Newbie Questions on Macross

M0 and M7 are the highest-budget productions.

They sank more cash into the animation, which gave them the time and money to sit around working out proper pilot reactions.

Especially the original Macross series, which is somewhat famous for being shoestring budget and serious time crunch.

m7? dont you mean M+? i thought M7' animation sucked compared to M0's and M+

M0 and M7 are the highest-budget productions.

They sank more cash into the animation, which gave them the time and money to sit around working out proper pilot reactions.

Especially the original Macross series, which is somewhat famous for being shoestring budget and serious time crunch.

m7? dont you mean M+? i thought M7' animation sucked compared to M0's and M+

Yes, I did mean Plus. Thank you.

That reminds me, in macross plus how did Dyson actually avoid all those micromissiles that Guld unleashed upon him? Nobody could have survived that. When Dyson has a chat to Guld about it, he says that he did a special manuever like in the old days. Calling it the terasaur lift manuever. (Probably because the shadow of his plane looks like one of them flying dinobird things when you look at its shape from below). He cut the engines and just glided with the wind, somehow avoiding the missiles. Would just turning off the power be a useful tactic?

Isamu dropped flares and cut his engines. At that point, the flares would be the biggest heat-source for the mini-missiles to track.

Those planes were just floating in the air it seems.

They cut their engines then restarted them. That's why it seemed like they were floating.

I'm thinking that in space after you pushed yourself at high speed, maybe you could do a similar thing and rely on the forward movment you generated, turn the thing off, and fire away.

That would work. Unfortunately, I believe conventional training tells the pilot to throttle up and move.

i thought M7' animation sucked compared to M0's and M+

No TV budget ever warrents good animation for a long running series. The only TV show I've seen go for long stretch with good animation is Ghost in the Shell:SAC, but there are factors there that even it out.

just a quick question. what caliber are the munition used by variable fighters like the VF-0 and do the munition have explosive charges?, was watching the transformation sequence in mac 0 ep 1 in the part where roy shoots down the missiles we see he shoots many round to the background and half second later we see a line of explosions.

the explosive round would also make sense since that way they could maximize the damage uppon colission with the target.

just a quick question. what caliber are the munition used by variable fighters like the VF-0 and do the munition have explosive charges?, was watching the transformation sequence in mac 0 ep 1 in the part where roy shoots down the missiles we see he shoots many round to the background and half second later we see a line of explosions.

the explosive round would also make sense since that way they could maximize the damage uppon colission with the target.

The Macross Compendium ( http://www.anime.net/macross/index.html#menu )

is a good, probably the best, place to go for all questions technical as it relates to Macross... unlike some other sites, the stats posted there are canon and not fan conjecture for say, RPG's and the like.

Anyways, when Roy shoots down those missiles, he's using the lasers mounted on the head... that's why you see the explosions almost right away. And he's actually hitting the missiles themselves.

As for the gunpod, that thing fires 35mm rounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody could tell me what the heck is that red thingy on top of the triple barreled gun pod :huh: . i've never seen that in previous macross. not on the gu-11 of the vf-1 or the gu-15 of the vf/yf-19 or or the GUXX of the vf-11 or even on the gvl-17 (i think) of the vf-22/yf-21.

Or if i'm msitaken could somebody give me a shot or link of this type of thingy on another VF beside the vf-os. :blink:

Thanks!!!

Bscap000.jpg

Bscap014.jpg

its also on the 19 as well. must be something for targeting like the laser designator on the abrams or challenger tank gun barrels

*Ding ding ding ding* We have a winner.

Yes, it's just a targetting sensor for the gunpod. Think of it as sights on a gun...you won't be able to shoot straight without it. :)

Seems utterly plausible, but what is the source for that info?

A bit of conjecture. The VF-19 Custom, VF-11, VF-11MAXL Custom, VF-17, and the Fz-109, all seem to note that the gunpods have a sensor on them. So it can't just be a coincidence. The lineart for the VF-5000's gunpod also points to a similar bump with what looks like the word "sensor" pointing to that bump.

This is my first post and I would like to say hi first of all. Second of all I am starting to get back into anime and I love, no matter how much it is frowned upon here, Robotech. I haven't seen any more than the Macross saga and I almost don't care to. I love the mecha designs in the Macross saga and the characters. Are there any more series or movies that include Rick(Hikaru), Lisa(Misa), and Minmei? I would really like to know what happens between Rick and Lisa in the future. I have seen one Macross movie, I don't know the name, in which there were 2 competing designs of new mecha and something to do with a concert. I saw it when I was little and don't remember a lot of it. I would like to experience all that is Macross if at all possible. I have an old Jetfire toy that was my brothers but it's pretty beat up. I would be interested in getting a Max style VF, any ideas where to get one? Sorry if these are too noobish questions but I thought I would ask. Thanks and I hope to stick around a while!!

Hi there!

Macross Plus is teh one with the two competeing test pilots and creepy concert. There are a two volume OVa version and the movei version, whcih both have their own different bits, so you;ll want both. It is quite possibly the best Macross story with the best mecha IMO.

