Anyone play Robotech Invasion?

With the way the first Robotech game ended up it'll probably end up cheaper than those Greatest Hits titles.

(I've seen Battlecry sell for as low as $7.99 at Fry's Electronics) :lol:

I played the demo that came with a recent issue of Xbox magazine. I really wanted to like it, but what they had on the demo was a pretty bland FPS. There was no need to transform to cycle mode. It was only the first level, so hopefully the complete product is more fun, but I'd rent it first.

eNeS Posted on Oct 7 2004, 09:23 AM

Macross PS2? :S Do you mean Battlecry or is there a Macross game for PS2 that i don't know about? 

Uh....there's never been a Macross game released in the states....you should know that....

After the input from fans on Battlecry, HG with the help of Vicious Cycle went and made a more appropraite 3D FPS/3PS game for fans of the Next gen.

I own the game now, and to be honest I'm not all that dissapointed by it but it could be better. I haven't had a chance to play it online at all since its Broadband only.

Graphics are fine, no bugs that can be noticed right away except when you get killed while riding your cyclone.....it'll drag your dead body for a few feet which is rather funny.

Music seems to be mostly an original score except you hear the remixed Robotech theme a few times to many :p

But I only played a good hour or two of the game, so I'm being WAY to quick to judge honestly.

There are plenty of top tier games being released these days, so I don't have time or money for a game that's "just okay." Especially because the only reason I bought Battlecry is, after ignoring all the Robotech garbage, it's Macross. Not being a fan of Genesis Climber Mospeada, and definately not liking the bastardized Robotech, the game's gotta be a lot more compelling than "just okay" to get my money.

Are the levels in general as confined as the demo one? It just felt wrong to have a game where you could change into a motorcycle mode, then have the driveable area be as wide as a supermarket aisle with obstacles. For some reason it felt worse than the 'bubble ceiling' over the ground missions in Battlecry. I'm hoping it was just because the demo level appears to be the prologue or tutorial type level of the game.

Until I hear something really enthusiastic about some part of the game, it's definitely an eventual rental or 'well, it's only $10' type game for me, which is a shame because I am a fan of the Next Generation/Mospeada mecha. I don't really feel the need to pay full price for an 'okay' game.

The demo I played was meh'. I'll definitely wait till the price drops I'm way too content with the PS2 haul I got last week consisting of Mat Hoffman BMX 2, Max Payne 2, Manhunt and Tony Hawk's Underground. What I'm looking foward to next week is Midway Arcade Classics 2!

Edited by gerwalk25

The demo I played was meh'. I'll definitely wait till the price drops I'm way too content with the PS2 haul I got last week consisting of Mat Hoffman BMX 2, Max Payne 2, Manhunt and Tony Hawk's Underground. What I'm looking foward to next week is Midway Arcade Classics 2!

Here's a tidbit for you... the Xbox version of Midway Arcade Treasures 2 is apparently Xbox Live enabled... meaning versus matches in MK II over the net. Sweet.

The PS2 version of the first one got less than enthusiastic reviews, though considering Retrogaming Radio's host is an old school elitist asshat perfectionist who can apparently tell if any frames are skipped or if the audio isnt perfect in a videogame, this should be taken with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, Im glad I get a bonus check from work this month. Ill be getting me this Robotech game AND Midway Treasures 2. Still need Atari's console collection and Intellivision Lives! though. Even though I have a working Inty with like 50 games. And its the SEARS version, which rocks out with beige and dark brown uglyness over the faux woodgrain, gold and black beauty of the original. It does have removable controllers though, something the original Intellivision didn't have.

Gotta love retrogaming collections!

I've been looking forward to this game being a Mospeada/N.G fan.. I'll still buy it. A friend of mine was seriously pissed that it wasn't cel shaded like Battlecry but I'm glad they went a different style.

Tell me anyone who's played it.. does this game have the same play style as the Transformers game? (ie, speed around in vehicle mode, change into robot mode and shoot stuff)?

I read a review of it in Play magazine today. They gave it a C+. It looks like the other magazine reviews agree... http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920716.asp

Kinda sucks, I was looking forward to this one. Looks like we should wait for a price drop on this one... or make it a rental. Too many potential A+ releases coming up (Halo 2, GTA: San Andreas, Metal Gear: Snake Eater) to blow 40 bucks on a C+.

