Caught a burglar red-handed in my house!

Burglars make my blood boil. :angry:

My house was broken in for the first time in twenty over years. I guess that made us complacent, because we never secured all the locks. In any case, the burglar(s) went after the door (the weak point), rather than the locks.

I lost at least five years of red packets and most of my cash. :( Blame it on my laziness to bank them in. The sum was significant enough (to me), but the physicological impact was far greater. For example, $2k may not sound much, but if you consider that it's over ten years of saving (during student days), it's a lot.

It's best to get a third party to help you see the flaws in your home security, and never use analog cordless phone! (I believe this was how they knew we were away -- for the next 1-1/2 hours. The whole house was turned upside down in that time.)

Edited by nhyone

Well at least things worked out well.  Our burglar alarm (Jawa) is in canine bootcamp now so I'm a bit concerned about our simple 'locks'.  Our other two dogs are big wussies and wouldn't scare anyone.

I've found that it's not whether or not they'll do anything. It's whether or not people THINK they will.

Scariest dog we ever had was elderly, arthritic, lost an eye to cancer, and had bad teeth.

She scared people far worse then than she ever did in her prime, when she might have actually hurt them.

People fear large dogs. A friendly large dog is better security than a mean small dog.

Of course, right now we have the best combo. A friendly(and cowardly) large dog to draw their attention while the mean small dog draws their blood.

Edited by JB0

I don't get all these recommendations to "pummel" him. Sure the punk deserved it, but by doing so you're only giving him an excuse to sue you for assault and take money from you legally.

Anyone remember that Married With Children episode? ;)

My karate teacher used to advise me that it isn't self-defense until your bruised or bleading, in simplistic legal terms, for most areas.

Honestly, though, despite this cation philosophy(I mean yeah, a GC's only 100) there should be repect for defending one's property - it's a basic American belief(life, liberty, property) And when people think they can get away with it is when it happens the most. If criminals know you're going to kick the living bejebus out of them, at least they won't come back.

As much as I want to pat you on the back and hand you a cigar the Sergent was very right to remind you of the dangers. Seeing as I hang out with so many cops I might as well be one here are two stories from the state of Missouri that should make you cringe a little (and everyone else too):

Guy wakes up in the middle of the night to discover his house is being burglarized. He immediately goes over to his closet and gets out his 12 gauge shotgun and proceeds downstairs as his wife dials 911. Now depending on who's story you believe the scene ended up with two burglars shot dead... not just dead but litterally to pieces, the guy's entire living room shot up like a shooting gallery and they guy himself wounded in the stomach from a .32. Who shot first? Who shot last? That was for the police and courts to decide. Months later the case ended up like this: The homeowner was aquitted of all wrongdoing in his shotgun blazing defense of his home but ended up with serious health problems from his injuries... then another month or so later he was sued by both burglar's families for wrongful death. The attorneys put all their cards on the guy's use of a shotgun to "defend" himself with and the jury saw it their way. The guy was found viable with two counts of wrongful death on the grounds he "used innapropriate lethal force recklessly to subdue the plaintiff's" (or so said the verdict) and had to pay them tens of thousands of dollars as well as legal fees, yadda, yadda, yadda to the point that his own medical bills from the incident went unpaid.

The second story is almost the reverse of the above but with equally crappy consequences. A man and a woman come home after an evening out to discover their house is being ransacked by two to three individuals. The man tells his wife to go to the neighbors and call the police (this happened before cell phones if that dates it at all) as he goes into his house to try and keep the burglars pinned down. As he enters the home he is immediately shot dead center in the chest... by his own handgun. The man had suposedly left his gun unlocked, loaded and in a dresser drawer which was very easy for the burglars to find. They apparently heard him coming to the door and fumbling with the lock and took the opportunity to dispatch him rather than run. Now for the really sad part... his wife, hearing the gunshot, runs back over to their house and enters the same door her husband came in. It can only be assumed she saw his body and turned to run as she was then promptly shot in the back by the same gun. Long story short: burglars vanished into the night in a vehicle that was only vaguely described to the police by the neighbors, leaving behind the murder weapon which had no fingerprints on it and taking with them the wallet of the man they had just shot... as well as most of their valuables. Both the man and his wife were DOA when the cops and paramedics arrived and to this day the case is unsolved.

