Newbie Questions on Macross

I got a question...when I was watching Macross II and Plus I saw something intresting when songs where sang. On Macross II I got a clearer view of it, when Ishtar sings you see this ship looking like a kite with a birght pink backround. My brother said it was the original SDF-1 when first built but what is it? It looks like it but how does it clearly look I dont get the structure one bit...can someone help me this is real intresting and I would like everyone to know about it, any ideas? This is real intresting though....

Edited by Dean

I got a question...when I was watching Macross II and Plus I saw something intresting when songs where sang. On Macross II I got a clearer view of it, when Ishtar sings you see this ship looking like a kite with a birght pink backround. My brother said it was the original SDF-1 when first built but what is it? It looks like it but how does it clearly look I dont get the structure one bit...can someone help me this is real intresting and I would like everyone to know about it, any ideas? This is real intresting though....

334618[/snapback]

Screenshot please? I think I know what you're talking about but I would like to see a screenshot. Thanks.

I think he is referring to the "Allus"  The marduk mythical ship that willbring them peace.  She confuses the SDF with that.  There really is not a detailed pic of it and it looks like a CG blur...

334861[/snapback]

That's what I'm thinking but I want to be sure about it. Which is why I requested a screenshot.

Sorry cant get a screenie my DVD drive is jammed. Anyways I saw it in Plus I just know I did it was like a 1 sec showing of it. I realy wonder if its the original Macross?

334883[/snapback]

Can you name the episode and time of the scene? If you can't, then we can't answer the question.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I still do consider myself quite new to the Macross universe. After seeing 2012 Flashback, I noticed well quite a few things.

Hayase now looks like she's the commander of the of Megaroad.

Now what exactly is this Megaroad?

From wikipedia:

SDF-2 Megaroad

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jump to: navigation, search

In the fictional series Macross, this was to be the second Macross-class Super Dimension Fortress, but went on to become the first long-distance Megaroad-class colony ship.

Construction began on the lunar surface at Apollo Base in November of 2003. Due to Space War One with the Zentradi in 2009, construction was halted before completion.

After the end of the Space War, construction on the half-completed SDF-2 resumed in June of 2010, this time as a colony vessel. Renamed the SDF-2 Megaroad-01, the ship launched in September of 2012 with the capacity for over 80,000 colonists. Construction on the second and third ships of this new class, Megaroad-02 and Megaroad-03 began in September 2012 to coincide with the launch.

Although it was originally a UN attempt to copy the SDF-1 Macross, the completed SDF-2 Megaroad-01 is vastly different in size and hull design.

Command of the Megaroad-01 was given to war hero Misa Hayase Ichijyo. Aboard the fleet were her husband, Hikaru Ichijyo, and the famous idol singer Lynn Minmay.

The Megaroad-01 set out towards the center of the galaxy in 2012. Though it was kept from the public for years, four years after its launch, all contact with the fleet ceased.

In total, at least 13 vessels of this new Megaroad class were built and launched. They were later replaced by the New Macross-class colonization ships.

So what series is this exactly in? or was it just another thing they put in 2012 like the VF-4 Lightning?

****SPOILER****

Also, I think I did read in the Macross timeline that Hikaru does marry Hayase in the end... can't remember when exactly.

Well I still do consider myself quite new to the Macross universe.  After seeing 2012 Flashback, I noticed well quite a few things.

Hayase now looks like she's the commander of the of Megaroad.

Now what exactly is this Megaroad? 

From wikipedia:

SDF-2 Megaroad

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jump to: navigation, search

In the fictional series Macross, this was to be the second Macross-class Super Dimension Fortress, but went on to become the first long-distance Megaroad-class colony ship.

Construction began on the lunar surface at Apollo Base in November of 2003. Due to Space War One with the Zentradi in 2009, construction was halted before completion.

After the end of the Space War, construction on the half-completed SDF-2 resumed in June of 2010, this time as a colony vessel. Renamed the SDF-2 Megaroad-01, the ship launched in September of 2012 with the capacity for over 80,000 colonists. Construction on the second and third ships of this new class, Megaroad-02 and Megaroad-03 began in September 2012 to coincide with the launch.

