Who Honestly Likes The Gerwalk Mode Of Their Vf's?

Phalanx

I'm surprised none of the VF-4 fans have spoken up yet. Guess I'll be the first! Besides the VF-4, I also love the VF-9's gerwalk mode makes it seem even more badass-looking

When I think about it, not all of the fighters look so bad in gerwalk mode because IMHO, i think they look better if they didn't have their arms out when in gerwalk mode. As for me, I think tha t the VF-19 looks good in gerwalk mode, with or without it's arms. Can't explain what exactley is about that makes it look good in gerwalk.

The yf21 really look good in thi mode with the arms hanging out.

Especially when it is holding two gunpods at once and has shields on either of its arms to block fire. I don't know why but I think the idea of arms is good so long as they are facing forward in front of the legs rather than beside them. This is why I like the glaug so much because it's two arm cannons pointing forward makes it look agressive.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Love the Gerwalk on the VF-1 and the VF-0. The VF-11 is also fine. With the rest of them I just don't see it so elegant (VF-17 is just ugly).

It's such a useful configuration that even if it ain't aesthetic it can save the pilots bacon more than once.

I hate GERWALK.

It's too hard to say.

383246[/snapback]

You can always say 'GUARDIAN' mode...

**runs for macross city bomb shelter**

383258[/snapback]

LOL. You are one brave man, indeed.

The Guardian, er, Gerwalk, would be, in the real world, one of the most practical modes. I think most of the VF's look pretty cool in any mode. Except for the FireValyrie. That battleoid, er, battleoid head is absurd. It's so bad, that, even when you can't see the head (in fighter/gerwalk modes), it still makes the 19 look bad. (The blazer valkyrie is SWEETNESS!).

For what it's worth, those are my thoughts. Now, excuse me while I join you know who in the Macross City Bomb shelter.

RUN!

Love the Gerwalk on the VF-1 and the VF-0. The VF-11 is also fine. With the rest of them I just don't see it so elegant (VF-17 is just ugly).

It's such a useful configuration that even if it ain't aesthetic it can save the pilots bacon more than once.

383392[/snapback]

Word.

BEN DIXON RULES. (two stabs, just three words).

Okay, I'm running, I'm running. (to the shelter)

I hate GERWALK.

It's too hard to say.

383246[/snapback]

You can always say 'GUARDIAN' mode...

**runs for macross city bomb shelter**

383258[/snapback]

LOL. You are one brave man, indeed.

The Guardian, er, Gerwalk, would be, in the real world, one of the most practical modes.

It's acutally a fundamentally flawed mode.

It LOOKS like a good idea, but aerodynamically, it's worthless.

You may as well just use a squatting battroid and open up the throttle.

But it usually looks cool.

I think most of the VF's look pretty cool in any mode. Except for the FireValyrie.  That battleoid, er, battleoid head is absurd.  It's so bad, that, even when you can't see the head (in fighter/gerwalk modes), it still makes the 19 look bad.  (The blazer valkyrie is SWEETNESS!). 

Oh, good grief...

Gerwalk is amazing on the VF-1. The chicken legs. The A-stance. The way the toes point downward when the gerwalk's on the ground. The mode captured me the first time I saw it-- it blew me away that this kludgey half and half configuration just looked so right.

And Gerwalk looks best on the VF-1... you know, that Valk that you hate with a passion.

Real world has planes, Gundam has standing mecha but ONLY Macross has Gerwalks.

*cough* Mospaeda. And South Cross, if that walking tank mode can be considered "gerwalk". Coincidentally, all three parts of Robotech.

*runs*

I love the Gerwalk. Being both a person who likes jets as well as mecha, i couldn't ask for more. Currently displaying a VF-1A 1/48 and 1/72 YF-21 in gerwalk mode.

I'm looking at the YF-21, and although i took a good hour trying to get it to look good and still maintain balance, it was worth it. ;)

s best on the VF-1... you know, that Valk that you hate with a passion.

*cough* Mospaeda. And South Cross, if that walking tank mode can be considered "gerwalk". Coincidentally, all three parts of Robotech.

*runs*

383448[/snapback]

But Macross did it first. Everything else is just imitation.

383507[/snapback]

and bad imitation at that. Kawamori's gerwalks are the only ones that ever look remotely 'right' and even the froating head doesn't always get it quite as perfect as the VF-1.

Gerwalk is my favorite mode, fighter and battloid are both nice, but there's just something about the gerwalk mode, the aggressive looking combination of fighter and robot really works for me.

383507[/snapback]

True that. Did that weird F4-gerwalk model kit come before or after Macross?

