The Macross Quarter. DX Chogokin

I'm gonna get flogged for saying this, but I've never liked the Quarter's design...and therefore will pass on this one in favor of the Yamato SDF-1.

I think it really has to do with basically the same priciple that edwin3060 has been hitting on...that its TOO robotic and not "ship-like" enough. In 2009, the SDF-1's transformation sequence was a necessary evil to reconfigure the ship's power grid in order to fire the main cannon. So in essence, the transformable nature of the SDF-1 was because of a design flaw...a really cool-looking one that kicked copious amounts of ass, but a flaw nonetheless. But by the 2040s, transformable battlefortresses are not needed, for all intents and purposes. They can fire their main cannons without the need to change into a mile-long robot...so what tactical purpose does transformation serve, exactly? Aside from just the "cool" factor, that is?

M7 and MF's ships, with their swiveling head-unit bridge towers (why would someone design such a thing in the first place, really?), gunpod-style main cannons, and lightning-quick movements (compared to the SDF-1), they more or less just resemble oversized Valkyries with FPs instead of battlefortresses. In this respect, somewhere along the way, the big ships of Macross have crossed over into the realm of "super-robots" a la Voltron or Power Rangers or any of the non-UC Gundams.

Okay...let my flogging begin. :p

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

I'm gonna get flogged for saying this, but I've never liked the Quarter's design...and therefore will pass on this one in favor of the Yamato SDF-1.

I think it really has to do with basically the same priciple that edwin3060 has been hitting on...that its TOO robotic and not "ship-like" enough. In 2009, the SDF-1's transformation sequence was a necessary evil to reconfigure the ship's power grid in order to fire the main cannon. So in essence, the transformable nature of the SDF-1 was because of a design flaw...a really cool-looking one that kicked copious amounts of ass, but a flaw nonetheless. But by the 2040s, transformable battlefortresses are not needed, for all intents and purposes. They can fire their main cannons without the need to change into a mile-long robot...so what tactical purpose does transformation serve, exactly? Aside from just the "cool" factor, that is?

From watching the anime, in robotic mode Macross Quarter is a lot more manuveurable since it can then position the main engine in any direction like when it moved behind that asteroid.

Also, you can't do a pin point punch and pull your hand back out unless you ram the whole ship in. I guess you could do that but that doesn't look cool at all.

It serves a very practical purpose. anti-ship melee combat. to be honest I always found that the "ship needs to transform to so we can get power to the main gun" explanation was almost unforgivably weak. Did the writers actually think we're gullible enough to believe that the ship just happens to be able to transform perfectly even though it was never intended to, and that it's the only way they can power the ships gun?

the idea of transforming capital ships actually starts to make more sense in the post 2030's time frame. Transformation makes the ships more versatile.

if you think about it, transformation is the only way for battle sections to engage in ship to ship combat. the Main gun is so powerful it's really only for anti-fleet fire and because it has a rather long charge time between shots, it's not going to be too practical at close ranges. At the same time, the smaller guns on the ship are really only good for AA fire. melee and the improved maneuverability of robot mode are the ships only way of fighting at close range.

It serves a very practical purpose. anti-ship melee combat.

That is actually a very poor excuse. Really, the whole Daedalus attack thing, while visually impressive, makes no engineering or military sense at all. But we're watching anime so I don't really mind it ;).

Maybe Macross is unique in that it encompasses both real robot (with the VF) and super robot (with the Macross) genres within Japanese Mecha anime as a whole.

Edited by edwin3060

I personally like that Macross didn't give complex transformation sequences to the capital ships. Even though it just looks like the ship has just tilted up and is now moving on a different axis =P. Its overall form won't change much, transformations really just giving the ship a little more maneuverability than before, and allows it to bring all of its guns to bear on the target, where as before, guns mounted in the rear sections (the legs) were obstructed by the forward sections.

If there was any sort of level of transformation that could change the overall shape... Just think of the hell it would cause for the people inside.

I hope they include some tiny to-scale valks to display on the flight deck, like the Yamato Macross. :)

I think that's very hard to do considering the size of the Macross Quarter. Its about the size of the DX line... as oppose to the Yamato Macross which looks enormous. I would like it though.

I think that's very hard to do considering the size of the Macross Quarter. Its about the size of the DX line... as oppose to the Yamato Macross which looks enormous. I would like it though.

