The NEW Star Wars on DVD thread

Why in ANH when Ben gives Luke his father's lightsaber its blue. Later on when Luke is practicing on the Falcon it starts out green? What happened here?

thank god i'm not the only person who noticed this. its a definite greenish-white hue on the falcon :blink:

Noticed it too. . . then later in that same training scene on the falcon, it's nearly (if not completely) color-less.

My geeky theory to explain it away: It's running in "training mode". . . so Luke won't kill himself with it accidentally. When in training mode, it's running at a different "frequency" and therefore has a different color.

Hehe. . .

H

I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for. I wouldn't let some untrained whelp screw around with a live lightsaber in my ship.

ok, now we're entering the realm of TOTAL fan-geekdom... does it matter if his "training mode" is the same color as the lightsabers in the new series? Everyone has a different color lightsaber anyway, why do their training modes have to be the same? Best to let this one slide, mi amigo/a s

edit: left out the R in training

Edited by Skull Leader

That R2 line was something that supposedly showed up in the soundtrack that they used to make the '97 SE. They didn't even realize it was different until after the fact. There were several mixes for each of the films, in mono and stereo. Jedi is the only one that I doesn't have any alternate takes, afaik.

***removes foot from mouth***

Bleehhh!!!

Well that explains it, I take back what I said. :)

[Complete Dork Mode]

Hey did anyone watch the "Birth of the Lightsaber" special yet? Did anyone find it ironic that GL goes on about how the lightsabers in the early movies where "two handed weapons" and his direction to the actors was that they were "very heavy and required two hands to propperly use" with the actors going to one hand later on and then showing off the feats of the early Jedi in the newer movies?...

... then how come the first time you ever see a Lightsaber in the darn movies Luke is one-handing it like he's playing with a sparkler? I found that just totally weird.

[/Complete Dork Mode]

I was disappointed to see that they retained the changed line when Artoo is spit out by the swamp monster though.

Original line: "You're lucky you don't taste very good."

New line: "You were lucky to get out of there!"

H

I noticed that also. Empire is my favorite of the lot and the only part of the trilogy which I felt Lucas did not fully screw up like he did the other 2 movies. Save for that line of dialogue near the end where Vader asks for his shuttle. Damn, since it has been confirmed that James Earl Jones will be doing the voice of vader in Episode 3, you'd think Lucas would pay the man a few bucks to redo that line. I never saw the special editions at the theatre save for A New Hope, and was not aware of the line change until I watched the DVD today. It got me a little wired, but I just shrugged it off.

As for the DVD problems, I have watched the whole set, and have concluded that there's nothing wrong with mine other than the music dropping out during the first half of the Death Star battle. And that was checking it in all modes. Everything else is fine.

I exchanged the two Star Wars sets that I bought. One of the new ones was fine. The other one had the same problems on the same disc.

So now, I have to go back and exchange Star Wars again.. until I replace it with one that works properly.

Fans Discover Glitch in 'Star Wars' DVD Soundtrack

Fans of John Williams are up in arms over an apparent glitch in the new Star Wars DVD set in which the left and right channels fed to the rear speakers in surround sound are reversed in the original Star Wars movie (Episode 4). John Takis, who frequently analyzes film scores for Internet groups, points out that the violins can be heard coming from the left surround-sound speakers and the cellos from the left. "It is essentially a 124-minute audio glitch," Takis writes on the John Williams fansite, www.JW-Music.net. "The sound effects are correctly positioned in the surround channels. It's just the music that's backwards." Takis also takes issue with other aspects of the sound mix for the original movie. "Remember the awesome fanfare version of the Force theme that kicks off the Death Star battle?" he writes "Good luck hearing it this time around -- it's virtually inaudible."

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#1

I exchanged the two Star Wars sets that I bought. One of the new ones was fine. The other one had the same problems on the same disc.

So now, I have to go back and exchange Star Wars again.. until I replace it with one that works properly.

Well, that sounds lousy. I'm still waiting a bit to buy mine. I'll have to see what happens in the next few weeks. Thanks for the links btw. Sad that this release had to be so problematic.

I heard on the radio today that LFL released a press release claiming something like $115 million in sales for the DVD set on it's first day of availability... but then after that story a local radio talk host I listen to had a movie "expert" on who debunked it saying LFL fudged those numbers by including the Battlefront game sales in there as well as preorders and gross unit dispersal sales... meaning LFL did not actuall sell $115 million worth of DVD sets they just claim to have.

Has anyone heard anything to prove or disprove that guy's claim against their claim? :unsure:

I heard on the radio today that LFL released a press release claiming something like $115 million in sales for the DVD set on it's first day of availability... but then after that story a local radio talk host I listen to had a movie "expert" on who debunked it saying LFL fudged those numbers by including the Battlefront game sales in there as well as preorders and gross unit dispersal sales... meaning LFL did not actuall sell $115 million worth of DVD sets they just claim to have.

