Is James Cameron becoming feeble or something? Are the producers holding his family hostage? He doesn't have any ties to this....effort, so he doesn't have to play nice...

I didn't notice that, however they should've CG'd Bill Paxton into the punk he played in the original movie lol...

Is James Cameron becoming feeble or something? Are the producers holding his family hostage? He doesn't have any ties to this....effort, so he doesn't have to play nice...

Maybe it's not really James Cameron, but a Terminator made to look and act like him. :ph34r:

Cameron is a pretty hard guy to please and/or impress, so if he enjoyed this film, seriously how bad can it be?

I didn't really want to see this, now I think I do. B))

It's not a case of whether or not he likes it; it's more about how much Paramount/Skydance paid him to read those cue cards (or replicate his likeness on a body double, whichever theory is correct). :ph34r:

Maybe it's not really James Cameron, but a Terminator made to look and act like him. :ph34r:

Cameron is a pretty hard guy to please and/or impress, so if he enjoyed this film, seriously how bad can it be?

I think A7 is onto something. That's the most sensible thing to have been said in this entire thread...

See: Avatar

This isn't 1980s Cameron anymore. He's gone Lucas.

Did James Cameron just spoil the movie for me? He literally said "it's all about the twists" and described a pretty major one. Is that his game? He wants to ruin the movie for everyone, while acting like he's praising it? Well played, Mr. Cameron, well played.

Did James Cameron just spoil the movie for me? He literally said "it's all about the twists" and described a pretty major one. Is that his game? He wants to ruin the movie for everyone, while acting like he's praising it? Well played, Mr. Cameron, well played.

The marketing already ruined the twist. But they did the same thing with T2, so whatever.

Avatar was a million times worse than Phantom Menace.

When Keith and I agree on something, the discussion is pretty much over. Such agreements should be considered universal truths. Just move on, because anything you say to attempt to disprove it is automatically wrong.

Maybe he's happy that someone finally got around to depicting the time travel device? If memory serves, he wanted to include a scene with it in T2, but had to cut it due to budgetary limits.

Nevertheless, the trailer makes the movie look fun, and I think we all can agree that the writers have taken the series in a new direction (and that's not even taking the major plot twist revealed in trailer into consideration!). Maybe that's what J.C. is happy about? A new interpretation and direction?

The marketing already ruined the twist. But they did the same thing with T2, so whatever.

They did the same thing with Salvation, too. It was kind of amusing watching how carefully they framed the shots to hide the cyborg guy's cyborgosity so they could do a big reveal later, when they already threw it all over every piece of advertising they had.

And hell, T3 was TITLED "Rise of the Machines". ... Is it still a spoiler if you name your movie after the big "surprise" plot twist?

See: Avatar

This isn't 1980s Cameron anymore. He's gone Lucas.

Avatar was far worse than the phantom menace.

I can't believe this is even up for debate.

Yeah, Lawrence of Arabia Avatar was a good film indeed!!

Avatar was a remake of dances with wolves. Not at all the same thing as Laurence of Arabia. LOA was a true story about a British spy who unified the tribes of arab regions to fight other muslim who were were allied with Germany.

Keith, A1, and myself all in agreement? I'd say we've moved into the realm of scientific fact.

Pretty much. I've never seen Avatar, but will take it on faith that it's a terrible movie with consensus like that.

Phantom Menace was still the more DISAPPOINTING film, though.

Edited by JB0

Some people seem to sugar-coat their memories. I'd take a preachy Cameron over the combination of Jake Lloyd, Jar-Jar and Midichlorians any time. If it weren't for the Darth Maul fight, TPM's cringe factor would be off the scale.

Anyway, wasn't this the Tirmynator thread?

If it weren't for the Darth Maul fight, TPM's cringe factor would be off the scale.

And the pod race. Don't forget the pod race.

Anyway, wasn't this the Tirmynator thread?

Right. And James Cameron is Skynet's father, so an analysis of his recent career, relative to other famous directors, is totally on-topic. :p

Ultimately... Avatar is forgettable. Phantom Menace is memorable (our reasons? That's a debate for another topic).

'nuf said.

Back to the topic - the helicopter dive bomb in the trailer took me by surprise. Hopefully they'll have more unexpected, imaginative things like that in this movie - and we haven't been shown all the best parts in the trailer!

Phantom Menace was still the more DISAPPOINTING film, though.

Yes, I had no expectations for Avatar, but expected the 4th (produced) SW film to be as awesome as Jesus and Superman shining my shoes. I was disappointed.