Although it was originally a UN attempt to copy the SDF-1 Macross, the completed SDF-2 Megaroad-01 is vastly different in size and hull design.

Command of the Megaroad-01 was given to war hero Misa Hayase Ichijyo. Aboard the fleet were her husband, Hikaru Ichijyo, and the famous idol singer Lynn Minmay.

The Megaroad-01 set out towards the center of the galaxy in 2012. Though it was kept from the public for years, four years after its launch, all contact with the fleet ceased.

In total, at least 13 vessels of this new Megaroad class were built and launched. They were later replaced by the New Macross-class colonization ships.

So what series is this exactly in? or was it just another thing they put in 2012 like the VF-4 Lightning?

The Megaroad only shows up in 2012.

But it was mentioned at the end of the original series.

****SPOILER****

Also, I think I did read in the Macross timeline that Hikaru does marry Hayase in the end... can't remember when exactly.

There's not a single set date.

The Compendium runs with June 2012 in the chronology, but mentions that several dates are offered up in diffrent references.

http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/2010/index.html

So I take it that mahq.com has more accurate data on mecha-aniem related things?  That's pretty much the source I look at, but I was wondering what wiki had to say about it.  :o

337356[/snapback]

MAHQ's data is closer when it comes to Gundam and Tomino's works rather Macross (and there are issues with MAHQ and Macross). I ignore MAHQ's Macross section since we have the Compendium. And from the looks of it, even Egan Loo has had to go in there and fix some things in Wiki... <_<

So I take it that mahq.com has more accurate data on mecha-aniem related things?  That's pretty much the source I look at, but I was wondering what wiki had to say about it.  :o

337356[/snapback]

The Macross "bible" is Macross Compendium.

Unlike literally every other online source, the Compendium is officially sanctioned by Big West, and everything there is guaranteed offical and as accurate as is currently available.

• 1 month later...

Why do mylene's ears look pointy (like Sivil's) in one of the macross 7 encore episodes?

Like Exedol, who changed his appearance, did she undergo some kind of genetic modification to have them extended or some cosmetic surgery on them, or was this a mistake? :D

It is in the episode "which one do you love?"

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Why do mylene's ears look pointy (like Sivil's) in one of the macross 7 encore episodes?

Like Exedol, who changed his appearance, did she undergo some kind of genetic modification to have them extended or some cosmetic surgery on them, or was this a mistake? :D

351606[/snapback]

Different animation group. Her ears are slightly pointy but not really that pointy according to the lineart. Blame the animators.

351606[/snapback]

Different animation group. Her ears are slightly pointy but not really that pointy according to the lineart. Blame the animators.

351626[/snapback]

If I recall, they drew Millia's ears a little pointy through the entire series.

Yeah but these were sort of sticking outwards like the zolan elf people.

normal round ear:

myleneear6mf.jpg

Elf ears:

myleneear24ln.jpg

Miria also looks a little Spock-ish with pointy ear but they are not pointed outwards like this. I think what happened is later on Mylene was insecure about her looks and with her success she decided to get ear enhancements. (like breast enlargement, only for ears instead) She was obviously jealous at all the attention Basara was giving Sivil so she changed her appearance. Or maybe it's a disease she caught from one of the planets that mutates the person. Kind of like the pink-skinned alien Rick Hunter from the robotech comic.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few questions I've been wondering since I started on MW, it involves M0.

What I do not understand is what exactly was the purpose of the alien guardian? In the final OVA it asks Sara if mankind has created ships that can reach the stars/skies and if man has stopped all wars. Based on her answers the "thing" seemingly goes full auto IMO.

Was it suppose to destroy mankind if he failed to end all wars? I honestly do not understand its purpose. Clearly it is not a messenger, if anything else IMO it was more like a guardian that was executing the will/deepest emotions of the priestess entrusted to protect it. Thoughts? Thanks! :)

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I always figured that the Guardian was like Q or the Vulcans in Star Trek-an advanced entity watching and waiting to see if humans had progressed beyond self destructiveness and primitive technologies, and then acting accordingly; I don't think it's any of their business though..