I actually displayed my one 1/48 Valk at the time in that Fighter-walk mode for a long while-- you know, Gerwalk without the arms. The way the legs spread and the toes point on the toy... Nothing in toy or model land has ever conveyed the look and feel of that mode as well.

When I was in highschool in the 1980's a classmate told me that GERWALK stood for:

Ground

Effective

Reinforcement of

Winged

Armament with

Locomotive

Knee-joint

Don't know if it's official, but it sounded cool!!

Anyways, I always loved GERWALK mode. It's the one mode which displays the uniqueness of the transforming valkyrie: it's a hybrid mode which has the features of both a plane and robot. Isn't it the most versatile mode as well?

When I was in highschool in the 1980's a classmate told me that GERWALK stood for:

Ground

Effective

Reinforcement of

Winged

Armament with

Locomotive

Knee-joint

Don't know if it's official, but it sounded cool!!

383554[/snapback]

...You know....

http://macross.anime.net//story/glossary/index.html

What I never understood was how a gerwalk hovered and propelled forward with the backpack thrusters, without doing a nosedive. I pretty much agree with those that said that "flying" in gerwalk mode would be futile, and that the only real useful thing about the mode is VTOL without full transformation.

Neverless, it does look cool (for the VF-1 and VF-0 only), and it allowed Hikaru to rescue Minmay when he didn't know how to effectively operate a Battroid. That's good enough for me.

Real world has planes, Gundam has standing mecha but ONLY Macross has Gerwalks. I don´t know why but the first time I saw a Gerwalk I instantly realized that a Jetfighter with legs and hands just looked right.  As if I had just wanted to see exactly this weird thing for all my life. It was a VF-1 of course and the resemblance to (then) contemporary fighters just helped to make it convincing for me.

383252[/snapback]

The VF-17 Gerwalk. Looks odd but I still love it ( ugly duck complex).

The VF-1 and VF-0 are the kings though.

VF -0, 1 and 19 are the valks whose gerwalk configuration I lilke.

The 21/22 is pretty fuggly in that mode, imo.

384008[/snapback]

I find the 21/22 gerwalk alright.

What i find fugly is teh VF-11's gerwalk. It looks like a huge chunk of the back is missing. XD

s best on the VF-1... you know, that Valk that you hate with a passion.

*runs*

383448[/snapback]

383507[/snapback]

True. Macross will be a saga our kids kids will be watching. Best series I've seen to date.

OK my statement that "only Macross has Gerwalks" was wrong, I definitely forgot about Mospeada and Orguss, both shows have Gerwalks and they are even designated as such- even though IMO a "genuine" Gerwalk has a pointy jet nose, so the Orguss designs, despite having a similar structure, are something different in my book.

Of course there are other designs from Macross and other shows that bear the Gerwalk description but I don´t like how in recent years EVERY design with a cockpit sticking out to the front and with reversed knee joints is called a Gerwalk. I do NOT regard the Monster in its usual Destroid shape a Gerwalk, and a Glaug is no Gerwalk either regardless what Kawamori is trying to tell us. It is just to distinguish the original form from the newly made-up Battoid mode - and I really don´t think the Monster or the Glaug need a battroid form at all!

The F-4 Gerwalk Phantom as well as the Harrier from Zamac are just "cash-in"-designs and they came AFTER Macross (same with Mospeada but at least the Legioss is a main mecha of the show while Zamac is nothing but a line of model kits).

It is funny how the Designation has become an accepted term in the anime world. I wonder where its Origins come from. A "Ger" is a thrown spear used by ancient Germans IIRC, and there is a Bird of prey named a "Gerfalke" (=falcon) in German, too. Change the "f" to "w" as a hint that the bird can walk and you have it but this is just my own interpretation. Whatever it came from, this abbrevation thing mentioned earlier in the thread must have been conjectured after the term was alreday invented, it just sounds too hilarious (but it seems to be canon!)

I do NOT regard the Monster in its usual Destroid shape a Gerwalk, and a Glaug is no Gerwalk either regardless what Kawamori is trying to tell us. It is just to distinguish the original form from the newly made-up Battoid mode - and I really don´t think the Monster or the Glaug need a battroid form at all!

Yeah at first I didn't like calling the monster in its normal form the gerwalk mode but to me it makes sense when reffering to a variable version of the monster since it describes the way in which the robot looks and moves. When you have three modes to transform into and the pilot needs to call it something, the first thing that comes to mind is GERWALK. "Change to gerwalk mode". If he says "change to destroid mode", remember that there are humanoid destroids too like the spartan which have normal legs and this to me would be bloody confusing to the person. "Which destroid does he mean?" "The humanoid form or the gerwalk form?" I reason that it is best to differentiate between the gerwalk robot and the battroid robot.

