Macross Ace

Ganbare

I have a suspicion that it even isn't a MW member.

Gubaba I suggest you make a credit page or a signature at the opening page so that nobody else can claim credit.

Like this.

I think RedWolf has it right. Gubaba, thanks for the work you did and sorry that someone went against your request, but in the case of scanned/edited/posted book pages it's probably more realistic and consistent to add credits as a separate page or unobtrusive signature marking than it then ask the credits be distributed with the content is to expect no one else to want to copy and post it in turn. Especially when it's good work. :)

VF5SS:

I did it. Sorry. I didn't see the warning.

Well - thank you for stepping forward and clearing it up. At least that puts a stop to the mystery/suspence angle.

Not that I condone posting stuff on other boards without permission ( or attribution, I guess ), but what difference does it make?

I mean, you do the scanlations so that we all can enjoy them, what does it matter if some some idiot posted them elsewhere? It is not exactly that there was a copyright problem which we havenĀ“t ignored in the first place...

All true - but:

I think it must be a bit hurtful to Gubaba who has taken time and has used his knowledge of Japanese and English to do something for all of us, for free and wanted it to be limited to the internet based community that he takes part in - to be a kind of "special treat" of Macross World if you will.

It's just a matter of common courtesy when someone does something nice for people, he would like them to be polite and respectful of his wishes - and it's an understandable wish.

In any event - I hope Gubaba doesn't feel too bad, and I hope people don't hold a grudge against VF5SS - he came forward, came clean and apologized.

Gubaba: you are just going to have to accept that bad things like this will happen from time to time and be content that all of us really do appreciate your work.

People have suggested various remedies, as did I privately. I'm sure there's some thing we can all come up with to honor Gubaba's desire to keep these a Macrossworld exclussive - a kind of emblem of our community, and very particularly of one of its' most active and precious members.

Pete

Gubaba: you are just going to have to accept that bad things like this will happen from time to time and be content that all of us really do appreciate your work.

People have suggested various remedies, as did I privately. I'm sure there's some thing we can all come up with to honor Gubaba's desire to keep these a Macrossworld exclussive - a kind of emblem of our community, and very particularly of one of its' most active and precious members.

Pete

What he said. :)

I have a suspicion that it even isn't a MW member.

I don't think non-members can access the attachments...certainly, I can't access them if I'm not logged in.

Gubaba I suggest you make a credit page or a signature at the opening page so that nobody else can claim credit.

Due credit isn't the issue. I don't really care if anyone knows I made the translation or not. If someone else wants to say that they did it, fine...it's got mistakes in it, so they can take the blame for those. The point is that Macross Ace is a new publishing venture, and (like Macross Chronicle), I want it to succeed.

So the Macross F Outside Story was kind of a test...if I posted it with a warning and it DIDN'T show up elsewhere, then I would know that I could proceed with Macross the First with some degree of safety.

Now I'm sure that once the collected volume comes out, scans of MacFirst will be all over the internet, but for now, it isn't. NOTHING from Macross Ace is, just like nothing from Chronicle is. A page here and there is fine...people will see it and may be moved to buy the magazine. But since Macross the First really is the primary draw of the mag, giving it all away too soon could be disastrous.

My problem is that I really WANT to scanlate it, and I'm not sure when the right time would be. Macross Chronicle? Fine...the translations are of minimal use without the magazine, and it's a finite series. We wait until all the issues are out of stock, and THEN post the yummy, yummy pics.

The comics in Macross Ace, on the other hand, will likely be in print in book form for years or decades to come. I'm working on subs for the remastered SDFM DVD set, but that's been out for over a year now...it's first sales cycle has come and gone. So do I wait until MacFirst Volume One has been out for a year? I don't know.

I really want to translate it, and I really want to share it with MW members...since everyone here I've interacted with has been...enthusiastic about Macross, if nothing else (no one can deny that even the completely irrational a**holes here are enthusiastic, right?). But I don't want to share even part of the blame for Macross Ace's potential failure.

It's the nature of the internet, I know...but still, although I'm hardly the goose laying golden eggs, I am providing stuff that Macross fans want. I don't care if the information from Chronicle gets disseminated around (in fact, I'd like it to), but if we're talking about scanlations of comics, well, that's different story, and I need to know that I can trust EVERYONE here.

Otherwise...I don't know. Maybe I'll start some kind of one-on-one thing where you have to ask me directly for the zip file, so I can keep better track of who gets it and who doesn't.