Has anyone heard anything to prove or disprove that guy's claim against their claim?  :unsure:

"According to Reuters, $115 million in worldwide sales were generated on Tuesday, the first official day of the title's release. That's an impressive figure, despite the fact that the number reportedly includes sales data for both the DVD box set and the Star Wars: Battlefront video game. We expect separate numbers to be released soon." -TheDigitalBits.com

Edited by Drad

I did not read the link you posted, all I heard were the stories on the radio news today which seemed to leave out the game side and put all the emphasis on the DVD sets... to the point that a local radio talk show host had a guy on who was an "expert" to talk about it. This supposed "Expert" said that despite they listed the total along with the game the numbers they used were fudged somehow... they did something to "cook the books" (I loathe that phrase but the so called "expert" used it in the interview) to come up with that number.

My interest was in whether or not this lone "expert" was just a kook or if people knew of actual facts that LFL shifted some numbers in funny ways to make it seem like they sold more than they actually did.

[Complete Dork Mode]

Hey did anyone watch the "Birth of the Lightsaber" special yet? Did anyone find it ironic that GL goes on about how the lightsabers in the early movies where "two handed weapons" and his direction to the actors was that they were "very heavy and required two hands to propperly use" with the actors going to one hand later on and then showing off the feats of the early Jedi in the newer movies?...

... then how come the first time you ever see a Lightsaber in the darn movies Luke is one-handing it like he's playing with a sparkler? I found that just totally weird.

[/Complete Dork Mode]

Though I'm probably going to be joining you on the Dork Side for this, it really does make sense to me how using the lightsaber has been handled in the movie.

Since the blade weighs nothing, it's very easy to swing the weapon around one-handed, as Luke does in ANH. But with the blade extended and actually hitting something (another blade or whatnot), all the torque generated by that impact would take a great deal of arm strength to use one-handed.

Notice how Vader was strong enough to use the blade with only one hand for a while? I thought that was cool :)

On a slightly different note, a thought occured to me during the boredom of work: With all the people on this site bitching and whining about how Lucas is changing things and ruining the way it went... why do you people support DYRL? Or want a reanimated SDF Macross? Since that would be doing what Lucas has done with SW, shouldn't you people be up in arms over how DYRL "raped" the concepts of SDF Macross simply to make a quick theatrical buck? About how a reanimated SDF Macross would take the good parts and screw them all up based on current-day concepts by the creator?

Just some food for thought...

Simple, even with the existence of DYRL, the TV series has remained easily available. Kawamori never tried to whipe out one version with the other, nor do any anime directors (as TV & movie versions of the same story are far from uncommon).

[Complete Dork Mode]

[/Complete Dork Mode]

I am fairly experienced in fencing. The first movies 4-6 they use "real" fencing technique and some movie stuff. Lukes foot work is excellent, look at it after he scream and start to kick Vader.

First sword are not that hevy but it strain your wrist enormous to use a "big" sword in one hand. It is almoust "impossibly" to change track then you started a blow, the center of gravity is high in the blade. That make them dificult to handel but they are not "slow" only dificult to use.

We have meny exampel that the sword have a high center of gravity. The best example is then Vader is throwing his sword at Luke, the sword are spinging around the middel of the blade not the handle.

Then we have the crazy problem two vs one, Dart Maul would get killd if the two jedis whanted to attack together. Then the blade have lost some mass way are they not shopping of Dart Mauls leg he allways plant is leg in a "strange" way, I have only use a half staff not a full one, but I can not understand way the bloody leg is so expose or look so expose.

But in the last movie the blade have lost its mass. What the point of use the sword as a sword, the blad is a killer if you touch it you dont ned to use strength. Then use it as a rapier, the rapirer have the center of gravity in the handle. You can change direction very fast. Way are not all lightsable like Dookus? Witch is "impossibly" to use if the blade have a hevy mass.

It feel stupid that the blade have lost its mass and they have speed up the fight to inhuman speed. Whats the point? two shining ruber balls in a dark box give the same impression. whay do the belevie faster and more are better, Spoiler ep 3 rumor Yheee a willian with four arms and swords....

Edited by rehnvall

What about Battlestar Galactica, then?  I recall massive amounts of bitching and whining over that, even though the original series' boxset is out and available.

You need some help with your comparisons. Again, the difference is that (as even you point out), the originals are still available.

The only way Galactica would be a similar situation is if they had indeed said "we will never release the original series. From now on, the new mini-series is Battlestar Galactica. Deal with it."

So, again, this really doesn't make your point very well. And, truthfully, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a circumstance similar to what Lucas has done with SW. It's really without precedent. Even Spielberg had the decency to release the original version of E.T. along with the ridiculously PC-ified one.

