Transformers Super Thread 7

Happened upon a Voyager Prime the other day and contrary to my previous thoughts, said what the hell, and bought it anyways. Overall I'm pretty impressed, though I wish his axe was as accurate as he was. Sadly he can strike as many dynamic poses as his Cybertron version, but still a nice figure. As for the automorph, I'm not quite sure if mine is broken or what. The release lever thing on his back does nothing, pivoting the waste feels more like a slightly stubborn ratchet joint. All in all though, another win for the animated line.

The Wal-Mart that didn't have ANY animated until 10 days ago? They had the new wave of deluxes. Don't know if this is a full case, but they had:

Oilslick x2

Snarl x2

Jazz x1

Soundwave x1

Bought Soundwave, haven't opened up yet. Came VERY close to getting Snarl (had in hand, put back)---still unsure on him. His club has NO paint on it---complete opposite of the prototypes.

I want a new Nightbeat, Siren and Hosehead.

This a command.

isn't there going to be a universe unicron?
Yep, and a Cheetor.
I should have said new toolings. Unicron is an existing tooling, and Hasbro's design team said they kind of had to 'sneak in' the Beast Wars and G2 designs they wanted to do for the 25th Anniversary. They will probably only be able to do Jetstorm and Tankor for Beast Machines if they visit that series.

Too bad. I wanted them to completely redo Beast Machines Silverbolt, his cartoon design was quite cool.

But I think you're confusing the distaste for incoherent alt-modes with a distaste for unrealistic ones.

Example:

Metroplex vs Metroplex.

Both transform into unrealistic vehicles.

One, however, turns into a coherent vehicle(and "city"), while the other turns into a robot leaning over and sticking it's butt in the air(and a taller robot).

To be fair, Cybertron Metroplex is actually sitting down with his knees split in half when in his... excavator mode. :huh:

A quick audit of the '87 Headmasters later...

From my point of view, Hardhead isn't any more "realistic" than Chromedome, Brainstorm, or Highbrow. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that he's more grounded than the rest(if I had to single one out for realism, it would be Chromedome, actually. Not that it says much).

Highbrow's the only one I really mind, and that's mainly due to the weak 'bot mode. He needs legs!

The Decepticon mechanimals aren't that bad, really. Well, Apeface and Snapdragon are pretty weak, but... they're triple-changers. They at least have an excuse.

Chromedome is the one I take issue with, because its really quite hard to make a car look strange as a car, but he's so meched out that he's like a car somebody put giant robot armour upon.

I think Hardhead is more recognisable as some kind of tank or self-propelled howitzer, and thus can be easily redesigned into some Earth vehicle and still keep the same sort of general look.

Soundwave's neat, but differs noticeably paint-wise from the proto:

Wheels are mainly blue with a green accent, not all-gold.

A few green stripes missing, noticeably on the crotch and lower legs in robot mode.

Headlights etc missing in SUV mode.

Paint apps are overall fuzzy--poor masking. Visor is very poorly painted--I may repaint it entirely. (It's that gooey almost-red pink paint they sometimes use) He's overall more "plain" than we saw.

PS--despite a lot of ball joints on him, he can't really do any sort of useful "falconry" poses with Lazerbeak---the one place lacking a ball joint is the shoulder, and his own parts get in the way--he has a very large projection by his elbow that blocks most attempts to hold Lazerbeak level.

PPS--I'm definitely painting some gold on Lazerbeak. And maybe his wheels.

So I found a good-looking Classic Prowl, and snagged that along with Sunstreaker.

Shoulda skipped Sunstreaker.

I was so worried about making sure I had a good-looking Prowl that I didn't give Sunstreaker a good lookove.

Mine's misassembled. And not in a repairable way. I have the same fist on the left and right side.

Ditto for the "glass" mounted in the door(driver-side glass is right, passenger-side glass is driver-side glass that was forced into position). Had I given him a proper inspection, I probably would've noticed the window wasn't right.

Guess I better find the reciept.

I hope quality control goes up in the near future.

Henkei Stuntron Wildrider Exclusive = BotCon Dark Rodimus ....

Wow. Another supposedly "exclusive" item to BotCon that has now made it's way into the mass markets ... well, sorta.

Many TFs fans will be pissed.

Guest sh002

both look cool. i like the red face on wildrider. too bad the alternity line is not in scale with binaltech/alternators. i would have ordered them. too bad the movie designs don't look like the alternity design. i would watch that on screen.

i'm glad they are reissuing masterpiece ultra magnus. i missed it the first time and it was around $300 in some places. now have to look for the cheapest place, maybe bbts. hopefully some company makes a not too expensive masterpiece trailer for it in the future.

I should wait for the Henkei versions that will soon come out over here but I buckled and got Prowl and Sunstreaker today.

Is it just me or do these feel more like BTs than Classics ?

Prowl is the one I most want to like but Sunstreaker really shines. ha ha <_<

These guys have actually made me a little more hopeful for the Alternity line. The BT vibe really works at this scale.

