Macross Ace

Ganbare

I mean that they would do stories that feel a little weightier than what's on offer here. And I meant the idea of an anthology that expands the universe than one that creates mininon-canonical parodies with no weight.

You sound like you think it's too late for them to do that. They might still...certainly there are a number of comics in Gundam Ace that really added something to the Gundam universe(s). And as Macross Ace seems to be patterned after Gundam Ace, we'll probably see that here as well.

The big difference, I think, is that the original Gundam has always been the most popular Gundam series, so the magazine tends to focus on it more. With Macross, Frontier seems to be the one that everyone's crazy about, so it's not surprising that there's a lot of Frontier material in the first issue. If it sells well, they'll get more daring.

But...let's face it, it's comic magazine. It will never be as authoritative as the animated stories. Which is fine by me...the last thing I want is something like the Star Wars Expanded Universe or like the Robotech comics. I don't want to see comics that try to fill in every nook and cranny of the series ("How did Hikaru's father die? Well, yes, it was during an aerobatics stunt, but what you DIDN'T know is that a lone Vajra scout suddenly folded to earth and killed him, and then folding out before anyone saw it happen!" "What was Kamjin doing right before he folded to meet with Britai...funny story, he'd been exploring the Varauta system and ALMOST WOKE UP THE PROTODEVILN!"). Macross continuity is already a minefield of problems...I'd rather they didn't mess it up further.

I'm not too sure about that... I mean, sure, Frontier is popular now, because the series was just released and the movie is coming. But the same thing can be said about the situation between Gundam and Gundam 00-- Gundam 00 is more popular because it is more recent. The diehard fans will still support the original, and many of the fans of the current series will move onto other things, with maybe a few becoming diehards.

I kind of hope Macross the First doesn't get rushed...I want it to take its time telling the story. I also think it's interesting that the whole story seems to be Minmay's flashback (and then Global has a flashback-within-a-flashback...oooh! Avant garde!)

Yea, I hope Macross The First doesn't get in a hurry either and stays at consistently high quality. I thought that was pretty interesting that it appears Mikimoto started at where I assume Macross the First will probably end.

Besides, Mikimoto doing the official Macross TV adaptation is one of my dreams fulfilled and the best thing that could happen to the Macross franchise.

A question for those of you who own the comic: is Mikimoto also writing Macross The First or is there another writer?

I feel the same way about Mokimoto doing the Macross adaption, it doesn't get any cooler than that for me. I assume that Mikimoto is writing Macross the First but since I can't translate any of it I am just having to guess.

I wonder if Macross the First will be two chapters and eighty pages in every issue of Macross Ace or not ?

Yea, I hope Macross The First doesn't get in a hurry either and stays at consistently high quality. I thought that was pretty interesting that it appears Mikimoto started at where I assume Macross the First will probably end.

I feel the same way about Mokimoto doing the Macross adaption, it doesn't get any cooler than that for me. I assume that Mikimoto is writing Macross the First but since I can't translate any of it I am just having to guess.

I wonder if Macross the First will be two chapters and eighty pages in every issue of Macross Ace or not ?

Sory for sounding like a broken record, but I think they're doing the same thing they did with Gundam the Origin. Gundam Ace debuted as a quarterly magazine, and it had two chapters of Gundam the Origin every issue. Then it went bimonthly...still two chapters per issue. Finally, it went monthly, and they reduced it to one chapter each issue.

So yes, if Macross Ace never goes monthly, we'll get two chapters per issue.

And also...yes, Mikimoto's writing the comic himself, but a lot of the dialogue and narration is taken verbatim from the script of the TV series.

Incidentally, I just finished scanning the first chapter of Macross the First. If there are any photoshop whizzes out there who want to scanlate it with me, let me know.

Again, I won't be getting to it real soon, but maybe in a few weeks.

I wonder what on-line stores will carry these? As far as I could tell HMV doesn't have them listed. I don't really live near any Japanese bookstores. Is ebay my only option? I'd like to at least get them for cover price +shipping.