Jeff

I picked it up today and played it. Nothing to revolutionary about it, but somewhat fun. I've always loved Cyclones.

What is really interesting is that there is a short timeline in the manual and it totally skirts the issue of using SDF Macross names and refers to the SDF-1 as "the earth vessel".

For those still on the fence, there's a new demo in with this months issue of Official Playstation mag. I haven't touched it yet though, as I'm far too distracted with the playable MGS3 & Ratchet & Clank demo's...

The EB I work at hasn't sold a single copy, and its near a college campus, where anime-related titles or obscure japanese ones always do very well.

I guess another point would be that Battlecry dropped in price drastically, and that actually had pretty decent reviews. Who knows how this one will do. I give it at most 2 months before a drastic price drop.

For those still on the fence, there's a new demo in with this months issue of Official Playstation mag. I haven't touched it yet though, as I'm far too distracted with the playable MGS3 & Ratchet & Clank demo's...

Warning, that demo is of the pre-E3 build, which dates it from waaaay back in May. Just a reminder.

So there's this game called "Star Wars: Battlefront", and you get to kill Ewoks, Jar Jar's friends and Jawas. Life was good. Then you destroy Naboo with the Death Star.

Suddenly Star Wars doesn't suck anymore.

Yeah, I was playing that. Until MK Deception came out. And I'm picking up SNK vs. Capcom tonight. Shooting Ewoks and Gungans is fun, but not as personal as the 2D ass-whoopings I'm going to be delivering, if anyone wants one.

Warning, that demo is of the pre-E3 build, which dates it from waaaay back in May. Just a reminder.

Really? You'd think they'd put out a newer demo...cuz that demo isn't that impressive. Anyone play the full game yet?

and I think I'll be passing on MGS3. Gameplay is cool but I'm tired of watching boring cutscenes which I think MGS3 will be full of them.. <_< I did like the Ghost in the Shell demo.

I have no clue if I'm like 1/3rd the way done, or half way done...but as your going around crushing hords of Invid Hives, a strange man in black cyclone armor attacks your character as your within a crashed ship using its cannons.

You chase him down while your squad is being pinned down by Invid Shock Troopers.

He leads you into the catacombs of a very large Hive where the Regis is freaking out either because humans are inside, or because of a single man, she doesn't specifically list who, but it's either you or this guy in black since alot of shock troopers come poping out wanting to kill you.

After coming to a deadend, otherwise known as a cliff :p there's an explosion and it sends you flying into a waste dump where the guy in black emerges from the cliff saying how you shouldn't be in t he way and how he'd take pity on you and not kill you but that's not his strong suit. Suddenly you see there are ALOT of mines all around you and you also got lil creepy invid bugs that'll suck your life away. So you now got 1 minute to get your soldier butt out of the hive.

Following that if you make it out :p you discover members of your team have been captured and you gottoa get them back. Your surrounded by a crap load of invid troopers near a prison camp "All prisoners will be given their daily bread and water. Weekends will be soup. Any prisoner asking for more rations will be punished as an example to others. Oh yes, and escaping, that's another beatin."

:p I made sure I got that guy first.

Once I killed EVERY SINGLE invid in my sights with my beam saber or rifle OR hehe missiles, I unlocked the saftey grid's shields and about to make my way into the prison.

^_^ all in all not bad. People complained the acceleration of the cyclone is slow, but once you get upgraded for boosters on your first lil POS, you'll just need to double tap your accelerator and your speedin like a mad man with a purpose.

You do change armor from time to time, I'm on my second round of Cyclone ride armor, the same style that Lance had. You also meet up with Scotts group....but they all got Blue Alphas for some apparent reason....infact just about all the Alphas I've encountered are Blue....lazy developers there :p

I'm with Mike... there are too many "really good" game titles coming out to be wasting money on a title that is anything less than nuclear (at least until after Christmas).

This is going to be the fall when Sony once again pwns everyone's wallet.

-The new, sleeker PStwo comes out, about the size of a controller AND it's got a flip-top opening! (read: hella lot easier to mod)

-Ace Combat 5

-GTA: San Andreas

-Gran Turismo 4

-MGS3: Snake Eater

-MK Deception (not a personal choice, but lots of people seem to dig it)

Granted, none of those are "original" titles (all sequels), but they all bring something new and innovative to the market. New on the market we also have Star Wars: BattleFront (this game "r0x0rs the phat one111")

What do X-box gamers get? "Fable" (*supposed* to be good) and HALO2 (which, for their sakes, had BETTER be good, since they've waited so long). HALO2 will sell like mad, but I don't think it'll top the combined sales of all of the above titles (I'd rather have 5-6 really good titles to divert my time amongst as opposed to 2). Sorry X-box, it's just not your year.

