Newbie Questions on Macross

When a Valk shifts modes, how does the gunpod get into the hand/ Just it just detach and the hand catches it as it extends, or does it slide out to be grasped by the hand as it emerges? And is there a control or something in the valk that decides if the gunpod stays on the arm or is in the hand? And if it is a catch, then u wouldnt wanna change while banking or something coz inertia may just flick the gunpod awaybefore the hand can catch it!

Depends on the VF. Depends on the circumstances. In some instances, the gunpod will detach and the arm catches it. In some, the gunpod will move into position to be received by the hand. In some, the gunpod can be manually ejected. But this happens in a blink of the eye so it's hard to tell what goes on.

Edited by azrael

In some sences you see the gun pod still attached to the arm with the barrel facing upward when the Valk goes to Battaloid mode and also in Gerwalk mode so they just reach over and grab it. But as Azrael stated, there are so many diffrent ways of transfering the Gunpod.

Edited by Goshawk

In some sences you see the gun pod still attached to the arm with the barrel facing upward when the Valk goes to Battaloid mode and also in Gerwalk mode so they just reach over and grab it. But as Azrael stated, there are so many diffrent ways of transfering the Gunpod.

Can you attach the gunpod backwards in a 1/48?

I don't have one so I can't actually try and see...

Does the VF-4 have a gunpod? In the M3 op, they seem to have gunpods but in the compendium, it mentions they only have missiles and the beam cannons. In the Macross PS2 game, the VF-4 has dual vulcans in place of where the beam cannons should be.

So what gives?

Can you attach the gunpod backwards in a 1/48?

With a little filing work...yes.

Does the VF-4 have a gunpod? In the M3 op, they seem to have gunpods but in the compendium, it mentions they only have missiles and the beam cannons.

No, the VF-4 does not come standard with a gunpod. Although, I won't be surprised if it borrowed a VF-1's gunpod.

In the Macross PS2 game, the VF-4 has dual vulcans in place of where the beam cannons should be. So what gives?

They're just messin with you. <_<

Just wondering:

A) In Macross zero episode 1: shin tries to take out nora with the 20mm vulcan.

Question: If his such a good pilot why the heck did'nt he just use sidewinders or the AMRAAM or was that sparrows he had?

B) on the vf-0 and the vf-1 DYRL and TV versions.

Question: this has bugged me for quite a while, Why is it that the vf-0 use the cockpit configuration were the "joystick" is in the right hand corner, but when it came to first gen vf-1's the stick was at the center then in later models goes back to the right? any ideas why that happened?

C) BTW, which scene is this from in macross zero? or this this some box/cover art?

Thanks!!!!

post-2-1115951159.jpg

Edited by grss1982

Just wondering:

Question: If his such a good pilot why the heck did'nt he just use sidewinders or the AMRAAM or was that sparrows he had?

Question: this has bugged me for quite a while, Why is it that the vf-0 use the cockpit configuration were the "joystick" is in the right hand corner, but when it came to first gen vf-1's the stick was at the center then in later models goes back to the right? any ideas why that happened?

C) BTW, which scene is this from in macross zero? or this this some box/cover art?

Thanks!!!!

Maybe due the fact the sv-51 stealth system it couldn't be locked with standard missiles(I don't know how those missiles works aniways), or just it that case the vulcan was more effective, I can remember how hard was in ace combat 4 take the yellow squadron down with missiles, vulcan was the fastest way, but its an arcade game.

Just wondering:

Thanks!!!!

A) As stated, the SV-51 uses an active stealth system. Radar lock was not possible. Why not a Sidewinder? Who knows. Maybe he knew a heat-seeker won't be as effective.

B) Production-wise, perhaps Kawamori likes the side-stick controller. Story-wise. No clue. Perhaps they though the side-stick/throttle/mode-select/battroid controller system was better than having 4 sticks plus various throttles, levers, etc.

C) that is from Episode 5. It might have been one of the scenes that was cut out of the final release.

Over on Air Warriors one of the oldtime pilots was talking about how to turn your body during a dogfight:

I can't speak for this driver or this engagement, but when the opponent is on the "wrong" side of your cockpit and you are turning, grunting, straining, and twisting around to see him, keep him in sight, and/or see where he is going --- sometimes you have to switch hands on the stick to keep the high "g" turn going....

The PCL (power control lever) or whatever they call it today might be full forward at MRT --- and you leave it there --- while you switch "stick hands" to grab onto the canopy bow handle or something else with your right hand and pull/push yourself further around. Does that make sense ??? Kind of takes that option away with a side-stick controller on one side panel console instead of a stick between your legs..... ???

C) that is from Episode 5. It might have been one of the scenes that was cut out of the final release.