As for the Glaug again the same logic applies: if you have a variable glaug (and there is one) with three mode transformation what do you think is the most obvious name to call it in its chicken legged mode?

Gerwalk of course. And that to me makes sense because the variable glaug has a humanoid mode as well as chicken leg mode.

So from now on anything that has three modes should go with:

1. Battroid for humanoid robots mode

2. Gerwalk for the reverse locomotive legged mode

3. fighter/bomber/shuttle whatever for its vehicle mode

to avoid confusion. Now that I am used to calling non-valk three transformation robots battroid gerwalk and fighter, it has stuck in my mind because it makes the most sense. Anyway kawamori gets the final say since he is the guy who designs them so no point arguing over it.

But if it is just a regular monster calling it gerwalk shouldn't be a hard rule since that is the only mode it has. (no confusion, so no need to differentiate it with other modes) I only call it gerwalk because of the way they legs look. The way the glaug moves is very similar to the way the vf1's gerwalk mode's legs move. Given that humans have melded designs with the zentradi I can see the two races wanting to name anything with locomotive legs as a gerwalk just as a 'nickname' more than a official name. Even robots that do not relate to macross or have mechs with only 1 mode (the chicken legged look) I still have a habit of calling gerwalk. It is sorta like calling the yf21 a "variable Qrau" just because it takes its looks like a qrau but is really closer to being a valk.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I can except the nickname theory, but really a gerwalk needs to have some kind of wing, afterall GERWALK is an Acronym for: Ground Effect Reinforced Wing w/ Articulated Locomotive Kneejoint. From that we show that the vehicle must have a lift capable wing, that is in ground effect (less then a wingspan from the ground) and a locomotive knee joint. Hence the VB-6 and variable glaug do not have true Gerwalk modes, heck neither one should have had a battroid mode either when you think about it. If anythign the VGlaug should have had "battlepod" mode, and the VB-6 an "Artillery mode". Now would crews still call it Gerwalk, probably, but that would be an incorrect statement on their parts.

You're right Knight 26 about the gerwalk mode needing some kind of wing. Because when you think about it, "walk" in gerwalk means that the VF should solely and only walk in this mode even though you rarely see the VF's do this. Most of the time you see them flying around or hovering in this mode, but rarely do you see them walk.

You're right Knight 26 about the gerwalk mode needing some kind of wing. Because when you think about it, "walk" in gerwalk means that the VF should solely and only walk in this mode even though you rarely see the VF's do this. Most of the time you see them flying around or hovering in this mode, but rarely do you see them walk.

385312[/snapback]

You're missing the point Phalanx, yes Valks should be able, and are seen "walking" in gerwalk, M0 shows this really well, but the term GERWALK is an acronym. Which I will repeat here:

Ground

Effect

Reinforced

Wing w/

Articulated

Locomotive

Kneejoint

So, like I said in order for a craft to be a true GERWALK it needs to have a wing and legs. The legs are not so much for walking, though they do allow it, but to provide just enough thrust to keep the craft moving so that ground effect keeps the wing producing lift at an airspeed that it would normally not allow for. WIG, or Wing In Ground effect aircraft are very popular in russia especially for ferrying cargo over water since they are fast and due to ground effect can carry alot more weight then one would normally think. I hope that explination was not too technical for anyone here.

Oh now I see, I just looked at the word to literally straight forward and assumed that aircraft should "walk" around on the ground only and not for something else. But now I get what you're saying.

Hey Knight26, you work at Edwards AFB? My friend bought a big piece of land that came with a small little cabin near Edwards. I can't remember the name of the town but it's the one with the Charlie Brown's. Man that place is depressing. I'd hang myself if I had to live there. What the hell do people do there for fun? Meth?

Hey Knight26, you work at Edwards AFB?  My friend bought a big piece of land that came with a small little cabin near Edwards.  I can't remember the name of the town but it's the one with the Charlie Brown's.  Man that place is depressing.  I'd hang myself if I had to live there.  What the hell do people do there for fun?  Meth?

385385[/snapback]

you'd be surprised, I've heard of some weird stories coming out of there...

The CHarlie Browns down in Little Rock, that is a depressing town. I live in Rosamond, and BTW after the Edwards Air Show I plan to have an unofficial MW BBQ for any attendees. And yes there is a lot of drug use up here in the AV, mostly because people are stupid and don't know what to do with themselves otherwise.