The White of Yamato and Arcadia

QEssential

Just a quick question:

Traditionally I remember that Yamato VF-1 valks have always been an off-white greyish colour but some of their special editions and newer ones are pure white.

Which versions of their valks are white and which ones are off-white grey? And the newer VF-1 valks by Arcadia are also white?

I am asking because I want consistency in my collection. Which ones do you guys prefer?

Yamatos DYRL? Valkyries had a off-white tone whereas the SDF:M Valkyries where pure white as far as I remember. As ChaoticYeti said the Arcadia Valkyries are all white (VF-1S Hikaru/Roy from DYRL and the VF-1J GBP).

Guest davidwhangchoi

Just a quick question:

Traditionally I remember that Yamato VF-1 valks have always been an off-white greyish colour but some of their special editions and newer ones are pure white.

Which versions of their valks are white and which ones are off-white grey? And the newer VF-1 valks by Arcadia are also white?

I am asking because I want consistency in my collection. Which ones do you guys prefer?

Arcadia officially posted they are no longer making off white (a while back in arcadia thread, i posted the quote but too lazy to dig up) and all colors going forward will universally be the bright white.

How about the 30th Anniversary ones?

Arcadia 30th anniversary is a rainbow colored valk not to get mixed with yamato's 30th anniversary valks.

All Yamato, 30th anniversary or not, DYRL valks are off white. TV SDFM series valks are bright white.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

If "consistency" is the major factor......it's a no-brainer......you have to hunt down the Yamato versions (for DYRL types) asap.

First, they are all available on the secondary market at decent prices.....for now. Second, if you want to wait for Arcadia to complete the DYRL Skull Squadron....you might be waiting a looooooooooong time. Third, Arcadia's "bright white" is crap. Fourth, bright white is really only for TV versions. Fifth, so if you want TV versions go with Yamato (as of now, The GBP/VF-1J combo is the only "TV" valkyrie made by them....but you are better off with the Yamato version to avoid the "pinkish" issues with Arcadia's bright white plastic...you can get a good deal on the Yamato GBP-1J in the secondary market right now due to BOTH the Arcadia and Yamato being available in the wilds of the secondary market).

Good Luck!

I prefer the non-pinkish ones...

:bump:

:5:

Ha ha ha!

Was looking at what I have on display last night and I prefer Yamato's DYRL releases personally, even against the Yamato SDF:M versions.

Sold all of my Arcadia VF-1's, except for the 30th Anniversary NASCAR Edition.

-b.

How about yellowing? Personally I prefer the Arcadia bright white but I am just concerned it will yellow more easily compared to the other variants of white.

I believe a trait of this particular white plastic is that it is more resistant to yellowing due to its slight pink tint.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

i just discovered something interesting: the 2010 1j grey goggle stand alone (clear canopy, right) has a different white than 2009 rainbow tint 1j white (left)

IMG_0062_zpsr9t8ahil.jpg

IMG_0061_zpsy5y5wed6.jpg

comparison with max weathering 1a

IMG_0068_zpsvav5kfgc.jpgIMG_0067_zpsanpmveut.jpg

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

unfortunately this was the issue with the 2009 gbp gift sets, yamato threw in the old 1j's with a new grey goggle head, that the darker body didn't match with the newer white grey goggle head. so yamato re-released the armor set in 2010 with a whole new factory fresh body w/ grey google that had consistent white all over included in a new gbp giftset and as a grey goggle stand alone.

the above pictured are both yamato old and new grey goggle versions. the contrast between to the two are interesting.

the one thing to note...

the new body 2010 body has slight pink hues while the other is a bit off whitish that has absolutely no pink hues. so take that as you may about the aging (keep in mind 2009 and 2010 is not too far apart and it's almost 2016) regardless, the older version with rainbow tint will not exhibit pink hues under any lighting.

the new body which was released at the same time as tv roy and several old sdfm tv color valks with new crotch and clear canopy seems to be a different plastic brighter white that has slight pinkish hues but not as sensitive as the assembly kits and later arcadia releases. just something interesting i noticed

was digging through stuff to clean my closet: (i have the entire yamato vf-1 1/60 lineup)

