Superman Is A Dick

JELEINEN

97_4_0000457.jpg

that cover is very disturbing, he looks like a child raper :(

edit: just looked through that site, their right, superman really has been portrayed really bad at times, he does seem like a dick on most of those covers.

Edited by zeo-mare

That cover is very disturbing. He looks like a child rapist :(

Yeah, I don't know how the Comics Code approved that cover. They deny approval to Green Arrow when his sidekick admitted to being a junkie, but they allow this cover to be published. What's wrong with this picture?

Edit: Just looked through that site. They're right - Superman really has been portrayed really bad at times. He does seem like a dick on most of those covers.

A friend of mine once told me that Superman is a schizoid. He hates his Clark Kent persona because as Kent, he gets Lois Lane, but as Superman, he gets nothing. That's probably why he looks like that.

Edited by areaseven

Come to think of it, Superman has to be a dick because it's what truth, justice and the American way are all about.

"Pussies don't like dicks because pussies get f*cked by dicks. But dicks also f*ck a-holes. a-holes that just want to sh*t on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with a-holes their way. But the only thing that can f*ck a a-hole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is they f*ck too much or f*ck when it isn't appropriate. And it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes pussies can be so full of sh*t that they become a-holes themselves. Because pussies are a inch and half away from a-holes. I don't know much about this crazy crazy world, but I do know this. If you don't let us f*ck this a-hole, we're going to have our dicks and our pussies...all covered in sh*t." - Team America: World Police (2004)

I spent the last 20 minutes or so checking to see if those were all fakes/photoshop/fanart. That is just insane. Alot of it is very misogynistic. Particularly towards Lois. They seemed to have really HATED her. Seriously did they try to sell those comics to little girls?? :ph34r:

This whole page is disturbing yet hilarious.

http://www.nationallampoon.com/supermanisadick/005.asp

EDIT: Supe's not a dick. He's an A-hole in most of these. He's trying to kill them all.......

http://www.nationallampoon.com/supermanisadick/003.asp

http://www.nationallampoon.com/supermanisadick/006.asp

http://www.nationallampoon.com/supermanisadick/007.asp

Edited by Jemstone

Damn. I'm not really sure if I should laugh or actually be upset. Those are some messed up covers.

Edit: I have to agree. Dick isn't the word that should be used here. A-hole is fits a LOT better.

What's with him smiling at the pain and suffering of others. How in the hell did these covers ever get people to pick up these comics. One can only imagine what the stories were about.

Edited by Effect

That's a hilarious collection. I don't remember any of them so far (I've gotten up to page 6) but I remember a couple similar DC comics covers from back in the day. The whole point is to shock you into wondering how the *&@# that can happen--you know Superman [or Batman] is a great guy, etc.--so you buy the comic only to find that they've come up with a more-or-less clever way of making the scene happen. At the same time, it's hard not to think that the artists are having a little fun shocking the kids.

The one I remember is a comic where Jimmy Olsen somehow goes back in time to see his previous lives only to find out that he's repeatedly betrayed various great men who trusted him, like Julius Caesar, Richard the Lionheart, and Abraham Lincoln. Then when he comes back to the present he accidentally lures Superman into a lethal kryptonite trap (set by Brainiac?). But of course it turns out that Superman isn't really dead; the trap had been deactivated previously and Supes was just faking in order to catch the bad guy. Meanwhile, all of Olsen's previous incarnations were really loyal friends of the various historical figures. E.g., Olsen thought he was running away from a medieval battle when he was really running into the path of a catapult rock aimed at King Richard. The cover was something like Jimmy standing over a dead Superman with the giant logo "I murdered Superman".

Edited by ewilen

That's a hilarious collection. I don't remember any of them so far (I've gotten up to page 6) but I remember a couple similar DC comics covers from back in the day. The whole point is to shock you into wondering how the *&@# that can happen--you know Superman [or Batman] is a great guy, etc.--so you buy the comic only to find that they've come up with a more-or-less clever way of making the scene happen. At the same time, it's hard not to think that the artists are having a little fun shocking the kids.

The one I remember is a comic where Jimmy Olsen somehow goes back in time to see his previous lives only to find out that he's repeatedly betrayed various great men who trusted him, like Julius Caesar, Richard the Lionheart, and Abraham Lincoln. Then when he comes back to the present he accidentally lures Superman into a lethal kryptonite trap (set by Brainiac?). But of course it turns out that Superman isn't really dead; the trap had been deactivated previously and Supes was just faking in order to catch the bad guy. Meanwhile, all of Olsen's previous incarnations were really loyal friends of the various historical figures. E.g., Olsen thought he was running away from a medieval battle when he was really running into the path of a catapult rock aimed at King Richard. The cover was something like Jimmy standing over a dead Superman with the giant logo "I murdered Superman".

What I've been told is that the editors would create the covers first then make the writers come up with stories to fit.

What I've been told is that the editors would create the covers first then make the writers come up with stories to fit.

I know next to nothing about American comics, but Ewilen's explanation makes sense. The whole Superboy thing is weird as hell as well....... :blink:

Hahaha. Great stuff. Always trying to kill Lois :)

I just thought about that, you think the creator of Family Guy ever saw these(Stewie always trying to kill Lois)? ;)

Yes, it is hilarious, but am I the only one who thought just from seeing the title it was a stunt A1 was pulling? Seems to follow his style. :p

whether the covers are rea or not, im sure the captions have been edited, i mean how could these be serious?

The captions are for real. bsu and I were hunting thru internet listed stores to see if they were fake. They are not edited in any fashion.

That's why I question ewilen's explanation on some of them. One of which was subtitled the "Amazing Afterlife of Lois Lane" (after Supes kills her of course). Still disturbing.

Hahaha.  Great stuff.  Always trying to kill Lois :)

I just thought about that, you think the creator of Family Guy ever saw these(Stewie always trying to kill Lois)? ;)

Yes, it is hilarious, but am I the only one who thought just from seeing the title it was a stunt A1 was pulling? Seems to follow his style. :p

"Deliciously evil!"

Jemstone, what's to question? I guarantee if you read one of those comics, Superman will come out smelling like a rose at the end. Now, if you're saying that maybe the cover page artists are having fun subversively undermining the good guy image of the heroes, and possibly inserting a bit of misogynism as an antidote to the chivalric code of kiddie comics, I wouldn't argue.

Also, the covers of the Lois Lane comics really aren't much different from what you see on Lifetime. Note that the LL comics are marketed to girls, so they play on girls' fears that even the nicest guys are really two-faced a-holes.

Jemstone, what's to question? I guarantee if you read one of those comics, Superman will come out smelling like a rose at the end. Now, if you're saying that maybe the cover page artists are having fun subversively undermining the good guy image of the heroes, and possibly inserting a bit of misogynism as an antidote to the chivalric code of kiddie comics, I wouldn't argue.

That's where I was going. Much of it is deliberate "fun" on the writer's part. Kind of like Disney artist that throw in subtle visual sex jokes.

Also, the covers of the Lois Lane comics really aren't much different from what you see on Lifetime. Note that the LL comics are marketed to girls, so they play on girls' fears that even the nicest guys are really two-faced a-holes.
Ahh, so they are as evil as daytime soaps. There's no way I'd let my daughter so much as looks at one of these comics.

• 3 weeks later...