Videos: Japanese Sword vs 9mm then .50cal

Warmaker

Wow!!!!! :blink: The pistol was amazing. But the 50 cal was stupendous!!!! The only reason it broke was that the blade did not keep the edge. The 7th bullet hit a damaged edge. If they were able to some how hold the machine gun and walk the barrell up and down the edge of teh blade, then the sword would be splitting more than just 6 bullets.

The scary thing is how fast those bullets are traveling considering how slow the blade moved after being broken off.

Still, it's a belt of .50 Cal ammunition.

I knew the sword was going to break but it held up a long time. I was figuring it was going to break up at the 1st round that impacted. Heck, you could see some of the slow motion segments where the blade SPLITS some .50 cal rounds!

Granted, the rounds hit at the blade, the strongest part. The .50 is a large, heavy round. 1st impact I thought would have done the blade in.

Good work for the swordmaker.

That was awesome indeed.

couldnt help but think while watching it though of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and the face off against the Scymitar?(sp) weilding badguy, that he just goes and shoots... :lol:

Couldn't pay me nuff to hold a sword while trying to prove that particular point of ' I can slice bullets' :p

Discovery channel said Japanese sword is the most powerful sword/blade type weapon human ever created.

Take anything on Discovery or History Channels with a grain of salt. They tend to make a lot of errors. And statements like that just beg to be disproven. First of all, describing something that relies entirely on human muscle as 'most powerful' is specious at best. Secondly, a katana's high quality is due to being made by a process called pattern welding which was also used by many other cultures all over the world. Katana's were good weapons, but saying they were the best is just silly.

Anyway, those video clips were hilarious. The American they got cracked me up.

Yeah, nifty, but simple physics.

Who would've thought that a tempered hard steel blade would cut through a bullet made of soft brass and lead??? :rolleyes:

And the American gun dude they got is priceless. Just gotta have a big, fat, hairy gaijin in there. That dude needs to spend more time lining up his shots, and less time lining up at the drive thru.

They are fine for a knife but far from good enough to be used in a sword. Just like stainless steel, too brittle to be used in a sword.

And I wonder who that sword smith was...if he used tamahagane or more modern swedish powdered steel.

Edited by Gaijin