The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

Okay for anybody who might know... is the PS3 in the long run going to be a more powerful system than the xbox 360?

Also, how great are the graphics going to be on the PS3? I see those pictures but I'm not that impressed. My computer has a Radeon 9800 Pro card, 1 gig of ram, 3.12 ghz. Can the PS3 beat this? I don't think I'll be able to buy a better computer than mine for 600 bucks, and I KNOW for a fact in the future the pS3 will have games that I want so bad I could cry. It's a toughie wether or not I'll buy one at launch... but I SHALL own one eventually.

Edit/add: So far, the Xbox 360 isn't "wow"ing me. How come every game coming out for the 360 is also coming out on Ps2 AND Xbox? If the 360's so great... then uhm, why do they have the exact same games on inferior systems?

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Edit/add: So far, the Xbox 360 isn't "wow"ing me. How come every game coming out for the 360 is also coming iout on Ps2 AND Xbox? If the 360's so great... then uhm, why do they have the exact same games on inferior systems?

Most games from third party developers (i.e. not Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo) are going to be released for as many platforms as possible in order to maximize sales. Just because a game is released for PS2 and Xbox360 does not mean that they are equally good/bad. Sometimes the difference is only skin-deep (i.e. scaled back graphics), but many times the differences are quite substantial. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior, for example, is a highly acclaimed 360 game that was also released for the PS2 and original Xbox, but the latter versions are considered very poor games and not very much like the 360 version at all.

Edited by mister_e

Okay for anybody who might know... is the PS3 in the long run going to be a more powerful system than the xbox 360?

Well, we've all seen the screenshots for PS3 trailers and demos, but it remains to be seen how many of the more flashy looking titles will retain that polish for their final release. I've seen plenty of PS3 "trailers" that have made much less impressive showings in the time since their first pre-rendered appearances.

I've heard conflicting reports, some say the PS3 will prove the more powerful console in the longrun, while others say that the PS3 is not significantly more powerful than the 360 and the additional cost of the PS3 comes more from the extras like BluRay.

As gorgeous as a lot of the screenshots recently posted in this thread are, I am forced to remain skeptical by past experience. Also, considering how gorgeous the Resident Evil games for the Gamecube were, I'm not entirely conviced we couldn't see a game as equally impressive as these Devil May Cry shots on the 360, or even the Wii (though lacking hi-def resolution in that case). There is some incredibly smart use of texture maps in those screenshots. The Virtua Fighter 3 shots I'd wager are definitely do-able on the 360.

While there will remain heated debate both ways, time will well. The PS3 is still expected to be out this Holiday season (it is, isn't it? If I recall there were no playable games at E3), and the world will have many of its answers then.

Edited by Radd

The whole AC series needs an overhaul. Clunky controls, slow gameplay, interface etc are all outdated

The gameplay could at least reflect the in-game movies. I mean they show the ACs moving fast, destroying buildings, huge explosions and then you start the game...slow as a snail and little to no interaction with your surroundings.

There hasn't been a good one since AC2. And that one wasn't even as good as PS1 games.

speaking of AC4. Here are some pics.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0609/game060917b.shtml

Edited by dejr8bud

Well. I just want to know if the hardware in the PS3 is fundamentally superior. We really won't know what either system is capable of until probably four years from now. I know that Metal Gear Solid 3 is relatively recent, and I just played it for the first time like a month or two ago, and WOW. Talk about impressive - I had no idea the PS2 could do such things. I can't imagine what the PS3 titles will be like in a few years. The system launch, as usual, will have games that are cool now, but will seem pretty awful eventually. Anyway, I'm rambling. So will blu-ray discs hold more information than a 360' disc?

I am reminded of, way back, when the internet forums were abuzz with the "fact" that the Gamecube had the worst tech specs of all the, then, new consoles. How it would not even match the PS2s capabilities.

We now stand in an age where Capcom's Resident Evil entries for the Cube, as well as many other notable titles, have proven that to be entirely, completely, and undisputably wrong. So much so that anyone who took the above position will vehemently deny they ever posted any such opinion.