I saw the pics of the Henkei Prwol and Streaker today. The magazine actually shows off how well the plastic and yellow painted parts match on the Japanese version. It was almost mocking. That kind of pisses me off. Why can Henkei do this and yet Hasbro's are really mismatched. .

Both Hasbro and Tomy have been having issues with quality control in their most recent lines for some reason. Hasbro's Animated and Universe (2008) lines have a well-documented slide in quality control (compared to the Movie line) while Tomy's BT redeco/headswaps Bluestreak and Argent Meister are suffering paint issues.

Alex: I am apprehensive about Alternity. The problem I have is Alternity will likely be twice, if not thrice, as complex as the relatively complex Prowl, and you'll have to deal with painted die cast metal, which, in my opinion, is asking for trouble at this scale. I think it would have been better if they were made entirely out of plastic, but painted. Paint seems to adhere better to plastic than metal, at least with Transformers toys.

Henkei Stuntron Wildrider Exclusive = BotCon Dark Rodimus ....

Wow. Another supposedly "exclusive" item to BotCon that has now made it's way into the mass markets ... well, sorta.

Many TFs fans will be pissed.

Nobody really cares man.

And this finally explains why TakaraTomy was so reluctant to manufacture the BotCon 2008 exclusives (the 2006 Classics molds weren't being used by Hasbro at the time): Tomy were coincidentally doing very similar exclusives as well.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I don't see Alternity toys being any more difficult to transform than your average deluxe figure. They will be expensive because of the die-cast and added detailing.

I just feel bad for Convoy ans his "trade-down".

Speaking of Prowl, i'm actually a little disappointed with him. Something just feels......awkward.

BTW, has it already been mentioned that SS's engine can fold and clip over his gun to create an alternate BFG?

Edited by Alex

Speaking of Prowl, i'm actually a little disappointed with him. Something just feels......awkward.

It's the door panels, they're a PITA to transform. I think I've finally figured them out though. Getting them into position should be the first thing you do before you do anything else. Pull them out and then turn each so they're perpendicular to the rest of the car before trying to fold them in on themselves. There's a sweet spot that lets you do this, and there's not much room for tolerance.

Something I *just* found out about Prowl that's very easy to miss is that the feet extend downwards for better ankle articulation to give you that little bit of extra stability you need so he can do a standard stand at attention pose without slouching and it also gives him an increase in height. Give those feet a pull, you'll be surprised when you hear it click and extend. I know I was.

Something I *just* found out about Prowl that's very easy to miss is that the feet extend downwards for better ankle articulation to give you that little bit of extra stability you need so he can do a standard stand at attention pose without slouching and it also gives him an increase in height. Give those feet a pull, you'll be surprised when you hear it click and extend. I know I was.

Took me like 20 minutes before I noticed this too.

And what is with the BROWN windows on SS and Prowl?! The one thing that eally gets to me is that Prowl has brown shins.

Hm. Prowl+Sunstreaker. StreakerProwl. Ew.

I just feel bad for Convoy ans his "trade-down".

Trade-down? There's not trade-down man. Were THS-01 or THS-02 trade-downs? Certainly not. Tiny awesome transformable pieces of die-cast art. I don't see why Convoy would be any different, especially since he's BIGGER than both THS figures.

Trade-down? There's not trade-down man. Were THS-01 or THS-02 trade-downs? Certainly not. Tiny awesome transformable pieces of die-cast art. I don't see why Convoy would be any different, especially since he's BIGGER than both THS figures.

I meant in terms of his alt mode.

He WAS a 20+foot truck. Now he's a tiny azz sports car.

finally broke down and picked up animated leader megs and leader bulkhead...and now I'm hooked :/ The problem is I want to make sure I get the figs in the correct size in relation to the leader ones I've got now (if possible), so they line up as close to the show as possible...having never actually seen the show, I look to the experts for help.

So, what I'm thinking is:

Leaders: Megs, Bulkhead, Ultra Magnus

Voyagers: Prime, Grimlock

Deluxe: Bumblebee, Prowl

any thoughts? :)

So, anybody see the pics of Transformers Crossovers Thor at the Hasbro Marvel panel at SDCC?

He has a pretty impressive A-10 mode. Far more accurrate (aside from the colour) than Universe Powerglide.

I don't see Alternity toys being any more difficult to transform than your average deluxe figure. They will be expensive because of the die-cast and added detailing.
Dude, this thing has interiors. Regular deluxes don't have interiors, or even functioning doors most of the time.

Don't you remember how difficult Alternators and Binaltech were to transform compared to normal Transformers? Now think about the same type of toys but much smaller. That's where your "more difficult to transform than your average deluxe" comes from!

finally broke down and picked up animated leader megs and leader bulkhead...and now I'm hooked :/ The problem is I want to make sure I get the figs in the correct size in relation to the leader ones I've got now (if possible), so they line up as close to the show as possible...having never actually seen the show, I look to the experts for help.

So, what I'm thinking is:

Leaders: Megs, Bulkhead, Ultra Magnus

Voyagers: Prime, Grimlock

Deluxe: Bumblebee, Prowl

any thoughts? :)

Swap Deluxe Bumblebee for Activators Bumblebee. In some ways, Activators Bumblebee is the better toy, and he's much closer to correct scale. And a mini-con Prowl that unfolds into a Deluxe-sized robot.

