What would make the better Xmas present?

Anubis

What would make the better Xmas gift?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What would make the better Xmas gift?

• Bandai Reissue 1/55 VF-1S
    • Bandai Reissue 1/55 VF-1J
    • Yamato 1/60 VF-1S

My girlfriend's brother (26) asked for a "Macross Figure" on his christmas list. He probably saw pics of my collection (I sent my gf a spread of shots of my house she could show some of her family) and he remembers and liked Macross. So I decided to give him the valk figure, which will be from me and my gf together. We don't ask specific which color sceme he would like because that would tip him off. She remembers he did say white at some point, so based off of tv means either a 1J or a 1S ruling out a CF.

Now, the Xmas budget only allows for one of the 3 above. If money wasn't a problem I'd have bought a Strike VF-1S already. She asked about the really big one that I had, and I told her how much the 1/48 cost, and she said stick with the smaller one. :lol:

I also showed her the Bandai reissue in case he was looking for the more nostalgic one. She's not sure either now after I explained the differences.

I already have a MIB Bandai 1J I could give him in storage, but I could get either of the others easy. Since it's for christmas I should automatically give him an MIB.

He has no Macross figures, no anime merchandise at all actually. I don't know how delicate he is with stuff either.

What do you guys think would be better to give him?

Edited by Anubis

Don't do it... any Macross item opens the door to more Macross items.  For goodness sake don't let him get started or it's all over...

Sounds more like a good reason TO do it to me...

Couldn't have said it better!! Get him a Yammie!!!

Actually my girlfriend stated that as a small worry about my getting him one, then he'll start buying stuff like I do. :lol:

I'm thinking I'll spurge the little extra and go with the Yamato Roy 1S. It is christmas after all, and I'm thinking "Which would I rather get for a first valk" and come back with the one that's more visually impressive. Nostalgia was second compared to having an accuate sculpt.

My girlfriend put it in an easier wording earlier: "Which would he be more excited about finding."

Guess I better order a Yamato today so it'll arrive in time.

I'm poor, so he's lucky he's getting a 1/60. I only have 2 1/48's. :lol:

Edited by Anubis

Actually my girlfriend stated that as a small worry about my getting him one, then he'll start buying stuff like I do.

As long as he's spending his own money, right?

He's on his own after this one though. :lol: I may act as a medium for ebay purposes though.

He seems pretty decent with his money. He saves most of his money (for now) so he can pay school and he doesn't have much space anyway.

Edited by Anubis

The bandai 1J u have MIB.  AWESOME, stands test of time, articulated for a 20 yr old "brick" and a CLASSIC.  Hell in my eyes the 1/48 still lacks in comparison in a few areas.  Give em the bandai!!

And that's my reasoning for considering giving him the 1J. A classic, a reissue of something he probably remembers from when he was younger. And I already have one on hand.

Edited by Anubis

I voted Bandai 1J. I'm with Shin and Jolly Rogers on this: a 1/55 is instant out-of-the-box fun and joy. With a 1/60, it's better to know what you're getting yourself into and realize that you're *not* going to be transforming it in 60 seconds.

(Spoken as a multiple 1/60 owner with just one 1/55.)

1/48 yammie hands down.  You can't  go wrong with it. Good choice Anubis. Who knows, the pandora's box is opened and he will have as many 1/48 yammies as me. ;)  :lol:

I'm only getting a 1/60 for him not a 1/48.

Still enough to catch the bug. I started with a 1/60 Roy 1S after all. Before everyone got spoiled on the 1/48's we all thought the 1/60's kicked ass. Even now, they're still not bad. I still might get a Super O for myself eventually.

After Christmas I'll see if the Bandai's interest him too and help him track one down if he wants one, or more Yammies.

Edited by Anubis

Get him some Macross gashapon figures or worse ..a Jack Archer YF-1R Robotech MPC :ph34r:

Ah, the Macross equivalent of Coal in the Stocking.

Wow, I didn't expect the vote to be almost a tie still after several hours.

