The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

The Skyline is stupid overrated, in all versions. It's nothing the twin-turbo Supra isn't, but because it's only available in Japan it's JDM and OH SO COOL. I find them really, really boring and lacking in soul or creativity (like most Nissans). Not to mention when you go to Japan, and 99% of the Skylines you see are 4-door family sedans they kind of lose they're appeal.

Edit: Not to mention for $200,000 there's a bunch of other car's I'd rather buy, like the Porsche GT2 or better yet... a C6 Z06 and use the rest of the money to buy a house.

Edited by yellowlightman

I'm very openly not a Skyline fan, but there's something I have to say in that car's defense. It's a Nismo, and a Z-Tune at that. That bodykit isn't for show, every curve, scoop, and vent is there for a reason and serves a purpose, whether it's to cool brakes, vent turbo heat, or increase downforce. Nismo doesn't screw around.

As for the new Eclipse, maybe it looks like other cars, but at least they're attractive cars. I've thought the tC was one of the best proportioned cars on the US Market, just lacking the performance to make it good. The shape and details of the Eclipse are actually nice to look at, which can't be said of a lot of cars these days.

By the way, it was at the Mitsu booth, right near the border with Subaru.

Edit: Not to mention for $200,000 there's a bunch of other car's I'd rather buy,....

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't see that! That is unreal. I don't care whats under the hood, that thing is SO not woth it.

I wouldn't take that thing for 10 grand. It actually looks like a 10 grand car... like I said, 85 Honda with a bad bodykit.

the skyline performs like mofo. SMOKES the old ass Toyota Supra. its AWD, I hope you know the difference between the two..

It set an autobahn record of 200mph+ a few years ago that beat the speed previously set by a RuF Porsche. and the Skyline lineage is actually older than the Mustangs, going waay back to the sixties.

and yeah I know, for the money you could get a lot more exotic LOOKING european sports car. but thats not the point of the skyline, its cool cuz it still looks like a car, its a sleeper.

i've never liked the interior on them though. I guess for 90 grand (the cost of an imported R34 Vspec) you could get a Porsche turbo, but its all about what your into. I see Porsches everyday up here in carlsbad, but I've never seen a skyline in the US. that'd be pretty sick to roll in one of those cuz it would be so rare.

Edited by Panzer

the skyline performs like mofo. SMOKES the old ass Toyota Supra. its AWD, I hope you know the difference between the two..

It set an autobahn record of 200mph+ a few years ago that beat the speed previously set by a RuF Porsche. and the Skyline lineage is actually older than the Mustangs, going waay back to the sixties.

and yeah I know, for the money you could get a lot more exotic LOOKING european sports car. but thats not the point of the skyline, its cool cuz it still looks like a car, its a sleeper.

i've never liked the interior on them though. I guess for 90 grand (the cost of an imported R34 Vspec) you could get a Porsche turbo, but its all about what your into. I see Porsches everyday up here in carlsbad, but I've never seen a skyline in the US. that'd be pretty sick to roll in one of those cuz it would be so rare.

Too bad nobody but a few wannabe racer 4 foot tall angry teenagers would even know its worth more than 5k.

I'm very openly not a Skyline fan, but there's something I have to say in that car's defense. It's a Nismo, and a Z-Tune at that. That bodykit isn't for show, every curve, scoop, and vent is there for a reason and serves a purpose, whether it's to cool brakes, vent turbo heat, or increase downforce. Nismo doesn't screw around.

They may not screw around, but they still do a sh!tty job.

Everything on a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Porsche or any other exotic has a purpose too... They, on the other hand, don't look like riced out economy cars.

AWD? Sorry, I'm too stupid to knwo what AWD means. :rolleyes: AWD is swell and all, but it does not equal superiority. It helps a bunch in cars like the WRX STi and Lan Evo because they're rally cars designed for off-road use, for actual track use RWD is still favored.

First Skyline to have a GT-R badge was a 1970, before that the Skyline was a boring-as-nuts family sedan (and still is!). First Mustang came out in '64 or '65. So the point of your argument was.. er?