Actually since the Yamato is 1/2000 scale and the Quarter is 1/1700 scale (or therabouts), and considering the VF-25 is slightly bigger than VF-1, mini valks for the Quarter would be larger than the ones with the Yamato Macross and thus easier to produce. :)

Actually since the Yamato is 1/2000 scale and the Quarter is 1/1700 scale (or therabouts), and considering the VF-25 is slightly bigger than VF-1, mini valks for the Quarter would be larger than the ones with the Yamato Macross and thus easier to produce. :)

Also, it's kinda likely the Quarter will include small Valks, since other Bandai carrier toys tend to include (rubber) figures of the vehicles/planes that they carry.

See Xabungle Irongear, for example.

Also, it's kinda likely the Quarter will include small Valks, since other Bandai carrier toys tend to include (rubber) figures of the vehicles/planes that they carry.

See Xabungle Irongear, for example.

That's what I'm talkin' about. I want a Quarter as delicious and decked out as the Iron Gear. Come to think of it, I'll probably display the Quarter next to the Iron Gear. I think their size and gaggle of cannons will complement each other nicely. :)

That's what I'm talkin' about. I want a Quarter as delicious and decked out as the Iron Gear. Come to think of it, I'll probably display the Quarter next to the Iron Gear. I think their size and gaggle of cannons will complement each other nicely. :)

Old school meets new school. I still haven't painted more than one of those little figures that come with Irongear... I hope that if Bandai DOES include mini figs to go with the Quarter that they're pre-painted like Ideons ships rather than unbuilt kits like IronGear :lol:

To be fair, Iron Gear does come with the painted and articulated Xabungles and Walkers along with the gaggle of unpainted guys. For the Quarter I'll take either but I agree painted would be preferrable. Give us one for each main character. Hell, throw in a QR and a Monster, too. :D

The Quarter and Iron Gear should be about the same height. It would be crazy awesome if the Quarter came with little Valks and Detroids like Iron Gear comes with all it's little bots. And yup, I think I would display them together; the Quarter would look way out of scale in my Macross/Robotech diorama. BTW, here's my review of Iron Gear (with images) for reference:

http://loopydetails.com/index.php?/Core-Ar...ear-review.html

The Quarter and Iron Gear should be about the same height. It would be crazy awesome if the Quarter came with little Valks and Detroids like Iron Gear comes with all it's little bots. And yup, I think I would display them together; the Quarter would look way out of scale in my Macross/Robotech diorama. BTW, here's my review of Iron Gear (with images) for reference:

The Iron Gear is an amazing piece of gokin. Bandai really out did themselves. I've been wanting to get my hands on one of those since they came out. Nice review!

I don't mean to stray further off topic, but what is the purpose of that white thing that makes it look like it's wearing a panty on its head? :blink:

I don't mean to stray further off topic, but what is the purpose of that white thing that makes it look like it's wearing a panty on its head? :blink:

It's a head wrap to keep the crew on the bridge warm when it's cold out :lol:

... no, seriously. It is. I guess their heater broke.

Edited by QuinJester

I just assumed it was from an episode where they disguised the Iron Gear while trying to infiltrate an Arabian mob.

Back on topic (kind of, but not really) I heard that in the Frontier movie the Quarter is going to kill and gut some Vajras and then wear their carcasses in an attempt to infiltrate the Vajra base. Maybe we'll get that accessory with the DX toy?

Edited by eriku

• 4 weeks later...
Just giving the old page a Bump!! Has anybody seen or heard any updates on the Mac Quarter?

And to bump it up again, has anybody scans of HobbyJapan May issue showing the unpainted but transformed in cruiser mode Quarter? I was in a magazine stand but didn't buy the whole magazine, there were only a very few pages dedicated to Macross, but the point is, it looked great in cruiser mode to, probably not as "cruiser" as Battle Frontier, because you could "smell" transformation almost everywhere in the toy, but hey, that's how it looked in the anime anyway!

I am really warming up to this new toy, but the wallet is complaining with the wife. (the wife is kept in the dark)

Edited by regult

Next week, Shizuoka hobby show, I guess we'll get more info then. Guys over there in Anime land, anyone going to take a look?

Sounds good, maybe some top secret Mac Quarter pictures will surface!! :p

• 2 weeks later...
Anymore updates??

Seems news on quarter is so dead....

Hopefully soon, I saw some partial pics of in cruiser mode the other day, but you needed to be a member to download the pics. Looked good though!!

The new hobby mags come out in a day or two, so hopefully they will have some new pics.

The Shizuoka Hobby Show seemed to be priomarily a show case for the Bandai's new Frontier model kits.

I'm sure they will show off the Frontier toys at the Tokyo Toy Show in mid-July.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...