EDIT: Let me stress that EVERYONE I've interacted with here has been a solid, upright individual. Even complete berks like m***** and j***********. So I'm not blaming anyone except the one guy who took it over to 4chan, and I'm ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE he's no one who actually posts.

Edited by Gubaba

I can only speak for myself, but since I donĀ“t speak Japanese, I would in any case depend on translations. Hence, in the normal run of things, I would not be a viable costumer for buying Macross Ace in the first place. I suspect the vast mayority of people here are in the same situation as I.

However, I can fully understand your point. I am just saying that there probably isnĀ“t a really huge part of the audience who is in need of the scanlations, who would in the normal run of things buy the product. I could be totally wrong about this, of course, this is just my ( maybe very uninformed ) opinion.

Edited by magnuskn

I can only speak for myself, but since I donĀ“t speak Japanese, I would in any case depend on translations. Hence, in the normal run of things, I would not be a viable costumer for buying Macross Ace in the first place. I suspect the vast mayority of people here are in the same situation as I.

However, I can fully understand your point. I am just saying that there probably isnĀ“t a really huge part of the audience who is in need of the scanlations, who would in the normal run of things buy the product. I could be totally wrong about this, of course, this is just my ( maybe very uninformed ) opinion.

Believe me, I've thought of that. And that's why I'm not as worried with Macross Chronicle, which is intensely heavy of the text, and thus has a more limited audience among non-Japanese speakers.

But comics...well, maybe it's just because I'm an old-school fan, but I bought comics even before I knew any Japanese at all, just like I would rent raws from the Japanese video stores in Little Tokyo...but that was because I had no other choice; in the '80s and early '90s, there was nothing else.

English-speaking fans today might not expend the effort to buy and look through a comic they can't understand. But I'm guessing that at least a few will...certainly, Macross Ace sold out at the Kinokuniya in L.A. If they get more copies, those will probably sell, too...as long as the material isn't available as a nice little easy-to-find rapidshare.

I may be worrying about this too much... :wacko:

Okay, here it is again...the dialogue is still ineptly scanned in, but I did take the time today to fix the glaring error in the translation (and "punch up" Luca's speech a little more...). So yeah, this is Version 2, and better than the one that I posted before.

Again:

THIS WARN YOU!

This document is for Macrossworld use only! Please don't repost it at Danbooru, 4chan, or anywhere else. I've scanned all of issue one of Macross Ace, and scanlations are in the works, but I want them to be here AND NOWHERE ELSE. Thank you, and enjoy.

Gubaba, thanks for posting that scanlation. I understand your frustration with this dilemma, but once you post something to the Internet it becomes ā€œpublicā€ information and will spread as much as people are interested in it. You can ask everyone in this thread to solemnly swear that they will not distribute your scanlations, but all an outsider needs to do is create a throw-away MW account, download your scanlation, and post it on RapidShare et al. Even if you privately e-mailed it to a few individuals, all it takes is just one person to forward it to a buddy and itā€™s out there. The only way to keep your scanlations off the Internet is to not upload it to the Internet. Period.

I really want to translate it, and I really want to share it with MW members...since everyone here I've interacted with has been...enthusiastic about Macross, if nothing else (no one can deny that even the completely irrational a**holes here are enthusiastic, right?). But I don't want to share even part of the blame for Macross Ace's potential failure.

The arcade ROM scene set forth a couple of guidelines that may be applicable here. When it comes to new arcade games, they would only release public dumps 2-3 years after its release date. That way the games had time to sell through the primary and secondary markets. Their guidelines may seem restrictive, but if youā€™re worried about reducing Macross Ace sales with your scanlations, then those guidelines make sense (at least to me). Youā€™re just going to have to ignore the cries of fanboy entitlement and be content with the knowledge that you know whatā€™s being said in Macross Ace and that a full scanlation will become public in the future.

Gubaba, thanks for posting that scanlation. I understand your frustration with this dilemma, but once you post something to the Internet it becomes ā€œpublicā€ information and will spread as much as people are interested in it. You can ask everyone in this thread to solemnly swear that they will not distribute your scanlations, but all an outsider needs to do is create a throw-away MW account, download your scanlation, and post it on RapidShare et al. Even if you privately e-mailed it to a few individuals, all it takes is just one person to forward it to a buddy and itā€™s out there. The only way to keep your scanlations off the Internet is to not upload it to the Internet. Period.