Damn another cut scene!!! and it looks as cool as the other cut scene where the vf-0s and the vf-0d are flying side by side, remmeber that one azrael?

with so many cut scenes it really make me angry enough to shoot the makers of zero. AAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHH!!! MGSmiley.gif

sorry about that just ranting.

BTW on the bright side this might support the theory of some that a macross zero movie is indeed possible, right?

Edited by grss1982

Damn another cut scene!!! and it looks as cool as the other cut scene where the vf-0s and the vf-0d are flying side by side, remmeber that one azrael?

with so many cut scenes it really make me angry enough to shoot the makers of zero. AAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHH!!!

It's not for us to decide what stays and what gets cut. The scene was probably redundant so I don't see why it should not have been cut. It's the way film works.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question, in Macross Plus both the VF-19 and VF-21 get canned for the Ghost X-9. Can the X-9 even transform into a giant mecha? And since I have not seen M7 did they keep using the X-9 after the Sharron Apple incident?

The X-9 does not transform, it is an AI controlled mecha. The YF-19 and YF-21 were not "canned" after it's introduction. The YF-19, which was the only survivor of that incident, was accepted as Project Supernova's winner and successor to the VF-11, and rechristened the VF-19 Excalibur. The YF-21 was redesignated the VF-22 Sturmvogel and was used later on by a select few. It lost it's BDI system though, and a more conventional control system was installed.

This question has been buggin me for quite a while now:

Why is it that their's a gap when adopting new subsytems for VFs in the macross universe:

take for example the picture below: both the yf-19 and the vf-11 can be transformed to their different modes by means of manipulating the left side throttle, but why is it in some scenes of SDF Macross, i see the ugly three lever configuration, i think it was hikaru doing it on his vf-1s?

post-2-1118479783_thumb.jpg

Fictional world answer: Perhaps there was some technical hangup to the more elegant system, or nobody had come up with the switch-in-throttle system. You have to remember the VF-1 was the first dedicated production variable fighter (the VF-0 doesn't count, as it's a prototype, IIRC). It would have a more primitive way of doing things, just as WW1 fighters had to have their propellers hand-cranked to prime the engine for starting. By the time that the events of Plus started, someone had come up with a better mousetrap and had devised a more logical and less distracting method of changing modes.

Real-world answer: The designers though it looked cool at the time, and later revised it for later shows.

The YF-19, which was the only survivor of that incident, was accepted as Project Supernova's winner and successor to the VF-11, and rechristened the VF-19 Excalibur.
Actually, there were at least 2 prototypes of the YF-19 and YF-21 during the Sharon Apple incident. The YF-19 was chosen but not because it was the only one to survive.
And since I have not seen M7 did they keep using the X-9 after the Sharron Apple incident?
Yes, the Ghost is still around. However it's controversial AI is no longer part of the package. You train with Ghosts in Macross VF-X 2.

This question has been buggin me for quite a while now:

Why is it that their's a gap when adopting new subsytems for VFs in the macross universe:

take for example the picture below: both the yf-19 and the vf-11 can be transformed to their different modes by means of manipulating the left side throttle, but why is it in some scenes of SDF Macross, i see the ugly three lever configuration, i think it was hikaru doing it on his vf-1s?

The flip-up throttle was, in the Macross timeline, originally introduced on late-model VF-1s. The ones you see in the TV series are too "young" to have it, but it WAS introduced on teh VF-1.

Real-world, it was part of the redesign everything went through when they were producing DYRL. So it was STILL introduced on the VF-1.

Edited by JB0

Okay I have some more questions, please dont get mad at me. :(

Why is Macross 7 so hated? From reading the forums it seems like only a few folks like it.

And I just found out about Macross Zero, what is this about? Is it any good?

Okay I have some more questions, please dont get mad at me. :(

Why is Macross 7 so hated? From reading the forums it seems like only a few folks like it.

And I just found out about Macross Zero, what is this about? Is it any good?

It's not as hated as the forums make it sound. Really.

It IS, however, a very polarizing show. People love it or hate it, there's very rarely an in-between position.

Macross Zero is a prequel to the original TV series.

I'd say watch MacZero definitely, and give Mac7 a look if you have some spare time.

hi everyone, one queston that bugged me for quite some time. why many protoculture designed mechas seem to be based on one eyed organisms, like the zentraedi regults, glaug, nousjeadul-ger, etc. even later mechas like the bird men?.

could this be a clue to the protoculture phisical aspect or based on protoculture worlds native organisms?

hi everyone, one queston that bugged me for quite some time. why many protoculture designed mechas seem to be based on one eyed organisms, like the zentraedi regults, glaug, nousjeadul-ger, etc. even later mechas like the bird men?.

could this be a clue to the protoculture phisical aspect or based on protoculture worlds native organisms?

That's how they're designed. Why do VFs have faces? That's how they're designed (even a mouth-less eye(s) only look is still a face).

