Science and Technology MEGA THREAD

Max Jenius

This reminds me of the Bob Shaw novel 'Other Days, Other Eyes': in this story, a particular variety of glass allows to 'brake' light, allowing the viewer to see events which occured several hours, days or even weeks before

It's not exactly the same thing as the one described into this article but I'm glad to see that a SF writer 'predicted' the future once again... :p

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems as if the Star Trek writers empowered Mr. Scott to have an even more enduring impact for his 'technical' prowess.

"Gentlemen, I give you Transparent Aluminum!"

(Does this mean whales will definitely be extinguished from the Earth,too?)

Not sure how to post the link, but Yahoo! News page linked a story stating:

"Military: New Aluminum Windows Stop .50 cal Bullet", SPACE.com/Livecience.com

Well, it seems as if the Star Trek writers empowered Mr. Scott to have an even more enduring impact for his 'technical' prowess.

"Gentlemen, I give you Transparent Aluminum!"

(Does this mean whales will definitely be extinguished from the Earth,too?)

Not sure how to post the link, but Yahoo! News page linked a story stating:

"Military: New Aluminum Windows Stop .50 cal Bullet", SPACE.com/Livecience.com

337963[/snapback]

Here's a link: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123012131

Microbe and Machine Merged to Create First 'Cellborg'

Fully merging microbe and machine for the first time, scientists have created gold-plated bacteria that can sense humidity.

The breakthrough is the first "cellborg" in what might become an array of devices that could sense dangerous gases or other hazardous substances.

The bioelectronic device swells and contracts in response to how much water vapor is in the air. It’s called a cellborg humidity sensor, and it is at least four times more sensitive than those that are solely electronic. It even works even when its biological parts are long dead.

More...

• 2 weeks later...
Microbe and Machine Merged to Create First 'Cellborg'
Fully merging microbe and machine for the first time, scientists have created gold-plated bacteria that can sense humidity.

The breakthrough is the first "cellborg" in what might become an array of devices that could sense dangerous gases or other hazardous substances.

The bioelectronic device swells and contracts in response to how much water vapor is in the air. It’s called a cellborg humidity sensor, and it is at least four times more sensitive than those that are solely electronic. It even works even when its biological parts are long dead.

More...

340649[/snapback]

Awesome! How did I miss this?

• 2 weeks later...
i just saw that pinned topic with the "es" word.

so how come the word is hated and irritate members so much?

332408[/snapback]

This may have something to do with it:

Too many times...

I must say after going over all of that, I definitely haven't laughed that hard in a loooong time!

Edited by myk

Sweet mother of God...

Scientists discover 300 million year old tracks of gigantic 5-foot water scorpions!  :blink:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...t_scorpion.html

349201[/snapback]

I saw this thing on 4chan once about this ugle creature thats about 2ft long and looks like that water scorpion. It had this face and totally grossed me out. but everyone there wanted one. I wish I woulda kept a pic of it to find out it was real...

but on a lighter note:

I'd like to see some nerd show up at prom with this date...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/06/07/robots.ballroom/

I don't get it, You mean to tell there is there a shortage of woman that want to ballroom dance? The men outnumber them??? :rolleyes:

Yeah, but who wants to go through all of the trouble of having to court a real girl anyway-they're more trouble than their worth. Now, if they could get that thing to look like one of the Cylon girls from the new BSG then I'd sign up....

Ahh, lasers.  What can they NOT do?

Scientists developing a laser to kill cancer cells

317413[/snapback]

Look up RNAi... another proposed cancer treatment that may actually prevent a lot more diseases. Though not perfected yet. Scary stuff though. To think people might one day be able to control genes and cell structure at will...

317918[/snapback]

Iain M. Banks did in the Eighties.

I'm still waiting for the Army to bring out it's own version of the BOLO. ;)

Not sure if anyone tried colorizing Old Black and White photo's before, but the I know when ever I did, it was a very time consuming process with photoshop. The good ole boys over at Diggnation came across an awesome (and FREE!) program that does it in a matter of minutes, I have played around with it and it is fricken awesome, easy to use too. I am gonna recolor some old photos for my Grandmother for Christmas, this guy should get major props for making it so easy.

Colorize thos Black and Whites before they start charging for the program.

Edited by Mechwarrior

heres two thats interesting.

Link

armor that conan the barbarian would be proud of. note image not the real nano armor.

091205_Armor2.jpg

link

Don't like your old organs? print a new one out.

no dirty comments with this one :p

edit: 3rd one.

one step closer to thermal nuclear engines?

link

Edited by Zentrandude

not sure if this has been posted but take a look

a different kind of car

Nissan Pivo

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2005/...50930-02-e.html

352241[/snapback]

A cabin that rotates 360*? I think I'd rather throw it into R than have to deal with a rotating cabin.

• 3 weeks later...

i saw some stuff earlier in this thread about the UCAV's. My father's company helped develop them with Northrop Grumman and various other govt contract companies. The arsenal is generally unlisted, but from what my dad told me it's pretty impressive, and the UCAV's are very easy to remotely pilot. I actually got to see and mess with all of the prototype smaller scales before they got approved for production. The company he works for is here www.aurora.aero ... they also make a bunch of other spy planes and other cool gadgets and put great use to modern materials like transparent aluminum and special carbon fiber.

Edited by emajnthis

Taiwan breeds green-glowing pigs

Scientists in Taiwan say they have bred three pigs that glow in the dark.

They claim that while other researchers have bred partly fluorescent pigs, theirs are the only pigs in the world which are green through and through.

Green eggs and ham anyone?

360086[/snapback]

:lol:

I like this passage:

The researchers hope the pigs will boost the island's stem cell research, as well as helping with the study of human disease

Seriously, what sort of diseases do they plan to heal with that? People who are too much shy in the dark or what? :p

China to build world`s first "artificial sun" experimental device

Scientists believe that deuterium can be extracted from the sea and an enormous amount of energy can be obtained from a deuterium-tritium fusion reaction under huge temperatures of 100 million degrees Celsius. After nuclear fusion, the deuterium extracted from one liter of sea water will produce energy equivalent to 300 liters of gasoline.

That's fascinating. What's the energy equivalent of 300 liters of gasoline though? Does it compare to the amount of energy and resources required during the sea-water fusion?

China to build world`s first "artificial sun" experimental device

Scientists believe that deuterium can be extracted from the sea and an enormous amount of energy can be obtained from a deuterium-tritium fusion reaction under huge temperatures of 100 million degrees Celsius. After nuclear fusion, the deuterium extracted from one liter of sea water will produce energy equivalent to 300 liters of gasoline.

363019[/snapback]

Thats kind of cool they trying to use fusion reaction to power the electrolysis machine to get the heavy water out.

Britain and the US are both working on "visual stealth", making drones invisible from the ground.

A British programme called Chameleon aims to use fibre-optics and light emitting diodes to diminish the contrast between an aircraft and the sky.

Aircraft stand out against the bright sky as darker objects, but by using bright panels of light, a plane can almost disappear against the blue sky.

British researchers have even been experimenting with technology to electronically alter infrared emissions - to make a warm object appear cold. This device is known as "the infrared chameleon".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4422539.stm

Does anyone here get reminded of the optic stealth used on the fuchi koma in Gits manga? Ghost X 9 from macross plus + optic stealth from gits = lethal combination. :D

Now that will really cut down on the commute time:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/01/24/rocket.bike/index.html

364002[/snapback]

Thats one thing we don't need. Bad enough having the biker fly 10 meters when he/she runs into a car. now it would the biker fly 10 meters and a large explosion as the rocket bike explodes.

• 3 weeks later...