What is the likelihood that these would translated into English at some point in the future? I would like to hope that it will some day, but I'm also impatient and simply want it now for the art. Perhaps my fellow MWers will translate? :unsure:

I wonder what on-line stores will carry these? As far as I could tell HMV doesn't have them listed. I don't really live near any Japanese bookstores. Is ebay my only option? I'd like to at least get them for cover price +shipping.

What is the likelihood that these would translated into English at some point in the future? I would like to hope that it will some day, but I'm also impatient and simply want it now for the art. Perhaps my fellow MWers will translate? :unsure:

Go back a couple of pages. :)

To repeat: I've been working with the the subs for SDFM, and a good chunk of the dialogue and narration is exactly the same as in the comic, I don't think it would be *too* difficult to work out a translation.

But I'm a novice with Photoshop-type stuff, so to create a scanlation, I'd need someone who knew what they were doing to help out.

Go back a couple of pages. :)

To repeat: I've been working with the the subs for SDFM, and a good chunk of the dialogue and narration is exactly the same as in the comic, I don't think it would be *too* difficult to work out a translation.

But I'm a novice with Photoshop-type stuff, so to create a scanlation, I'd need someone who knew what they were doing to help out.

I did a little amateur scanlating 2 years ago. I had a translator and did the rest.

Proofreading, cleaning, layering, typesetting, editing then I send it back to check if I got the right words in the right bubbles.

Then if I did it again I edit it.

A life saver in work is layers. I already clean the Raw before I got the script. I just create a new layer to place the words.

For real crappy raws what I do is use multiple layers to make it sharper.

Here's a Fontpack which scanlators usually use.

http://rapidshare.com/files/191755669/fontpack.rar.html

new pic! :)

P36%20.jpg

bye, a hug!

Is...that supposed to be a re-imaging of episode 1, when Hikaru and Roy are drinking CORA!! CORRA! (sorry, I love that part from later in the series), and Roy starts eyeing Minmey??

If so - I appreciate the sex bomb Minmey - but why would she dress like that for the opening ceremony of the Macross? Or was she going to be singing that day? Will they have her already be a singer?? I prefered her in her knee high dress actually...

Or am I mixing up scenes :)

And can we get a bigger picture AND a hug? :)

Thanks!

Pete

I did a little amateur scanlating 2 years ago. I had a translator and did the rest.

Proofreading, cleaning, layering, typesetting, editing then I send it back to check if I got the right words in the right bubbles.

Then if I did it again I edit it.

A life saver in work is layers. I already clean the Raw before I got the script. I just create a new layer to place the words.

For real crappy raws what I do is use multiple layers to make it sharper.

Here's a Fontpack which scanlators usually use.

http://rapidshare.com/files/191755669/fontpack.rar.html

Thanks! And PM me if you want to help out.

As I said, it's not an immediate priority for me, but sometime soon...

Is...that supposed to be a re-imaging of episode 1, when Hikaru and Roy are drinking CORA!! CORRA! (sorry, I love that part from later in the series), and Roy starts eyeing Minmey??

If so - I appreciate the sex bomb Minmey - but why would she dress like that for the opening ceremony of the Macross? Or was she going to be singing that day? Will they have her already be a singer?? I prefered her in her knee high dress actually...

Or am I mixing up scenes :)

And can we get a bigger picture AND a hug? :)

Thanks!

Pete

Minmay's doing some modeling work at the Launch Ceremony. Yot-chan has either been left at home, or simply doesn't exist in this version...which is a good thing, since some rather degenerate photographers get an eyeful when a gust of wind blows past...

While I do agree about the ads (being too many),

To those grumbling about this: you guys do realize that the ads pay for the magazine, right? Without those ads, either the magazine wouldn't exist, or the price tag would be considerably higher.

Also, isn't it cool that the ads are ONLY about Macross stuff? That alone is mind numbing for me.

