MW outages

Well after three days of no issues I just experienced another outage. Same behavior as before, it didn't seem to last nearly as long as previous slowdowns though (that's a subjective impression though).

I honestly am stumped.

Sql logs show no issues other than the one error (that has no resolution I could find). Server loads appears fine.

I did not try changing the DB driver, but that would be the next test. I was hoping the adjustments in load would help.

I reeeeeeally do not want to prune. But we might consider a test.

We could do a backup, prune the hell out of the forums, then live in wild-west land for a couple days knowing anything you posted would probably be lost.

If the outages stopped, we know we are at the limit of the server and software somehow

If the outages continued, we'd restore, lose those couple days of posts, and try something else (what, I have no clue)

If no one has any ideas, this weekend is db driver change. I'll shut down sometime saturday morning and shift things over.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/1625...n-mysql-tables/

http://forums.techarena.in/software-development/1160112.htm

S

Was the default number of posts per topic page changed from 20 to 15 posts? :unsure:

yeah, it was. not sure how that will help (less material to load at once?). I think the 20 post pages were too short as it was, I'd rather have longer pages so new content stays on the last page longer.

Check it out

Excerpts from recent outages

Hurin: 07/22/2009 1:14pm

Just had the outage myself from ~noon to 12:45 pacific. It seems to be almost certainly server-side. And judging by the behavior, it probably has something to do with php or mysql.

I'm making that guess because the problem actually started small and then continued to ramp up until the entire IPB forum was inaccessible (just timed out, wheel spinning).

Edit: Down again at 1:30pm. I also meant to mention that apache remains up and working throughout these outages as the main site (non-forum, so no php or mysql) remains available.

Mr March: 07/31/2009 1:29pm

The forums slowed and then I had an outage. However, there was a difference. The forums tried to load and after about a minute, Firefox came up with a "Connection Timed Out" error. Tried to load the MW forums again about a minute later, same error. That never happened before; before, the browser would just hang indefinitely until I lost patience and closed the window. Now I get errors messages after a minute.

So something may have changed.

Cent: 08/09/2009 02:10pm

About an hour ago, I started to see a similar outage crop up. It went away surprisingly quickly though. About 20 minutes later.

And the server bandwidth log below:

During Hurins time, the server was producing 0 output. Same for Mr. March's outage.

The opposite happened for Cent's-we were spiking.

Going to run some hardware checks tonight (disk checks and such)

Shawn

post-10-1250101613_thumb.jpg

It'll swell again when HLJ starts shipping the DX armored ozma and the next wave of yammies hits.

yeah, where kind of in a dry spot right now. no new shows and no new toys, give it a month or two.

I don't have specific times but the forums and even the main site haven't been available for at least the last 30 minutes. I was getting another IPS error message when going to either the main site or the forum site in Firefox.

The forums have been intermittently broken all day today and all day yesterday between 10 AM Pacific and 6 PM Pacific at least, as that's when I've been trying. It will just hang when I try to enter the forums for a good half hour or hour and then suddenly it will work for a bit and then hang some more.

That one hit me too. Main site was up, even the forum was up but no topics came up and any searches/"updates since last visit" stuff didn't work. I noticed it about 40 minutes before your post, Shawn. And it lasted for what I thought was an hour. However, I noticed it was working only after reloading the page. So it's possible the problem was resolved and I didn't know about it until I refreshed.

• 2 weeks later...

That's weird. 30 secs ago I got a "this website is attempting to ask you for information." "Click here to temporarily allow scripted windows".

I don't think I've ever gotten that from this site. (also, today was the first day in several that I had issues)

No more outages for me but this week I´ve been having a new problem ^_^

Sometimes when I click a thread, a picture or any link it keeps indefinitely searching. I have to cancel and try again two, three, or four times until it works :mellow:

Anyone having the same problem?

I get the forever search issue at least 3-4 times a week whether it be initially getting into the site or checking a thread. Come back later and it's fine though.

No more outages for me but this week I´ve been having a new problem ^_^

Sometimes when I click a thread, a picture or any link it keeps indefinitely searching. I have to cancel and try again two, three, or four times until it works :mellow:

Anyone having the same problem?