If you believe the hype, the PS3 will be the, undisputed, most powerful console. The $600 price tag lends some credit to that belief, afterall, what sort of company would release a console so expensive if the hardware couldn't produce graphics to justify that?

The Sega Saturn was certainly a behmoth of power, but for various reasons, many considered it to have inferior graphics to the underpowered Playstation.

Predicting the potential graphics power of new consoles has about as much credibility as a fortuneteller reading your palm. For all we know the PS3 could be on equal footing with the 360, in terms of graphics, and then within a year we suddenly start seeing surpsingly good graphics from Nintendo's underdog console.

The whole AC series needs an overhaul. Clunky controls, slow gameplay, interface etc are all outdated

The gameplay could at least reflect the in-game movies. I mean they show the ACs moving fast, destroying buildings, huge explosions and then you start the game...slow as a snail and little to no interaction with your surroundings.

There hasn't been a good one since AC2. And that one wasn't even as good as PS1 games.

speaking of AC4. Here are some pics.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0609/game060917b.shtml

The clunky controls are what make Armored Core what it is though. I like it that way. Besides, the alternate control setup in the newest AC game is pretty smooth (although I don't use it).

I do think AC needs an overhaul though. I think it lies more in mission and map design.

A lot of the missions just aren't fun anymore. And NONE of the maps make me feel like I am in a huge robot. Almost all the indoor ones make it seem as if I'm merely human sized. And world interaction would certainly be a big plus.

Although, in all honesty, what made me lose interest was actually just the recent change to weapons that so changed the play style and mech designs I had used since PS1 AC games.

Oh, and arena mode needs a serious shot in the arm..or just take it out.

AC maps need something as a reference point if they want to protray the mechs as large and lumbering. Some real life city fighting a-la Mechwarrior would be nice. I've only played up until Nexus, and while the limited amount of street fighting was a nice change from the endless corridors, the sense of scale was somehow always messed up. Speaking of corridors... From really needs to ween themselves off corridors... while I can understand the technical reasons behind it, still...

The ability to command your own little squad would also be nice, instead of always making it seem like it was you against the entire world...

AC needs a complete, and total, overhaul. It's a really cool concept, but never do you feel like you're in a huge robot. The graphics on the levels are pathetic. And this is coming from a once AC fan. Make the robots actually seem big by putting some actual detail into the levels and AC will once again be cool.

Edit/Add: those pics of AC4 aren't impressing me

Edited by GutsAndCasca

I am probably going to be waiting a bit until the machines are more plentiful to get one....I would really like one on launch day, but I know that with only 400k coming to US, my chances are slim to none, and my honey isnt too thrilled at the cost of it, stating that other things could use that money that are more important...so I guess I shall have to wait.

I cannot believe the capabilities of the machine and the fact that it is going to be a Blu-Ray player....I just cant wait until I get the okay to buy it, or I save enought to just get it anyway come next year.

Twich

I'm probably alone in this, but I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that they develop the end-all Macross game for PS3. AND, I hope Koei is hard at work designing a totally new, totally unique Dynasty Warriors for the PS3. Which reminds me... I have a samurai warriors 2 on it's way to my house that I preordered a long time ago. I'm sort of pist though, I've read reviews on it and everybody hates it.

I would not be opposed to a fantastic Macross game for the PS3. I'd rather they made one for the PC, though. One that worked with my flightstick, and could be modded down the road.

well, here is the gist of it

The microtransaction-focused game, Gran Turismo HD: Classic will be the online-focused entrant into the GT-series. In this game, players will (reportedly) start with no cars or courses available to them. Instead, they will need to purchase their stable of cars and courses to race on. The pricing reported in the Famitsu piece indicated that cars would cost between 50-100 yen ($0.43-$0.85) and courses between 200-500 yen ($1.71-$4.26). There are approximiately 750 cars and 50 tracks available for purchase in the GT: HD Classic. Let's do the math:

750 cars for $0.50-$1.00 (Sony will round-up, don't you think?)

