what ever happened to the 1/100 VF-0?

GobotFool

Hopefully Y*mato have decided to skip that fugly parts-swapping monstrosity altogether and go straight to a larger scale perfect variable version with a more accurate and better looking sculpt.

Whatever, it's a pretty poor showing on Y*matos part that 2 years since the release of Macross Zero and they still don't have a single M0 product on the shelves yet.

Graham

Whatever, it's a pretty poor showing on Y*matos part that 2 years since the release of Macross Zero and they still don't have a single M0 product on the shelves yet.

Graham

:blink: It's been 2 years already, since Mac 0 came out?! :ph34r:

:o Wow. Time certainly flies when your flying your Valkyries around the room. ;):p

:lol:

I know that I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked the little VF-0S that they showed us, I didnt really mind the parts swapping bit, as I knew that this would keep the cost down for us in the United States, and would allow me to actually buy duplicates if I so desired. When I think on it more, I wish they would pursue that avenue, as I would love to have affordable VF-0S, VF-0D, VF-0A, Nora SV-51 and DD SV-51.

I dont know how commited Yamato is to bringing out Macross Zero toys, but I know that I sure would like some, and would buy all those that I stated above, no matter what the size and format.

Twich

Edited by twich

Hopefully Y*mato have decided to skip that fugly parts-swapping monstrosity altogether and go straight to a larger scale perfect variable version with a more accurate and better looking sculpt.

Graham

Ditto. I know some people were looking forward to it, but Yamato, or someone else, can certainly do better than that 1/100 VF-0 mess.

if hasegawa once made a battroid why not a zero batttroid?

i`d rather have two zeros in fighter and battroid rather than a small part-swaping figure.

Macross plus battroids came first :p

Argh, see the vf-1 battroid and think to Yf-19 and 21, drooooll...

Graham

I don't know how they run their business but I head a company where we have constantly new products that we put on the shelves. If my product development team were to miss dealines and screw up on QC in the lines of what Yamato is constantly doing, I'd kick a lot of butts and many of my guys would be eating beans instead of turkey for christmas.

Gawd damn Yamato, grow up !

I think this is one of the reasons Yamato is so tight lipped. I a project get cancelled and nobody knows about it then nobody cares. either that or it's some weird Japanese honour thing where vaporware brings shame on thier ancestors. :rolleyes:

Either way it sucked and I wont miss it. I'd rather see a nice study, if somewhat innacurate, VF-0 from Bandai, a company with consistent QC.

Mmmmm.... VF-0 Chunky Monkey mmmmm......... :)

ah ok... it's not in the macross list.

it never really was on their macross list...since all that really lists are the SDF and DYRL? stuff mostly (the VB-6 is there too :p) i usually copy the マクロス and put it in the search and that's how i usually find it

I don't really give a hub-bub if the VF-0 needed parts swapping instead of perfect transformation. Perfect transformation is fine if you actually PLAYED with the toys, but I just take the TOY out of the box and display it on a shelf or case. And through seeing the great collections of the MW members displayed in glass cases, it's not like the majority of the late 20ish or early 30ish people play with them either on a routine basis.

I don't really give a hub-bub if the VF-0 needed parts swapping instead of perfect transformation. Perfect transformation is fine if you actually PLAYED with the toys, but I just take the TOY out of the box and display it on a shelf or case. And through seeing the great collections of the MW members displayed in glass cases, it's not like the majority of the late 20ish or early 30ish people play with them either on a routine basis.

For me though the perfect transformation is part of the appeal of the toy. Just to be able to point to a perfect transformation valk, or MP prime, or BT and say, "yep, that transforms into a robot. Part swapping you ask? Surely you jest, this is too fine a piece of toy engineering to require part swapping!" For me the engineering that makes the transformations possible is part of the art that goes behind any transforming toy. I can live with very minor part swapping, say landing gear, or hands, but I really prefer it to be kept to a minimum. I want a transforming toy, not a lego set.

Act this point, I would not mind minor swapping for near "Perfect Variable" and line art accuracy. I want that PV VF-0S almost as bad as the 1/72 scale and up PV YF-19 and VF-4G Lightning.

Yamato will probably have to do this for the upcoming GPB Armor for the 1/48s anyways, either remove the nose cone or extend the groin armor. Otherwise, the GBP would not be lineart accurate.

But I rather Yamato just can the 1/100 and move up to 1/72 or bigger. The bigger is better mantra heard from many of us would increase working realestate and allow Yamato to not comprimise on so much.

If they wanted to ride the M0 wagon while its hot, get re-working on that 1/100 NOW for mid-level enthusiants , followed by the holy grail 1/48 no comprimise version. There is no reason they cannot recoup cost through amortizing between S, A, and B versions. The D version will need some new parts but most are nearly the same.

The most disturbing trend for me is seeing the move to 1/100 scale for all new (non DYRL) Macross products. While the rest of world is scaling up (Dragon models, BBI, Hell even Gundam with the PG Seed Line), Yamato seems to be taking a step back. I hope this is only limited to initial smaller size "mass" market versions and Yamato will continue their tradition in making larger scale premium products but at better prices.

