The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Yeah, dedicated race cars usually take out anything they won't use for weight saving.

One thing I noticed when I was at JGTC that was surprising, we were allowed in the garage area to check out the cars. One of the Supras had the hood off and it was non-turbo. They were still fast as hell though.

Are you sure? The one I saw had the Yamaha 4 cylinder, but it defintely had a turbo.....

Are you sure?  The one I saw had the Yamaha 4 cylinder, but it defintely had a turbo.....

I'm pretty sure. In fact, I just searched for the GT 500 Supra's specs, apparently it's a V8, which makes sense due to the way it sounded.

JGTC GT500 Toyota Supra Specs

Engine Code: 3UZ-FE

Configuration: V8 DOHC 32 valves

Displacement: 4,480cc

Bore x Stroke: 93 mm x 95 mm

Air Restrictor: 29.6mm x 2

Power: 480+ PS @ 7600 rpm

Chassis Code: JZA80

Length x Width: 4520mm x 1910mm (178 in x 75.2 in)

Weight: over 1100 kg (2425 lb)

Wheelbase: 2550mm (100.4 in)

Track: F: 1600mm (63 in) R: 1580mm (62.2 in)

Transmission: 6-speed sequential Transaxle

Clutch: Carbon Triple Plate

Suspension: F: Double Wishbone , R: Double Wishbone

Brake: F: Ventilated Disc , R: Ventilated Disc

Tires: Bridgestone , F: 330/40-R18 , R: 330/40-R18

Wheels: F: 18 x 13J , R: 18 x 13J

Engine Tuner – Toyota Technocraft / TRD

Here's a pic of some mechanics working on the engine. You can see the 4 cylinders from the left side of the engine.

post-26-1106303288_thumb.jpg

Edited by bhop

JGTC supras certainly used to run a turbocharged four-banger (derived from the MR2's engine family- I forget the code), but changed in 2003 to a big v8 (i guess it must be the lexus block)nto entirely sure of the reasons- probably a rule change in the restrictor formula or the old engine just fell out of homolgation a few years after the SW20 MR2 went out of production.

before the four- they ran the supra stright-six, btu that was changed for weight distribution reasons, as they could get the same reliable power out of a smaller, shorter, and lighter, engine. (it's worth reiterating that as JGTC GT500 is a restricted engine formula, the overall displacement of your engine doesn't have much effect on top power- there's only so much air you can pull through a restrictor of X mm, and ultimately that's what sets top HP.)

The GT-A sports the prototype transmission that would later be used by BMW where it's automatic, but you can manually change gears via controls on the steering wheel (not quite F1 paddles though). Of course, you lose 20-40 BHP :)

yep, my A4 has the tiptronic steering buttons to change gears. pretty cool cuz if you have a drink or if your in gridlock you put it in automatic but if you have a twisty road or something all to yourself you push the stick over to manual. you can switch gears by pushing up and down on the stick or click the + & - buttons on the wheel.

system was borrowed from Porsche. it doesn't have the paddles the 911's and SMG M3's have but its still a pretty sick feature.

you can buy a tip chip for my car too that reduces gear shifting lag from 1 second to like .2 seconds. costs about $250.

I chipped my car this week too. pulled out my ECU and mailed it to Neuspeed. Only about $180 plus the cost of having to rent a car for three days. huuuuge difference. a lot less turbo lag and the car really pulls now. now all I wanna do is upgrade to xenon and maybe get a quite catback exhaust.

heres a photoshopped pic of my car with gunmetal wheels.. hehe my wheels aren't actually that color but they might look cool powder coated like that. :p

post-26-1106327715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Panzer

Who here thinks Porsche should have left the 911 tail lights the way they were 993 and older? I'm personally not a big fan of the seperated tail lights 996 and newer. When they came out with the C4S in the 996, they brought back the red strip but then the new 911 has once again has seperated tail lights.

Who here thinks Porsche should have left the 911 tail lights the way they were 993 and older? I'm personally not a big fan of the separated tail lights 996 and newer. When they came out with the C4S in the 996, they brought back the red strip but then the new 911 has once again has separated tail lights.

Personally, I could care less about comparing the current rear end design with past designs. As long as the 911's headlights are oval (not abstract like the 996), I'm happy with the design.

Who here thinks Porsche should have left the 911 tail lights the way they were 993 and older?  I'm personally not a big fan of the separated tail lights 996 and newer.  When they came out with the C4S in the 996, they brought back the red strip but then the new 911 has once again has separated tail lights.

Personally, I could care less about comparing the current rear end design with past designs. As long as the 911's headlights are oval (not abstract like the 996), I'm happy with the design.

Oh come on! I can't be the only one who cares about the 911's rear...I mean most of us here are only going to be able to view it from that angle! I'm also a big fan of the original round/oval headlights of the old 911, and I'm glad they're bringing back a nice, conservative looking set of headlights, but that red strip on the 911's rear has been signature for 911s since the beginning and all of a sudden, they leave it out? It's *ucking blasphemous! It's *ucking outrageous.

Haha, sorry for the rant, but I just couldn't beleive my eyes when they first left it out, then brought it back for the 996 C4S, then they blatantly delete it again for the new.....what do they call the new one? 997? ARRRRGHHHH!!!!!

Who here thinks Porsche should have left the 911 tail lights the way they were 993 and older? I'm personally not a big fan of the seperated tail lights 996 and newer. When they came out with the C4S in the 996, they brought back the red strip but then the new 911 has once again has seperated tail lights.