Er, anyone who thinks that car is a "sleeper" needs to have their eyes examined. The spoiler, agressive bodykit and ride height kill any notion of it being a sleeper. "Sleepers" are supposed to be cars you wouldn't expect to be fast, not a freaking Skyline GT-R.

For about $70k, I could get a new C6 Corvette Z06. And we're talking about the new R-Tune Type-Z whatever the hell, not the V-Spec... so i don't get your point.

I'm not saying the Skyline is a bad car, I'm saying it's overrated (Horribly so) and this new version is over-priced.

Er, anyone who thinks that car is a "sleeper" needs to have their eyes examined. The spoiler, agressive bodykit and ride height kill any notion of it being a sleeper. "Sleepers" are supposed to be cars you wouldn't expect to be fast, not a freaking Skyline GT-R.

No kidding... Its so NOT a sleeper. An M3... THAT is a sleeper. No spoiler (unless you are dickless and have one screwed on) No fins or worthless air ducting. Just kickass, in an elegant body.

you guys don't know a goddamn thing about cars.. try saying AWD isn't useful on the track to every 911 that won Le Mans.

I drive an A4 Quattro and I can tell you the benefits of AWD too, it doesn't benefit just offroad rally cars. My last car was a RWD Infiniti and I take the same route home from work as I do in my newly bought Audi and I take all the turns at the same speeds, sometimes faster, and I still haven't been able to get my car to spin a tire like I could in my Infiniti.

the bottom line is if the Skyline is too expensive don't buy it, the two of you need to stop trying to be such smartasses. :rolleyes:

Edited by Panzer

I should have known that a civil conversation about cars is not possible anywhere on the internet... it's always the same stuff - import vs. musclecars, technology vs. displacement, European vs. American, AWD vs. RWD vs. FWD, ricers this and that, this is wrong, you are wrong, this is manly, this isn't - rinse, recycle, repeat... :(

Wow, you guys sure have different taste than I do.  That Skyline looks like some riced out economy car.  Lame ass. 

I make fun of the 4 foot tall posers that drive rice cars like that.  ironically the Skyline actually is fast.  it makes no sense.  Its like they went through extra effort to make it look like an 85 honda with "racing"  :rolleyes: plastic.

What's a rice car? What's your definition of rice? And why all the hostility?

Is the GT-R rice? I don't see many people 4 feet tall driving that car, or any car for that matter....4 feet tall...what is that supposed to imply anyway? Who the hell is 4 feet tall? Are you talking about Hobbits? Children? Amputees? Why do you make fun of these people? Did they offend you in some way personally?

Do you know anything about cars at all? Last I checked, the economy catagory included cars like Toyota Tercel, Vitz, that square looking K-car that Chrysler put out years ago (Honda Civic isn't economy anymore considering the price tag).

Now why does it make no sense that the GT-R is fast? Why is it ironic? Why would Nissan produce a $hitty car and expect people to buy it? Wouldn't it make sense for an automitive manufacturer to produce a sports coupe to be fast? Sure, they have the basic coupe and sedan versions of the Skyline that were not meant to be fast, but why can't they make a fast version of it? They race the car, so logic would dictate that they maximize that publicity, R & D, and all that jazz to promote and sell a road going version of that car.

Now I understand that some manufactures are doing the retro thing, but I can't quite see the correlation between the Nismo GT-R and an '85 Honda (which model are you referring to by the way?) with "racing".

Now, while you are trashing '85 Hondas, correct me if I'm wrong but I think Honda was pretty kick-ass in F1 during that era....anyone here verify the dates Ayrton Senna was racing for Honda during the 80's?

About the plastic.....there's probably more alluminum and carbon fibre than plastic, but you can probably read, so it must have been just a typo on your part. Haha, just bugging you! :rolleyes:

And finally, before all the patriotic American muscle-heads get all bent out of shape, I like muscle cars just fine. Growing up on Dukes of Hazzard (I love the charger), Knight Rider, Smokey and the Bandit, A-Team and shows like that, who could resist?

