Newbie Questions on Macross

Another question, well actually two questions (hey I'm really a client of this topic :p )

1.The yf-19's leg armor pieces rise to shoot the internal missiles or not?

2. And when it does not wear them, ¿How the gates open?

1. If by armour, you mean the FAST packs, than yes. But it's not so much 'rise' as it is 'opens like a door on a hinge.'

2. Same as 1 - opens like a door on a hinge to reveal what is inside.

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been dying to get a copy of SDF macross for sometime, as I live in the UK. I'm aware there's 3 versions in america, the old Animeigo, the new ADV, and what appears to be a budget set by Harmony Gold (which I don't really want to buy on principle).

How do these compare?

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been dying to get a copy of SDF macross for sometime, as I live in the UK. I'm aware there's 3 versions in america, the old Animeigo, the new ADV, and what appears to be a budget set by Harmony Gold (which I don't really want to buy on principle).

How do these compare?

Personally I would recomend the Animeigo set, unless you are totally against reading sub titles. The ADV dub is, to put it politely, rather bad!

See this thread

macross Series on DVD

Edited by wldr

The ADV dub is, to put it politely, rather bad!

That's what it seems to me. But I'm not totally sure whether that is a product my previous expectations of what the characters should sound like.

Not really a question just some things i noticed.

So i was watching DYRL and is i me or is Max the team leader of him, kakizaki, and Hikaru. Maybe not at the beginning (he was flying a VF-1A), but right before his fight with Millia, Kakizaki called him leader (taijou), he was point, and he was flying a VF-1J.(so mad i don't have a DYRL VF-1J with max paint, now) So, i guess he got promoted in that month hikaru and misa were on earth.

And anyone ever notice the model of a VF-4 and what looks kinda like a VF-11 with delta wings in Hikaru's room?

So many little neat things in this movie.

And anyone ever notice the model of a VF-4 and what looks kinda like a VF-11 with delta wings in Hikaru's room?

The later was a XB-70 Valkyrie, an experimental supersonic bomber developed for the USAF in the '50s and '60s that Kawamori fell in love with the design of, prompting him to study aero engineering. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XB-70_Valkyrie

Edited by Pat Payne

Question about the cockpit in Battroid mode.

IPB Image

As I can see the cockpit sort of projects the outside surroundings to the pilot inside. Is that how it works? So basically the pilot can see whats outside even though hes cooped up inside the valk?

Not really a question just some things i noticed.

So i was watching DYRL and is i me or is Max the team leader of him, kakizaki, and Hikaru. Maybe not at the beginning (he was flying a VF-1A), but right before his fight with Millia, Kakizaki called him leader (taijou), he was point, and he was flying a VF-1J.(so mad i don't have a DYRL VF-1J with max paint, now) So, i guess he got promoted in that month hikaru and misa were on earth.

So many little neat things in this movie.

He is flying a VF-1S when he is the team leader, you can also see the number on the side of the nose, it reads "001", so he is skull 1 at that point as well.

As I can see the cockpit sort of projects the outside surroundings to the pilot inside. Is that how it works? So basically the pilot can see whats outside even though hes cooped up inside the valk?

That's how most anime mecha cockpits work. The camera(s) in the sensor cluster in the head and other various points on the main body feed their stream via close-circuit to monitors or projectors in the cockpit. In other anime, the process is similar or the same (some visual sensor, normally a camera, feeds to the cockpit via closed-circuit monitors).

Me again.

Where are stored the vf-22's gunpods in fighter mode?

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...vf22/index.html

...Eight hard point weapon stations for two internal cartridge-less gatling gun pods each with retractable grip and retractable stealth cover mounted below fuselage and to the rear of fuselage in Fighter mode or on leg storage bay cover panels ...

In otherwords, in concealed compartments along the underside in Fighter mode.