You'll also need to know the difference between SDF-Macross the TV series,a nd Do You Remeber Love, the movie. They are alt/ versions of the original story, and DYRL has much better animation but less mecha fighting (bu what's there is amazing!) The actual cannon is somewhere between the two depictions if I remember right.

As for toys.... there's alot of choices. Jetifre is the Transformer using teh 1/55 (Chunky Munkey) mold. It is a great solid design that plays well, but isn; quite as accurate as some others. The Yamato 1/60 is meant to be displayed in fighter mode, so it si proportioned as such. It requires you to remove the legs to transform it, and shoulder posability is crappy bc/ of a desing flaw. The Yamato 1/48 is the king, it is perfect transofrmation (no parts swap), more posable, more accurate, more detail, and better proportioned, but it is EXPENSIVE. It also has minimal die cast metal in it. The 1/60 has alot of Die cast, as do teh 1/55s/

Hope this helps some! There are also 1/72 toys of the Mac+ Valks.... my favs!

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Now a very noob question. What is an OVA? I feel like a moron now. Does the story between Macross and Robotech vary greatly or is it basically the same besides RT setting up the later episodes? I'm wondering if I should try to get the Macross saga on DVD as well or just stick with the RT version and get DYRL. Also any preferred places to get these DVD's or toys? Again I appreciate the welcome and the help.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Now a very noob question. What is an OVA? I feel like a moron now. Does the story between Macross and Robotech vary greatly or is it basically the same besides RT setting up the later episodes? I'm wondering if I should try to get the Macross saga on DVD as well or just stick with the RT version and get DYRL. Also any preferred places to get these DVD's or toys? Again I appreciate the welcome and the help.

An OVA is a straight-to-video animation. OVAs usually have higher animation budgets and timescales than TV animations, so are generally of higher quality.

For the differences between RT and Macross, you can look in this helpful thread.

An OVA is a straight-to-video animation. OVAs usually have higher animation budgets and timescales than TV animations, so are generally of higher quality.

For the differences between RT and Macross, you can look in this helpful thread.

Wow, you guys are awesome. Looks like I will be ordering some DVD's soon. Thanks a lot for your help. I know FYE at the mall has Macross Plus the movie for sale, I might go pick that up to tide me over if I order the Macross series.

This is my first post and I would like to say hi first of all. Second of all I am starting to get back into anime and I love, no matter how much it is frowned upon here, Robotech. I haven't seen any more than the Macross saga and I almost don't care to. I love the mecha designs in the Macross saga and the characters. Are there any more series or movies that include Rick(Hikaru), Lisa(Misa), and Minmei? I would really like to know what happens between Rick and Lisa in the future.

Kawamori wants greatly to never touch them again.

Nothing mroe has been animated aside from DYRL(a semi-retelling of the original series) and Flashback 2012(a collection of music videos, basically. It carries us through to the launch of the Megaroad 1).

The short version is... Hikaru marrries Misa.

Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay leave on the Megaroad 1 colony mission, with Misa as captain(and why she let Minmay aboard I'll never know).

They disappear near the center of the galaxy, never to be seen again.

This is my first post and I would like to say hi first of all. Second of all I am starting to get back into anime and I love, no matter how much it is frowned upon here, Robotech. I haven't seen any more than the Macross saga and I almost don't care to. I love the mecha designs in the Macross saga and the characters. Are there any more series or movies that include Rick(Hikaru), Lisa(Misa), and Minmei? I would really like to know what happens between Rick and Lisa in the future.

Kawamori wants greatly to never touch them again.

Nothing mroe has been animated aside from DYRL(a semi-retelling of the original series) and Flashback 2012(a collection of music videos, basically. It carries us through to the launch of the Megaroad 1).

The short version is... Hikaru marrries Misa.

Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay leave on the Megaroad 1 colony mission, with Misa as captain(and why she let Minmay aboard I'll never know).

They disappear near the center of the galaxy, never to be seen again.

That really sucks. That was one of the parts I most identified with, struggling with feelings of love and not knowing what to do. Anyway enough of me being all sensitive. I've ordered DYRL and I'm going to pick up Macross Plus the movie version on my next day off. This board has been a great resource already and I think I found the toy I want. The Yamato 1/48 scale Max Super VF-1J. Is that a good one to buy? Max was kinda always my favorite character and blue is my favorite color.

This board has been a great resource already and I think I found the toy I want. The Yamato 1/48 scale Max Super VF-1J. Is that a good one to buy?

There's more here than just the forums.....

http://www.macrossworld.com

Again, please see the following links for answers and info about Macross:

http://www.anime.net/macross/

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=228

We also have a wonderful toy section and if you search, you'll find reviews of the Yamato 1/48 Max VF-1J in there (and plenty of pics).