Edited by peter

The Skyline costs 90K? No sir, no way I would pay that much for it.

The Skyline GT-R costs $90k if you're importing the top-of-the-line version of the last model year. In Japan, a Skyline GT-R costs around $60k.

I notice that people aren't complaining that an Acura NSX costs $90k. Sure these are expensive, but compared to Ferraris, Lambourghinis and the like, they are relatively cheap.

Despite what the naysayers may think, I think the Skyline GT-R is a very beautiful car. Not to mention that it's one of, if not the most popular sportscar in Japan. For it to be as popular as it is, Nissan must be doing something right.

Agent One, that was quite possibly the most bigoted and discriminatory argument I have ever seen about anything on this board. You are acting rude, self-centered, and are more or less being a jerk.

I would've thought you'd have more sense... being that many of the members here have some sort of asian heritage (many from places like Japan, China, Malaysia, Singapore, the Phillipines and so on), that comments about "4 ft. tall" people is not just "off-color", but shallow-minded. First of all, not all asians are "short", and second of all there are far more people in other countries who also own skylines (They're one of the street-racers of choice throughout Europe and Australia as well as Japan)

I rather think you owe the board an appology, but that's just my opinion.

The Skyline costs 90K? No sir, no way I would pay that much for it.

The Skyline GT-R costs $90k if you're importing the top-of-the-line version of the last model year. In Japan, a Skyline GT-R costs around $60k.

I notice that people aren't complaining that an Acura NSX costs $90k. Sure these are expensive, but compared to Ferraris, Lambourghinis and the like, they are relatively cheap.

Despite what the naysayers may think, I think the Skyline GT-R is a very beautiful car. Not to mention that it's one of, if not the most popular sportscar in Japan. For it to be as popular as it is, Nissan must be doing something right.

Wow, thats a lot more than I would have though. Skyline is not my style, I'll stick to the new Mustang.

the bottom line is if the Skyline is too expensive don't buy it, the two of you need to stop trying to be such smartasses. :rolleyes:

Indeed..

Speaking of rice, let's not forget where the shopping cart wing truly originated.

Try before even that! The Chapparal Can-Am racecars had even bigger wings in the sixties....

you guys don't know a goddamn thing about cars.. try saying AWD isn't useful on the track to every 911 that won Le Mans.

Started off a flawed judgement by saying I don't know anything about cars is going to make you look like an ass, so you should avoid it in the future.

1.) Reliability and fuel eifficiency are two of the largest factors in winning Le Mans, individual handling characteristics (whiel still important) become substancially less important over a 24 hour time. Being able to run at peak performance and not break and not use more than the required amount of fuel is much more important. Which is why the Mazda 787B ended up doing so well, it wasn't the fastest but it was more reliable than it's V12 competitors and used less fuel.

2.) AWD was implemented in Porsche's because they're REAR ENGINED (that means the engine is in the rear). Rear engined cars suffer from dangerous handling, as they have the tendency to break traction in the middle of a turn and slingshot the car off the road. This is why cars don't use the rear engined configuration anymore (mid-engined is much safer). Porsche continues to use the rear engine layout because they're stubburn Germans bound ot tradition. The AWD was introduced to offset the danger of a rear engine car in the hands of a driver who didn't know what the hell they were doing, not because AWD is superior to RWD.

I drive an A4 Quattro and I can tell you the benefits of AWD too, it doesn't benefit just offroad rally cars. My last car was a RWD Infiniti and I take the same route home from work as I do in my newly bought Audi and I take all the turns at the same speeds, sometimes faster, and I still haven't been able to get my car to spin a tire like I could in my Infiniti.