So my point being: Nice job catching the theif but always remember that that theif could be armed to the teeth and dispatching him may or may not leave you the "good guy" in the end. The laws and legal system of america have been warped to such a point that the victims become the criminals and vice versa. Always think before you leap, you can replace things but you cannot replace people.

seriously, the law is so messed up in this area...

criminal breaks into your house:

slips on a rug, can sue you.

cuts his hand on the glass he broke to get in, can sue you.

you catch him and hit him, he can sue you.

you shoot him but don't kill him, he can sue you.

you don't have a warning posted on your property that you have a dog, and he gets bit by said dog, he can sue you.

how completely messed up is this?

my story, our next door neighbor's dumb brat kid WATCHED some guys rob our house. I wanted to strangle that kid...

While it is good that he got arrested and all, I'd reccomend not doing that in the future (I'd also not reccomend using more force than necessary as they could sue you, and even though they probably wouldn't win anything, lawyers are expensive). I've known two people that had family members killed by resisting burglars.

A few years ago I saw someone breaking into a car in front of my building. Called the cops (they guy moved on) and like 5 minutes later there were half a dozen cops in front of my building with the guy. Fortunately everything was recovered.

Glad you and your wife are ok and your 1/48 collection was unharmed :lol:

Just as others in this thread have said, you did take a big risk as the kid could well have been armed and you could have ended up shot or stabbed....not good. Luckily this time it had a happy ending.

Personally, I'd recommended buying a quality home defence firearm and make sure you get the training how to use it and practice as well (very important). If you are unlucky enough to have another buglar, the safest plan is to barricade (lock) yourself and your wife in your bedroom, which should be fitted with a reinforced door and call the cops from there. Of course the bedroom should have it's own phone line. The firearm is basically for defending yourself only if the badguys are breaking down your bedroom door, not for going out to hunt them down with. It's never a good idea trying to confront buglars or home invaders and no personal property is worth risking your life over, not even a Low Vis 1/48 :p

If your are uncomfortable with firearms in the home for whatever reason, invest in some OC Pepper Spray or a few strategically placed baseball bats around the house is probably better then nothing.

Graham

most times a simple adt sign would keep the petty thieves out. a professional burgular said the pros do not want a confrontation. so if some one stumbled on the "at work" they just bolt. he said the druggies are the ones to worry about because they can and have killed to get thier fix.

Sorry man but in my oppinion no are nothing bt a VERY lucky guy.

The burglar tuned to be a kid, and a wimp, you should be thankfull.

Otherwise you should be injured (seriuosly) or dead... with a pregnant woman...

To confront a burglar is really stupid without a gun, and if that happens that happens you have two ways... run away for help / hide or to shoot down /beat to dead the burglar.

Is good to see you and youre wife are Ok, but I think you should control a bit better your reactions cowboy. :lol:

The only problem is that almost all of the common theives you will encounter in life are not professionals. Most of the time they are the ilk that will shoot you twice without thinking about it, if they have not pawned that gun yet. Having been a victim of an armed robbery in college were a good friend of mine was killed right in front of me I am a firm believer in the "give them what they want, let them take what they want and only act when your life is threatened" policy. If my friend had not tried to fight the robber he would be alive today.

