Bandai 1/55 Macross Valkyries

jonwayne

Never really paid much attention to them when I began collecting Macross. All my heart and wallet had gone to Yamato 1/60. More heart and wallet after the 1/48 came out.

Today finally decided to open 4 of Bandai's 1/55 Valkyries which I had intended to keep MISB. Oh, what the heck, keep MISB for what, I was thinking. They're not my real love. Open damit! Open!

So now inside my display cabinet there are VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1J Hikaru, Super VF-1S Hikaru, & of coz VF-1S Roy. After taking a good look at them, I suddenly feel that, hey, they are not so bad afterall. As compared to Yamato, they are:

1) Cheaper

2) Most of the markings are painted. No need to apply stickers.

3) Much better quality plastic/ material

4) Easy to transform

5) Much more durable for play. i.e. more lasting

6) And I love playing with the wheels, although I had to be careful of my thumb.

7) No QC problem like that of Yamato's

If you just place 1 Bandai 1/55 together with the rest of Yamato's, of course it'll look out of place. But when you place several pieces of them together, they actually look quite impressive.

Now I'm considering getting VF-1A Production, VF-1J Max/Millia. I know VF-1A Production is cheap Something like S$60 Only (Singapore dollars). But the market price for Max/Millia is about S$300? That's a bit too much IMO. The most I'm willing to fork out is S$200. Even S$200 I'd had to consider.

Anyway, I feel that Bandai 1/55 should deserve more attention.

And somebody should seriously tell Yamato to improve their QC.

I will always think that the Bandai/Taka 1/55 is a true masterpiece of toy design and one of the best if not THE best transforming toy ever made. It may not look as sleek and accurate as a 1/48, but within the Chunky Monkey Bandai managed to get everything right. Perfect transformation, beautiful design, high quality and durable construction and fantastic QC. And the reissues with all the little decals painted on are even more impressive. The fact that people are still to this day experiencing it for the first time and singing it's praises is a great testament to how wonderful a toy it is.

Now if they would just get off their butts and release the VF-1D....

Funny I was thinking about these the other day when I was trying to rearange the boxes in the closet.

I love Bandai!

I am so glad they rereleased these. I love the 1/48s but I've been wanting these for so long, it goes beyond nostalgia. It wasn't like I saw them online and thought "I remember these..." It was like..."Holy Cow!!! I won the frikken lottery!" I finally get to buy them as much as I want, as many as as I want. And I can still buy them as of right now.

Eriku is 100% right on each of the qualities of the reissues.

But I hate Bandai!

They should have frikken released the Elint, GBP, and Ostrich before they killed they're own market with the repaints. Dumbasses! <_<

drifand, nice orguss collection. i see you even have some of the bootleg white 1/60s. very nice.

i think you'll find that here on the boards there is a cult following for the 1/55's. i personally love them to death, the bandai's are nice but there is no toy out there today that can compare to an OG takatoku in styrofoam insert with that nice textured box. the toy inside was pretty nice too ;)

*Only* things really neeeded in the 1/55 line...to make them true MPs

4. posable hands

3. A pilot

2. airbrake/ heat shield

1. those knees from the Yams or even the TYNMY MPC valks....

-didnt someone do a custom with turning knees?

other than that they are really nice toys...quite impressive considering the age...

Hey Drifand- nice collection...... :o

I clicked on the link to your collection and just have to ask. How is the B. Alpha suspended like that..???wires???smoke and mirrors??

Long live OGRUSS!!!!!!

Edited by orguss01

4. posable hands

3. A pilot

2. airbrake/ heat shield

other than that they are really nice toys...quite impressive considering the age...

I clicked on the link to your collection and just have to ask. How is the B. Alpha suspended like that..???wires???smoke and mirrors??

Long live OGRUSS!!!!!!

2-way hip joints would be nice. Remember, teh Bandai valks can't move their legs in or out, just forward and back.

Tehy're great toys, durability-wise. But they have all the posability of a rock.

drifand, nice orguss collection. i see you even have some of the bootleg white 1/60s. very nice.

i think you'll find that here on the boards there is a cult following for the 1/55's. i personally love them to death, the bandai's are nice but there is no toy out there today that can compare to an OG takatoku in styrofoam insert with that nice textured box. the toy inside was pretty nice too ;)

DITTO!

4. posable hands

3. A pilot

2. airbrake/ heat shield

Long live OGRUSS!!!!!!

some of the bandai's valk have heat shield. i think only the VF-1J do not have them. not sure.

and i really really luv to own a VE-1 and a GBP

The Bandai 1/55 Valkyries are the "BOMB." Especially, the reissue Valkyries by Bandai. Features like prepainted decals and swapable heat shield. And yes all the reissues 1/55 Valkyries by Bandai have the swapable heat shield. Well, at least the last time I checked.