In the compendium the sv-51 is stated to have only one spare clip, however, it can be clearly seen in the pick below that it has two clips in each leg.

Actually...That looks like the gunpod on the left.... Could I get the episode # and time please. I'll check later.

In the compendium the sv-51 is stated to have only one spare clip, however, it can be clearly seen in the pick below that it has two clips in each leg.

Actually...That looks like the gunpod on the left.... Could I get the episode # and time please. I'll check later.

last episode, cant be sure of the time but this was before DD get creamed by the lasers of the birdman, you know the one where he transforms to battroid mode and gets shot to bits.

BTW, that could'nt be a gunpod, since the gundpod is supposed to be in the outer portion of the right leg, check out the transformation sequence:

post-2-1108584227.jpg

pay special attention to the right leg of the sv-51.

post-2-1119059682.jpg

Edited by grss1982

Actually, the transformation of the VFs via the throttle control was introduced in DYRL. Plus, a few books seem to treat that style transformation as an upgrade to the VF-1.

last episode, cant be sure of the time but this was before DD get creamed by the lasers of the birdman, you know the one where he transforms to battroid mode and gets shot to bits.

BTW, that could'nt be a gunpod, since the gundpod is supposed to be in the outer portion of the right leg, check out the transformation sequence:

pay special attention to the right leg of the sv-51.

You do know the lower leg rotates on a SV-51, right? In the first pic you posted, the SV-51 is in GERWALK mode, were the legs don't rotate. In Battroid mode, the legs rotate such that the knees bend the "correct" way. In the original pic you posted, the gunpod barrel is pointed down, which is correct when transforming from Fighter to GERWALK. Since the leg rotates in Battroid mode, the gunpod moves to the "outside" of the leg. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with that pic.

• 4 weeks later...
You do know the lower leg rotates on a SV-51, right? In the first pic you posted, the SV-51 is in GERWALK mode, were the legs don't rotate. In Battroid mode, the legs rotate such that the knees bend the "correct" way. In the original pic you posted, the gunpod barrel is pointed down, which is correct when transforming from Fighter to GERWALK. Since the leg rotates in Battroid mode, the gunpod moves to the "outside" of the leg. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with that pic.

Oh I see. so the legs rotate. did'nt know that. :D

Anyway on to another topic:

Somebody could tell me why the vf pilot that Nora nailed on the ground in episode two have a higher rank than Roy Focker.

Im assuming that the PL on their names means pilot, which is no rank at all, i think. While that unfortunate guy Nora nailed has LCDR then his name Tim Baker, which i assume means, LT. Commander, which is a real rank.

Please see the pics below.

post-2502-1121303717_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what PL means...but IIRC Roy Focker was a Sho Sa (Major) even in Macross Zero.

And nothing wrong with a higher ranking dude getting shot out of the sky. Lotsa crap happens during war. It doesn't mean the grunts die and the commanders don't. Being a commander doesn't give you more HP regardless of what games teach you. :lol: sorry, black humour.

I'm not sure what PL means...but IIRC Roy Focker was a Sho Sa (Major) even in Macross Zero.

And nothing wrong with a higher ranking dude getting shot out of the sky. Lotsa crap happens during war. It doesn't mean the grunts die and the commanders don't.

Hence why Focker bit it later, while Hikaru and Max survived through teh war.

Being a commander doesn't give you more HP regardless of what games teach you.  :lol:  sorry, black humour.

310498[/snapback]

Sure it does. 'S why Skull One didn't explode when Focker got shot.

Being a commander doesn't give you more HP regardless of what games teach you.  :lol:  sorry, black humour.

310498[/snapback]

310500[/snapback]

:D, Good one wolfx.

BTW, nice to hear from you, azrael. :p

Its nice to be back in the forums!!!!!!! tomcat.gif

310498[/snapback]

310500[/snapback]

:D, Good one wolfx.

BTW, nice to hear from you, azrael. :p

Its nice to be back in the forums!!!!!!! tomcat.gif

310597[/snapback]

Not to nitpick or anything, but that was actually my reply to wolfx's comment that a higher rank didn't give you more HP.

Question:

I want to watch Macross 7, but I only speak english. What do I do?

Get a fansub? Buy a bootleg? Wait for an english release -- or is there one already? What's my best bet?

311260[/snapback]

Option 1. Getting a fansub is possible, they are out there, but it may take some doing. But it's probably your best bet, if you look below.

Option 2. NO. Bootlegs are bad. Not only are you supporting organized crime, but organized crime that cannot comprehend either the Japanese or English languages.

Option 3. That will be a long wait...right now, any further Macross releases outside of what's already here (TV, II and Plus) is dependent on an amicable resolution to a number of ongoing or threatened lawsuits.