Edited by myk

I always figured that the Guardian was like Q or the Vulcans in Star Trek-an advanced entity watching and waiting to see if humans had progressed beyond self destructiveness and primitive technologies, and then acting accordingly; I don't think it's any of their business though..

359041[/snapback]

Actually, it kinda was their business. When they died, they wanted to make sure that no one else made the same mistakes they did and since we are their "decendents"*, they found it best that no one follows the path they did. Their mistakes lead to civil war and their eventual destruction.

Was it suppose to destroy mankind if he failed to end all wars?

Kinda. This was a lesson and a test (that's the best i can describe it).

Since this is the newbie thread, I'll leave this piece of reading:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=11498

Feel free to add to it. Next question?

*By "decendents" I mean we are one of the many inheriters of the galaxy they helped define and shaped. Although Protoculture did work on Earth, our evolution was still largely unaffected by Protoculture and our world was shaped by ourselves.

I think love may have something to do with it too.

Mao kissed Shin underwater and the thing reacted by glowing, something she mentions has never happened before.

The song of destruction could be the weapons which are used to 'clean' earth of the people responsible for the destruction. The anti-un pilots are a good example, for having burnt the forest and as a result destroying all the living things inside it, which I assume the earlier culture needed to survive, having been dependant on 'nature' for independance from an industrialised form of life in the city, which ultimatley leads to the creation of sophisticated weapons of war. Note how the peaceful community fishes, hunts for food etc as opposed to buying from a shop? Even though they are curious about technology thier religion is pretty strict and they view technology as evil.

The song of creation could be when two people come together and create life through thier love. (ie through sex and union of two people - the zentradi learnt this part of culture in the tv series - when two races mate they created Mylene; a symbol and proof of peace between alien and human cultures. Her mixed blood was used to gain access to the ancient ruins in macross 7 as a key to unlock the secrets of the past. So whoever thought up the alien PC technology knew what was going to happen thousands of years in advance, and planned all this ahead of time)

In the last episode, because sara was in love with shin, the alien mecha stopped the destruction. (perhaps similar to the reaction earlier when Mao and Shin were kissing in front of it) So you could say that maybe the mech is alive and controlled by the pilots emotion. (just my theory) Or it could just be preprogrammed with commands by the previous people who put it there. (kind of like the sdf1 automatic firing of the main gun at the zentradi in ep1 of the tv series)

So destruction/creation in a sense are related depending on how it was used. The nutty old man was explaining they are just 2 faces of the same coin. If Sara had not changed her emotions from hate to love at the last minute, the mech might have just kept destroying stuff. If man didn't learn the lesson and continued it might have resulted in a "reset". Think Turn A gundam and the destruction it caused. It can be either feared by the people attacked by it, or praised by those who see it as a saviour, depending on how you look at it.

Yup, I pretty much concur with your ideas too. :D Dare I say it? Suuure... the love between Sara and Shin and Mao and Shin was critical IMO to control the alien mecha. Love conquers all! :lol::p COuldn't resist. :p But seriously, I wonder what would've happened if Shin didn't udnerstand he needed to trust Sara and release his weapons. Asides from being blown to bits, would Sara have even realized she killed him? I get the impression she wasn't completely aware of what she was going as the pilot and that she could not control the alien mecha. I doubt she activated something that made the mecha go full auto, so it must've been preprogrammed with somekind of preservation mode. :ph34r:

But seriously, I wonder what would've happened if Shin didn't udnerstand he needed to trust Sara and release his weapons.

Byebye world.

Asides from being blown to bits, would Sara have even realized she killed him? I get the impression she wasn't completely aware of what she was going as the pilot and that she could not control the alien mecha. I doubt she activated something that made the mecha go full auto, so it must've been preprogrammed with somekind of preservation mode.  :ph34r:

359186[/snapback]

I thought it was sort of like a mind meld.

Sara was in there, but her mind was mixed in with the guardian's.

