The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

I figured I'd post some pictures from my trip to Japan this summer.

skyline.jpg

Gorgeous color, I think thats an R33?

fd.jpg

Goofy looking RX-7 nearby that Skyline.

integrale.jpg

Lancia HF Integrale, one of the greatest rally cars of all time. Awesome performance in a relatively pedestrian looking package.

porsche.jpg

Took this picture on my last night in Japan, in the red light district of Ikebukuro shortly after my friend almost got us into a fight with a yakuza (seriously).

soarer.jpg

A Toyota Soarer (Lexus LS430 here in the States) made completely out of legos, the monekys are from Sony's Ape Escape series. This was taken at a large Toyota showroom in Ikebukuro.

fc3s.jpg

Gorgeous S5 RX-7, in the back lot of a Mazda dealership. I was walking home one morning (early, around 5am) and started poking around some of the car dealerships nearby my apartment. Also in there area were a Suzuki/Alfa Romeo dealership, a Mercedes, a Honda and a custom bike shop.

ae92.jpg

A goofy little Corolla Levin taken one day in front of my apartment. Guessing from the hood scoop it has the 4AGZE super charged engine.

Edited by yellowlightman

GT-T that raced in Lemans....not sure but is 4Wd allowed in Lemans? I think this GT-R is only running it's rear wheels. Someone earlier said something about Porsches running in Lemans but I think they also had the 4WD disabled. The Porsche GT1 is defintely RWD.

post-26-1106263554_thumb.jpg

FTO haha

Yeah, I know, but technically it is a real racing car. You may laugh because the street version is a low powered car, but the Celica for example, I assume is in the same category. I went to the JGTC last month, and even the Celica was beating up on the Porsches that were in the race too. The Porsche finished last actually..

About Skylines and RWD. I've heard that you can disable the 4WD and make it RWD by just removing one fuse.

Edited by bhop

About Skylines and RWD. I've heard that you can disable the 4WD and make it RWD by just removing one fuse.

From what I've heard using the RWD mode on the Skylines is a popular thing to do. Makes it easier to dyno (not a whole lot of AWD dynos out there, and they tend to be considerably more expensive), as well as making it easier to drift and control on the track. Kind of like how a lot of racers prefer to race without ABS on their cars, makes it more complicated to control but allows for more control.

I know many people dislike Skyline, but I like it and my favourite is the older R32

I saw one of those here in L.A. once parked in a really ghetto part of K-town. Made me do a double take, not just because it was a Skyline, but because of where it was.

Yeah, I know, but technically it is a real racing car. You may laugh because the street version is a low powered car, but the Celica for example, I assume is in the same category. I went to the JGTC last month, and even the Celica was beating up on the Porsches that were in the race too. The Porsche finished last actually..

FTO is FWD too. they shoulda sold those instead of Eclipses over here. they look soo much better.

FTO haha

I know that you can disable the 4WD in road-going Skylines, but for racing like Le Mans, what are the rules about that? I thought 4WD was not permitted? I'm pretty sure that in JGTC, the Skylines are running RWD, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, dedicated race cars usually take out anything they won't use for weight saving.

One thing I noticed when I was at JGTC that was surprising, we were allowed in the garage area to check out the cars. One of the Supras had the hood off and it was non-turbo. They were still fast as hell though.

I agree completely about Bangle, A7, though he was not directly responsible for the new 6's styling (though he was responsible for the IMHO ghastly looking E65/E66 and E60 cars). He's been bumped up the corporate ladder a bit, so his own "handiwork" may be a thing of BMWs past - though he will still have control over the direction of BMW styling. Not to defend the new Six, but the grille treatment in that picture was perpetrated after the fact ;).

I'll happily keep my grey-market '79 635CSi, thank you very much. I've also got a few 2002s, and a couple E21 323i cars, one of which is a very rare Baur TC Cabrio. I don't need no stinkin' Bangles :p

You can make a lawnmower AWD, turbo charged and fast as hell but you'll look like pretty silly driving it.

Same philosophy applies to those Lancers. if they'd like to add a little class and style to their lives I'd recommend an Audi to them.

And as far as performance is concerned I guess you've never heard of an S4..  :rolleyes:

Hey, different cars for different people. Personally, I don't like Audi (except the great angular Audi rally cars of the 80s) and I'm not a fan of how they look. Too round for my taste. I don't like rounded cars.

Mitsubishi did try to create a more luxury/elegant Evo, with leather interior, no hood vents, subdued looks. I really like it. Perfect sleeper.

gta.jpg

The GT-A sports the prototype transmission that would later be used by BMW where it's automatic, but you can manually change gears via controls on the steering wheel (not quite F1 paddles though). Of course, you lose 20-40 BHP :)

I'm not a fan of the Evo VIII, I think it's horribly ugly and the X concepts we've seen look like a fat whale, but the VII is my favorite car of all time.

Edited by ComicKaze