Kung-Fu Hustle

isamu

What did you guys think of this movie? I thought it was quite bizarre, with some really really REALLY kick-ass action scenes. The comedic scenes fell flat with me, but the fights, the one at the end in particular was nothing short of amazing.

I thoroughly enjoyed Shaolin Soccer, and have been looking forward to this ever since I saw the trailer (several of them, actually) a month or two ago. I just hope I can see it unedited, with the original music and subtitles.

I still remember when they were going to bring Shaolin Soccer over, rename it Kung-Fu Soccer, replace the entire soundtrack with rap, and cut 40 minutes from the movie. *shudder*

saw the trailer last night. its very odd but some of the fight scenes looks cool bit animeish.

Not really animeish (well maybe SOMETIMES)... but they parody the Matrix genre, hollywood cinema and HK cinema IMHO... and some scenes also parody US cartoons.

I saw Kung Fu Hustle a while ago, WEIRD movie, but also really funny IMO.

The characters are really funny (the old lady and her husband... :p )and the action scenes are also very nice.

The end was kinda too much :rolleyes: but generally speaking I loved the movie, is weird, funny and very very different.

I got the Kung Fu Hustle DVD a month ago and it's really a jaw-dropping movie with great action. Not as funny as Shoalin Soccer, but the action is just as great, really hardcore and a bit dark. SOme of the heroes do get whacked. As for the humor, it's very suited for the world-public, you don't really have to understand wuxia culture, it's pretty much slapstick. It's more tailored to everyone than Chow's earlier 90s movies.

I'm going to see at the theater just for the hell of it... subbed or not. I'll be sure to pick up the DVD whenever it comes out to see it subbed.

Looks like a lot of fun from the trailers. Looking forward to it.

hehe, this movie rocked! I enjoyed it the first and second time. I just wish the last fighting scene was a little bit longer.

This film first came out back in December in Asia and broke the all time Hong Kong box office record. Not sure if Columbia Pictures made any edits, but if you want to see it in its original version, go get the HK version DVD that's out now.

On the surface, the movie may seem to be a crazy, slapstick comedy that parodies the Matrix, Spiderman, Bugs Bunny, and Dragon Ball, but at the heart of the film is a major homage to the 70's Hong Kong martial arts films and the realization of a child's dream. Hey, who doesn't want to become a super hero overnight?

All of the major actors/actresses, from Landlord/Landlady to the Beast, in the film are real kung fu masters. In fact, the landlord and landlady were both classmates of Jackie Chan. It is quite unusual for Stephen Chow to take the back seat and let these real masters have the spotlight throughout the picture. Furthermore, the final fight scene between Chow and the Axe gang was an obvious tribute to Bruce Lee's "Fist of Fury". In this climatic battle, not only did Chow dress like Lee, he also employed the simple yet lethal fighting style that Lee invented. All the other fighting styles/attacks in the film were also based on famous Chinese novels. For example, the "Lion's Roar" and the "Toad's Stance" were taken directly from the "Condor Heroes" trilogy by Jin Yong. Even the soundwave attack had its root in the novel "The Six Fingered Zen Devil". Finally, it is interesting how the progression of the film from old school choreography in the beginning to the CGI heavy battles at the end symbolizes the transformation that martial arts films have undergone in the past few years.

Start with one's childhood fantasy, pay your respect to those who inspired you, mix in with some CGI/comedy and top notch cinematography/editing, and you have a very entertaining film.

Ivan :rolleyes:

Edited by Ivan

This film first came out back in December in Asia and broke the all time Hong Kong box office record. Not sure if Columbia Pictures made any edits, but if you want to see it in its original version, go get the HK version DVD that's out now.

On the surface, the movie may seem to be a crazy, slapstick comedy that parodies the Matrix, Spiderman, Bugs Bunny, and Dragon Ball, but at the heart of the film is a major homage to the 70's Hong Kong martial arts films and the realization of a child's dream. Hey, who doesn't want to become a super hero overnight?

