What are your guy’s opinions on this situation?

sqidd

This auction is for a VF-1S Weathered and an autographed card by one of the voice actors.

feeBay Link

Item number in case the link doesn't work 110279435042

The price is already getting up to where my cutoff is (well maybe cutoff isn’t the best word for it, who am I kidding? I want one!), the shipping is $60 too. Does that seem high from Japan? He also only has a feedback score of three. It looks like he bought one item and sold two, one of the two sold was another Weathered Roy. I’m usually pretty free wheelin’ when it comes to getting stuff off of eBay and I have never been screwed but for some reason my Spidey Senses are tingling a little bit on this one. Something about the look of the auction is poking at me and I don’t know what it is.

I know it’s expensive, and that is partially why I am a little nervous. But adding a feedback score of 3 and the funny feeling I am getting are making me sway toward passing on this one.

If it were in the States and even as high as $550-600 shipped I would probably go for it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

sqidd

If you want one get one...but I wouldn't get this one.

60 bones for shipping IS expensive even coming from Japan.

And a feedback score of 3...eh...everyone needs a start...but I aint feelin it.

:ph34r:

This auction is for a VF-1S Weathered and an autographed card by one of the voice actors.

feeBay Link

Item number in case the link doesn't work 110279435042

The price is already getting up to where my cutoff is (well maybe cutoff isn’t the best word for it, who am I kidding? I want one!), the shipping is $60 too. Does that seem high from Japan? He also only has a feedback score of three. It looks like he bought one item and sold two, one of the two sold was another Weathered Roy. I’m usually pretty free wheelin’ when it comes to getting stuff off of eBay and I have never been screwed but for some reason my Spidey Senses are tingling a little bit on this one. Something about the look of the auction is poking at me and I don’t know what it is.

I know it’s expensive, and that is partially why I am a little nervous. But adding a feedback score of 3 and the funny feeling I am getting are making me sway toward passing on this one.

If it were in the States and even as high as $550-600 shipped I would probably go for it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

sqidd

What do I think? No offense, but if you've got money to burn on stuff like this and you race sport bikes all summer, then what I think is I'd like to trade lives with you for about a year or so.

Are you interested in a weathered Roy as an investment? Are you a completionist? Or do you just want a weathered Roy? I personally don't even think the weathering job looks that great. So unless you're buying it because you want to own it as a valuable/limited collector's item, I'd suggest using your money to commission a skilled Macross World member to weather a regular Roy valk for you. I'd rather give my money to a skilled artist and recieve a one of a kind custom, than give my money to someone who does nothing except mark-up the price to desperate collectors for a factory-weathered item on an ebay auction. That's my 2 cents.

Edited by Vic Mancini

Is that Save's friend? I remember when these were available at Wonderfest Save had a buddy who sold one on eBay and had like 1 feedback. Maybe this is the same guy.

I wouldn't mind owning one of these either but at the same time I'm thinking of ditching my 1/48s and just being a 1/60 guy going forward. Decisions.... decisions.

I wonder if the autograph is legit. It's easy enough to claim that that's Akira Kamiya's autograph, but without legitimate autograph samples for comparison I wouldn't bite. When it comes to autographs, for me they have to be either done in person, or gotten by family/a trusted friend in person, otherwise I'll have a constant doubt about whether they're legitimate or not.

I get the danger sense tingling on this auction as well sqidd. Personally, even if I had more than enough money to burn, I would avoid this one. Even if the autograph is legit, the low feedback is a killer.

What do I think? No offense, but if you've got money to burn on stuff like this and you race sport bikes all summer, then what I think is I'd like to trade lives with you for about a year or so.

Probably shouldn't post a pic of my wife up here then. :blink: I marvel at least once a day at how lucky I have been through life. I don't take any of it for granted.

Are you interested in a weathered Roy as an investment? Are you a completionist? Or do you just want a weathered Roy? I personally don't even think the weathering job looks that great. So unless you're buying it because you want to own it as a valuable/limited collector's item, I'd suggest using your money to commission a skilled Macross World member to weather a regular Roy valk for you. I'd rather give my money to a skilled artist and recieve a one of a kind custom, than give my money to someone who does nothing except mark-up the price to desperate collectors for a factory-weathered item on an ebay auction. That's my 2 cents.