I think the current rear looks better.

Everything looks awesome except the tail lights

I think it looks cleaner, but hey, it's ok if you like the red. You could always have a body shop do a custom conversion if you get one.

Edited by bhop

Everything looks awesome except the tail lights

I think it looks cleaner, but hey, it's ok if you like the red. You could always have a body shop do a custom conversion if you get one.

Haha, can you imagine the cost of doing something like that? But I guess if I had the money to buy one in the first place, I probably wouldn't be crying about a little body work.

Ahhhh.....you're crazy.

Here's another shot of the 997...this time in yellow so the seperated tail lights are more evident.

I think the porshe would look dope with a pair of carbon fiber altezzas, clear corners, and hyper blue side markers. :p

I'm glad they're bringing back a nice, conservative looking set of headlights, but that red strip on the 911's rear has been signature for 911s since the beginning.

wrong.jpg

The red strip was not on the 911 until 1975, when Porsche introduced the Turbo. Here are pics of early 911 rear ends:

kb911-47.jpg

911 2.0 (1963-1969)

kb911-43.jpg

911 2.2 (1970-1971)

kb911-60.jpg

911 2.7 (1973-1977)

(If the images don't work, go to The Porsche 911 Evolution.)

Oh......oops..

Ahhhh.....you're crazy.

Here's another shot of the 997...this time in yellow so the seperated tail lights are more evident.

I think the porshe would look dope with a pair of carbon fiber altezzas, clear corners, and hyper blue side markers. :p

YOu were smoking crack when you said that right?

Ahhhh.....you're crazy.

YOu were smoking crack when you said that right?

For the most part, I go with the "diff. strokes for diff. folks philosophy when it comes to cars and their modifications...but I take exception to the "altezzaesque" light fixtures.

Those don't improve the look of any car. Any car I see with those on the street automatically loses my respect.

Don't do that to your car people...it will be ashamed of itself.

For the most part, I go with the "diff. strokes for diff. folks philosophy when it comes to cars and their modifications...but I take exception to the "altezzaesque" light fixtures.

Those don't improve the look of any car. Any car I see with those on the street automatically loses my respect.

Don't do that to your car people...it will be ashamed of itself.

Actually, it depends on the design. If the fixtures are chromed out, they're definitely rice. However, if the inner fixture color is natural, it's acceptable. Take the Mazda3 (known in Japan as the Axela), for example. Though they look aftermarket, the taillights are actually OEM and are readily available as a dealer option. Regardless of which, they look much better than the stock red taillights.

normal_Meet5-6.JPG

normal_Meet3-4.jpg

Even some cars look right with the chrome ones, although they're few and far between. A good example is the S15 Silvia. Almost all of those running D1 have the "Altezza' style tails, and, IMO, they look pretty good on a full race car, though they'd look awful on a street car.

On another subject, I've started to change my opinion on Bangle. The overall shape, proportions, and lines of his cars are actually very good. It's only when it comes to details, like lights, grilled, and trim, that a problem appears.

We got about 6 grand worth of NISMO parts decked out on a 350Z Coupe, no viynl or anything, but its that sunset orange color and looks rather nice.

I got my tickets for the show this thursday but its only good for that day -_- so I'm goign to debate if I REALLY wanna go or not.

I also got word from my boss that an 05 Xterra will make its appearance there, which is a shocker seeing that its not suppose to arrive here in state for another 3-4 weeks 0_o.

yeah you're right they don't have any red on the back.

cool with me though cuz its unneccessary and looks much cleaner without it. why do you want that much taillight anyways?

I love what they did with the front turn/fog/indicator cluster. I'm gald the trend is finally going towards THE CLEAN LOOK.

for an example look at the second to last Hyundai Tiburon.. there must have been twenty different reflectors on the front of that car.. jeezus :rolleyes:

haha slope nose.. you never see those. once in awhile you'll see a factory equipped one (i think the originals were a factory equipped option).

nothing beats a 959 though.. I was in Stuttgart, Germany at the Porsche plant once and saw two silver ones side by side. quite an amazing sight to see not one but two!

I was on the freeway driving east leaving san diego and saw a red one once going the opposite way. pretty rare cars..

BTW the guys at the Stuttgart plant were super nice. I had a 944 Turbo back then and went into the office of one of the plant managers and he actually took the time to talk to me about the car and stuff. pretty kewl.

Edited by Panzer

On another subject, I've started to change my opinion on Bangle. The overall shape, proportions, and lines of his cars are actually very good. It's only when it comes to details, like lights, grilled, and trim, that a problem appears.

The real issue that most have with the Bangle/BMW relationship, myself included, does not necessarily lie with his overall designs, which would be fine for most any other marque (In fact, I rather liked his controversial early '90s Coupe Fiat design). The real issue for purists is his complete departure from BMWs well founded and traditional simplicity and subtlety in design, in favor of designs which would be perfectly acceptable were they installed on a new Pontiac (which ironically now shares almost the same corporate grille as the newer, morphed BMW fascias).

No offense is intended or implied for enthusiasts of classic Pontiacs, which I regard as being quite cool :lol:.

If I had to buy a Porsche, I'd get an older 911 (with the ugly lights) and this guy's kit.

k911-54.jpg

Or this one :)

p9351.jpg

I'd go older than the 996....I love the 993.