It sucks that Voyager Bulkhead is so much smaller in bot mode. His alt mode is sized fairly well to Voyager Prime's, and I think he's the more toon accurate figure. With those in mind, and the fact that I just don't like most bots enough to shell out for a Leader toy, I got Voyager Bulkhead, completing my quintet of the main-cast Autobots.

In the last two or three days, I've checked my local Wal-Mart, local Target, local Toys R' Us, plus an out of the way Wal-Mart and K-Mart. Lugnut really starting to become a shelfwarmer in my area, and the one Wal-Mart had nothing but Ratchets and Blackarachnias. The first trio of Universe toys are turning up in Wal-Mart and K-Mart now too. But aside from finding a Soundwave at my local Wal-Mart like two weeks ago, I haven't seen hide nor hair of new Animated toys. Which sucks because I really want Jazz, if not Snarl.

cool, i'll check out activators bb. I usually do all my toys in robot and vehicle mode, so will probably pick up a voyager bulkhead to display in vehicle...like the looks of it better and it's a more reasonable size.

My toys r us shelves sound similar to yours...tons of arachnias and ratchets, plus voyager megs, bulkhead, and starscream...no sign of lugnut though. Don't really like his colors anyways, and apparently scale-wise, he's way too small.

That is a really tricky question, with the Animated toy sizes there are two separate "scales" or groups that are the most common. I call them "Autobot scale" and "Decepticon scale". Leader class Bulkhead, Voyager Optimus Prime, Deluxe Ratchet and Prowl and Jazz, Deluxe Lockdown and Activators Bumblebee are in "Autobot scale" and all look good together in Robot mode. To look right in Vehicle mode you should an Activator or Legends class prowl.

In what I call "Decepticon scale" you can use Leader Megatron, (a non existent Leader class Lugnut) Voyager Starscream, Voyager Blitzwing, Deluxe Blackarachnia, Deluxe two pack Prime, Deluxe Cybretron mode Prime, Voyager Lugnut, Voyager Grimlock, Deluxe Sentinel Prime, Deluxe Snarl and Swoop, Activator Ratchet and Prowl, and Legends Bumblebee.

I am not sure what group Soundwave fits in better, I would have to guess he is in the "Decepticon scale" group but until I go back and watch the episode to check I don't want to say. I think Ultra Magnus is "Autobot scale", but I am not sure until I see more pictures of him with other toys in robot mode. Then there are a few that are too big or too small for either, Deluxe two pack Megatron is way to dinky to be much good, Voyager Megatron and Lugnut probably go well together. Deluxe Bumblebee is way to big for his own good, though he might look good next to activators or legends class Prowl in Vehicle mode.

You can get way more characters at the right size with the "Decepticon scale" ones, if you don't mind a bunch of Activators Autobots.

In general all the decepticons are huge, Blackarachnia and Lockdown being the smallest, and they are about the same size as Optimus Prime the second largest Autobot.

cool, i'll check out activators bb. I usually do all my toys in robot and vehicle mode, so will probably pick up a voyager bulkhead to display in vehicle...like the looks of it better and it's a more reasonable size.

My toys r us shelves sound similar to yours...tons of arachnias and ratchets, plus voyager megs, bulkhead, and starscream...no sign of lugnut though. Don't really like his colors anyways, and apparently scale-wise, he's way too small.

In most of the stores around hear, you can find Voyager Megs, Grimlock, and Lugnut. Lugnut is EVERYWHERE. But I'm surprised to hear you can find Bulkhead pretty easy there. In five stores I went to, four didn't have any, and I got the last one at the fifth.

most of the characters i like seem to fit into your autobot scale JT, so that one works well for me. I'll have to pop out to the local toys r us and see what I can find today.

and mike...haven't seen any lugnuts or grimlocks up here yet (Vancouver, Canada), but Bulkhead, megs, and starscream are everywhere. Toys r us and walmart both had a ton of em.

SDCC Transformers news - upcoming releases:

TF Animated: Deluxe Blurr, repaint of Leader Megatron, and Voyager Longarm (some crane platform?)

TF Universe/Classics 2: Deluxe Hound with Ravage, Targetmaster Cyclonus, Beast Wars Cheetor, Legends Brawn, Beachcomber, Bumblebee, & Cosmos

Awesome news!!!

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Pics here: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/c...---live-165465/

TARGETMASTER CYCLONUS?? Hound with a G1 compatable Ravage?? Holy awesome! And even though I wanted that previous Cosmos toy, I'll take the Legends class one. It's good to see the minibots making a comeback with him, beachcomber, brawn, bumblebee....wow. Everything looks so great, except Cheetor, who in my eyes is impossible to make appealing. I'm having a sever geek-out right now. :D

Edited by eriku

Was at Comic Con this morning and swung by the TF display. Animated Ultra Magnus' cab looks a whole lot less blue then it did in those images a few pages back.

I'm really looking forward to Cylconus, now if they'd just do a really nice Springer.