Hence, something that would've seemed abhorent and perhaps even evil to Sara(not necessarily evil, since they WERE violent muderous technophiles) was perfectly rational to GuardianSara, as the Guardian was strongly of the opinion that if we'd made it that far and were still shooting the crap out of each other then we needed to be blasted back to the stone age to try again.

As I see it, the MacZero guardian was a lot like the tower in the NES game Crystalis(a game I strongly recommend playing).

It was an artifact from a civilzation that was destroyed by warfare, and programmed by it's creators to make sure the new society doesn't go down teh same route by brute-forcing any screw-ups out of existence before they can kill everyone, and essentially rebooting the civilization for another chance.

And like the tower, it had a safety mechanism built-in because a human involved in the decision could over-ride the initial activation and shut it down(the activator in MacZero, the artifact's creators in Crystalis).

Edited by JB0

Actually, it kinda was their business. When they died, they wanted to make sure that no one else made the same mistakes they did and since we are their "decendents"*, they found it best that no one follows the path they did. Their mistakes lead to civil war and their eventual destruction.

I see what you're saying. What I didn't see was "their" desire to protect the "descendants." As far as I'm concerned, the gift of life should be enjoyed by a species capable of transcending above any behaviors that could lead to self-destruction. Obviously, humans don't fit into this category..

Well I think all life has potential for both good and bad. Some people do good and try not to do bad. Others do good but also do bad saying that: "well I am bad but look at the good I've done! I can continue to keep doing wrong if I do these good deeds as if the good I do cancels out the bad." The scientists using technology for weapons but also using them for beneficial purposes for good is an example.

And then you've got the people who just continue doing bad with no idea that what they are doing is harmful. The alien wants to make an example out of these by destroying them and it leaves a few messengers to carry on the lessen to future generations as a myth to warn them what will happen if you don't behave.. :D

And then the priests or whatever that survive the cataclysm create a death/rebirth creation story to explain it to young kidies with symbols so it is easier to understand. In many ways there is a lot of that kind of symbol in the way fish men warred with the bird men and what evolved were flying fish. Were the flying fish descendants of fish or bird? Did the two races in the myth both make peace and have children similar to zentradi with humans and create genetic hybrid? (there are different aliens in the macross world like whales that can fly, elf people, giants etc)

The Phoenix valkyrie does the same thing as a flying fish in the OVA when it dives into the water and then rises back up to fly in the air. Almost mimmicking the behaviour of the flying fish in the story. Some people think it was a joke ending when shin rises up out of the water though. But the phoenix rising up after a 'death' could be thier way of saying: the destruction or punishment half is over, thanks to the sacrifice shin made by giving his life for the human race as a demonstration to all of what can be done to avoid the punishment of an angry god. Now let the phoenix rising be the sign of a "rebirth" of the world out of the ashes of destruction. In this way I think they tried to make Shin out as a sort of messiah figure who saved the world. He saved the "gentiles" from the judgment and extended the right to keep living to all people, not just the holy priest/priestess or chosen few. This is very similar to the Bird human having its "head chopped off" in the legend. (protecting us from procacha by delaying the inevitiable for a time)

So by having the alien mech leaving a few people to live to tell the tales, there is hope or potential to do the right thing even if the destruction caused by the alien mech seems unjustified by some. It is sort of like a macross equivalent of the biblical flood which wiped out all the violent people but favoured descendants of Noah hoping his family would continue behaving through thier bloodline. Of course there is no ark, unless you think of the SDF1 being the "Ark of culture" after the zentradi tried to kill off earth with the "rain of death" in the tv series.

The zentradi came much closer to realising the extinction of humans than the bird mecha thing. In this way the technology could be used for "good" to help defend us against an alien race with even worse behaviour than us. Sure we humans did "deserve to die and be judged" but through love we can also forgive those doing wrong on us and find a way out of the cycle of death if given a fair chance. (that is what the bird human tried to do by cutting its head off so it couldn't be used as a weapon in the legend. It must have felt sorry for us and went against orders from high to kill us off, so it disables itself) I don't think all the PC were in agreement with each other so I think that there was a rogue faction that still had 'hope' in the humans and wanted the project to keep going while others wanted to terminate it. The bird human might have been the result of one of the human sympathisers to sabotage the earlier order to kill us off, not disimilar to the way Britai and Exedol sided with us humans agianst Bodol. So maybe there was like a similar thing in the past that prevented angry "Procacha", the god who kind of looks like a dragon to me in the painting, from having his way with us.

