MasterPiece Collection v1.1

Dangard Ace

agreed, if yamato which is a smaller company can make a 1/48 valk with the detail that it has there is no excuse for them to not be able to make this for around the same price, non transformable that is cheap beyond belief. the thing was mention over a year or so ago and we still have nothing to show for it. and with the way it sounds by the time it is done it will be so half-assed that it will not be worth the money or time. bandai can produce diecast figures that are bigger and superior for less. i really wish another company got the chance to hold the rights to produce the figures.

haha.. imagine a beta fighter costing more than a 1/48 and not transforming. What a bunch of morons. I know I should know this but do they hold the license to produce Mospeada toys as well as Robotech?

if yamato which is a smaller company can make a 1/48

Yamato is smaller than Toynami? I don't think that's true...

I know I should know this but do they hold the license to produce Mospeada toys as well as Robotech?

Yes, Toynami has the GCM license through HG.

This whole thing is silly, the design costs are already sunk, what else could be so prohibitively expensive? I think this smacks of either a craptastic way of getting publicity and being able to up an already inflated MSRP or a way of covering the fact that Toynami is actually in such dire financial straits that they can't do anything more than 3 cents a unit Imen.

Edited by jenius

if yamato which is a smaller company can make a 1/48

Yamato is smaller than Toynami? I don't think that's true...

I know I should know this but do they hold the license to produce Mospeada toys as well as Robotech?

Yes, Toynami has the GCM license through HG.

This whole thing is silly, the design costs are already sunk, what else could be so prohibitively expensive? I think this smacks of either a craptastic way of getting publicity and being able to up an already inflated MSRP or a way of covering the fact that Toynami is actually in such dire financial straits that they can't do anything more than 3 cents a unit Imen.

395857[/snapback]

Or is an early excuse for vaporware.

Here's a new rumor about the Beta Fighter from an interview with Tommy Yune: The Beta Fighter, if made, could cost up over $200, it might be made non-transformable to reduce cost.

395781[/snapback]

That would be utter crap. Give it to another company to make. :angry: The MPC's are not worth $80. $200+ for beta!!! Not going to get. I'll sell all my MPC Alphas.

Ditto! $200.00 for a non-transformable?! Frack youz Yune and HG!

You're misunderstanding, the $200 price tag was for a transformable one like the prototype. They're considering making a much cheaper one that can't transform.

Personally, still sounds laughably bad in my book. Then again, if they got it to $150 range for the transformable version that'd be the same as a 1/48 and I'm a huge enough GCM fan where I'd probably buy at least one (especially if it was built comparably to the Yammy 1/48s). I serioulsy doubt how many others are big enough fans where they'd pony up for that though.

I whish it would come already transformable or not!

but seeing how they are still debating on that a real prototype, let alone a finished version is not coming for a long time..

I am loosing more interest in the BETA every day..

Honestly, I still can't see how even the greatest transformable Tread ever could warrant that kind of price tag... it's not like it should even be that big or that complicated.... and even crammed with detail, it just doesn't makes sense. Something seems kinda fishy here... this really shouldn't that hard of a process... I'd say they've already given up because Toynazi is too stupid to pull it off and they're just trying to milk the Legioss run for whatever's left.... and who'd want a non-transformable Tread with a really getailed transformable Legioss???

Honestly, I still can't see how even the greatest transformable Tread ever could warrant that kind of price tag... it's not like it should even be that big or that complicated.... and even crammed with detail, it just doesn't makes sense. Something seems kinda fishy here... this really shouldn't that hard of a process...

Agreed. A Tread/Beta toy would be about the same size as the MPC VF-1 in battloid mode (although it'd also be about three times as thick). Certainly this thing can't be any harder to pull off than Yamato's Koenig toy and that thing doesn't retail anywhere near $200. What is it that is making the Beta toy so expensive???? Something is just way off here...

if they got it to $150 range for the transformable version... I'd probably buy at least one

396030[/snapback]

That is not a bad price. That what my max would be. It is bigger but the transformation should be more simple. How hard can this be HG?

Ditto! $200.00 for a non-transformable?! Frack youz Yune and HG!

You're misunderstanding, the $200 price tag was for a transformable one like the prototype. They're considering making a much cheaper one that can't transform.

Personally, still sounds laughably bad in my book. Then again, if they got it to $150 range for the transformable version that'd be the same as a 1/48 and I'm a huge enough GCM fan where I'd probably buy at least one (especially if it was built comparably to the Yammy 1/48s). I serioulsy doubt how many others are big enough fans where they'd pony up for that though.

396030[/snapback]

Regardless of whether it's transformable or not, USD 200 for a toy from a company who has a track record for QC issues is not exactly comforting. When I bought my only MPC Alpha, it was like playing reverse roulette -- you hope the ball doesn't drop on your box. At USD 200, it's a Russian Roulette with automatics.

What I'm particularly afraid of is that in order to "justify" the price tag, the design would cram in weird electronics "just because". It's worse because a Alpha-scale Beta would actually have enough room for a small wafer board and a battery.. but that would really turn me off.

Sigh. There are times I applaud innovation, but there are times when I prefer idiots who don't understand what their customer wants to keep their hands out of the design cycle.

$200??!!! :blink::angry:

Look, I've bought all these damn MPC's, and even I think that's a ricockulous price!

Even $150 is pushing it a bit. And this is coming from a guy who's been eagerly awaiting the Beta ever since they came out with the first Alpha.

I'll patiently wait for any updates. But if we don't hear or see anything by the time of the SDCC, then it's safe to assume this puppy ain't being made.

Hey HG and Toynami, what's missing from this pic......