The thing to remember is the hard core "professional" theives pick their targets in respect to the risk involved and the payoff. Why rob a suburban home, apartment or a condo (like mine) when you can only make off with so much stuff... the professionals hit big targets like businesses and stores, places they can haul off thousands of dollars of loot. It's the crack heads and meth freaks breaking your rear door window to steal your DVD player you have to watch out for... you can even light them up with a 9mm and sometimes they won't go down. :(

wow all good advice around. Yes I think we all have that romaticized idea of being the hero, even I do at some times. Thankfully I have yet to confront anyone and maybe my aspirations will do me more harm than good. Lets jsut hope my rational mind kicks in.

Here is another story that has a good ending and some funniness to it. My girlfriend's good friend (who introduced me to my girlfriend) her name is Linna. Her boyfriend, Craig went out of his apt to get the mail. In terms of apts go it is a relatively short distance. This mexican guy confronts Craig, who has never met him before. the mexican begins asking "Do we have a problem" and Craig being a mellow kind of guy says "No" and walks away. The mexican runs up and kicks Craig in the ass, literally. Craig turns around to find a fist in the face. Craig's nose is broken and bleeding. He grapples the mexican to the ground. The mexican manages to pull Craig's shirt over Craig's head. While trying to bite Craig's nipples. No joke. Linna hears wrestling noises and heads outside barefoot. She tries to kick the mexican but she is timid and weak. She tries to re-enter the apt but Craig's roommate, who is Japanese and constantly lectures Craig about his role as a man in a relationship and how it is Bushido (the way of the warrior), is now cowering behind and barring the door to the apt. Regardless of Linna screaming to let her in he doesnt budge. The mexican manages to escape. Later we found out the mexican has been going around and starting fights with random people over nothing. He was caught later that night.

Excellent work!

I'd have lit the kid up too, but at least you got the satisfaction of seeing him grovel before you. :lol: Sure changes their "courage" level when they get caught doesn't it :lol:

Wow, guess I kind of set my self up for multiple lectures. :p

Like I said, it was kind of a spur of the moment situation. When I first saw the perp, for a second I thought it was a family member. By the time I reached the porch, I realized it was not.

I've already said that in retrospect I should have been more careful. We were indeed very lucky that nobody got hurt. JsArcslight is right, you can replace things but not people.

I don't consider not beating him a "hippie" reaction, merely the intelligent choice. Nothing really would have been gained from kicking his ass, except a complicated police report and some expensive lawyers. Nor would it have been necessary. Had my pregnant wife been in the room, maybe I'd reacted differently. Plus the cops showed up INCREDIBLY FAST, 4-5 minutes tops. My first words to them were "God DAMN you guys are fast!"

I found out today that my next door neighbor, who came out during the tail end of the confrontation, had a loaded pistol in his pocket. I'm glad he didn't pull it out and point it right as the cops showed up!

As far as the thief "learning his lesson", I'm sure the experience of getting arrested and spending the night in jail will leave impression enough. If it doesn't, he'll no doubt repeat the process!

Graham - It's funny, I am seriously considering a handgun now, despite my strong beliefs otherwise. Funny what a little scare will do to amplify your sense of familial protection! :D

Imagine if a stray bullet were to strike my Low-Vis! I'd dive in front of it to save it! :D

Try not to see us as lecturers but as folks who may have been there at one point and are simply offering advice on how to survive an encounter. :p

As for owning a nice defensive handgun, I myself see it as a good investment. Be you gun nut or limp-wrist owning and knowing how to operate a firearm could be something that saves your life some day. Most states have classes and instructors willing to teach you all you need to know and most common quality defensive handguns can be bought for less than $400 at reputable gun stores. Think of a gun as a tool... it has it's uses and it's hazzards. If you get one follow safety instructions and also have everyone in the house who is of age trained in it's operation. There could come the day that your wife is in a spot and needs the defensive edge.

As for the use of a weapon to defend yourself from a burgler, keep this in mind. When the cops show up they point their guns at you as all they see is a guy holding a gun on another guy. So be prepared to have some explaining to do when the police show up if you use a gun to defend yourself and also be calm when dealing with firearms, bad guys and the police. Getting all ramped up and emotional clouds your thinking and your aim... but stress reacts on people differently. In that case RUN!