• 2 weeks later...

Another annoying heatshield color question...

Is the skull on Hikaru's red heatshield(s) supposed to be black-filled in the skull details AND outlined in black? Hard to tell if the black outline in these screenshots are there just for contrast in the animation, or if it is supposed to be outlined (like the hasegawa decals). Yamato stickers have no black at all, and Takatoy stickers are only black-filled.

HikaruVF-1A.jpg

HikaruVF-1S.jpg

Another annoying heatshield color question...

Is the skull on Hikaru's red heatshield(s) supposed to be black-filled in the skull details AND outlined in black? Hard to tell if the black outline in these screenshots are there just for contrast in the animation, or if it is supposed to be outlined (like the hasegawa decals). Yamato stickers have no black at all, and Takatoy stickers are only black-filled.

363719[/snapback]

There is a black outline...It's a thin line though. The Yamato toy line follows the DYRL? look, so it would be a white skull (the outline can be omitted since the white stands out over the colored heat shield) on a colored background. So the way it looks is correct.

But seriously, I wonder what would've happened if Shin didn't udnerstand he needed to trust Sara and release his weapons.

Byebye world.

Asides from being blown to bits, would Sara have even realized she killed him? I get the impression she wasn't completely aware of what she was going as the pilot and that she could not control the alien mecha. I doubt she activated something that made the mecha go full auto, so it must've been preprogrammed with somekind of preservation mode.  :ph34r:

359186[/snapback]

I thought it was sort of like a mind meld.

Sara was in there, but her mind was mixed in with the guardian's.

Hence, something that would've seemed abhorent and perhaps even evil to Sara(not necessarily evil, since they WERE violent muderous technophiles) was perfectly rational to GuardianSara, as the Guardian was strongly of the opinion that if we'd made it that far and were still shooting the crap out of each other then we needed to be blasted back to the stone age to try again.

As I see it, the MacZero guardian was a lot like the tower in the NES game Crystalis(a game I strongly recommend playing).

It was an artifact from a civilzation that was destroyed by warfare, and programmed by it's creators to make sure the new society doesn't go down teh same route by brute-forcing any screw-ups out of existence before they can kill everyone, and essentially rebooting the civilization for another chance.

And like the tower, it had a safety mechanism built-in because a human involved in the decision could over-ride the initial activation and shut it down(the activator in MacZero, the artifact's creators in Crystalis).

359193[/snapback]

That makes sense about the guardian artifact and how it was programmed to mindmeld with the priestress. I suppose that is why the guardian asked Sara if mankind has stopped all wars. This makes much more sense now. ;)

Hi. I have been a fan since the old Robotech days before I was enlightend by the true Macross :wub: heh heh. It is great to find a sight that talks about Macross that is actually currant! I read the previous Gazillion Noob pages yesterday (MY EYES!!!!!!) & I think this question would fit here.

What happend to the destroids after SW1 & the revolts. The newest picture I can come up with is from Studio Nue 1992 of a destroid Nanashi refers to as the Maverick.

I supose that

1. The nature of future fights with the Zentradi are such that only space capable Valks are needed.

2. The destroids were early attempts at Battroid like units that are not needed now that the Valks have been perfected.

I have scanned the Macross Bible/Eagan Loo's compendium & found nothing after the original destroids. I figured ya'll might be able to put light on the subject. B))

What happend to the destroids after SW1 & the revolts.  The newest picture I can come up with is from Studio Nue 1992 of a destroid Nanashi refers to as the Maverick.

363980[/snapback]

Valks proved to be more combat effective than Destroids. Variable mechs were much more effective and were preferred more over the walking tanks. Destroids are more museum pieces now. When you have things like the VB-6 König Monster, which has greater mobility, the need for the original Monster is exponentially reduced.

Edited by azrael