Newbie Questions on Macross

If I understand it correctly, the official stance is: if it's not directly mentioned, it is open to possibility in the future, but it's currently non-existant.

Yah. I was mistaken.

There's something about those games... one person takes on the entire enemy fleet, and defeats them, unlimited missiles, etc., etc., that I hope most everyone will agree are simply unrealistic or simply too far beyond what suspension of disbelief allows storytellers to get away with. I personally think that anything that is from a game has to be taken with a grain of salt and has to go through a kind of 'conversion' process to fit with the greater storyline. Single pilot is representative of an entire squad or batallion, etc..

Yeah. I always grant a good bit of leeway for gameplay purposes, and just take the general gist of things.

It's pretty clear, just as an example, that a gun's range in a side scroller shouldn't vary with how far forward you are on the screen. But it does, because only the viewable area of the map is active in the game.

I find it less easy to ignore is stuff like Komillia being charged for weapons in Macross 2036..

The idea of UN Spacey awarding bounties based on kills and then charging them for their weapons is either comical or appalling, depending on how you approach it.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually the orguss valkyrie is an hybrid design of the orguss and the vf-1, developed by Kazutaka Miyatake. And yes, it was included in macross to announce the upcoming new series from studio nue. I found a robotech page with an interesting fanfic background of these mech. www.artemisgames.com

Here's a pic.

post-4165-1171132969_thumb.jpg

Ok, I'm been meaning to ask this, because it's been bugging me lately:

Does the VF-11 cockpit rotate or not?

I ask this because there is that scene in M+ where Guld uses his BDI-System sees Isamu

in the VF-11, just right before the power of the YF-21 completely cuts out and he starts to fall.

To me it looks like Isamu is sitting vertical instead of horizontal.

Does the VF-11 cockpit rotate or not?

Yes. Throughout M7, you'll see Mylene enter her VF-11's cockpit in battroid form with the seat upright. There's also the scene with Kinryu entering a Full-Armor VF-11 with the seat upright. As I see it, the seat rotates as the heat shield opens/closes or as the nose folds down/folds up.

As Isamu was coming down on Guld, he was just entering fighter mode (that scene is specifically done in slow-motion) so as his heat shield opened, his seat had rotated.

The rotating cockpit is fairly trivial so there's no real need to mention it.

Does anyone know what episose of SDF:Macross the main guys pilot the Destroids in?

Hikaru pilots a Spartan (I think...I keep wanting to call it by its BTech name "Archer") in Ep. 35, "Private Time."

What's up with that rank progression: "Sergeant; Second Lieutenant; First Lieutenant, Captain, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel," OK so far, "Major?"

Yeah that rank progression is kind of strange in the compendium. Unless Max goes from Captain to LT. Colonel then to Colonel then demoted to Major. I doubt that though, probably a typo or a translation problem.

Pat Payne, it's a Gladiator in Macross (Archer in CBT, Spartan in RT i think) but thanks for the ep. reference... doesn't Max pilot a Tomahawk too? I've got a screensot of what looks like Max hopping into the cockpit of a 'Hawk... I was kinda hoping there'd be some shots of other Destroid crew in the episode along with some good detailed Destroid action... thanks for the help!

Pat Payne, it's a Gladiator in Macross (Archer in CBT, Spartan in RT i think) but thanks for the ep. reference...

You have it backwards. There is no Gladiator in Macross. Gladiator is the RT name for the Spartan. Which is the one with hands, since these names get mixed so effectively(due in part to HG's re-using most of the destroid names, just on different destroids).

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...br07/index.html

See? It lists hands as a weapon.

The spartan in Robotech is the one with the missile drums(which is the Phalanx in Macross).

Unfortunately, Ginrai is incorrect.

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati.../vf1/index.html

...four Shinnakasu Heavy Industry NBS-1 high-thrust vernier thrusters. (One counter reverse vernier thruster nozzle on the side of each leg nacelle air intake,...