You hit the nail on the head with you opinion. I could care less about collecting them so some day I can sell them and get rich but I am a completionist at heart. There have been a ton of Yamato 1/48's made and sold and a lot of people are leaving them boxed up so they can cash in on them some day. I don't think they will ever be worth much more if any than what they go for now. Collector items are expensive 20 years later if they are hard to get but I don't think the 1/48's will ever get that hard to find. Too many people are storing them with plans to sell them in the long run. A Transformers Jetfire MISB is worth a ton of money now because when they came out we took them out of the boxes and played with them, etc. We had no clue at 11 years old that some day they may be worth something. So, Jetfires got seperated from their boxes, parts came up missing or broke off, they turned yellow, etc. You won't see that with the Yamatos. There will be plenty of MIB examples out there. It's like the people who are paying $20,000 over retail for the Ford Shelby GT500 right now and sticking them in garages and will be opened up in 20 years and carted off to Barret Jackson thinking they are going to get a half a million dollars for it. They will be ina big surprise when there are 40 just like it at the same auction. They probably won't even fetch what they cost new.

I already have all the 1/48's as well as all the GBP armor, available fastpacks, etc. The only ones I don't have are the credit card Valk (never even seen a pic of one) and the Weathered Roy. With the two new exclusives coming out later this year and the fact that getting my hands on them will be spendy. I have been trying to convince myself that I don't need to be a completionist, but there is always that little voice in my head telling me to get a Weathered Roy and tackle getting the upcoming exclusives when they hit the streets. Every time I manage to convince myself I don't want to/need to be a completionist I catch a glimpse of a Weathered Roy and start craving one. It's like quitting smoking.

The logical side of my brain tells me that I am a fool to pay $600 for a Weathered Roy. And my money would be best spent with someone like jung to weather it up for me. It will look 10 times better than the Yamato version, but it just won't be the "actual" exclusive. Why that gets under my skin I don't know.

Thanks for your accurate and honest advice.

I get the danger sense tingling on this auction as well sqidd. Personally, even if I had more than enough money to burn, I would avoid this one. Even if the autograph is legit, the low feedback is a killer.

I wondered if anyone else was feeling that way. Now I know I am not imagining it. thanks

If you use paypal to pay should't that protect you somewhat from scammers?

I don't think it's as good as we are left to beleive. I have heard some horror storys about getting screwed. Where they real? Did Paypal take care of matters? Did the buyer actualy get scammed?

I have no idea, thats what has me twisting.

I already have all the 1/48's as well as all the GBP armor, available fastpacks, etc. The only ones I don't have are the credit card Valk (never even seen a pic of one)

rareyamato148vf1ka0.jpg

I would say save all your money on the 1/60 line instead. You should also save some money to get the Beagle Ride Armor from mospeada since you like bikes! :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I got mine from Yahoo Japan Auction and Boy do I have to go through a lot of ppl to get it. And the total cost is more then predicted. Before bidding I have to pay for the register on a Yahoo Premium account 1000 Yen, with a Japan credit card and information. After register, Bid the Item for 45,000yen and won it. TT the money to japan an addition 10-15% (I think) bank charges here and there in japan depending. Postage only in japan so have to send to my friends house and postage is on buyer so all and all add up to 50,000+ yen I lost count.

It's very troublesome. And now only to wait for my friend to bring back to me and I have to treat her so might be close to 60,000 yen in the end.

Well, it's obviously worth it to whoever won the auction. The value of something is determined by whoever is willing to buy it, if it's not your cup of tea, thats fine, but I'm sure you own or are interested in something that somebody elese here thinks is a waste of time or money.

Every time I manage to convince myself I don't want to/need to be a completionist I catch a glimpse of a Weathered Roy and start craving one. It's like quitting smoking.

The logical side of my brain tells me that I am a fool to pay $600 for a Weathered Roy. And my money would be best spent with someone like jung to weather it up for me. It will look 10 times better than the Yamato version, but it just won't be the "actual" exclusive. Why that gets under my skin I don't know.

Well, as others have said, what ever makes you happy in life....

Go for it.

Probably shouldn't post a pic of my wife up here then. :blink:

Post it!

(kidding)

No really....post it. ;)

I usually get this also from the wifey..."what ever makes you happy, it's your money".

I just saw the finished auction, $585! Damn!

For that much, you can get a decent Iwata air brush and compressor and paint for less than $300 and make your own weathered valkyrie.

