Aircraft Vs Thread 5

So as I mentioned I went to the Andrews Air Force Base Open house last month with my brand new Camera and telephoto lens. Most of my shots ended up being of the aerial performers as there were both slim pickens in the static display area and it was overcast during the first half of the day when I normally walk about the tarmac looking at planes. Here's what I've cropped and edited so far: (click to enlarge)

th_DSC_0067.jpg th_DSC_0182.jpg th_DSC_0357.jpg th_DSC_0143.jpg

This one's my new desktop background:

th_DSC_0190copy.jpg

Edited by Nied

With memories of playing SWOTL and regularly wiping out swarms of B-17s at close range with my overloaded wing-tub cannon Bf-109G or Me262, it was a heck of a big change when I started playing Il-2 Sturmovik and it appeared as if the 8th AF had clones of Alvin York and Carlos Hathcock manning all the .50s

Ain't that the truth

Another round of pictures from Andrews:

th_DSC_0423.jpg th_DSC_0349.jpg th_DSC_0213.jpg th_DSC_0152.jpg

This last one is Dale Snodgrass, he put on a great show as always and I got a lot of great pictures of him in part because he flew so close to the crowd. I thought this one was sort of indicative of his whole display, shades of that famous shot of him in the F-14 doing a knife edge pass in front of the carrier deck crew.

th_DSC_0788.jpg

First Australian Super Hornet to be handed over Jul 8 in St Louis. Not sure when it'll actually be delivered to Australia (or even how)----it's quite possible it'll be disassembled and flown over in a C-17 or something.

First Australian Super Hornet to be handed over Jul 8 in St Louis. Not sure when it'll actually be delivered to Australia (or even how)----it's quite possible it'll be disassembled and flown over in a C-17 or something.

It could be "dragged" over by a tanker.

The Sukhoi Pak FA. To compete directly with F-22's and F-35's. Look's pretty badass if I do say so myself. Couple of pics look like the SU-47 with the forward swept wings and canards.

It also reminds me a lot of the older "tear drop" F-19 Stealth fighter models that were out in the 80's.

Edited by Fatalist

As the link itself says those are conjectural designs from some Russian industrial designer. As far as I know this is the only known official design taken from an NPO-Saturn (maker of the PAK-FA's engines) press release.

PAK-FA-NPO-Saturn-1S.jpg

Like Nied said those designs are not by Sukhoi, but an outside industrial designer, I have only seen a couple images released by Sukhoi that are mostly smoke and mirrors, but the plane is suppossed to make first flight this year so the design is built, just not revealed to the public. Hey Nied can you host that image here so I can see if it is the one I have seen before? So far the only "official" image that been released is of the aircraft under a camo net.

Something else to keep in mind is that there is conjecture that Sukhoi is making that Pak-Fa in multiple configurations, ala the F-35, but to a greater extreme. Some of the images from more reliable sources I have seen show aircraft with a fairly common fuselage but different wing structures, some delta, some FSW, etc... Those images posted on Gizmodo almost go along with that.

Edited by Knight26

Like Nied said those designs are not by Sukhoi, but an outside industrial designer, I have only seen a couple images released by Sukhoi that are mostly smoke and mirrors, but the plane is suppossed to make first flight this year so the design is built, just not revealed to the public. Hey Nied can you host that image here so I can see if it is the one I have seen before? So far the only "official" image that been released is of the aircraft under a camo net.

Durn gubmint servers not allowing you to see outside linked images! ;) I don't believe I've seen the picture of the PAK-FA under a camo net, I'd love to see it if you could post it.

post-752-1247094453_thumb.jpg

Pavel Bulat (a professor of aerodynamics, regularly writing on paralay.com)

put out an image of the thing masked with scrim in his may article.

It looks like the photos were taken before the recent visit of the government

delegation to KNAAPO.

Of course the pics are heavily edited.

http://www.paralay.com/stat/Bulat_12.pdf (in russian)

post-341-1247099220_thumb.jpg

post-341-1247099234_thumb.jpg

post-341-1247099250_thumb.jpg

The translation on the images, and the article I pulled them from stated that the pictures were real, but heavily editted afterwards. I am inclined to agree with, obviously the background and floor were messed with, but modelling the scrim like that would a serious pain.

Yeah, but the scrim itself looks really fake...

Anyways---I hope Australia does a more interesting paint job than this when it's actually on their soil:

RAFF-SUPER.jpg

(I hate to link off someone else's photobucket, but Boeing recently changed things and made it impossible to link and hard to download media pics)

IIRC part of the RAAF's lease deal is the option to give the planes to the US Navy once the lease is up. I don't know what kind of modifications would be involved though. Also I thought the non-existent option was eliminated after it was found to cause all sorts of unexpected vibrations while taxiing.

RAAF Super Hornet time-lapse construction video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=be5_1247196550

They sure seem to attach and re-attach the canopy a lot.

Fit checks perhaps (or we're seeing another hornet being built)? I attach and re-attach a canopy on a model just as much. It would be quite a gaff if the hornet is on the flightline, ready for it's first flight, and it turns out the seats were 2 cm too high, and the canopy wouldn't close.