Driving like an idiot on public roads isn't the best of ways to test the performance of your car. I'm glad you didn't kill anyone or yourself by spinnign out. I'm not saying AWD is poo (it isnt), but it isn't the BEST. With AWD you get a whole new set of problems, like putting a lot of power through an all wheel drive system and messing the transfer case. This was a problem with the DSMs, Subaru's have nasty reputations with their transmissions and given that the LanEvo uses basically the old DSM drive train, it will likely run into issues as well. Actually, scratch that, it already has: That much power, that sticky of tires and AWD means all the power and stress is put on the clutch. WHich is why a lot of my fellow auto-x'ers are having to replace the clutch on their new LanEvo's at around 15k.

Damn, hadn't thought of that. I guess Agent One, BSU and I can go spend out $200,000 on HOOKERS and BLOW then.

Damn, hadn't thought of that. I guess Agent One, BSU and I can go spend out $200,000 on HOOKERS and BLOW then.

Well, I like the Skyline GT-R, but I wouldn't pay $200 grand for one, so you can count me in on that action too.

:p take a chill pill and grow some thicker skin people...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...some folks have more appreciation for the nuts and bolts of engineering under the hood then others...some have more appreciation for the heratige and history of a marque then others...some have more appreciation for the skill and craftmanship that goes into building the beast...

In the end, there is no uber car that trumps all others in every catagory...deal with it.

Which always struck me as interesting, as both cars and planes (and ships and trains and most every other form of mechanized transport) have constant arguments about who's "best", yet semi-trucks have a very clear heirarchy of "best to worst". Excluding a few "average" companies in the middle whom you could argue would be slightly better/worse than average.

Agent One, that was quite possibly the most bigoted and discriminatory argument I have ever seen about anything on this board. You are acting rude, self-centered, and are more or less being a jerk.

I would've thought you'd have more sense... being that many of the members here have some sort of asian heritage (many from places like Japan, China, Malaysia, Singapore, the Phillipines and so on), that comments about "4 ft. tall" people is not just "off-color", but shallow-minded. First of all, not all asians are "short", and second of all there are far more people in other countries who also own skylines (They're one of the street-racers of choice throughout Europe and Australia as well as Japan)

I rather think you owe the board an appology, but that's just my opinion.

Dude, for the most part it's white people who drive these things, my comments had nothing to do with race...

The kind of people I am talking about is 4ft tall posers (and I say they are short usually because of some kind of Napoleon conplex) that want to pretend they drive a Ferrari, but really drive an economy car, which is slow, that has some ill-fitting fiberglass crap glued on.

AgentOne, I'm surprised you think the M3 is so different from the GT-R. I've always found them to be very similar in concept and design, even in shape.

All this stuff is a matter of opinion anyway, and I think some guys here (not you) are taking my comments way too seriously.

I see the M3 as elegant, respectable, and clean. I see the Skyline as gawdy and cheap looking.

Wow, you guys sure have different taste than I do.  That Skyline looks like some riced out economy car.  Lame ass. 

I make fun of the 4 foot tall posers that drive rice cars like that.  ironically the Skyline actually is fast.  it makes no sense.  Its like they went through extra effort to make it look like an 85 honda with "racing"  :rolleyes: plastic.

Is the GT-R rice? I don't see many people 4 feet tall driving that car, or any car for that matter....4 feet tall...what is that supposed to imply anyway? Who the hell is 4 feet tall? Are you talking about Hobbits? Children? Amputees? Why do you make fun of these people? Did they offend you in some way personally?

Rice = Lipstick on a pig... Putting ill-fitting plastic on an economy car, in order to pretend its a race car.

4ft tall = Dorks with "little-man desease." Posers who want to pretend they are something sepcial because they drive an exotic :rolleyes: looking car.

I guess I am hot on this topic because I run into these types of people often and lets just say I attract trouble. Maybe because of the car I drive, maybe because I seem kinda arogant... I dunno.

I see the M3 as elegant, respectable, and clean.  I see the Skyline as gawdy and cheap looking.