Based on the outcome of the ordeal, I think we all can say "Great Job". However, as you pointed out, you should not take the risk next time. It often is difficult to control your emotion when you see someone steling your property, but, hey it is just that "A personal Property".

Just as a side note on gun owing. I like guns. I know how to use it very well and have use it in various situations.

However, non law enforcements owing it, even if they are professionally trained..... Hmmmm, it is difficult issue......... but I have to disagree and say that owing the gun for home protection is practically useless. Most public citizens are not suited for combat fighting (There is no training to prepare you for the heart stummping ordeal during the combat. And as a result, it usually ends in accidential shotting rather than stopping the intended target. Also two example to remeber,

1. If you had the gun and you were to use it on the suspect and injure or kill the suspect. You the home owner can be liable for civil and crimianl matter. (Assumng that the suspect was not arm or attacking you).

2. If you had the gun place somewhere inside the house to be used in case of home investion. In this scnerio, the buglar might have found the gun before you did and might have use it against you or someone else. That will be tragidy.

Anyways, I know I will get diferent view points from other members. I just hope that others will give pros and cons of woning a gun for home protection and not turn this thread into gun advocate VS other.

Graham - It's funny, I am seriously considering a handgun now, despite my strong beliefs otherwise. Funny what a little scare will do to amplify your sense of familial protection! :D

I'm the same way. Not much of a handgun fan - though I do have a few hunting shotguns - I bought a house stuck on the outside edge of a wonderful old rich neighborhood. Unfortunately that outside edge is what we call "funkytown" if you know what I mean. We're basically keeping the border for lotsa rich folks who make sure our property value stays excellent.

Anyway, professional or amateur theives would love nothing more than to go in, get your stuff and leave before you know what happened. Most of them have no desire to fight, shoot you and earn an additional 10 years in jail, or brave a mean dog.

Luckily I've got two excellent dogs... but I'm buying my first 9mm in a few weeks. It's better to be safe than sorry.

You got really lucky, Majestic. I'm glad your story didn't end tragically. But I'd be a bit less Rambo next time, if I was you. You got a baby coming, dude.

However, non law enforcements owing it, even if they are professionally trained..... Hmmmm, it is difficult issue......... but I have to disagree and say that owing the gun for home protection is practically useless. Most public citizens are not suited for combat fighting (There is no training to prepare you for the heart stummping ordeal during the combat. And as a result, it usually ends in accidential shotting rather than stopping the intended target.

I'd have to completely disagree with you that civilians owning a gun for home protection or defence is practically useless. However, proper training, the correct mindset, a lot of practice, not to mention a good dolop of common sense and a cool head is recommended as well.

I'm a big supporter of civilian gun ownership, but I do feel that mandatory training is a must and should be fairly comprehensive, as I've seen too many examples of extremely unsafe gun handling from untrained or poorly trained people.

There are several good shooting schools, especially within the US that can teach the skills necessary to be victorious should you be unlucky enough to become involved in an armed confrontation. Gunsite and Thunder Ranch are two that spring to mind.

Also, some of the shooting sports such as IDPA and IPSC, which has it's roots in combat shooting (although is now a bit too gamey for my tastes) are very good training for teaching you to shoot fast and acurately at multiple targets and moving targets at different ranges, while moving, shooting from behind cover etc.

I'd even go as far to say that the average IPCS/IDPA competetor is a far better shooter than most cops, for the simple reason that they are firearms enthusiast and practice a heck of a lot more, whereas most cops are not really gun people and view a gun as a tool only. The only time many cops practice is at the mandatory quarterly qualifications, whereas a lot of IDPA/IPSC shooters may shoot several hundred to several thousand rounds a week. Shooting is a perishable skill and without constant practice, which most law enforcement personal do not have enough of, skills decline.

