singer off X-3

eugimon

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040806f.php

X3: "20th Century Fox has terminated its two-year deal with Bryan Singer and his Bad Hat Harry production company -- in the middle of its first year -- in the wake of the director's signing last month with Warner Bros. Pictures to direct a new "Superman" feature. Fox has had discussions with Singer to direct "X-Men 3," a sequel to his two successful "X-Men" films, but it had never nailed down that deal, which wasn't part of his overall Fox pact..." (more info).

I wonder what this means for the cast...

Crap. I looked at Singer with about the same respect as Peter Jackson in the way that they can convey the movie with enough respect so that the original material isn't poo on, unlike that douche that is directing AVP. I really thought he was beginning to hit his stride with X2 and now we'll never know how good he could have made X3. I've never been a big fan of Superman, blue tights, red cape, 50s goody goody values... snore. The only Superman I ever liked was from Kingdom Come. Anyways, I can only hope that the next X3 at least keeps up with X2 and doesn't fall into mediocrity with all action and no character development, which Singer was good at, especially when trying to balance out the big number of lead characters that Xmen had.

Hopefully the new director doesn't ruin it. It would be interesting to see a slightly different take on it though.

I agree, while X-Men 2 was put together well, the story was a litlle to predictable. I hope they don't give us someone that'll disappoint.

I liked Singer's vision of the X-men, but itwill be interesting to see a different take on them. I think the 2 films focused way too much on wolverine. Some of the characters suffered from lack of material/ exposure in the 2 films, but it would have been a tall order to balance the amount of characters that were in both films. If Singer doesn't do X3, will fox be able to convince any of the actors to reprise their roles in the franchise? In the dvd's most of the actors stated that they were willing to do sequels as long as Singer was at the helm. Would Stewart, Jackman, McKellan etc come back for a different director? It seems that Halle Berry wasn't going to do X3. Internet rumors had it that she was disappointed with her characters lack of development/screen time. I wouldn't blame her if she bowed out. I blame Singer and the writers for not giving her much to work with.

Well thats a big suck, kinda like when Singer dropped out of his new take on Galactica, only I new 3 was going to be good based on the flow of the last 2. I wonder if the new director will follow up on the big hint at the end of 2 the way I know Singer would have. I hope they find someone quality and don't just settle for "someone with CG experience".

How about if they hire the director of Hellboy (don't know his name) to direct X3? Opinions?

Guillermo Del Toro was the guys name. he would be a good fit, but only if he is as enthusiastic about X3 as he was about Hellboy. plus, on that project, he had Mike Mignola's help on how to make things look and feel in the pic. as much as it would rock for someone like Chris Claremont to help out, Del Toro still would have to be pumped up about doing it to make it good.

It seems that Halle Berry wasn't going to do X3. Internet rumors had it that she was disappointed with her characters lack of development/screen time. I wouldn't blame her if she bowed out. I blame Singer and the writers for not giving her much to work with.

after seeing what she can do in catwoman, it would be great to see her with more screen time as storm. <_<

i poo on halle and everything she stands for (especially the children)

she's done nothing in x1 or 2 or anyother movie to warrent me giving a fart if she stays on. Infact, i'd preffer if she didn't.

back on topic:

i'm ok with singer leaving, X1 was pretty bad, and X2 was really good. he's 1 for 2 as far as im concerned. we're far from garonteed a great X3 if he stays on. we're just as likely with new people in charge. and why not get a fresh start?

lets just hope Xmen doesn't go the Batman rout.

This is a bad thing for the X-men franchise. I hope to god they get someone good to replace him, because it's fairly obvious that his skill and desire to make a good film won out over the suits' cheap instinct to throw something at the screen and take our dough.

Shoulda offered the guy more cash... great job, Fox!

This is a bad thing for the X-men franchise. I hope to god they get someone good to replace him, because it's fairly obvious that his skill and desire to make a good film won out over the suits' cheap instinct to throw something at the screen and take our dough.

Shoulda offered the guy more cash... great job, Fox!

I'm pretty bummed about this too.. singer had to know he would be let go by fox if he took the superman movie, so I'm thinking fox was pulling some BS with singer so he took the superman gig as an F.U. to fox.

then again, IMO, singer's best work was the usual suspects and he hasn't come close since.

I liked Singer's vision of the X-men, but itwill be interesting to see a different take on them.  I think the 2 films focused way too much on wolverine.  Some of the characters suffered from lack of material/ exposure in the 2 films,  but it would have been a tall order to balance the amount of characters that were in both films.  If Singer doesn't do X3, will fox be able to convince any of the actors to reprise their roles in the franchise?  In the dvd's most of the actors stated that they were willing to do sequels as long as Singer was at the helm.  Would Stewart, Jackman, McKellan etc come back for a different director?  It seems that Halle Berry wasn't going to do X3.  Internet rumors had it that she was disappointed with her characters lack of development/screen time.  I wouldn't blame her if she bowed out.  I blame Singer and the writers for not giving her much to work with.

