The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

I had a carrier in autorepair, I'm a car guy too! but bikes are more my thing these days, and I much prefer good old american muscle cars and real hot rods (34' fords, T-buckets, etc) over the new stuff...

Hmm...a binaltec 1957 Chevy Bel Air, now that would be cool :D

Italian exotics are nice but, I still love American muscle cars.

Ironic coming from a guy with a new Pontiac GTO in his avatar. ;)

As cool as exotic supercars are, the fact that I'll probably never have the dough to own one kind of kills my interest in them. My interest usually lies in more attainable near-super cars, like the C6 Z06.

That Galpinized Mustang loosk pretty gross, the chrome bling-bling rims and cross-eyed lights don't so much for me. :rolleyes:

What's even nicer is watching Italian exotics dominating a track with Japanese all-star-cars. I'm not into any of the foreign stuff, but seeing a copy of "Best Motoring International" was rather entertaining. Anyone else into those dvd's?

I saw this one race featuring a Ferrari F50, a Porsche 911 GT2, a Gemballa 911, a Lamborghini Murcielago and a Honda NSX Type-R. The F50 won, but that was expected. What was unexpected from the race was the way the NSX outhandled the Murcielago in the corners. The only way the Murcielago was able to beat the NSX was through the straightway.

Another race focused on the Porsche 911 Turbo and featured a Ferrari 360 Modena, a Nissan Skyline GT-R R34, a Honda NSX Type-R, a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII, and a Corvette. The Porsche won, but the Skyline nearly smoked it in the corners with the EVO not too far behind. The Ferrari finished fifth, losing to the NSX.

I downloaded a foreign vs JDM race from Best Motoring, and since then it left a really bitter taste in my mouth. The cars I believe were a turbo Porsche of some sort, a Skyline GT-R (yaaaawwwwwn), a few other random cars and a base model C5 Corvette.

Just bullshit that one they'd put the C6 base up against a turbo Porsche and a Skylien GT-R instead of a Z06, but that's probably becaus the Z06 would have destroyed the JDM cars. And after all, we can't have people thinking Americans make a decent car. :rolleyes:

The Ferrari F430 isn't special enough to get Tamiya's attention like the Enzo. At the very least, though, it will get a kit, and if the Ferrari 360 Modena and Spider kits were any indication, it will be incredible. Just not as incredible as the Enzo kit.

I can't wait to see what the F430 Spider version looks like.

My dream right now is to see Tamiya make Lamborghini kits. The Lamborghini license in Fujimi hands is such a waste. Pathetic models for way too much money. I want Gallardos and Murcielagos and Diablos and 25th Anniversary Countaches to face off against my Ferrari 360 and F40 and F50 and Enzo and Mythos, damn it!

Edited by Stamen0083

Great thread A7 and thanks for the super pics. I got the chance to see one of the new Ford GT's in person and Damn their sweet. If i'm corect I think that the Saleen is the fastest production car. If I recall its 0-60 was 3.9 seconds. The speed channel is airing its special on the LA auto Show. I think MSNBC and espn are both going to air the international auto show from Detroit.

If I'm correct, I think that the Saleen is the fastest production car. If I recall, its 0-60 was 3.9 seconds.

Actually, there are a few production cars that run faster than the Saleen S7:

0-60, Seconds

Bugatti Veyron: 2.9 sec

McLaren F1: 3.1 sec

Enzo Ferrari: 3.2 sec

Ferrari F430: 3.5 sec

Lamborghini Diablo GT: 3.7 sec

Lamborghini Murcielago: 3.8 sec

Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren: 3.8 sec

Ford GT: 3.8 sec

Great pictures, you didn't by chance see if the Nissan Azreal made an appearance there didya? I know it showed up in Detroit....

Portland's is coming up and I got free tickets since I work for Nissan....I'll take some great pictures even of the girls!

Nikon D70

Sweet camera. No wonder you've got so many professional shots.