I'm only a fair to good shooter (been shooting IPSC for about 10 years on and off), but at a Glock Instructors course which we hosted back in year 2000 for the local Anti-Terrorist team, I was able to shoot as well as or better than most of them with a handgun. Of course, they were much better than me with their MP5s though :D .

Graham

Glad to hear that you and your family came out unscathed. You are very fortunate. I agree with alot of JsARCLIGHT's comments. No material possesion you own or will ever own is worth risking your life or the life of others for. You only have one life, it can't replaced. That punk kid wouldn't be worth potential legal fees if you roughed him up as others seemed to suggest. I really don't care for handguns but, to each his own. I think there mere presence exponentially adds deadly uncontrollable variables into any intrusion scenario. Cid makes some great points as well. Most firearms owners that I've known don't properly store or seal way their weapons as much as they like to think. I live in Tx and in any given week you hear story's of kids getting into their parents stash and accidently shooting themselves or their friends. Just food for thought since your now starting a family.

Well done!

Yeah, despite what the officer said (and he's probably right) the first guy that steps into MY house and tries to take my stuff just took his own life on contract (and I'm not gonna call the police until I'm good and finished with him)

aren't you a cop? :unsure::lol:

was. :) That doesn't mean I'm not a red-blooded, privacy-loving american :D

I turned in my badge and moved into the private security/investigations industry when I went to college (as a full-time student, I couldn't work a standard beat). Law-Enforcement was a distant second to my first love of music.

Wow, glad things worked out, majestic. Hopefully that kid will learn his lesson. It's tough to say what the proper thing to do. Material things can easily be replaced but you don't want to let people get away with raiding your home and you have to protect your family.

I'm a little nervous having a gun in the house. It would be cool to go shoot at a range and it would be a little comforting to have some stopping power. But all it takes is one mistake or one brainless act by one of my kids to ruin my whole life. I know you can teach kids how to use a gun and not to touch it but c'mon, we were all stupid kids at one point. I knew fire was bad but that didn't stop me from playing with it.

As I said in my post, firearms are tools which can be beneficial or hazzardous depending on how you see them. Being someone who has been around weapons in one way or another since I was a child they are basically like a hammer or a bench lathe to me now. However misuse of a hammer or a bench lathe can kill you just like a firearm. I advise against having firearms in the house with small children without keeping a close watch on the weapon. JawJaw is perfectly right in that children are a bad mix with firearms. Even the most mature child is not capable of understanding the nuances of the use of a firearm or the reprocussions of it's use. Locking it up in a safe lockable case with a key lock and putting it high in a closet does not in any way diminish your ability to access it in a time of need for the most part. My G21 has one of those glocklock combination magazines in it in my nightstand next to my bed. I and my wife are the only ones that know the combination to use the pistol in case of emergency. Most times you will need to use a firearm for home defense will be at night when you are in your bedroom and the buglars are out in the house somewhere.

Use of weapons for defense is just personal preference. I myself and my wife have a nice history of training and drilling with weapons and being in a few hairy situations feel confident in our ability to handle a firearm in a hostile environment... but as a last resort only. When you are in combat and everything is shooting off all around you it is easy to justify discharging your weapon, but not when it is a one on one domestic engagement like confronting a theif. You are better off using a door lock and a phone then you are using a firearm. The firearm should be the last line of defense only, if used propperly and responsibly a pistol can save your life just like a life vest or climbing harness.

Firearm safety, just like confronting a theif, requires a firm mental state and calm nerves which only come from experience and training... something most people never bother to learn when they buy a weapon. As Graham said, a firearm is a big responsability not to be taken lightly. Because stupid or untrained people + firearms = disaster almost all of the time. I only wish all gun owners had the clarity and responsability to follow that line of logic... the world would actually be a safer place. After all, it is the person that screws up you should fear and not the weapon.