The FLIR sensors are the 2 things toward the nose which house the leg-joint connectors.

two forward-looking infra-red (FLIR) sensors in recessed emplacements in leg-joint nacelles below and to the the fore of the canopy.

Okay, then what are they if they are not the exact same thing?

As I quoted, the things on the hips (as asked) are vernier thrusters. The FLIRs are the things in front (and slightly below) of the cockpit-area toward the nose.

i saw on the compendium that kaifun and minmay are not blood cousins. was there anything given to support that in the show or DYRL besides it's just kinda creepy otherwise? i tried searching, but 84 pages is a long read.

thanks!

I believe they are second cousins once removed. Their father's were cousins.

just kinda creepy otherwise

Only in Western (particularly, North American) cultures. Married cousins are common in asia.

I checked the Compendium to be sure: the SDF weight was 18 000 000 tons when it crashed onto South Ataria Island...

When I read various reports from scientists saying that a simple meteorite - far smaller and lighter than the SDF - destroyed the ecological balance and made some sort of nuclear winter which killed all dinosaurs I wonder how the ASS could just reduce the Everest, awaken some volcanoes and destroy a bunch of cities below its trajectory

Is there an official (and logical) explanation for this, or is it just some sort of anime magic? Do you think that the area of its crash being surrounded by oceans may have reduced the damage to the environment (even in considering tidal waves and tsunamis of course)?

Not trying to look for the little beast, just curious :)

One could speculate that "parts" of the ship falling off during re-entry is what destroyed several cities on it's flight to Ataria Island, however nothing is really mentioned.

I'd suspect anime magic is the most likely situation. Backstories aren't really fleshed out according to science in Macross...

One could speculate that it came down under some power, but then the question remains as to by whom and where are they or their remains now?

Edited by Zinjo

It depends on how the meteor hits. Usually, a meteor will slowly vaporize, leaving only a few chunks that actually hit the surface of the Earth. It should be considered rare the number of big ones that survive long enough to literally hits the dense air closer to the surface. At that point, they usually explode with the force of an atom bomb, or greater.

The Tunguska event is a great example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

The ASS-1 obviously didn't do any of these, which basically boils down to anime magic; followed by a lower, slower, and controlled tragectory of approach. Even though it isn't mentioned directly, we can assume that the ASS-1 contains super materials or even the 'structural integrety field' of Star Trek, which kept it in basically one piece.

And yes, Zinjo, it did come down under it's own power, or at least on a controlled crash landing course. The ship, sans crew, was left on Earth as a "Booby Trap" by the Supervision Army to delay the Zentraedi who were chasing them, as they (the Supervision Army) left the area (by area, it's probably safe to presume the Local Spur, or even the Orion Arm of the galaxy.) This was made clear in SDF:M, in the first two episodes.

The Compendium isn't using the ton as a unit of mass. It's using it as a unit of VOLUME(hence why that measurement is labeled displacement, not mass).

The actual mass is FAR lower, if for no other reason than the ship is hollow.

Hooray for reused unit names...

I should have looked for better: the mass of the dinosaur killer is estimated at about 1 billionth ot the mass of the Earth, which itself turns around 6 million billion billion kilograms (6000 billion billion tons), which makes of the asteroid something like 6000 billion tons

The ASS is too much light to hurt the planet basically, wether its weight is given in mass, displacement or God-knows-what, being 18 000 000 or FAR lower

Thanks everyone for your time

But the reconstructed SDF-1's weight is about 2,000,000 tons. that's a big difference don't you think? :blink:

Again...

It's not weight, which makes no sense for a spaceship(as weight is directly dependent on gravity). It's not even mass.

Displacement = volume. Which is basically how much space is inside. That can go up REALLY fast with a hollow vehicle.

Simplest explanation is the ARMDs are wider and/or deeper than the Daedalus and Prometheus they replaced were, thus making them roomier vehicles.

It probably won't cover the whole difference though, since the ARMDs are shorter than the D&P were(pity the Compendium doesn't list the width or volume of the D&P).