Uber-Noob question here. Since mac+ is available domestically (U.S.) with no grief from HG, why isn't there any YF-19/21 yammies available stateside? :unsure:

It goes back to what HG has the rights to and who is allowed to use those rights. M+ fell through the cracks and HG let the ball drop. When they finally realized it, Yamato was trying to get the toys into the USA. HG said no, and here we are years later. You may wish to post in the legal thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=153

The canon games are:

SDF Macross for PS2*

Macross VF-X

Macross VF-X 2

*If you play the game as oppose to watching the series. The game follows a different squads at different points so episode count is shorter, however, the timeline does correspond to the TV timeline. So using the PS2 game as a substitute and/or replacement for the TV series is acceptable.

The canon games are:

SDF Macross for PS2*

Macross VF-X

Macross VF-X 2

*If you play the game as oppose to watching the series. The game follows a different squads at different points so episode count is shorter, however, the timeline does correspond to the TV timeline. So using the PS2 game as a substitute and/or replacement for the TV series is acceptable.

I thought M3 counted too?

Me too.

For the Macross II line, I believe the following are part of the official timeline:

SDF: Macross 2036

SDF: Macross Eternal Love Story

Macross True Love song (not 100% certain about this last one.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, what I really wanted to know all of these years (since I become a macross fan) is what the hell happened to the skull 001 after Hikaru began to use a vf-4? Someone knows about it? :blink:

Hey guys, what I really wanted to know all of these years (since I become a macross fan) is what the hell happened to the skull 001 after Hikaru began to use a vf-4? Someone knows about it? :blink:

Probably the same place where all other planes go to retire, a museum or to the plant to be scrapped.

But, nothing official?

Nope. The lucky ones get saved, like Millia's.

kinda related to my last question. Does anyone have some links to summaries of the canon games? (I don't have a modded PSOne or 2, you see)

http://macross.anime.net/

SDF Macross: http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/...x.html#20090207

Macross M3: http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/...index.html#2014

Macross VF-X: http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/...x.html#20470723

Macross VF-X2: http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/...x.html#20510214

Just wondering, what's the quality of those Mac0 DVD boots on Ebay (perfect edition or whatever they call it)? I have the fansub of the series, which is pretty well done, but I'd like a DVD of it.

Just wondering, what's the quality of those Mac0 DVD boots on Ebay (perfect edition or whatever they call it)? I have the fansub of the series, which is pretty well done, but I'd like a DVD of it.

I'm fairly certain most of the M0 bootlegs are just DVD rips with the subbing added to them. M0 was an OAV, so there are no other copies floating out there except DVD rips.

I'm fairly certain most of the M0 bootlegs are just DVD rips with the subbing added to them. M0 was an OAV, so there are no other copies floating out there except DVD rips.

What about the sub quality? I already know the lines, I just don't want to pay for a DVD with poorly done 'engrish' subs.

Another mecha question. only the avf can put themselves in orbit without external boosters?

AVF? Okay....

The only VFs that can reach satellite orbit without an external booster are the VF-11MAXL, VF-17, VF-19, and VF-22 (The VF/VA-14 is probably also possible assuming we had actual specs).

If I'm not mistaken, the VF-4 can also do it, and depending on who you ask, the VF-1 (and thus, all VFs that came after it) CAN do it, but they must immediately refuel after doing so (see the first couple of episodes of SDF:M.)

Though the question then becomes which type of orbit: low, medium, high, geo-synchronous? The VF-1, as per what's seen in SDF-1, can probably do only low orbit, at best. The VF-4 with it's rocket thrusters? Something higher. The VF-19 and VF-22? Geo-synchronous and beyond. IMHO.

No. The VF-1X cannot reach satellite orbit.

If I'm not mistaken, the VF-4 can also do it, and depending on who you ask, the VF-1 (and thus, all VFs that came after it) CAN do it, but they must immediately refuel after doing so (see the first couple of episodes of SDF:M.)

Though the question then becomes which type of orbit: low, medium, high, geo-synchronous? The VF-1, as per what's seen in SDF-1, can probably do only low orbit, at best. The VF-4 with it's rocket thrusters? Something higher. The VF-19 and VF-22? Geo-synchronous and beyond. IMHO.

The VF-4 may be able to do it, but we have yet to see or have it say otherwise, which is why did not include that in my list.

All VFs can obtain a high altitude orbit without assistance, but only the ones I've listed can obtain satellite orbit without assistance according to the specs, which is what I believe the original poster was trying to ask.