I want to be a completist too, but things come up...AND these retarded limited editions mess up the flow of collecting. I've given up.

I'd say get it and forget about getting 2 or 3 of each valkyrie...sell the extras and cover the price for these special limited ones.

hmm...you're right, but if the seller bought 3 of this with the intention of selling, is because he knew they would most likely go for much more than what he payed for

but, thinking about it, you can't really blame him, but the people who accept to pay this much for it...

hmm...you're right, but if the seller bought 3 of this with the intention of selling, is because he knew they would most likely go for much more than what he payed for

but, thinking about it, you can't really blame him, but the people who accept to pay this much for it...

Like I said, the value of something is determined by whoever is buying it... shrug... the thing is, this is a luxury item, no matter what it sold for, there's always someone who can rightfully say that the money would have been better spent if it were donated to charity or whatever. I think once we've established that we're all selfish pricks for buying toys that cost what some people in some parts of the world make in a year... then we really don't have the moral right to complain that somebody else paid even more for something than we would.

You know how the topic of the thread asks "What are your guy's opinions on this situation?"?

Well that kinda sounds like a chic started the thread and we are all women posting in a female-only macross forum.

We are all part of a secret sistahood talking about macross toys.

"So what does your boyfriend think of you collecting macross toys?"

"Ah he doesn't care! He goes out and buys stupid clothes and hangs out at the mall and stuff and I have my macross collection. He is very understanding"

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well, I didn't get it. $600+ to my door is just too much to justify. And with the low feedback score I wasn't exactly feeling all warm and fuzzy.

Maybe some day they will get down to about $375-400. I would not mind getting one for that much.

Well, I didn't get it. $600+ to my door is just too much to justify. And with the low feedback score I wasn't exactly feeling all warm and fuzzy.

Maybe some day they will get down to about $375-400. I would not mind getting one for that much.

Or you could take the extra Roy you have and have Kurt or Jung do a bad a$$ weathering job for you for cheaper. That's what I would do. But that's me...and if you were me and I were you then I'd be using your body to get to the top of the mountain. :huh:

Or you could take the extra Roy you have and have Kurt or Jung do a bad a$$ weathering job for you for cheaper. That's what I would do. But that's me...and if you were me and I were you then I'd be using your body to get to the top of the mountain. :huh:

I'm in the same boat as Squidd, but I am leaning toward spending that kind of cheddar on a sick custom as well...as soon as Kurt has time. Yamato keeps screwing up the possibility of being a completist with this silly exclusive crap.

:angry:

OO

I'm in the same boat as Squidd, but I am leaning toward spending that kind of cheddar on a sick custom as well...as soon as Kurt has time. Yamato keeps screwing up the possibility of being a completist with this silly exclusive crap.

OO

Eh....it's just easier and cost less to get customs made of the "exclusives" that Yamato is coming out with.

OO

OO

I'm leaning that way too. I just need to brake the completist in me. The problem is that I was so close! It's not like I needed 8 more 1/48's.

Oh well

I do dig the customs though. jung did a YF-19 Fokker Skull One for me and it's ffront and center right here next to my monitor. It's soooooo sweeeeeeet.

I'm sure he would do a much better weathering job on the Roy than Yamato did. And I do have 4 of them. B))

My next custom is to have a 1/60 YF-19 done in 19a colors (light blue and white). That should be cool.

Seriously, Priority flat rate boxes can ship stuff for (and I am not kidding) $4.80. Shipping is a damned rip-off on e-bay. The folks on this site are the only ones I trust to not rake me over the coals with shipping. I also know that shipping form overseas is a bit rough. If you can find someone that can ship from the US bases, you can get the US postal rates. It is awesome!.

For a toy that cost this much, you better be able to take it with you if you die.

A few strokes of paint and a pretty box ain't worth it.

Do I want one? Sure. Do I envy the person who owns one? You bet.

Is Yamato snickering everytime they sell one of these? You bet your a$$.

For a toy that cost this much, you better be able to take it with you if you die.

A few strokes of paint and a pretty box ain't worth it.

Do I want one? Sure. Do I envy the person who owns one? You bet.

Is Yamato snickering everytime they sell one of these? You bet your a$$.

Again... this was an auction, yamato didn't jack the price up to 600 on these things, people bidding on it did. These things retailed for a little more than MSRP on a regular 1/48 vf-1.