I seriously have no sympathy whatsoever when it comes to thieves! They are the scum of the Earth and need to be eliminated, especially the kind that take the time to break into your house or car, and go through your stuff with the firm intention of taking your stuff you worked to buy. If it were me, guy in my house stealing my stuff, that's cause enough to BLOW HIM AWAY!!!! if he's in your house, all you have to do is make sure he's dead when the cops arrive.

"he broke in officer, attempted to rob us, we came home in the middle of it, he threatened us, I shot him dead." He cant rebutt it....because he's DEAD!!! ...and he desereves it.

Guy wakes up in the middle of the night to discover his house is being burglarized. He immediately goes over to his closet and gets out his 12 gauge shotgun and proceeds downstairs as his wife dials 911. Now depending on who's story you believe the scene ended up with two burglars shot dead... not just dead but litterally to pieces, the guy's entire living room shot up like a shooting gallery and they guy himself wounded in the stomach from a .32. Who shot first? Who shot last? That was for the police and courts to decide. Months later the case ended up like this: The homeowner was aquitted of all wrongdoing in his shotgun blazing defense of his home but ended up with serious health problems from his injuries... then another month or so later he was sued by both burglar's families for wrongful death. The attorneys put all their cards on the guy's use of a shotgun to "defend" himself with and the jury saw it their way. The guy was found viable with two counts of wrongful death on the grounds he "used innapropriate lethal force recklessly to subdue the plaintiff's" (or so said the verdict) and had to pay them tens of thousands of dollars as well as legal fees, yadda, yadda, yadda to the point that his own medical bills from the incident went unpaid.

The problem with US laws: They are too easy on criminals. If you are a criminal on my property, you have relinquished all rights. If the two guys weren't burglars, they wouldn't have been shot to death. Action and consequence, simple as that.

Pity I wasn't on the jury, I would have been for that guy, regardless of the force used to stop the burglars. He was freaking shot too. I guess he couldn't counter sue for medical fees and disability?

I'm all for crime prevention as opposed to criminal rehabilitation. Make harsher laws and fewer people will entertain criminal thoughts. I hate criminals more than I hate dumb people.

vinnie

The problem with US laws: They are too easy on criminals. If you are a criminal on my property, you have relinquished all rights. If the two guys weren't burglars, they wouldn't have been shot to death. Action and consequence, simple as that.

Pity I wasn't on the jury, I would have been for that guy, regardless of the force used to stop the burglars. He was freaking shot too. I guess he couldn't counter sue for medical fees and disability?

I'm all for crime prevention as opposed to criminal rehabilitation. Make harsher laws and fewer people will entertain criminal thoughts. I hate criminals more than I hate dumb people.

vinnie

i agree with you on every point vinnie.

someone breaks into your house, its not up to you to figure out if he's armed or not. Your house is the ONE PLACE ON EARTH you should be safe from these scum, and if they are breaking in, they better come with serious firepower because you should be able to bring the F-ing gates of hell on these bastards.

unfortunately, law abiding citizens arn't allowed to equipt themselves the way law breakers are. ironicly, the guys breaking the laws are the ones who don't care about the gun laws, they become the powerful ones. now a days even most police officers are outgunned because people seem to think that restricting people who arn't breaking the law anyway is going to affect people who could give a flying fart if their gun is illegal. but people don't understand that concept.

every time some gangsta kills a cop with a high powered machine gun, the laws get tighter for the lawful people while the law breakers continue to have free reign over their illigal guns.

its stupid.

also, i applaud you for takeing on that crook, if people knew the average man was as agressive for defending his freedom and rights as the crackheads are about stealing dvd players, then there would be alot less crime.

i can't believe we live in a society where people are told to cave in the instant someone wants our stuff. F that.

BAADASSSSS!!

You should have killed him... Nothin better than to kill a man and watch him die.