All I got is this POS GrandVision CoolDV 550.

the reason why the his film camera is way better than your digital camera is your is just digital zoom. optical zoom is way better and its what i look for in a camera.

btw i have a cheapy fuji finepix 2600z that has 3x optical and old a Nikon fg for my film.

The reason why the his film camera is way better than your digital camera is yours is just digital zoom.  Optical zoom is way better and it's what I look for in a camera.

Exactly. My mom gave me this camera as a birthday gift last year. That's why I'm saving up for at least a Canon A400. (Or maybe I'll just go back to old-school 35mm and buy a wide-angle lens for my Canon EOS 50.)

Edited by areaseven

the reason why the his film camera is way better than your digital camera is your is just digital zoom.  optical zoom is way better and its what i look for in a camera.

btw i have a cheapy fuji finepix 2600z that has 3x optical and old a Nikon fg for my film.

Mine's digital too. But yeah, for the price I paid for it, it had better damn well take good pics. :p

Here's the specs if you're interested.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1...productNr=25214\

That's why I'm saving up for at least a Canon A400.

Canon is good. I have a Canon S230 also and I heartily recommend anything made by Canon in the point and shoot style.

Edited by bhop

I work for Mercedes Benz, and we actually had an SLR here for one day. Some guy who owns an energy company bought it for 1.2 mil. The MSRP is like $420K. What a markup. As far as the all chrome Mercedes, I wasn't sure if they were gonna show that or not. Did they have the Mercedes CLS there?

I'll be making my trip there tomorrow. I just bought a Subaru WRX STI, so I'll be looking at the performance parts. Thanks for the pics, any pics of the '06 Mitsu Eclipse?

the picture looks like it accepts film but the main point is the optical zoom it has.

my dream cam would be one that can accept all my nikon lenses.

Yeah, it's a digital SLR, any Nikon lens will work with the D70 (and D100, D2H, D1X and D2X), so optical zoom is the only option. Basically it's the same as a film SLR, but with a digital sensor in place of film. That particular image I put up just happens to have the 50mm f/1.4 lens on it. I have a 50mm f/1.8, but most of my car show pics were taken with the 17-80mm f/4.5 zoom lens that came with the kit. You can buy the body seperately if you have lenses already. The class it fits in is often called "pro-sumer".

In my opinion film is dead. I'll never use film again. No more waiting (and paying) for processing or guessing if I got the right exposure. It's all right there on the lcd display and when I get home, I can print out the pics I want on photo paper. I've printed 8X10's that are as clean as a regular photo.

any pics of the '06 Mitsu Eclipse?

Being a Turbo Eclipse owner, I would've liked to see it, but unfortunately it wasn't there when I went. I think it's at the Detroit show, which I think is going on this week as well.

Edited by bhop

Speaking of Mitsubishi, I'd actually like to see the new Eclipse in production, especially since the current model looks like crap (and it doesn't help that my former boss drives one). Right now, the only good thing going for them (aside from their SUVs) is the EVO; everything else isn't worth buying, especially the fugly new Galant.

What Mitsubishi should've actually done over a decade ago was import the FTO (as featured in the Gran Turismo games and Jackie Chan's First Strike). Despite being FWD, the FTO is lighter, quicker and more agile than the Eclipse. And there was a time when I drove nothing but the FTO LM race car in the first GT game.

Speaking of Mitsubishi, I'd actually like to see the new Eclipse in production, especially since the current model looks like crap (and it doesn't help that my former boss drives one). Right now, the only good thing going for them (aside from their SUVs) is the EVO; everything else isn't worth buying, especially the fugly new Galant.

What Mitsubishi should've actually done over a decade ago was import the FTO (as featured in the Gran Turismo games and Jackie Chan's First Strike). Despite being FWD, the FTO is lighter, quicker and more agile than the Eclipse. And there was a time when I drove nothing but the FTO LM race car in the first GT game.

I agree with you on everything you just said.

This leads me to a funny little story. I just had to replace one my axles today. A couple days ago when I called the Mitsu dealer, a salesman picked up the phone. When I asked for the service dept, he asked "Wouldn't you rather get a new car?" I was like O_o. "No thanks, there aren't any Mitsubishi's that I like more than my turbo Eclipse other than the Evo, and it's out of my budget" He was pretty persistent, until I had to tell him "Look man, just connect me to service already!" ... damn car salesmen..