The most disturbing trend for me is seeing the move to 1/100 scale for all new (non DYRL) Macross products. While the rest of world is scaling up (Dragon models, BBI, Hell even Gundam with the PG Seed Line), Yamato seems to be taking a step back. I hope this is only limited to initial smaller size "mass" market versions and Yamato will continue their tradition in making larger scale premium products but at better prices.

It's amazing that you'd think that they'd get a clue with how unbelievably popular the larger scale 1/48 is. Sure some weren't as popular, but they all sell out eventually. I'm wondering how they decided to give Votoms the deluxe treatment. Maybe it would be better if they lost interest in Macross all together and give some other young upstart company a crack at the license.

I agree, I have this sinking feeling that yamato is moving out of the high end market (in terms of quality and finish) and producing more low end stuff... and pricing what should be mid range stuff at high end prices.

The most disturbing trend for me is seeing  the move to 1/100 scale for all new (non DYRL) Macross products. While the rest of world is scaling up (Dragon models, BBI, Hell even Gundam with the PG Seed Line), Yamato seems to be taking a step back. I hope this is only limited to initial smaller size "mass" market versions and Yamato will continue their tradition in making larger scale premium products but at better prices.

I agree, I have this sinking feeling that yamato is moving out of the high end market (in terms of quality and finish) and producing more low end stuff... and pricing what should be mid range stuff at high end prices.

I wouldn't exactly call the votom a low end product, nor the monster. If anything I see a trend of Yamato slowing it's releases and trying to spend more time on each individual product to get it right. How long were they working on the votom since it was announced? almost 2 years right? Also let us not forget the rather large Megazone bike they seem to be making. If I had to theorize about yamto marketing strategy, I'd say they are releasing a large number of cheaper products between the larger higher end releases, and are slowing the speed with which they are releaseing their flagship toys. Personally I am happy yamato is widening the gap between the release dates of it's high end products, it gives my wallet a nice break.

The most disturbing trend for me is seeing  the move to 1/100 scale for all new (non DYRL) Macross products. While the rest of world is scaling up (Dragon models, BBI, Hell even Gundam with the PG Seed Line), Yamato seems to be taking a step back. I hope this is only limited to initial smaller size "mass" market versions and Yamato will continue their tradition in making larger scale premium products but at better prices.

I wouldn't exactly call the votom a low end product, nor the monster. If anything I see a trend of Yamato slowing it's releases and trying to spend more time on each individual product to get it right. How long were they working on the votom since it was announced? almost 2 years right? Also let us not forget the rather large Megazone bike they seem to be making. If I had to theorize about yamto marketing strategy, I'd say they are releasing a large number of cheaper products between the larger higher end releases, and are slowing the speed with which they are releaseing their flagship toys. Personally I am happy yamato is widening the gap between the release dates of it's high end products, it gives my wallet a nice break.

I should have qualified my statement... I meant it for their macross toys...

I mostly just display my toys, but I like knowing that they transforms from one mode to another without the nead to go find the bag of parts. The engineering that goes into the figure is the appeal of Macross & Transformers for me.

Accuracy compared to the line art isn't all that important to me. In fact, I think the line art accurate battroids are ugly (too stocky looking for a robot that turns into a sleek jet). I much prefer the lanky look of the perfect transformables.

I think this is one of the reasons Yamato is so tight lipped. I a project get cancelled and nobody knows about it then nobody cares. either that or it's some weird Japanese honour thing where vaporware brings shame on thier ancestors. :rolleyes:

:lol:

That's great. Yeah, I still miss my 1/60 FP upgrades. <_<

At this point, like the YF-19FP, I'm not expecting the VF-0 anytime soon... if ever.

Neova is Dragon scaling up their airplanes? I know their warbirds line is very popular, and I myself love the falcon I bought.

If the PVC VF-0 was instead made in DIECAST and was more streamlined, and more accurate, people would buy them. Especially in a sized up scale...even 1/72 scale. PVC and a small size(no matter how big the optimists like to think it is for its scale) is a BAD combination for a near 40$ range toy. My dragon F-16 is 1/72 scale, about the size of a 1/100 Vf-0 and yet it was only 14$. Sure it was discounted but if it wasn't it would have been 18$. And it has MINIMAL part swapping aside from the missles.

Sure yamato could be catering to the display fans or casual fans, but either way the PVC VF-0 was flawed from the start. It is OBVIOUS that they do not care for it and everything they have strived to achieve these past 3 years is NOT showing with this product.

The appeal of diecast aircraft or small precision scale aircraft is the accuracy, streamlined feel and looks, and details in proportions and aesthetic details. Most of these qualities are lacking on the VF-0. 1/100 toy. I really couldn't care less if it came out or not. If there was a 1/60 diecast VF-0 with minimal swapping, or a 1/48 scale PV( I really could care less what the pessimists think of its size, most of you are going ape crazy over the monster and yet I hear noone saying "its TOO big!") I would certainly bite but not this time.