Aww, that sucks, if Singer's gone does that mean John Ottman's off from editing and scoring as well? I really wanted to hear what Ottman could have done with the Phoenix saga's score :(

While I agreee that movies had too much Wolvie, as far as Halle's 'not enough screen time' debate, I think she's full of herself.....she got a helluva lot more than Cyclops, and he's the supposed LEADER of the team and he's been given the shaft in all but 2 scenes (his miinute talk with Xavier about taking care of the team in X1 and the last few mins of X2)

Brian Singer did a great job bringing the xmen to the big screen, but what's up some of his character adjustments? Storm can't fly (x-1)? Rogue is a 14 year old kid??? As a long time xmen reader I can't really understand those. Of course, the next director has to be at least as good as singer. Since WB stole Singer for Supes, why not steal Chris Nolan for X3? I am mad that singer got the boot from fox, but the Supes project definitely deserved a better director than that McG-- doesn't have a real name loser guy. If they had let him direct Supes he would have driven the last nail in the coffin on the Superman film franchise.

the only way to give Rogue her old powers would be to introduce a Carol Danvers into the movie and have Rogue absorb her powers.

Nah. They could just introduce another incident similar to the Liberty Island thing.

Although I don't think playing the super powered Rogue angle was realistic enough for Singer in the first place. Same for Storm.

storm flew out of the elevator shaft when she faught toad

I don't think that is considered flying, because later on, when they're trying to save Rogue from Magneto, she says she can't fly Scott up to get a better shot. How many times has Storm, in the comic book, picked ups someone and flown them to safety?

Does anybody know if Stephen Sommers is available? I'm sure he'd love to get a crack at a new franchise.

I know you're just kidding but SS just got the Flash Gordon license.... :lol:

I don't know, but isn't he just good for The Mummy sequels. Afterall, Van Helsing turned out mediocre at best.

Does anybody know if Stephen Sommers is available? I'm sure he'd love to get a crack at a new franchise.

I know you're just kidding but SS just got the Flash Gordon license.... :lol:

I don't know, but isn't he just good for The Mummy sequels. Afterall, Van Helsing turned out mediocre at best.

the Mummy and the Mummy returns kicked ass for one reason: Rachel Weisz. damn, thats a beautiful woman.

Not with ya on the Mummy Franchise Isamu, the sequel sucked hard. But Miss Weisz had it going on. You should check out Enemy at the Gates. One of her better films.

When Rogue was 1st introduced in the comic she was about 16 yrs old. So the film was correct in that aspect. They kinda gave her a possibility of having Miss Marvel like abiliites in the 1st film, but they didn't go with it. When Mags transferred his power to her, she gained his abilities. If the writers decided to say that the effect had somehow been permament ala Carol Danvers, Then Rogue could potential fly, and have magentic abilities. She could potentially be super strong assuming the object was metallic in nature. I like that fact that the film Rogue doesn't have all of the comics abilities. She's a little more interesting that way. One of my big gripes with Singers films was that we never get to see the X-men cutting loose as a team. All the fight sequences are one on one. One of the staples of the comics is that the X-men fight as a team. Each complementing the others strengths and weaknesses. After seeing the Hulk, I was further disappointend in that we also never get to see the X-men cut loose with their mutant powers. But I'd guess that would require an astronimical budget to accomplish that.

Not with ya on the Mummy Franchise Isamu, the sequel sucked hard. But Miss Weisz had it going on. You should check out Enemy at the Gates. One of her better films.

i loved Enemy at the Gates and Confidence. she was great in both of them.

X3 would be great, if in going with the cosmic theme, the X-men get to fight the Shi'ar. they could really cut loose against these guys. see X-men 275-77(?) for some awesome battle scenes. i loved the way Jim Lee had Gambit emptying the whole deck into Gladiator's chest. absolutely awesome.

I miss Lee doing the X-men. I've been buying the superman title that he's been drawing, just to see his work. I think for X3 we'll either see the Hellfire club or Brotherhood of Mutants. Either group will probably be used to corrupt jean into the dark phoenix.

When Rogue was 1st introduced in the comic she was about 16 yrs old. So the film was correct in that aspect. They kinda gave her a possibility of having Miss Marvel like abiliites in the 1st film, but they didn't go with it. When Mags transferred his power to her, she gained his abilities. If the writers decided to say that the effect had somehow been permament ala Carol Danvers, Then Rogue could potential fly, and have magentic abilities. She could potentially be super strong assuming the object was metallic in nature. I like that fact that the film Rogue doesn't have all of the comics abilities. She's a little more interesting that way. One of my big gripes with Singers films was that we never get to see the X-men cutting loose as a team. All the fight sequences are one on one. One of the staples of the comics is that the X-men fight as a team. Each complementing the others strengths and weaknesses. After seeing the Hulk, I was further disappointend in that we also never get to see the X-men cut loose with their mutant powers. But I'd guess that would require an astronimical budget to accomplish that.

I feel that the Rogue character was a mix of Jubilee and Rogue herself. (Even though Jubilation Lee comes out in both movies as an extra.) The relationship between Logan and Rogue was very much like that of Wolvie and JL. It's ok, she has the lamest mutant power anyway.