PS: there's a small image of a VF-9 flying over the girl from 7th Code in the images of the prizes near the beginning of the magazine.

Don't be so sure...Misa looks pretty good too, don't you think?

OH. MY. GOD!

That looks SO like my girlfriend it's not even funny! The hair, the clothes and the constantly pissed-off-at-Pete face:) This is so totally her!

258aquc.jpg

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

This magazine risks making me go from a Misa lover to a Minmey lover ...

sorry Misa - but I'm dumping you for a newer animation model!

Pete

Don't give up on Misa you know you'll regret it when Minmey decides to quit paying attention to you. Just hang in there you can do it. :lol:

Don't be so sure...Misa looks pretty good too, don't you think?

post-939-1233433732_thumb.jpg

That comic right there was pretty funny Misa knocked the crap out of Hikaru. :lol: Ah true love.

OH. MY. GOD!

That looks SO like my girlfriend it's not even funny! The hair, the clothes and the constantly pissed-off-at-Pete face:) This is so totally her!

258aquc.jpg

Pete

You haven't been knocked out yet like hikaru was in that comic were you?

You haven't been knocked out yet like hikaru was in that comic were you?

Try having my girlfriend open drawers full of Transformers toys and THROW them at me - hundreds of them - many of them BIG (like Superlink Skorponok or Cybertron Supreme Starscream) aaaaalll because she had a premonition that I had invited a bunch of protistitutes to the apartment so she rushed back early from her two day trip somewhere to "catch me in the act" and decided that - even though there were no prostitutes in the apartment when she came barging in at 5 in the morning, there was some empty beer and I didn't throw last night's box of pizza away - so crash! bang!

Trust me - my girlfriend is Misa...on crack!

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Try having my girlfriend open drawers full of Transformers toys and THROW them at me - hundreds of them - many of them BIG (like Superlink Skorponok or Cybertron Supreme Starscream) aaaaalll because she had a premonition that I had invited a bunch of protistitutes to the apartment so she rushed back early from her two day trip somewhere to "catch me in the act" and decided that - even though there were no prostitutes in the apartment when she came barging in at 5 in the morning, there was some empty beer and I didn't throw last night's box of pizza away - so crash! bang!

Pete

Err... :unsure:

Moving on, did anyone else find it strange that "Macross F: Secret Visions" (which is a comedic story) has art that's truer to the animation than the official Macross F comic does...?

Pete

Ouch, so you two are Just like Misa and Hikaru to the extreme then. I am glad all of my transformers are in boxes, I have a closet full of boxes of comics I don't think I would survive getting hit in the head with one of the heavy things. :lol:

Err... :unsure:

Moving on, did anyone else find it strange that "Macross F: Secret Visions" (which is a comedic story) has art that's truer to the animation than the official Macross F comic does...?

The Macross F main story didnt' really impress me all that much, but now that I think about it Seceret Visions did seem to look more like the characters were suppose to but there was a whole lot of uh..fansevice in that one.

PS: there's a small image of a VF-9 flying over the girl from 7th Code in the images of the prizes near the beginning of the magazine.

So the joke about the VF-9 with a grand piano control system WASN'T a joke ending? Wow...this is going to be a pretty trippy series.

And BTW, I'm pretty sure it's Macross 7th Chord rather than Code. At least, it fits the theme of the comic better...

:lol: good idea, three movies retelling Macross The First.

Evangelion 1.0 - You Are (Not) Alone >>>> Macross 1.0 - Super Galaxy Love Story jejej :D :D

Hell, you could even do it with Star Wars!

Star Wars 1.0 - These Are (Not) the Droids You're Looking For.

(Sorry, had to throw that one in there.)

I have to wonder though. In a couple of years there would be enough for takubon of Macross First and perhaps the others.

Now that would be a gold mine for a scanlating raw.

Oh, the collected edition will be out sooner than that. I'm guessing it'll be July or August.