It sure as hell ain't any 1/100 VF-1 Valks! :p

Even with the supposely shrinking market, hardly any of the Betas would be sold if it cost $200+. I don't think anyone would buy a nontransformable one regardless of how much less it would cost because it just wouldn't be a Beta without it.

I for one wouldn't fork over that much money for a Beta even if its the first and last of its kind(besides the gakken one). $200 can buy a lot of other things that would be more worth-wild. Just think what you could get with $200, I could use it towards the upcoming PS3 or buy 200 double stacks at Wendys!

Edited by Osean

In the future I can see it now: I look at the multiple formation Aquarion toy (I would have so wanted to buy this if I had the money) and then I look at the toynami non-tf beta and I think:"maybe it is best they stick to superposable stuff"

If toynami were to make SP 1/100 destroids, regult, glaug and pod fighters that would be good. Transformable stuff, I don't trust.

I think they should have went with yamato/toycom to do proper robotech NG perfect transforming masterpieces. I would pay large sums of money to see it happen and HG would be forgiven.

Seeing as they are selling the yamato garland, wouldn't it be cool if they got yammy to do all the transforming mecha, and just leave toynami to do the non transforming stuff? A masterpiece collection demands MP quality and masterpiece in terms of value to the collector. (that is the price goes up and up in time so the collector can actually feel proud that the item they own grows in value rather than goes down)

I love the mecha in GCM and if HG can get my an upscaled PT alpha with 1/48 vf1 level detail and durability I will really pee my pants.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Wow, just noticed that all MPC prices have been slashed to $59.99 over at RT.com. Anyone looking for a Jack Archer or a Max Sterling, you won't be able to beat that price anywhere I've seen. In fact, a prudent investor might scoop up a bunch of those and sell 'em on eBay around xmas. I've already seen some MPC Maxs sell for over MSRP there...

Have to agree with you guys, USD200 for a non-transforming BETA is just ridiculous. But I also have to admit that IF toynami ends up giving us one for that price, I'll probably pick one up a few months after the initial release, hoping and praying that the e-tailers will slash and cut the price like they did for the ALPHA's :D !

What I got out of the snippet was that the Beta is projected to maybe be as high as $200, which has led them to instead consider a (presumably cheaper) non-transformable version.

While that isn't as bad as what some are assuming - $200 for a non-transfoming Beta - it is still unacceptable in my eyes.

I have been as excited as anyone about the prospect for a Beta, but I can't imagine one being worth that kinda money, not if it's made by the same people who made my Alphas. And non-transformable? That's just ridiculous.

I'm sure $200 isn't much off from what a very limited Captain America resin cast would run the board. How can an established company not do better than what I imagine a skilled garage kit maker could...cost wise?

Put it this way.

If it's USD 200, I don't want it.

If it's non-transformable, I don't want it.

If it doesn't link with the existing MPC Alpha in the same scale, I don't want it.

If it looks like a piece of turd, I don't want it.

That's about as base-case as I can get about the Beta.

Put it this way.

If it's USD 200, I don't want it.

If it's non-transformable, I don't want it.

If it doesn't link with the existing MPC Alpha in the same scale, I don't want it.

If it looks like a piece of turd, I don't want it.

That's about as base-case as I can get about the Beta.

396670[/snapback]

You took the words right out of my mouth... except "turd". I probably would have said "crap".

Alright got my first Alpha.... I FREAKING LOVE IT!! :lol: Yes, it has all the QA problems but it looks cool and fun to play with. I love so much I ordered two more. Gerwalk is my favorite mode. It's a heavy sucker too. I can't wait to get them all. Any one want to come over and play lol.

post-2780-1146884280_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, you've got all those toys in the way of my favorite PG kit :p The head on the 01FB looks really big in that pic for some reason... and I can't believe how quickly you nabbed all the Alphas... sadly tho, I have a feeling you will never see your precious Beta...

Nice pics, port. The MPC Alphas are really nice looking, but 'tis a shame about all the QC issues people have had. I still enjoy mine, but they are all pretty much on static display.

I'd have to agree with the consensus in this thread regarding the Betas. If it can't be made transformable, decently sculpted, and decently priced, I wouldn't bother with it. This from a guy who has all of the MPC Alphas and who has eagerly awaited the Tread, and who would most likely buy a Beta/Tread in whatever schemes they offer it, should they choose to make it reasonable.

Looks like the MPC Beta is being made after all. All that prior info about the Beta seems like BS from tommy.

Thank you for your interest in our Robotic products. Currently, the BetaFighter is still in production and a release date cannot be established.We are trying for a late 2006 release, but it seems it may roll over toearly to mid 2007. Thank you for your continued support.

Best Regards, Customer ServiceToynami, Inc.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...23&pagenumber=9

I just figured out a way to make the VF-1 MPCs not suck so bad. This is probably old news to everyone else but, just in case there's someone like me who hasn't stumbled across it, I thought I'd point it out.

Some people have complained that the VF-1 MPC has floppy legs in fighter mode. While taking photos for a big project I noticed that the MPC has pegs just aft of the hip/intake (on what would be the battloid's back) that just barely plug into the legs with a little work. When these pegs are in the recesses in the legs it locks them into place. Sure, it's not the sturdiest lock in the world, but on the Ben Dixon I'm working on I can now lift it by the nose and shake gently without the legs falling down at all. Yes, shaking hard will probably still cause parts to fly somewhere :)

yea, ive got 6 mpc alphas (2 of each color sans red)...I think they are great little buggers. People gave these much more grief than they deserved. The only real QC issues I ran into were with some spotty paint quality and a back hatch that didn't want to open.

Not really interested in the beta, but cyclones would be radtastic