True, true. At any rate, it turns out this this was a false alarm. Trust has been restored, at least for the time being. I'm working with a couple of MW members on Macross the First, and we've pretty much agreed to hang on to it for a while before we decide to share it. We're pretty much guaranteed not to get the bragging rights for being the first one out there, but that's okay by me.

Again, I'm sure all of this will become moot as soon as the first book collection of Macross the First hits Japanese bookstores. If I can keep the lid on the translation until then, I think that's probably the best I can hope for.

I like Macrossworld, and just as many of the members (you included) have given me an awful lot, I really enjoy giving back. If that means that 4chan has to get their hands on it, too...well, I guess I just have to get used to that. But not yet. ^_^

True, true. At any rate, it turns out this this was a false alarm. Trust has been restored, at least for the time being. I'm working with a couple of MW members on Macross the First, and we've pretty much agreed to hang on to it for a while before we decide to share it. We're pretty much guaranteed not to get the bragging rights for being the first one out there, but that's okay by me.

Bravo, Gubaba. Bravo. I'm glad you guys are mature enough to realize that there's no prize for being the first ones to release a scanlation. While it may not seem readily apparent to some, but by waiting you guys are doing the Macross scene a favor. And since you guys are in no rush, I know your translations will be the best ones out there. :)

The arcade ROM scene set forth a couple of guidelines that may be applicable here. When it comes to new arcade games, they would only release public dumps 2-3 years after its release date. That way the games had time to sell through the primary and secondary markets. Their guidelines may seem restrictive, but if youā€™re worried about reducing Macross Ace sales with your scanlations, then those guidelines make sense (at least to me). Youā€™re just going to have to ignore the cries of fanboy entitlement and be content with the knowledge that you know whatā€™s being said in Macross Ace and that a full scanlation will become public in the future.

This is probably for the best Gubaba. If you don't want your scans posted on 4chan or any other place, don't post it until it goes out of print. I'm sure other members here will repost your scans on other places and not admit to it when you release it here.

Gubaba, as usual, your hard work is very much appreciated.

I have two points to add:

1) Scans of entire Macross Chronicle issues (albeit not particularly high-res ones) were in fact being uploaded onto Macrosshare sporadically by someone until recently (I think they did at least 10 issues). It was not on the site properly, I saw the links either in the forums or in the shoutbox, I can't remember. However, if you look now there are no trace of them, rather, there is a new thread in the forums asking if anyone has any scans. Odd, since I SWEAR they were there... perhaps a similar problem befell the guys over there?

2) Why not save yourself a lot of work and just type up the dialogue as a text file, rather than doing a "scanlation" format? That's how I got through "Macross 7 Trash" in the 90s: I printed out Matt Alt's translated txt files and filed them in a folder, and read them as I went through the manga books. It's a real low-tech thing, I know, but it's kind of fun that way, you learn a little (since all the manga in MacAce has furigana) and, of course, you have to buy the actual magazine. Anyway, just a suggestion. Although, I can imagine that some bright spark with the book might just scan it and add your translated text, put it online and we'll all end up back to where we started again. <_<

Glad it worked out alright now. While there is always a risk scans can end up on public spaces I'm very happy some MW members like Gubaba actually take the effort to make translations. With the way things are with HG its not that likely that we will see any official translations any time soon. I am starting to understand the spoken language slowly but reading it is a whole other ballgame.

Waiting for translations is no problem at all. Certainly when to protect the publishers in fact its the sensible thing to do as a fan, wish more people actually cared that much. Much like MW its self, it never ceases to amaze me how much effort people behind are prepared to put in to share the hobby with other enthausiasts. Abusing trust can so easily lead to people getting cynical and stop contributing. For what its worth thanks for those who make this all work.

This is probably for the best Gubaba. If you don't want your scans posted on 4chan or any other place, don't post it until it goes out of print. I'm sure other members here will repost your scans on other places and not admit to it when you release it here.

True. I think I'll keep it private for quite a while...We'll see.

Gubaba, as usual, your hard work is very much appreciated.

I have two points to add:

1) Scans of entire Macross Chronicle issues (albeit not particularly high-res ones) were in fact being uploaded onto Macrosshare sporadically by someone until recently (I think they did at least 10 issues). It was not on the site properly, I saw the links either in the forums or in the shoutbox, I can't remember. However, if you look now there are no trace of them, rather, there is a new thread in the forums asking if anyone has any scans. Odd, since I SWEAR they were there... perhaps a similar problem befell the guys over there?