But really, wasn't your whole point to try to point out hypocrisy among Macross fans by exploring our attitudes towards DYRL? By shifting to Galactica, you're now setting your sites awfully low, aren't you?

H

Edited by Hurin

Finished the rest of the trilogy and didn't notice any encoding problems through them. Was witching back and forth from commentary on a bunch of it, so might have missed some audio glitches, but everything seemed great to me.

The worst part about the Hayden Christensen in place of Sebastian Shaw bit is the execution IMO. The former doesn't exchange eye-contact with Obi-wan like the latter, and he doesn't seem to be looking in the right direction. And his expression is just kinda weird.

But yeah, aside from my instinctive dislike of this switch, I am interested in seeing where RotS actually goes with this...

I am fairly experienced in fencing. The first movies 4-6 they use "real" fencing technique and some movie stuff. Lukes foot work is excellent, look at it after he scream and start to kick Vader.

First sword are not that hevy but it strain your wrist enormous to use a "big" sword in one hand. It is almoust "impossibly" to change track then you started a blow, the center of gravity is high in the blade. That make them dificult to handel but they are not "slow" only dificult to use.

We have meny exampel that the sword have a high center of gravity. The best example is then Vader is throwing his sword at Luke, the sword are spinging around the middel of the blade not the handle.

Then we have the crazy problem two vs one, Dart Maul  would get killd if the two jedis whanted to attack together. Then the blade have lost some mass way are they not shopping of Dart Mauls leg he allways plant is leg in a "strange" way, I have only use a half staff not a full one, but I can not understand way the bloody leg is so expose or look so expose.

But in the last movie the blade have lost its mass. What the point of use the sword as a sword, the blad is a killer if you touch it you dont ned to use strength. Then use it as a rapier, the rapirer have the center of gravity in the handle. You can change direction very fast. Way are not all lightsable like Dookus? Witch is "impossibly" to use if the blade have a hevy mass.

It feel stupid that the blade have lost its mass and they have speed up the fight to inhuman speed. Whats the point? two shining ruber balls in a dark box give the same impression. whay do the belevie faster and more are better, Spoiler ep 3 rumor Yheee a willian with four arms and swords....

Okay, I am veering off course on this topic when I say this, but where did you get such atrocious writing skills? Even with a message at the bottom of your post stating that you have edited it, I can still barely understand what you are trying to say.

As for fencing, yes, it is true that fencing was part of the routine in the way the lightsaber battles were carried out; this much is given during the special Empire of Dreams. But Lucas also wanted there to be a direct Japanese influence involved, which is why you have two different styles of sword fighting. And Japanese swordplay is not the same as fencing. As for Vader throwing his lightsaber and it twirls because it has a high center of gravity, how is that so? The beam is focused energy, and to my knowledge light doesn't have weight to it (I could be wrong on this, because I am not a physicist). It is purported that in order to throw a lightsaber accurately, you have to have some skill in using the Force to a reasonable degree, and Vader has that in spades. (This last statement is given to the fact that the Jedi Knight games use this scenario, and I am taking this to be canon as the games are released by Lucas Arts). As for Darth Maul's style of fighting, Ray Park (the actor who portrays him) is a martial arts expert trained in Wu Shu and other forms of fighting. I think he would know where and how to use his legs when taking up a defensive stance.

My bitchfest has ended. Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Edited by Noriko Takaya

BOBBA IS DEAD!!!! He died in the Sarlac Pit.

... and you forgot to add that it was a blind man that put him there.

I swear the Fett family sucks... why do people love him so much? Here is my running total of everything Boba did in the OT:

- show up

- promise not to disintigrate anyone

- follow the Millenium Falcon to Cloud City

- hang around Vader looking moody

- get whiny about Vader beating up on his trophy

- shoot his rifle a lot and miss every time

- take Solo back to Jabba

- hang around Jabba and look moody

- hit on Jabba's dancers

- make a half-assed attempt to stop the heroes

- get hisself dead at the hands of a blind man

On the bad-ass-o-meter he rates a negative three.

I swear the Fett family sucks... why do people love him so much? Here is my running total of everything Boba did in the OT:

- show up

- hit on Jabba's dancers

I liked Jango... way more badass than the kid.

Perhaps the shock of loosing his "much better than him" dad at a young age turned Boba into a big pile of suck.

... at least his dad managed to actually shoot people and take on a jedi and live for a few more days.

Yes, Jango was way more intimidating than his cloned offspring. He even killed a Jedi if I recall correctly, before he lost his head. How could Boba even live up to his father?

- show up

- hit on Jabba's dancers

Lucas also says that if he had known Boba was going to be more popular he would have had a different death. The main focus was killling Jabba though.... ;)