Newbie Questions on Macross

Thank you to you all for help and kindness.

anyway for another idea my friend thinks that

"Hey all! (especially zentradi) have ya got any culture or civilization?" (cuz I was born in Galaxy the hi-tech ship and I can sing,I've culture! not like u guys!)

Zentradi "sheryl nooo gxd dxxm"

hahaha just kidding,

luv u all

Actually, I think that maybe Galaxy had very little culture and too much technology.

Also - Ojousama... I must ask - is Ojou the same name as the Zentradi who Kamjin told to fire the ship cannon at the Macross and "by accident" hit the Macross?

Pete

Actually, I think that maybe Galaxy had very little culture and too much technology.

Also - Ojousama... I must ask - is Ojou the same name as the Zentradi who Kamjin told to fire the ship cannon at the Macross and "by accident" hit the Macross?

Pete

The old-timer? No, "ojousama" is another word for "Princess." B))

But the reality is that culture is inside of us. When Breetai and Exodol stare ini amazement at Minmey singing on their screen in DYRL, you can see their chests swelling and a kind of look in their eye like something is growing in them - like plants growing on a farm.

In that scene, Breetai and Exodol are not "creating culture" - but they are "culturing" - there is culture growing in them and thanks to this, they are growing as full human beings.

They're culturing?

No wonder zentradi tend to run screaming from pop shows.

"E. Coli culture will reach maturity in 10... 9... 8..."

"DIBS ON THE RESTROOM!"

"OUT OF MY WAY!"

"IT'S COMING UP!"

"Princess Alto/Alto-mi'lady/Ms. Alto (in a formal tone)".

Well that actually better explains his outrage at the teasing. How many guys would like to be called "Ms" or "Milady", nevermind "Princess"?! :rolleyes:

Well that actually better explains his outrage at the teasing. How many guys would like to be called "Ms" or "Milady", nevermind "Princess"?!

I dunno. We used to call my old boss "The Grandmother." But that was kind of meant to be a reference to the GodFather (his mafia like presence/style) + the fact that rather than looking like Marlon Brando, he looked like one of the Golden Girls :)

Er.. But in Alto's case - if I had Ranka and Sheryl running around me all day and night and the ONLY negative thing I had to tolerate was being called "slave" or "mi'lady"... I wouldn't complain :)

Pete

A question regarding fold navigation : We do know ships need to have precise coordinates before making a fold otherwise the crew members are screwed (a defold in a planet atmosphere for example). So how ships are capable to obtain those precious precise coordinates if they are going in a uncharted region of the galaxy ? :huh:

They can probably scan ahead a couple of light years to determine if a certain location is safe to fold to.

But about those long range fold jumps like 1000 lightyears for example ? I cannot picture how ships are capable of scanning over those long distances.

Don't think we're ever given a reason in the anime. Maybe that's part of the reason why a single fold can only go so far and why multiple folds are needed for most long distances.

At any rate, mapping shouldn't be a problem for the humans post-Space War I. The UN Spacy would have access to the Protoculture galactic maps once the Zentradi defected. After that, fold navigation would be limited only by the technology and limits of their available power. I suppose it's also possible that the Zentradi's maps could be incomplete or out of date. If so, that may be another hurdle they have to overcome.

Assuming the aforementioned problems exist might explain why some of the UN Spacy's colony fleets take decades or more to travel. Say for example the colony fleet folds into a known area on the edge of the unknown. They then have to sit there conducting astronomy/cartography using either simple observation technologies or fold radar technologies like Luca's RVF-25. Once they've mapped out the area, they make another fold to a location they think is the best possible candidate. Rinse and repeat.

Don't think we're ever given a reason in the anime. Maybe that's part of the reason why a single fold can only go so far and why multiple folds are needed for most long distances.

At any rate, mapping shouldn't be a problem for the humans post-Space War I. The UN Spacy would have access to the Protoculture galactic maps once the Zentradi defected. After that, fold navigation would be limited only by the technology and limits of their available power. I suppose it's also possible that the Zentradi's maps could be incomplete or out of date. If so, that may be another hurdle they have to overcome.

Assuming the aforementioned problems exist might explain why some of the UN Spacy's colony fleets take decades or more to travel. Say for example the colony fleet folds into a known area on the edge of the unknown. They then have to sit there conducting astronomy/cartography using either simple observation technologies or fold radar technologies like Luca's RVF-25. Once they've mapped out the area, they make another fold to a location they think is the best possible candidate. Rinse and repeat.

they could also be sending out unmanned scouts to an area before they fold. also helps to prevent folding into a galactic battle. we saw this in ep7; although they sent manned scouts, it would have been easy enough to send robot scouts instead.

They could be using something as simple as telescopes. Just need to calculate where star systems will be from that info. Folds into planetary systems might need physical scouting.

They could be using something as simple as telescopes. Just need to calculate where star systems will be from that info.

Especially since in Macross, things are spread wide enough that you can get a decent stereo view of the galaxy.

2 telescopes in the Sol system doesn't give you a lot of depth perception at interestellar distances.

But throw them on two separate colonies a few light years apart... or even better, on two separate colony fleets headed in different directions...

Edited by JB0

I am really not sure where to pose this question but seeing as no other forum seems right I'll ask here. Is there a place where I can look up the various discography of Yoshiki Fukuyama's work, both Macross related and non-Macross? I am mainly looking to see if I can find a list of all the albums he's done. The only one I know for sure is Fukuyama Fire which is all Fire Bomber songs, but I know he has done more than that. I'm just having a hard time finding information on other stuff he's done (or should I say, hard to find info on other stuff that isn't all in Japanese).

If this doesn't belong here feel free to move it, but I don't know where this would go otherwise.