All of the major actors/actresses, from Landlord/Landlady to the Beast, in the film are real kung fu masters. In fact, the landlord and landlady were both classmates of Jackie Chan. It is quite unusual for Stephen Chow to take the back seat and let these real masters have the spotlight throughout the picture. Furthermore, the final fight scene between Chow and the Axe gang was an obvious tribute to Bruce Lee's "Fist of Fury". In this climatic battle, not only did Chow dress like Lee, he also employed the simple yet lethal fighting style that Lee invented. All the other fighting styles/attacks in the film were also based on famous Chinese novels. For example, the "Lion's Roar" and the "Toad's Stance" were taken directly from the "Condor Heroes" trilogy by Jin Yong. Even the soundwave attack had its root in the novel "The Six Fingered Zen Devil". Finally, it is interesting how the progression of the film from old school choreography in the beginning to the CGI heavy battles at the end symbolizes the transformation that martial arts films have undergone in the past few years.

Start with one's childhood fantasy, pay your respect to those who inspired you, mix in with some CGI/comedy and top notch cinematography/editing, and you have a very entertaining film.

Ivan :rolleyes:

wow you summed it up beautifully Ivan. I hadn't looked at it from that perspective before.

Inspiration comes both ways. The fight with the many members of the Ax gang definitely reminded me of the the Agent Smith burly brawl, which I know was a big hit in Japan after seeing the streets lined with Agent Smith wannabees for some convention or something. I dont see why it's so offending to admit that they soak up as much of their cultrure as much as we do theirs.

Most of this stuff IS very obvious to the average Chinese viewer who has actually read said works, and is made even funnier by the extremes taken. For most Western viewers it just flies right over their heads...

For example, my American friend who went along with us to watch Kung Fu Hustle couldn't get why everybody was giggling when the landlord and landlady introduced themselves. According to Chinese wuxia stories, they're each supposed to be the epitome of manliness and feminine beauty, respectively.

Oh well, as long as Stephen Chow managed to get everybody laughing, it's all good :)

yes there is blood

really? I was thinking it odd seeing that cat being sliced up in mid-air with not a drop of liquid splattered all over the place... then again, maybe I'm just desensitized, so I don't see the blood, lol

The cat gets sliced in silouhette and then the actual blood hits the shed behind the guy as he's walking away.

Anyway, I just saw a screening last night. It was funny as hell. It was subbed for those of you wondering.

It amuses me when people say a martial arts movie is a parody of or homage to the Matrix, when the Matrix itself was one big homage to old kung-fu movies.

I'm guessing when he says "parodies the Matrix" he means that they use that 360 degree camera shot and I believe the director of matrix had a small hand in this movie as well.

It amuses me when people say a martial arts movie is a parody of or homage to the Matrix, when the Matrix itself was one big homage to old kung-fu movies.

I'm guessing when he says "parodies the Matrix" he means that they use that 360 degree camera shot and I believe the director of matrix had a small hand in this movie as well.

Uh I think you mean the Stunt Cordinator NOT the Director?

Yen Woo Ping is a Big time Martial Arts Instructor for HK and Hollywood.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0950759/

Actually, Sammo Hung (Martial Law) was the original choreographer of the movie, but halfway through the production, he and Chow had a difference of opinions and quit. Yuen Wo Ping (Matrix) eventually took over.

Actually, Sammo Hung (Martial Law) was the original choreographer of the movie, but halfway through the production, he and Chow had a difference of opinions and quit. Yuen Wo Ping (Matrix) eventually took over.

Yuen Wo Ping is actually better :lol:

• 3 months later...

This movie is totally overrated. It's actually amongst the worst of Chow films. What irks me even more is how Westerners all think he's a "martial artist" and they label him as such in reviews like all other asian actors are supposed to be.

Sure he has good form and studied martial arts for a hobby but he is far from the calibur of true martial artists. He's just a comedian and an awesome one at that.

Chow's earlier comedy works are some of the funniest films ever made, however, the language barrier is sometimes difficult to leap.