Wow, I missed that entirely. I wonder what the story is, since pretty much everyone I've talked to who's buying it has agreed not to share scans...

2) Why not save yourself a lot of work and just type up the dialogue as a text file, rather than doing a "scanlation" format? That's how I got through "Macross 7 Trash" in the 90s: I printed out Matt Alt's translated txt files and filed them in a folder, and read them as I went through the manga books. It's a real low-tech thing, I know, but it's kind of fun that way, you learn a little (since all the manga in MacAce has furigana) and, of course, you have to buy the actual magazine. Anyway, just a suggestion. Although, I can imagine that some bright spark with the book might just scan it and add your translated text, put it online and we'll all end up back to where we started again. <_<

Yeah, there's always that...treat it like drama album or something. But, as you say, it just makes it easier for someone to make their own version. Anyway, both Jasonc and VFTF1 are lined up as my Photoshop whizzes, and I don't want to fire them. ^_^

Anyway, here's a freebie for everyone as thanks for enduring my "Hamlet Moment." :D

Think of it as a warning to MisaForsaken as to what will happen if he doesn't kick Klan to the curb...

Yeah, there's always that...treat it like drama album or something. But, as you say, it just makes it easier for someone to make their own version. Anyway, both Jasonc and VFTF1 are lined up as my Photoshop whizzes, and I don't want to fire them. ^_^

Nods, but at a certain point, it becomes "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

At the very least, with a script (only) more people are more likely to be inclined to search out and buy the original than a scanlation would ever do.

Err I don't have my copy at hand now but I seem to remember that the punchline is a little different.

Crap. I was looking at my scan, and I thought the 恔 was a 恓.

Remind me to stop trying to do these things fast.

Here we go:

post-939-1234842841_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gubaba

Shush, you, you... moderator type you! ^_^ I donĀ“t want to wait several years for the scanlations, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at this one. :lol:

Thanks, Gubaba! :)

Yeah - actually until the very end I was thinking: "That Simpsons episode about Japan was true!"

Because - here we have a "comedy" "light" "humorous" "throw away" episode of Macross Frontier and...one main character gets killed...then another main character gets killed...

and I'm like...am I supposed to be laughing now? :o

Ozma's...dead! Luca's...dead! Ha ha! They died!! A bunch of deaf Zendradi killed them! ha ha ha! :o ??

It was morbid :)

But - thankfully the ending does clear things up :)

Still working away on this baby, and it's looking good. When the time comes, guys, it'll be worth the wait to have scanlation. Gubab, if the route of just using a text file is taken, I won't be offended or upset. While I do want to help on this for the good of all the great people on this board and for myself, if it came down to you not being comfortable releasing it, I'd have no problem with that. It's your scans, your translations. I'm just helping put it together.

As it stands now, it does seem like it'll be available when more time passes. It's basically the principle that we all want Macross Ace to do very well, which it has. Every sale counts, and if we prevent any sales of it by releasing the meat and potatoes of the book, we are doing more damage to the franchise than good. Anyways, it's great that so far, everyone understands. For those that have no plans to buy this book just out of not being able to understand Japanese, heck, it's still a great book to have just for the pics alone. Lots of cool eye candy. :)

Well, the scanlation is coming along fine...here's a sample page. I did the translation, which reflects the intention of the original creators, and VFTF1 did the awesome photoshop work to fit the text in and create new English sound effects. We welcome your feedback! :D

I see we are catering to a certain "Tech" crowd there... :lol:

Well, the scanlation is coming along fine...here's a sample page. I did the translation, which reflects the intention of the original creators, and VFTF1 did the awesome photoshop work to fit the text in and create new English sound effects.

We welcome your feedback! :D

It made laugh

:rolleyes:

Well, the scanlation is coming along fine...here's a sample page. I did the translation, which reflects the intention of the original creators, and VFTF1 did the awesome photoshop work to fit the text in and create new English sound effects.

post-939-1235105645_thumb.jpeg

:mellow:

Alright you need proofreaders and Quality checkers.

post-939-1235105645_thumb.jpeg

Indeed. I felt the spirit and intent of the creators flow through those translations. it's as if god was speaking through Gubaba! :D