Like this one?

http://screenshots.haque.net/screenshots/d...W_M3_Custom.jpg

No.... Someone ruined that one. The owner is probably a Skyline fan. LOL

Driving like an idiot on public roads isn't the best of ways to test the performance of your car. I'm glad you didn't kill anyone or yourself by spinnign out. I'm not saying AWD is poo (it isnt), but it isn't the BEST. With AWD you get a whole new set of problems, like putting a lot of power through an all wheel drive system and messing the transfer case. This was a problem with the DSMs, Subaru's have nasty reputations with their transmissions and given that the LanEvo uses basically the old DSM drive train, it will likely run into issues as well. Actually, scratch that, it already has: That much power, that sticky of tires and AWD means all the power and stress is put on the clutch. WHich is why a lot of my fellow auto-x'ers are having to replace the clutch on their new LanEvo's at around 15k.

shut up dude, just shut up.

I never said I even exceed the speed limit when I drive, I was just comparing the two cars.

And your buddies with AWD Lancers that gotta change the clutches every 15k miles?

Its because Mitsu's are POS.

Not because they're AWD.

Tell them to buy an Audi Quattro. No more bad clutches.

And they won't look like they're 16 driving around a $35k car.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Panzer

shut up dude, just shut up.

Awesome comeback, glad you had time to write it out before you went to middle school this morning.

I never said I even exceed the speed limit when I drive, I was just comparing the two cars.

If you were spinning tires, you were exceeding speed limits or at the very least driving recklessly.

And your buddies with AWD Lancers that gotta change the clutches every 15k miles?

Its because Mitsu's are POS.

Not because they're AWD.

Tell them to buy an Audi Quattro. No more bad clutches.

And they won't look like they're 16 driving around a $35k car..  :rolleyes:

Did you even read what I said? LanEvo clutches go bad fast because all that power going through an AWD system means the tires aren't going to slip or lose traction, so all that power is being placed on the clutch.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't buy an Audi is because they wanted the power and handling of a LanEvo, which no Audi can match. But hey, I'm glad you feel like a man driving around your overpriced VW Jetta, so more power to you.

haha oh man.. you're too much.

Your buddies are driving overpriced Mitsubishi's. Change out the s#it brown colored wheels and get rid of the shopping cart wing and maybe those cars wouldn't look so riced out off the lot.

You can make a lawnmower AWD, turbo charged and fast as hell but you'll look like pretty silly driving it.

Same philosophy applies to those Lancers. if they'd like to add a little class and style to their lives I'd recommend an Audi to them.

And as far as performance is concerned I guess you've never heard of an S4.. :rolleyes:

and thanks for the explanation about the clutches, its even clearer to me now that those cars are Piece O' S#it. Blown clutches at 15k miles..? what the hell.. I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a $30k car and my clutch went bad that soon.

Edited by Panzer

Rice = Lipstick on a pig... Putting ill-fitting plastic on an economy car, in order to pretend its a race car.

4ft tall = Dorks with "little-man desease." Posers who want to pretend they are something sepcial because they drive an exotic :rolleyes: looking car.

I guess I am hot on this topic because I run into these types of people often and lets just say I attract trouble. Maybe because of the car I drive, maybe because I seem kinda arogant... I dunno.

If that's your definition of rice, then by your definition, the Nismo Skyline GT-R is not a rice car because it's not plastic, it's not ill-fitting (debateable by some I guess), and it's defintely not an economy car.

Where I live, I've seen people of all shapes and sizes drive the cars they like and it doesn't really bother me. I've seen huge white guys driving cars like VW GTIs (my friend Jay weighs in at about 300 lbs and drives a silver one....nice car BTW), and smaller asian guys like me (5 feet 7 inches....not quite 4 feet tall) driving an old school Chevelle SS. I guess to a Canadian, they're all imports (inculding the American cars) to us since we don't actually make any of them (with the exception of a few models with factories in Canada).

So what's it like down in the states? Haha, some of my backwards friends up here in Canada seem to think "Fast and Furious" is really what it's like down there. You know, with the heavy competition, the angriness, the guns, the gambling. When I used to do it up here, it was all fun and games, everybody just out to have a good time and enjoy a spirted drive (not necesarily drag racing).

Just curious, what kind of car do you drive that attracts the kind of heat you're talking about?