Game Informer also gave "Invasion" pretty pathetic ratings... it sounds like the guys there also wanted to love it, but just couldn't.

Edited by Skull Leader

I don't think its the best game in the world but it's a hell of alot better in my opinion than BC. But they sure do tease you alot and lovin it about not being able to pilot an Alpha....:(

As for Halo 2 0_o game stop is opening their doors at midnight on the 9th of november since there are so many orders for it....scary ain't it?

Vice City San Andreas comes out in 19 days...

Who cares about Robotech.. I am sure it will suck as bad as the last one.

70% of the missions you will have to protect the cats-eye, or some lame ass thing.

I'm with Mike... there are too many "really good" game titles coming out to be wasting money on a title that is anything less than nuclear (at least until after Christmas).

This is going to be the fall when Sony once again pwns everyone's wallet.

-The new, sleeker PStwo comes out, about the size of a controller AND it's got a flip-top opening! (read: hella lot easier to mod)

-Ace Combat 5

-GTA: San Andreas

-Gran Turismo 4

-MGS3: Snake Eater

-MK Deception (not a personal choice, but lots of people seem to dig it)

Granted, none of those are "original" titles (all sequels), but they all bring something new and innovative to the market. New on the market we also have Star Wars: BattleFront (this game "r0x0rs the phat one111")

What do X-box gamers get? "Fable" (*supposed* to be good) and HALO2 (which, for their sakes, had BETTER be good, since they've waited so long). HALO2 will sell like mad, but I don't think it'll top the combined sales of all of the above titles (I'd rather have 5-6 really good titles to divert my time amongst as opposed to 2). Sorry X-box, it's just not your year.

Game Informer also gave "Invasion" pretty pathetic ratings... it sounds like the guys there also wanted to love it, but just couldn't.

Actually, aside from Ace Combat 5 and Megaman X8, I'm done with PS2. And mind you, Megaman X Command Mission was the last game I'd bought for the PS2 in months. I have a perfectly good, ordinary PS2 with a nice mod-chip inside, so I couldn't give a rat's behind about the new PS2 design. If I were to spend any money on a new system, it'd be the Nintendo DS, but even then, I'll probably wait and see how it's doing in the spring.

Now Xbox... I've bought the entire ESPN 2K5 line, Guilty Gear X2, SNK vs. Capcom Chaos, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005, Star Wars Battlefront, X-Men Legends, and Mortal Kombat Deception since August, and a good bit of that's on Live, so look for Pharaohman if you want to play me in any of those games. Also, between now and the end of the year, I'll definately be snagging Dead or Alive Ultimate, Halo 2, and Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Edited by mikeszekely

OMG, I finally got a chance to play RT:Invasion... Very dissapointed, and I got stuck between a wall and a rock which pissed me off even more. The running animation looks all dorky... I can't believe HG allows craptastic stuff like this from getting released... Thank goodness I didn't buy it, but wasted rental $$$. <_<

I don't think its the best game in the world but it's a hell of alot better in my opinion than BC. But they sure do tease you alot and lovin it about not being able to pilot an Alpha....:(

What? You can't pilot an Alpha? Oh no.

One of the main attractions in the Macross-Mospeada/Robotech worlds is the fantasy of taking flight in a fully transformable Valkyrie/Veritech. To be stuck on the ground in a Cyclone for the duration of the game is, to put it lightly, one of the most droll and ridiculous ideas I have ever heard of. Say what you will about Battlecry, but being able to buzz around and shift on the fly while duking it out with other mecha with missiles flying everywhere is more fun than anyone here is willing to admit that they had...

It's not bad really, I mean its better than BC for sure graphics wise, storywise well I'm not sure to be honest. But it looks like I'm almost done if I'm understanding this right cause...........I'm at Reflex Point.....but I'm stuck cause I gotta destroy 5 Gunturrents and can only find 4 of the 5.........the 5th one is hiding somewhere and I can't figure out where!