Aoshima Variable 1/48 Legioss for 2007

Save

There is a Japanese toy whole sale site that has updated their site with details indicating Aoshima Toy and Model will be releases a variable 1/48 scale Mospeada Legioss under their already established “A New Century Alloy†toy line. There are no pictures of the toy at this time, but the release is scheduled for July 2007. Currently set to cost a retail price of 10290¥ ($87.00 USD).

No I'm not talking about the 1/48 reissued IMAI model kits that are already out from the same company.

This is gonna be like the best year ever for an ol' Mospeada fan like myself. I'm more than a little perplexed as to why all these manufacturers are making the toy so SMALL though. I was just playin' with my Gakken 1/35s last night, it's such a better scale... unless you're making a Tread also... I'm also a little concerned that this toy will just be a new take on the Toynami MPC since the MPC was based on the Imai kit and I gotta assume Aoshima would also borrow from that kit since they're currently producing it.

Edited by jenius

I'd put money on this just being a metal version of the Imai 1/48.

And I don't think it'll be a "new take," I think it'll be a near exact copy. Along the same lines as the Aoshima Aliens Dropship.

Edited by Phyrox

And I don't think it'll be a "new take," I think it'll be a near exact copy. Along the same lines as the Aoshima Aliens Dropship.

Yup, ditto. Still nice to see more companies picking up the license and releasing merchandise, I think.

If so, will it be pre-assembled like a toy?

If it's a preassembled metal version of the Imai kit then it might prove to just be a more (or less?) rugged version of the Toynami MPC. Seems really silly to me but I'll be one of the suckers paying $100 to import a toy that is pretty much universally scorned on these boards as not being worth $50 in its Toynami incarnation. Hopefully they have an MPC and have figured out where Toynami went wrong.

I seriously don't think it will be a preassembled metal version of the Imai kit, since all the other "A New Century Alloy" toys are all new molds from Aoshima. Check the quality of their Mazinkaiser from the same toy line the Legioss will be released under, it looks great all the way from the packaging to all the extra goodies.

post-3328-1175569648_thumb.jpg

Edited by SaveRobotech

Hmm, this will be the first transforming entry in the Shin Geiki Gokin line, right?....I wonder how Aoshima will pull this off. Their Shin Geiki Gokin Mazinkaisers and Getters are heavy duty gokins, but not so good when it comes to engineering...relative to their close competitors, the Bandai SOCs. A transforming toy might be a bit of a challenge.

Of course, the various Harlock Arcadias are gorgeous, but they just have to sit there and look pretty!

Edited by emerson

I reckon Aoshima has gather enough cash from their Getter and Mazinkasier sale to move on to the next phase.

I love Aoshima metal, paint job and sculpt. Let's see what they can do with their transforming skill.

I'm actually excited that it is 1/48 scale. Should look great next to the Yamato 1/48 Valkyries.

A 1/48 Aoshima will be exactly the same size as a Toynami MPC if Aoshima borrows from the Imai tradition. Does the Toynami MPC look great next to your 1/48 Yamatos? If it were 1/35 scale it'd be just a tiny bit shorter than your 1/48... as it isi it will be MUCH smaller.

Count me in the camp wondering "why" all this Mospeada all of a sudden... I mean, this feels like the '80s again when every hollywood studio put out an underwater movie (The Abyss, Deep Star Six, Leviathan, etc...) out of nowhere. I mean, yes I am thrilled that this old obscure property is getting some treatment outside of Toynami but it just strikes me as strange that it is getting so much focus NOW.

[state the Obvious] I wonder if this has anything to do with Shadow Chronicles? [/state the Obvious]

Are the aoshima sculpts the unpainted Legioss and Treads at the recent wonderfest?

No, that's CM's Mospeada offering... although they appear to also be in approximately 1/48 or 1/55 scale also.

Edited by jenius

Southern Cross' 25th anniversary is in 2009, but less people in Japan care about Southern Cross than they do MOSPEADA. Don't hold your breath waiting for more toys or models.

Still, I couldn't pass up a transformable Spartan Hovertank if they made one.

Still with the "tidal wave" of Japanese fan interest we've had for Mospeada in the past 25 years I'm shocked so much is being done by so many for what pretty much amounts to a little known anniversary for a little followed show. It just strikes me as strange that even for a "25th Anniversary" that so many different companies are moving on Mospeada products. CM's, Beagle, Aoshima... all making transforming toys, not just cheapie plastic figurines or claw game prizes.

I know it's easy for those of us who are fans of the show to say "well DUH the show is awesome and it's totally popular in Japan" but IMHO that sort of doesn't ring true. I mean, one short show with it's last showing being a single episode OAV spinoff that came out 21 years ago is not exactly fresh in the minds of Japanese fandom. About the only thing that kept the show alive this long was it's inclusion in Robotech. I'm not trying to get into a Mospeada fandom debate (even though it might seem that I am), I'm just trying to figure out where this big push is coming from... as much as I'd like to believe "25th Anniversary", my brain is telling me more that Shadow Chronicles has possible renewed interest in the designs from the show. The 25th Anniversary seems like a coincidence... either that or Shadow Chronicles hitting right at the anniversary.

I agree, afterall, if this were 25th anniversary fever wouldn't all this merchandise be slated to come out in 2008 to really celebrate it? I think Tatsunoko is probably trying to ramp up some renewed interest in Mospeada and [conspiracy] then release Shadow Chronicles in some heavily revamped form as Mospeada II. Then again, perhaps "Mospeada II" will be the big 25th anniversary celebration event... [/conspiracy].

I know it's easy for those of us who are fans of the show to say "well DUH the show is awesome and it's totally popular in Japan" but IMHO that sort of doesn't ring true. I mean, one short show with it's last showing being a single episode OAV spinoff that came out 21 years ago is not exactly fresh in the minds of Japanese fandom. About the only thing that kept the show alive this long was it's inclusion in Robotech. I'm not trying to get into a Mospeada fandom debate (even though it might seem that I am), I'm just trying to figure out where this big push is coming from... as much as I'd like to believe "25th Anniversary", my brain is telling me more that Shadow Chronicles has possible renewed interest in the designs from the show. The 25th Anniversary seems like a coincidence... either that or Shadow Chronicles hitting right at the anniversary.

I'm with you on this one. Aside from reissuing the old model kits, we've never seen anything done to celebrate Mospeada's 10th, 15th, or 20th anniversaries. One theory I have is that perhaps Toynami's MPC Alphas have been selling well enough on Yahoo Japan to spark an interest in making new toys. Or maybe Japan is experiencing an anime "retro" phase, kind of like how America was with Speed Racer in the mid 90's.