MasterPiece Collection v1.1

Dangard Ace

Don't discount the fact that Mospeada is ONLY popular in the US because of Robotech. It was a flop in Japan when it first aired. I wouldn't be surprised if Yamato has no interest in making Mospeada toys in the first place, because there would be no Japanese market for them. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner of the Mospeada/SC rights happily offered them to Toynami, just to make whatever profit they could from them.

Anyway, I'd be way more impressed with all these companies if they began to turn out some of their own original transforming mecha, rather than changing the color scheme on 22-year old designs that have been done to death.

• 3 weeks later...
Emails posted to the RT.com from Toynami point to their original intention of Q4 2006, and that they don't want to rush an intricate toy, which points to MPC Voltron style technical hitches.

378806[/snapback]

Links?

378916[/snapback]

Don't misunderstand, these aren't official, just fans posting the email responses they get back from Toynami. But given the lack of any officially anounced info, that's why I mentioned them.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...2541&forumid=23

Emails posted to the RT.com from Toynami point to their original intention of Q4 2006, and that they don't want to rush an intricate toy, which points to MPC Voltron style technical hitches.

378806[/snapback]

Links?

378916[/snapback]

Don't misunderstand, these aren't official, just fans posting the email responses they get back from Toynami. But given the lack of any officially anounced info, that's why I mentioned them.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...2541&forumid=23

379661[/snapback]

And given the lack of any offical info, that's why I asked for them :lol:

Remember "keep your expectations low and you'll be pleasantly surprised' :p

besides for now you can save up for other things you may want :)

Edited by Macross73

• 2 weeks later...

Try putting them up for like $169.99 and list it as a Rick MPC and say you're throwing in Ben FREE! For some reason... I think you'll get a buyer quicker that way then listing them as a lot. It's funny how eBay psychology works.

Do you guys know the exact height of the MasterPiece Alphas and their scale?

Is 6.5 inches high in Battroid correct? Is it 1/55 scale?

I just picked up a Scott Bernard and it seems really tiny compared to my Gakkens.

Thanks.

Edited by R_Deckard

Yeah, they're correct at 1/55 scale they're smaller than the 1/35? Gakken Alpha.

the exact measurements, I just dont know.

Technically, they're not correct 1/55 scale. They're somewhere between 1/55 and 1/48 scale. Here's a pic that might help shed some light:

post-2677-1143616011_thumb.jpg

post-2677-1143616306_thumb.jpg

Edited by jenius

Thanks, I thought it was 1/55 when I bought but, for some reason I expected it to be a bit bigger. Guess I been looking at the 1/48 VF-1 too much. I like everything on it except for it being smaller.

It would be nice to have an exact 1/48 scale alpha high detail toy.

I thought I read somewhere that the Alphas were actually 1/48. That Toynami was using the molds from the old Imai kits.....  If that's the case, aren't they actually bigger than they should be at 1/55?

385336[/snapback]

As jenius said, they are somewhere between 1/55 and 1/48... I'd say around 1/50; the pilot, however, is 1/55.

The often repeated assumption/lie that Toynami used the old Imai 1/48 kit molds is, however, absolutely preposterous; although similar in overall size, the two are completely different in several proportions, details and execution. It may be true that the kit was used as an inspiration, or even a starting point in the design process, but there is where they diverge (everything else being equal, a simple look at the plastic parts' thicknesses would be all the info you'd need to tell them apart -- kit parts are 1.0-1.2 mm, and toy parts are 1.5-1.8 mm... you can't get 1.5 mm from a mold designed for 1.0 mm).

I not sure what the size it is suppose to be but the Toynami one seems taller than the Gakken 1/55.

This picure below has the Gakken 1/35, Gakken 1/55, Gakken 1/72, Toynami SD Morpher, Toynami Matallic Super Poseable, Toynami MPC Alpha.

The Gakken 1/55 is in front of the Toynami 1/55.

58compare1s.jpg

Is the Toynami Alpha super poseable suppose to be the same scale as the Toynami transforming Alpha?

385429[/snapback]

Same scale, but more along the lines of what it should look like in Battloid mode without having to care about how the other modes look or how to transform into them.

The often repeated assumption/lie that Toynami used the old Imai 1/48 kit molds is, however, absolutely preposterous; although similar in overall size, the two are completely different in several proportions, details and execution. It may be true that the kit was used as an inspiration, or even a starting point in the design process, but there is where they diverge (everything else being equal, a simple look at the plastic parts' thicknesses would be all the info you'd need to tell them apart -- kit parts are 1.0-1.2 mm, and toy parts are 1.5-1.8 mm... you can't get 1.5 mm from a mold designed for 1.0 mm).

There's a pretty simple root to the assertion that Toynami used the Imai kits molds... that being that Toynami actually did purchase the molds from whoever had possession of them. The engineering of the toy is also pretty spot on to the engineering of the model which had to save Toynami some big headaches. From there they must have just attempted to recreate the model molds in a manner suitable for toys and added a few new details and did some tweaking where they saw fit. Did they physically use the model molds in the creation of the toy? No, as you say, that'd be preposterous. That being said, if you stand a built model of the Imai kit next to an MPC the similarities are scary... and the scale is the same. The original Imai kit wasn't quite 1/48 scale as advertised but it was bigger than 1/55... which is exactly why the Toynami MPC is the same.

Edited by jenius

Same scale, but more along the lines of what it should look like in Battloid mode without having to care about how the other modes look or how to transform into them.

I like the proportions of the MPC Battloid better.

385590[/snapback]

No denying that. It looks stockier and just plain meaner than the slender super-posable.