IMG_0047_zpsatrapygs.jpgIMG_0050_zpsfs6sqkhw.jpg

(i have about (4x) vf-1j hikaru's two rainbow two clear canopy) and thought that was interesting to see between versions.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

unfortunately this was the issue with the 2009 gbp gift sets, yamato threw in the old 1j's with a new grey goggle head, that the darker body didn't match with the newer white grey goggle head. so yamato re-released the armor set in 2010 with a whole new factory fresh body w/ grey google that had consistent white all over included in a new gbp giftset and as a grey goggle stand alone.

the above pictured are both yamato old and new grey goggle versions. the contrast between to the two are interesting.

the one thing to note...

the new body 2010 body has slight pink hues while the other is a bit off whitish that has absolutely no pink hues. so take that as you may about the aging (keep in mind 2009 and 2010 is not too far apart and it's almost 2016) regardless, the older version with rainbow tint will not exhibit pink hues under any lighting.

the new body which was released at the same time as tv roy and several old sdfm tv color valks with new crotch and clear canopy seems to be a different plastic brighter white that has slight pinkish hues but not as sensitive as the assembly kits and later arcadia releases. just something interesting i noticed

was digging through stuff to clean my closet: (i have the entire yamato vf-1 1/60 lineup)

IMG_0047_zpsatrapygs.jpgIMG_0050_zpsfs6sqkhw.jpg

(i have about (4x) vf-1j hikaru's two rainbow two clear canopy) and thought that was interesting to see between versions.

I'm super jealous David. I came close but never completed the Vf -1l line.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'm super jealous David. I came close but never completed the Vf -1l line.

Hey Sandman, just out of curiosity, what vf-1's were you missing at the time :) did you sell your collection off?

for the longest time i was missing an angel birds but finally got one a year ago. and kaki dyrl and hikaru 1a, 1s dyrl, were the last to complete the set (i don't like hikaru dyrl, so it took me a long time to finally get them at a cheap price)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

I though i was only missing 3-4 but as i thought about it there were a few more i'm missing.

VF-X

VF-1S Max

VF-1S Focker low viz

VF-1A Angel Birds

VF-1j Max

VF-1J Mirya

Vf-1J CF

VF-1A CF Movie version

VF-1d Virgin Road

yeah those were almost exactly the birds i was missing (minus the vf-x) for a long time.

kinda hard to justify vf-1a mass dyrl. i have max weathered 1s so i'm missing the regular edition...

Very interesting to see the difference between the different 1J releases. I guess the 1S and 1A unassembled kits would have been that more pinkish white, given the release time. Maybe? Maybe not. I've got one of each but never bothered to compare the whites. And the 1S kit is now covered in paint so it'd be tricky to get a good idea of color differences.

As for VF-1s I'm missing - nearly all of them! I had a Super 1A (Hikaru) and then bought a 1J before giving the 1A a new home in Michigan. *I decided to just get Hikaru valks from the TV series. So I kept the 1J and my 1S kit will be Skull 1 as soon as I get it built. Technically it's the 1A kit.

So if there are differences, hopefully they'll be minor enough between the kit version and pre-assembled version.

*Of course that means I still need a VF-1D. Damn you, toy scarcity!

Guest davidwhangchoi

It would be a real treat to one day see your collection of valks unboxed and on display.

Wasn't this a pic of the Yamato TV Roy vs. the Arcadia Roy? I forgot.

one, day i'll try to get the whole collection in a group photo, (boxed of course)

Very interesting to see the difference between the different 1J releases. I guess the 1S and 1A unassembled kits would have been that more pinkish white, given the release time.

eriku, put up photos of his vf-1 assembly kit to confirm the more pink whites somewhere in a thread.

yeah those were almost exactly the birds i was missing (minus the vf-x) for a long time.

kinda hard to justify vf-1a mass dyrl. i have max weathered 1s so i'm missing the regular edition...

To be honest with the exception of the max and mirya 1Js and maybe the low viz focker, i'm ok if i never get these. I didn't consider most of these to be a priority buy when they first came out.

Yeah I transformed my Arcadia 1j yesterday. The pink is really noticeable more so than when I first opened it. Not sure if my minds playing tricks on me but I remember the pink not being that noticeable. Now it's really noticeable.

Its noticeble but only when comparing to another jet. I think its just the kind of white they used on him.