Well the PC were actively surveying the galaxy during the time of Earth's seeding. It is possible that the Zentradi have comprehensive stellar maps, but I would expect that with a Republic so vast that the maps were not necessarily detailed. So the fleets could navigate into systems but didn't necessarily know if the worlds in the system were inhabited or could sustain any life or not. The maps allowed them to avoid folding into a star or a celestial body.

Thus a survey vessel would be needed to fold in and get detailed scans of the planets. Another thing to keep in mind is that for fleets headed into the galactic core, the more likely the Zentradi maps would be detailed as IIRC the PC originated around the core.

Then there are the fold faults. It has not been determined whether these are stationary, moving or both phenomena. If they move then they would also have to be scanned for when plotting jumps.

So Richard Bilrer wants to build a galatic highway, yes? When does he say that it was "all for minmay"? I read that in another post and I've watched the series twice adn still can't find it. Also, in what series does it say Hikaru is lost in space?

So Richard Bilrer wants to build a galatic highway, yes? When does he say that it was "all for minmay"? I read that in another post and I've watched the series twice adn still can't find it. Also, in what series does it say Hikaru is lost in space?

I can't remember if they actually CONFIRM that. I remember Luca saying something to Leon about suspecting that Bilrer wanted to use the advantageous properties of fold quartz-based fold drives to monopolize interstellar commerce. I know his involvement in that whole cybernetic conspiracy was supposedly to find Minmay and the Megaroad-01.

Well, it's Macross: Flashback 2012's related publications that say that Hikaru was assigned to the SDF-2 Megaroad-01, which was captained by his wife Misa. It's the Megaroad-01 that got missing (with the entire original love triangle aboard).

Well the PC were actively surveying the galaxy during the time of Earth's seeding. It is possible that the Zentradi have comprehensive stellar maps, but I would expect that with a Republic so vast that the maps were not necessarily detailed. So the fleets could navigate into systems but didn't necessarily know if the worlds in the system were inhabited or could sustain any life or not. The maps allowed them to avoid folding into a star or a celestial body.

Thus a survey vessel would be needed to fold in and get detailed scans of the planets. Another thing to keep in mind is that for fleets headed into the galactic core, the more likely the Zentradi maps would be detailed as IIRC the PC originated around the core.

Then there are the fold faults. It has not been determined whether these are stationary, moving or both phenomena. If they move then they would also have to be scanned for when plotting jumps.

I would think that to fight any war effectively, both side would require accurate galactic geography. I agree that even the Protoculture may not have possessed comprehensive galactic maps, but that which they did possess must have been accurate (at least, at the time).

I guess it really depends on the way the fiction works. Generally speaking, the universe is in constant motion and galactic kinematics would require the Protoculture (and especially the Zentradi) to update their maps regularly. Astrometry was never mentioned in the series, but the Milky Way Galaxy moves like any other galaxy and some study of astrometrics would be required by the Zentradi to navigate the galaxy. This is especially true after the 500,000 years for which they've been fighting remnants of the Supervision Army. Otherwise, all their navigation information would be hopelessly out of date and even after a few years, outdated maps would make fold navigation treacherous.

Fold faults are an unknown, but I think we can be assured they are in motion like everything else in the universe :)

I can't remember if they actually CONFIRM that. I remember Luca saying something to Leon about suspecting that Bilrer wanted to use the advantageous properties of fold quartz-based fold drives to monopolize interstellar commerce. I know his involvement in that whole cybernetic conspiracy was supposedly to find Minmay and the Megaroad-01.

Well, it's Macross: Flashback 2012's related publications that say that Hikaru was assigned to the SDF-2 Megaroad-01, which was captained by his wife Misa. It's the Megaroad-01 that got missing (with the entire original love triangle aboard).

Thank you.

Diamond Force is a wing, a squadron or a team?

No source that I'm aware of specifically defines it as any one of the three.

Given its size (never more than 3) and its equipment (VF-17 Nightmares) I would say that it's probably just a special forces team.

Given its size (never more than 3) and its equipment (VF-17 Nightmares) I would say that it's probably just a special forces team.

Ok thanks.

Sorry if there's already similar topic.

I recently finished with listening Fire Bomber's albums and started with first Macross Frontier soundtrack by Yoko Kanno, but there are also few vocalist (Megumi Nakajima, May'n and Maaya Sakamoto) who are credited under different names.

Now, for instance:

Welcome To My FanClub’s Night! (Sheryl On Stage)

Some sites say that May'n is a performer, and some Shery Nome starring May'n.

What are correct tags (Last.fm geek)?

I'll be grateful if someone would provide me with full track list and correct artist for each track.

Sounds like our soundracks came from the same source... That said, everything is attributed to the correct artist. The (Sheryl On Stage) just references the 'concert' effect with the crowds cheering and are taken from the concert scenes in the early episodes as far as I can tell, and should only be on tracks 2-4

Saying Sheryl Nome starring May'n is just a way of crediting the actual artist (May'n) while still attributing the IC song to Sheryl. Ditto for the Ranka Lee/Megumi Nakajima tracks.

The only one by Maaya Sakamoto should be Triangler.

All orchestral music is Yoko Kanno.

Not all that helpful, but everything is correct as is to the best of my knowledge (and short of someone willing to do or provide a literal translation from the OST).

Snowblind, who do you have as an artist for 8th song What 'bout my star? @Formo?

By the way, scan with name of song and artist(s) on japanese, could someone translate it, at least artist(s)?

vtcl6006005.th.jpg

Ranka Lee/Megumi Nakajima, Sheryl Nome starring May'n

It's the full version from ep 15, so they're both singing.

Or if designating it by Western convention a "flight"...