1/60 won people over since it was a dedicated diecast model, NOT a model kit, a diecast aircraft model. I truly understand why it was made to part swap and all that. It was made mainly for aesthetics. This while still classified as a toy, was still a very well done one, and had immense detail, and could certainly hold it's own in a beauty match, and also MORE durable than a hasegawa styrene kit. I truly believe it was made for casual play and high accuracy and detail without the toyetic exposed hinges and alll that. Basically the grown man's diecast HCM, for he who lacks the time to build a hasegawa.

1/48 won a bunch over since unlike the 1/60, it was certainly more toylike BUT went farther in being more "functional" with gimmicks usually associated with large 1/32 or 1.48 scale styrene kits like opening cockpit, radar, stuff like that. Flaps etc. It was also fairly easy to transform and above all perfect variable. The VF-1 toyt for the boy who grew up on 1/55s. BUT the 1/60 seems more appealing to the diecast aircraft junkie since it is more sleek and streamlined(arms tucked in better than 1/48). But for the 1/48 it is certainly MORE than good enough for us macross fans who want something incredibly detailed, PV, and bigger and more modern than the bandais.

Now the PVC 1/100 VF-0? More like overpriced gashapon. In fact, I have seen variable gashapon toys , considerably cheaper, look better, AND have less part swapping. truly a slap in the face to yamato.

Yamato has wooed macross fans alll over to some extent one way or another. They haven't pleased anyone, in fact I tend to think their marketing needs some work. IMHO the 1/60 was more for the diecast aircraft market. It feels that way,. From the minmal part swap to the add on accesory kits, to the metal content and precision, it is certainly more diecast model than it is toy. THe diecast air craft market was boomin at the time and in fact is still booming. Dragon warbirds was starting during the time of the 1/60 release and their models are similar in size. Corgi also makes 1/72 and most 1/72 aircraft are close in size to yamato's 1/60 VF-1s. It just makes sense that the diecast air market was the intended target. Oh yea and its HUGE in japan.

And I think the 1/48 was intended to please those who wanted a toy VF-1 rather than a diecast model.

I say FORGET the 1/100, and make a perfect variable!!!

Noel and those going to wonderfest please bug the hell out of yamato to make this happen~!

mostly just display my toys, but I like knowing that they transforms from one mode to another without the nead to go find the bag of parts. The engineering that goes into the figure is the appeal of Macross & Transformers for me.

Accuracy compared to the line art isn't all that important to me. In fact, I think the line art accurate battroids are ugly (too stocky looking for a robot that turns into a sleek jet). I much prefer the lanky look of the perfect transformables.

I have to agree with this. I like my robots skinny and sleek while my destroids fat and sturdy. Planes should be sleek and sexy while tank-like mecha should be robust and tough. I've always thought that because the valks need speed, thier body in battroid mode should suggest a tall athletic body type. Fast runner, gangly limbs, poseable shoulders and hips etc. When they wear the gbp or put extra armor on, THEN they start to look just right. (the armour makes them look more destroidy and chunky) But when not using that, they should be thier skinny selves where the lack of meat only adds to thier flexibiliy and ability to perform fine movements. (no chunks of bulky armour clumsily getting in the way of thier poses)

Oh yeah, and I support the "perfect transformable at a large scale" crowd. Having something that you can touch and transform and pose (well at least once a week :) ) while at the same time retain good detail is the key to making the toy more desirable. I think this is why I have ignored the bandai valk because it doesn't have an attitude in robot mode. I don't care too much about diecast and am quite happy with plastic. (banprestos are great when you can get them to do all the poses in robot mode without worrying if it is going to fall over. It is cheap but it looks much cooler in battroid than bandais.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I agree about the aesthetics of the Vf-1...they should be tall gangly and sleek. Leave tank mecha to the Destroids. I think that when they do a high end toy like the 1/48, they should offer two versions: Plastic liek ti is now for the toy market, adn uber die cast for you silly die cast nuts....I personally hate die cast. I really wish there was less in teh Mac+ Valks especially.....I got a YF-21 FP for Xmas and really really wish the legs weren't die cast cuz I know they're gonna scratch horribly. ( I also wish the hip joints weren;t so floppy so I could play with it, but thats beside the point)

I wouldn't have minded the PVC VF-0 personally....as like as it was priced appropriately...and if they released a super duper 1/48esque one, I would probably want that one too...but I would defenetaly play with the smaller one more.

Oh, and one last thing:

Give me my new YF-19!!! I dont care about the fast packs.....cuz they are UGLY (at least the Mac7 ones...are thsoe the same? cuz those are hideous)

Show me the newly engineered sexy 1/48 YF-19!! Ill buy a dozen :D

Oh, and one last thing:

Give me my new YF-19!!!  I dont care about the fast packs.....cuz they are UGLY (at least the Mac7 ones...are thsoe the same?  cuz those are hideous)

Show me the newly engineered sexy 1/48 YF-19!!  Ill buy a dozen :D

The M+ atmospheric fastpack are very simple and nice in all modes, the macross 7 ones are good in Fighter mode but IMO orrible in the others modes or at least very weird.

Due to the simplicity of the yf-19 fastpack they should include them just like the VF-0 fastpack.

Edited by Ido