However, I could not understand why Bandai did not include the missile clusters like the one from the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. Or even better, I can not understand why Bandai did not reissue the following:

1. GBP VF-1S giftset

2. Strike Valk

3. Super Ostrich

4. Elint Seeker

Or new ones like the Minmay VF-1S Strike Valk Guard, the VF-1D and so on. Never say never though because it could be in the making as we speak. Or its up to us as Macross fans to convince Bandai that there's a demand for it. For example, taking considerable amount of preorders to show Bandai that we'll support the project. But this move is just my idea though.

Hmmm.....in fact, lets all try something new. How does everyone feel about taking a pole to see if Bandai should reissue the above Valkyries.

Starting with me, that is one. So who's next :)? Let see a show of hands for those who would like to see Bandai rerelease the above valkyries (No. 1-4).

i own all three scales, the 1/48s and 1/60s and 1/55 Toynamis all sit in different modes and are posed and changed from time to time, the Bandai 1/55s are the ones I grab up and start playing with. they are the only ones I let my kids touch as well, these things are built like bricks! if someone breaks in my house and i can't get to a gun, i'm gonna beat them with a chunky monkey!

if someone breaks in my house and i can't get to a gun, i'm gonna beat them with a chunky monkey!

well, all their gun do have missle projectiles included. that'll do the trick. tell the thief that the projectile won't kill him immediately. but rather cause him to have non-stop internal bleeding with hell lots of pain for weeks before he evantually die from loss of blood.

and oh yes, more bandai reissue please.

Long live OGRUSS!!!!!!

Heh... believe it or not, the Legioss is perched on a stand originally included with the crappy Kotobukiya VR-Temjin. THAT toy fell apart if you so much as looked at it wrong – the monoshaft joints were simply too fragile even for long-term static display. However, the special angled stand seems to be made of sturdier stuff; it has held up the weighty Legioss at that swooping angle for over 2 years without a sign of stress. I first thought of using that stand when I couldn't find anything else that would let me dynaimcally display the Legioss in all 3 modes. I love using improvised props to help give more life to my displays. :-)

Bandai really should release the last 4 1/55 biggies, but if they did, you can be sure of a hefty mark-up (as usual). I believe they mis-understood the fan-popularity for the 1/55 series. They thought it was uniform across the board when in fact, certain models carried more weight with fans. Many simply wanted to own the DX sets that were too pricey to get on the vintage market.

i own all three scales, the 1/48s and 1/60s and 1/55 Toynamis

Actually, theres a couple of other scales for VF-1s: 1/100 and the 1/72 HCM Valkyries, the latter of which is about to get some sorely needed attention from me here.

They've got a reputation for fragility, but I think that may be more because they feel like they're going to snap in half, not that they actually will! Okay, so they're not hefty metal like the 1/55s, or ultra-detailed like 1/60s and 1/48s. But...

...they have a pilot figure. A mountable gunpod. Missiles. Tail hooks (something not even on the 1/48!). A heatshield. Real rubber tyres (not on the 1/60s...!). Working trigger fingers (also not on the 1/60s!). Improved arm and leg movement over the 1/55s.

They do have their issues - they're largely plastic, and feel it. The sculpt is only a modified version of the 1/55, and the tail fins stick up too much in Battroid mode (although I feel this is a bit exaggerated in reporting and not overly noticable when you actually have a 1/72 on display). Fighter mode has gaps all over.

But... of all my Valkyries, I think the 1/72 has the best-looking Battroid mode, as a toy goes. Its not as accurate or as detailed, but its "feels" better. To me, anyway. The rest of you are probably ready to adminster the Monster stomp on me now... :lol:

(the remaining problem with 1/72s is because Bandai never re-released them, making them look their best by fitting all the little covers and things means wrecking their value, if you care about that kind of thing... )

This thread makes me want to buy a 1/55 J model. (I have a CF and a Fast Pack 1S already)

I love the CF 1/55. Though it's put away now due to lack of space.

Edited by Anubis

I love the CF 1/55.  Though it's put away now due to lack of space.

The CF looks even better when outfitted with FPs, IMHO. Make that all 1/55s, especially Hikaru's 1A. It's my fav 1/55 that is being displayed at the moment. Although I'm getting a hankerin' to display some M&M with FPs. :D

The CF looks even better when outfitted with FPs, IMHO. Make that all 1/55s, especially Hikaru's 1A. It's my fav 1/55 that is being displayed at the moment. Although I'm getting a hankerin' to display some M&M with FPs. :D

I know what ya mean...

1034382803116_VF_1A_Strike_F2.jpg

I love the original Takatoku CF mounted with strike armor!