50 tracks for $1.50-$4.50

A complete copy of the game will cost gamers somewhere between $426.50 and $975, and that's without factoring in whatever Sony decides to charge for the menus (since that's all you'll get with GT HD: Classic).

That is the most messed up thing I've ever heard. That's even more gay than Bethesda charging money for horse armor on the Elder Scrolls 4. If this is the future of video gaming... then I'm sure glad I'm stocked up on old 8 and 16 bit ROMS! Not to mention arcade games. If I gave a rats azz about online play I'd just invest money into my PC. The reason for me to even buy a PS3 is so I can play games by myself once the wife and kid have gone to bed.

I have no problem with this new Gran Turismo HD. It's only a Stop GAP before GT5 comes out.

It's not like I have to buy every single car and track inorder for me to enjoy this game. I'll be happy will just buying 2 to 3 cars and the 2 new tracks. This and their online racing feature will be enough for me til GT5 get's released.

And because this is not a full GT game they are not goint to charge you like a regular game. Expect $20 for for the Classic and $40 for the Premium. They did it before and they did price it accordingly.

By the WAY, NEWS on the PS3. All models will now have HDMI port. Even the 20GB model. :)

well, here is the gist of it

The microtransaction-focused game, Gran Turismo HD: Classic will be the online-focused entrant into the GT-series. In this game, players will (reportedly) start with no cars or courses available to them. Instead, they will need to purchase their stable of cars and courses to race on. The pricing reported in the Famitsu piece indicated that cars would cost between 50-100 yen ($0.43-$0.85) and courses between 200-500 yen ($1.71-$4.26). There are approximiately 750 cars and 50 tracks available for purchase in the GT: HD Classic. Let's do the math:

750 cars for $0.50-$1.00 (Sony will round-up, don't you think?)

50 tracks for $1.50-$4.50

A complete copy of the game will cost gamers somewhere between $426.50 and $975, and that's without factoring in whatever Sony decides to charge for the menus (since that's all you'll get with GT HD: Classic).

At that point, if they wanted to give out the disc "free" it would make sense. But to buy a disc that gives ou absolutely nothing, and then having to pay again for game components is infinately gay.

Hey, I've got an idea. They should also charge you for auto-repair everytime you have a collision on the track. Include realistic damage, & realistic sheister mechanics. Brilliant!

Edited by Keith

I read about that nonsense, but I thought it was a joke. Sony's gonna' laugh all the way to the bank with this one though.

I've got an idea. How about a shooter from Konami or something, where you have to buy the weapons for your ship? Or, a fighting game where you have to purchase moves and abilities? This is brilliant, on the part of Sony...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67794

Sony TGS Keynote by Ken Kutaragi. Not only does it make him sound like a blathering idiot, it also makes the PS3 look even more unappealing as Kenny seems intent on making it something halfway between a game console and a PC. PC functionality with game system ease of use.

I'm consistently amazed at how every new announcement by Sony makes the 360 look better and better.

Or they could have a game where you have to purchase continues using real money! Everytime you die, it could be 5 dollars. Boy that'd make all the role players rethink THEIR strategies! HAR HAR HAR! Imagine Tekken 6 ---- you have to pay to enter the iron fist tournament... again and again and...

Maybe I WILL get an Xbox 360.

Maybe I'll give you mine-I can think of dozens of other items that would make better paper weights, as this thing tends to fall over all of the time...

Nobody's talking about the latest from Kutaragi----what the $600 PS3 can do with its 2 HDMI ports? You can connect *two* 1080p HDTV's side-by-side and get a super-widescreen image.

Yeah. For the one guy who has two identical 1080p TV's to devote to the one or two games that might support that.

Sony---pushing the limits of technology that nobody cares about.

Nobody's talking about the latest from Kutaragi----what the $600 PS3 can do with its 2 HDMI ports? You can connect *two* 1080p HDTV's side-by-side and get a super-widescreen image.

Yeah. For the one guy who has two identical 1080p TV's to devote to the one or two games that might support that.

