I came into this movie with my only knowledge of the Dune series from part one. I thought the movie was pretty good, though it almost felt too short, like they rushed to get from plot point A to B throughout.

43 minutes ago, Jeff J said:

I came into this movie with my only knowledge of the Dune series from part one. I thought the movie was pretty good, though it almost felt too short, like they rushed to get from plot point A to B throughout.

The first movie is the bulk of the book. The second movie is maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the book and it goes pretty quickly. So, not rushed, it's just how it was written. The main difference being there is a multiple-year time jump in the book that would have had to take place early in the second movie (if not in between movies).

5 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I think I still prefer the Lynch version of the Sandworms, though.  Tri-lobed mouths for the win!

That and Chane's looks in Lynch's were certainly better. 

14 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

+1

Sean Young > Zendaya but that is just based on looks alone, lol. Zendaya is still a good actress and is fine in her role.

Call me crazy (and people often do) but I don't like Zendaya's a great actress or particularly good-looking.

4 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Call me crazy (and people often do) but I don't like Zendaya's a great actress

You're not crazy, you just haven't seen Euphoria or Malcolm & Marie.

9 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Call me crazy (and people often do) but I don't like Zendaya's a great actress or particularly good-looking.

Agreed on the looks. As for the acting she does the job well. 

I've never watched the original.  All I remember of the movie growing up was in illustration class a student chose Dune for his movie poster to recreate and it came out cool.

Just saw Dune chapter 2. It was good and didn't drop a beat from the first film. I could tell they went out of their way to save money without looking cheap. Amazing SFX though. Observation that the theater was packed for a sci-fi film that is more high brow than repeat super hero movies.

47 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Just saw Dune chapter 2. It was good and didn't drop a beat from the first film. I could tell they went out of their way to save money without looking cheap. Amazing SFX though. Observation that the theater was packed for a sci-fi film that is more high brow than repeat super hero movies.

Yeah, I saw it opening day in my preferred seats, but have had trouble getting tickets in those same seats since then. Movie is doing a lot of business.

2 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

Yeah, I saw it opening day in my preferred seats, but have had trouble getting tickets in those same seats since then. Movie is doing a lot of business.

I risked it by not reserving a seat to save money (about $5 IIRC) and was able to find a good single seat at the theater right before showtime but price was still about $15 which is still high imho. This is why I don't take my whole family to see a movie, lol.

Saw the movie yesterday and I think it neatly wrapped up the story if they don’t do any more movies afterwards.

All in all I found the end of the movie not as fulfilling as the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter ones (quality notwithstanding). But it’s been a while since I read the first book. 

Overall, I think the movie could have been a lot weirder and trippier in its aesthetics but maybe I'm too old.

Other than that the movie was pretty stellar. Acting, cinematography, special effects, all top notch. I had some instances where the dialog was not up to par but that could be because it was a dubed version.

What I find interesting that the movie is riding a fine line of the "show not tell" approach. While the first movie might have been too much for the general audience I think they reduced it a bit in the second movie with Irulan narrating events in the movie in an effort to help the audience to understand what is going on.

But it is hard for me to tell since I read to book beforehand and have already a good understanding what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...