This leads me to a funny little story. I just had to replace one my axles today. A couple days ago when I called the Mitsu dealer, a salesman picked up the phone. When I asked for the service dept, he asked "Wouldn't you rather get a new car?" I was like O_o. "No thanks, there aren't any Mitsubishi's that I like more than my turbo Eclipse other than the Evo, and it's out of my budget" He was pretty persistent, until I had to tell him "Look man, just connect me to service already!" ... damn car salesmen..

That's ridiculous. But don't blame him, Mitsubishi's sell like crap so he's probably hungry. :(

As much as I like the Evo, Mitsubishi has messed up enough to make it very unappealing to me. For one, the warranty is non-existant. It is an over-stressed car, and buying a new clutch at 16,000miles with my own money is a painful idea. Not to mention Mitsubishi is really, REALLY screwing over the legitimate racing crowd by searching SCCA web-results for autocrossers who drive a Mitsbushi and cancelling their "warranty."

If I was going to buy a car like that, you damn well better believe I'd be racing it. Just driving an Evo on the street is a waste.

Mitsubishi is in a tough place, they're losing money, they just had a BIG scandal over in Japan with their FUSO trucks and they're probably the worst all around of any Japanese car manufacturer. As great as the Evo is, until they improve the rest of their lineup (quality, build, styling) I wouldn't touch one.

Automotive thread?! How'd I miss this?

Anyway.... That Viper on the first page (The Comp Coupe) is already well known, as it was the car Formula Drift series champion Samuel Hubinette drove last season. He'll be driving it this coming season, too, but the car has been reengineered and will be competing in the Viper Racing League.

In other car-related news, I've been working at Kragen Auto Parts for the past couple months. It's in the same complex as A7's old PC Club.

As for my car, I'm going (hopefully) to be replacing my bumper with a Navan version (From the JDM K's AERO option package) and possibly picking up a carbon hood and some side skirts. A coat of paint may be coming soon after. (Although it's not totally necessary, the bumper's already painted my stock color.)

Okay, that's just messed-up. What kind of customer service is that?

BTW, bhop, got any pics of your Turbo DSM?

Does noone believe in such classics of horsepower as the Camaro,Firebird,Charger,Challenger, Baracuda,GTO, or pre late 70's Cougar? Does a car have to have a Japanese or German name behind it these days to get people to see it.

Not trying to stirr anything up here just not everyone thinks cars like the Skyline are the best. Been there driven that and ill take my Maro any day.

Does noone believe in such classics of horsepower as the Camaro,Firebird,Charger,Challenger, Baracuda,GTO, or pre late 70's Cougar? Does a car have to have a Japanese or German name behind it these days to get people to see it.

Not trying to stirr anything up here just not everyone thinks cars like the Skyline are the best. Been there driven that and ill take my Maro any day.

First off lemme say that I like all cars, I don't care if they're German, Italian, Japanese or American.. a cool car is a cool car.

That said, American cars have more or less sucked the last 30 years. The Japanese (and Europeans too, in more expensive markets) made better cars. Once the muscle car era ended the American car market lost its luster. Nowadays there's no reason for a person to buy a Chevy or Ford sedan instead of a Japanese one, aside from brand loyalty.

But I digress, as for performance cars the Americans are finally making cool cars again. Skipping over the 80's (less said about that, the better) and the rather boring 90's, the Chevy Z06, the Pontiac GTO and new Ford Mustang are showing that American's can produce a good car that can be competitive with any overseas manufacturer. The Chevy Z06 alone outshines just about any car, foreign or domestic, available for under $100k.

But hell, the Japanese aren't exactly doing anything great either. With the death of the RX-7 and Supra in the late 90's, the Japanese perfomance car segment has been severly lacking. Really the only cool Japanese cars nowadays are the Lancer Evolution and Subaru STi, but both of those cars have their fair share of problems.