Actually my girlfriend stated that as a small worry about my getting him one, then he'll start buying stuff like I do. :lol:

I'm thinking I'll spurge the little extra and go with the Yamato Roy 1S. It is christmas after all, and I'm thinking "Which would I rather get for a first valk" and come back with the one that's more visually impressive. Nostalgia was second compared to having an accuate sculpt.

My girlfriend put it in an easier wording earlier: "Which would he be more excited about finding."

I'm poor, so he's lucky he's getting a 1/60. I only have 2 1/48's. :lol:

You can't start a poll and then decide on your own... we own you now buddy!

People are always asking what they should spend their money on... heh...

I just made the tying vote towards the VF-1S Bandai... :p

I'm thinking I'll spurge the little extra  and go with the Yamato Roy 1S.  It is christmas after all, and I'm thinking "Which would I rather get for a first valk" and come back with the one that's more visually impressive.  Nostalgia was second compared to having an accuate sculpt.

My girlfriend put it in an easier wording earlier:  "Which would he be more excited about  finding."

I'm poor, so he's lucky he's getting a 1/60.  I only have 2 1/48's. :lol:

:lol:

I was looking for some input to hep decide, then you guys go and be split right down the middle! At this time 11 Yamato 1S, 11 Bandai 1S, and 7 Bandai 1J. I am actually quite surprized the love is split evenly.

I ordered a Yamato tonight for him. Decided to go with the detail.

I do like seeing all the varying opinions on the gift choices though.

Good call on the Yamato.

Nostalgia only takes you so far, and even as a kid with a Transformers addiction(and Robotech and Voltron and GoBots and...) I was always disappointed with the lack of articulation in many of the old '80s toys.

Currently my Jetfire is on display solely because it's a nice counterpoint to my Gakken Legioss. I just don't have anything else near that size for my shelf o' mecha, and the Legioss can't be allowed to dominate it so utterly. Even then it's a poor comparison, as the Legioss is just so much more flexible. And quite a bit more bulked up. I have nothing to offset the bulk(even if Jetfire's FAST packs weren't all busted up).

Once I can afford to grab a 1/48, Jetfire's getting packed away somewhere.

I'm thinking I'll spurge the little extra  and go with the Yamato Roy 1S.  It is christmas after all, and I'm thinking "Which would I rather get for a first valk" and come back with the one that's more visually impressive.  Nostalgia was second compared to having an accuate sculpt.

My girlfriend put it in an easier wording earlier:  "Which would he be more excited about  finding."

I'm poor, so he's lucky he's getting a 1/60.  I only have 2 1/48's. :lol:

:lol:

I was looking for some input to hep decide, then you guys go and be split right down the middle! At this time 11 Yamato 1S, 11 Bandai 1S, and 7 Bandai 1J. I am actually quite surprized the love is split evenly.

I ordered a Yamato tonight for him. Decided to go with the detail.

I do like seeing all the varying opinions on the gift choices though.

Put 1/48 in the poll and you'll see just how evenly the love is split :)

As much as I love the 1/48, I'd say if he is not a toy collector and not used to handling and transforming 'collector grade' Japanese mecha toys, then it's probably best to stick with the 1/55 for it's overall durability and ease of transformation.

All of us here are familiar with how to handle somewhat delicate Japanese mecha toys so that they wont break, but we forget that non-toy people tend to be somewhat ham-fisted and overly forceful, which is not good for the toy's health. Can we all say 'BP8...snap'!

Personally, I'd stay away from the 1/60 as a beginner toy, as the removable legs, troubled gerwalk mode, general floppiness and easily scratched paint job can lead to more frustrations than pleasure. We're pretty much all hardcore fans here, so we learn to live with these deficiencies in light of the toys other charms such as superior sculpt and poseability, but a casual fan may be more disappointed than we would be.

The 1/48 is best left to later on if he choses to move down the dark side and get into collecting Macross toys. If he gets it as a newbie, he won't appreciate all the features of the 1/48 as much as he he gets one later when he is more knowledgable.

Just my 2 cents.

Graham

Get him some Macross gashapon figures or worse ..a Jack Archer YF-1R Robotech MPC :ph34r:

No...ARII 15th anniversary figures! :p