Forgive me if this has been answered before. And I know it has since every question ever thought has an already told answer. But, is there an English version of DYRL? I already ordered the Perfect Edition DVD from the Valkyrie Exchange and I'm sure I'll love it even if I have to read but it would be cool to hear it in my native tounge as well. I once saw Macross Plus on satelite at my brother's house and it was in english. It was on the Action channel and from my searching the movie was only subbed. Were they per chance showing the OVA instead? I plan to get both just cause though. Now from reading some older threads I notice a lot of people saying that for someone seeing DYRL? without seeing the original series will be semi lost. I've never seen Macross the series, only Robotech which I love, but I have read and understand the differences between them. IE: Robotech is censored and dumbed down a bit for a younger audience as well as some plot points, the difference between Protoculture etc... Will I be lost or will I enjoy the film? Again thanks for the info and I'm trying to get my friends hooked as well.

Good news and bad news for you...

Good news: there is an English language version of DYRL, it's called Clash of the Bionoids (or some such).

Bad news: It's almost completely unwatchable.

Even if you've only seen Robotech, you should be able to follow along with DYRL just fine.. there are some differences... don't worry about it, just keep in mind that DYRL is a dramatization and some stuff has been changed... there characters are much closer to the originial SDF tv show, compared to Robotech...

Have fun.

I once saw Macross Plus on satelite at my brother's house and it was in english. It was on the Action channel and from my searching the movie was only subbed. Were they per chance showing the OVA instead?

Yes.

The Plus OVA was dubbed. The movie never was, not even for the DVD release.

Even if you've only seen Robotech, you should be able to follow along with DYRL just fine.. there are some differences... don't worry about it, just keep in mind that DYRL is a dramatization and some stuff has been changed... there characters are much closer to the originial SDF tv show, compared to Robotech...

For the most part, you should be able to be able to follow it just fine. DYRL? is a bit more of a dramatization of SDF:Macross. It is a compressed version of the original series with different twists to how some things come about.

Although it would help to have watched the original series, it's not a requirement. As the old saying goes, just forget everything you remember from Robotech and watch.

...dumbed down a bit for a younger audience...

Dumbed it down??? Maybe. Adapted for an American audience, definitely. Certain aspects of Japanese culture don't translate well to an American audience, therefore, those references had to be removed.

All this talk of how much better the Macross series is compared to the Robotech version has me wanting to see it. What I don't want is to pay the 200 dollar price tag that I saw for the DVD set. But as it is with all obsessions, money quickly becomes no object. :D

Although "Clash of the Bionoids" is the more famous (or infamous) version of the dubbed DYRL, there is a more complete version called "Super Space Fortress Macross". Only available on laser disc, probably almost impossible to find outside Japan.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/_video_ld.htm

It still has the same script and voice actors, but it hasn't been edited for content.

I've never seen it (and I've only heard a tiny bit of the CotB audio), but on the basis of what everyone else has said about the translation & voice acting, my advice is to either do your own dub or just keep watching it until you can turn off the subtitles and still know what everyone is saying.

What I don't want is to pay the 200 dollar price tag that I saw for the DVD set. But as it is with all obsessions, money quickly becomes no object. :D

Would you rather pay $250? If you coupon it, that $200 price tag could go down to $150. Now go buy it.

You know...I thought of something that would be wicked cool the other day.... a VF-1 with Strike armor and TWO Beam Cannons.... that would look really cool. Has this ever been done in anything Macross? I really want to go out adn buy anotehr Strike armor for my 1/48 adn have it with two Beam Cannons...... :huh:

What I don't want is to pay the 200 dollar price tag that I saw for the DVD set. But as it is with all obsessions, money quickly becomes no object.  :D

Would you rather pay $250? If you coupon it, that $200 price tag could go down to $150. Now go buy it.

What is this coupon you speak of? And where can I get one!!

What is this coupon you speak of? And where can I get one!!

Depends on where you shop......

You know...I thought of something that would be wicked cool the other day.... a VF-1 with Strike armor and TWO Beam Cannons.... that would look really cool. Has this ever been done in anything Macross? I really want to go out adn buy anotehr Strike armor for my 1/48 adn have it with two Beam Cannons......

No this hasn't been done in Macross. But there's nothing stopping you from doing it to a Yamato 1/48. :)

Depends on where you shop....

If I can save some money I'll shop where you tell me to. ;) I guess I've already started. I ordered DYRL? as well as Macross Plus Vol 1&2 and Macross Plus the Movie. All should be here sometime next week so I'll have plenty to view and enjoy. Still want to get my hands on the original series if I can somehow, maybe I will man up and pay the 200 bucks for the remastered version.

If I can save some money I'll shop where you tell me to. ;) I guess I've already started. I ordered DYRL? as well as Macross Plus Vol 1&2 and Macross Plus the Movie. All should be here sometime next week so I'll have plenty to view and enjoy. Still want to get my hands on the original series if I can somehow, maybe I will man up and pay the 200 bucks for the remastered version.

Please view the links I have posted a few pages back.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...pic=140&st=1180

Those are great places that still have the original series in stock.