Upon pondering my initial response I am really dissapointed in you... You totally could have beaten him to death and you would have been excused... You pooch screwed the opportunity.

vinnie

i agree with you on every point vinnie.

someone breaks into your house, its not up to you to figure out if he's armed or not. Your house is the ONE PLACE ON EARTH you should be safe from these scum, and if they are breaking in, they better come with serious firepower because you should be able to bring the F-ing gates of hell on these bastards.

unfortunately, law abiding citizens arn't allowed to equipt themselves the way law breakers are. ironicly, the guys breaking the laws are the ones who don't care about the gun laws, they become the powerful ones. now a days even most police officers are outgunned because people seem to think that restricting people who arn't breaking the law anyway is going to affect people who could give a flying fart if their gun is illegal. but people don't understand that concept.

every time some gangsta kills a cop with a high powered machine gun, the laws get tighter for the lawful people while the law breakers continue to have free reign over their illigal guns.

its stupid.

also, i applaud you for takeing on that crook, if people knew the average man was as agressive for defending his freedom and rights as the crackheads are about stealing dvd players, then there would be alot less crime.

i can't believe we live in a society where people are told to cave in the instant someone wants our stuff. F that.

See that is why Asia is almost an eden. Unless Graham can refute this. It is extremely rare for Asian gangs to really have a gun. Only the Yakuza or HK triads, or other such equally powerful gang can have access or the funds to buy a gun. That is why you have other forms of violence like knife/machette fights baseball bats and such.

Well, if he had broke into my home, I probably would have shot him full of holes. And just as Grahm suggested, my bedroom is my sanctuary to go if something bad goes down. My gun safe is right next to my bed and I can open it rather swiftly. But... since I live in the Peoples' Republic of Maryland, I would have probably gone to jail if I shot the little punk.

However, nice job on subduing the crook. At least fortune smiled on you and the perpetrator didn't have a knife or gun to hurt you or your wife. Hopefully the kid was scared enough never to do it again and will turn his life around.

Good job. As a law enforcement officer myself, I commend you...but yes, also admit that could have been a different outcome if it wasn't just a scared youngster.

And in the US, as well as most of the world, as "right as it seems", you can't shoot someone just because they invaded your home. Even if they attacked you, you'd do what you have to do...but the laws will make you responsible for your actions, sorry to say. Not worth it. I've seen it before.

BAADASSSSS!!

You should have killed him... Nothin better than to kill a man and watch him die.

Upon pondering my initial response I am really dissapointed in you... You totally could have beaten him to death and you would have been excused... You pooch screwed the opportunity.

I think your "guns" are going to your head AgentOne. :rolleyes:

See that is why Asia is almost an eden. Unless Graham can refute this. It is extremely rare for Asian gangs to really have a gun. Only the Yakuza or HK triads, or other such equally powerful gang can have access or the funds to buy a gun. That is why you have  other forms of violence like knife/machette fights baseball bats and such.

Thankfully, HK is a very safe city and we have very few crimes involving firearms. There are probably only a couple of armed bank or jewellery store robberies a year here and a lot of the time the bad guys are carrying imitation (airsoft) firearms, not the real thing.

It's not particulaly difficult or expensive for criminals to get fireams if they want them, as stolen PLA (Chinese Army) firearms can be smuggled across the border from mainland China pretty easily and bought cheaply.

However, it's pretty rare for Triad gangs to use firearms here. Don't believe everything you see in HK movies :p Triads are businessmen, with their main businesses being pirating movies and software, prostitution and smuggling. Having mass shootouts in the streets is bad for business.

However, back in the early 1990s, we did have quite a few big shootouts in the streets with ex-military criminal gangs using AK-47 rifles coming from mainland China to perform bank robberies in HK. Thankfully that doesn't happen these days.

In HK you can walk pretty much anywhere you want at anytime of the day or night wihout fear. Although there have recently been quite a few cases of poor mainland immigrants robbing hikers in country parks.

Of course we do have crime just like every other country, but according to the annual police report just released crime is down 7.5% from last year (read story here), except I think for the number of pickpocketing cases and rapes which are slightly higher.

Graham