To be fair, MS did it even worse.

If you had multiple XBoxes, multiple TVs, and multiple copies of Forza, you could hae a widescreen cockpit view if you jacked them all together via LAN.

Heck, the original Doom did it with 3 PCs and a LAN.

I miss the days when Kutaragi was funny instead of demented, though.

If you put it in a developers point of view...?

I feel that Sony is pushing technology to its limits, I think the PS3 is a bit pricey. But with the technology it contains I suppose its worth it.

Those screenies look awesome though, just imagine Macross on it. :o

But I feel Sony is just trying to put as much effort into the PS3 so they do not have to develop a next gen console in 5 years while the PS3 is still ahead of its time, which is smart but at the cost of the consumer its stupid.

If you put it in a developers point of view...?

I feel that Sony is pushing technology to its limits, I think the PS3 is a bit pricey. But with the technology it contains I suppose its worth it.

From what I've heard, it's not that great.

Developers are saying that it has too much floating-point and not enough everything else, and that it AND the 360 offer enough power to make current games in HD, but not enough to really try anything more processor-intensive gameplay-wise.

But I feel Sony is just trying to put as much effort into the PS3 so they do not have to develop a next gen console in 5 years while the PS3 is still ahead of its time, which is smart but at the cost of the consumer its stupid.

It's not really that smart. They'll have to launch a new system anyways. Public opinion states that newer = better, and someone else will force their hand.

That's why the 360 exists.

The XBox was NOT in need of an immediate upgrade.

MS made the new system anyways to ensure THEY were the first out the gate instead of Sony or Nintendo.

The big problem I see is this entire generation is a year or two early.

HD is JUST becoming approachable. MS and Sony have very expensive hardware to do HD, Nintendo is capping things at 480p to keep the hardware at a reasonable price point(I assure you Nintendo will start the NEXT hardware generation because of this, and Sony and MS will follow suit to ensure they aren't percieved as behind the times).

The Wii will hurt later, the PS3 hurts now, and MS' wallet hurts because the 360 is being sold at a serious loss.

2 years later... HD would be affordable for a game machine, and a lot more of the market would own HDTVs.

MS could be MAKING MONEY on the XBox for a change, Sony could have avoided the 600$ price tag entirely, and the Wii wouldn't be staring at premature obsolescence.

Sony is doing nothing but forcing us to buy a Blu-Ray player. It's bs. I don't want one but I want to play video games. At least give me an option.

You can't tell me they need the space either. HUGE pc games fit on regular dvds all day long and even with downloads, patches etc, no game I have ever played ever came close to remotely breaking the 8 gig mark so using dual layer dvds is still viable and a whole hell of a lot cheaper.

It's just Sony doing more of what is making them go bankrupt.

Sony is doing nothing but forcing us to buy a Blu-Ray player. It's bs. I don't want one but I want to play video games. At least give me an option.

You can't tell me they need the space either. HUGE pc games fit on regular dvds all day long and even with downloads, patches etc, no game I have ever played ever came close to remotely breaking the 8 gig mark so using dual layer dvds is still viable and a whole hell of a lot cheaper.

It's just Sony doing more of what is making them go bankrupt.

They "forced" you to buy a DVD player with the PS2. And honestly...you don't need to buy a PS3 if it bothers you that much.

The space will be needed later. Just because they don't need it now doesn't mean they never will. Resistance is somewhere at 18 Gigs (mostly due to audio). Sure they might be wasting the space...but I'd rather have them include more or better saples of audio/music than not have it.

I don't buy the need for space argument in the least. Development studios are lazy. The Gamecube showed modern disc games didn't need load times, but lazy developers keep abusing that.

Sony is more concerned with turning the PS3 into a more multipurpose set-top box, like what Ken said in his speech at TGS; something between a console and a PC. PC functionality with console simplicity of interface.

Bottom line is that Sony seems intent on innovating (if you could call it that) with a broad media focus. MS seems intent on innovating with a focus on games and gamers' interactions.