opinion: deaths in anime

I found Wolfwod's death unnecessary, almost wasteful. I wasn't happy. Kind of ruined the show for me.

Some good ones, I'll avoid the obvious Macross examples:

The story arc in Full Metal Panic where Sosuke is with a squad in the Desert tracking Gauron. Each of them are killed by Gauron while Sosuke is fighting his former friend. Very tragic, and then his friend's death follows after. It's a good mement where Sosuke is the only one left as he walks the desert dragging the recovered nuke. The music fit the entire episode perfect.

Mwu in Gundam Seed. Didn't want to see him go, but he went out with some style, shielding the Archangel.

Anavel Gato's end in Gundam 0083 was also pretty cool, diving into the Fed fleet.

The surprising number of deaths in Fushigi Yugi were also handled very well, very touchingly.

Gendo's end in EoE was quite appropriate.

A stupid death was Tolle in Gundam Seed. Saw that one coming a mile away. He had to have known the missles he shot at thr Aegis wouldn't have done anything, IF they connected, which they didn't. He then takes a shield to the cockpit.

I have yet to see a more heroic death than Guld's. except for Helgensagen Vom Kosmoneif's *spoilerwarning*

Sigfrieg Kircheis's death is particulary tragic and terrible. You don't see it coming at all (although the episode before is about how kircheis moderated Reignhart Von Musel's tyrannic tendencies), but the way it was portrayed you thought it was going to end up as a political duel between him and Oberstein for Reighnhart's ear, not his sudden death in stopping an assassination attempt.

Lets not forget some of the saddest deaths of them all from Now and Then, Here and There

Spoilers--

Spoilers-- When almost all the main characters get killed near the end, Boo, Sis, Nabuca, Tabur. What a depressing (although very appropriate) way to end such a good anti-war anime.

I'll admit it, I cried when Boo got shot. They were all just kids forced against their will into the bloodlust of Hamdo. What was Boo, like 6 or 7 years old?

Edited by joke-machine

I think it's pretty much obvious by the name of the thread alone that this is going to be spoiler-filled, so we probably don't need spoiler warnings in all the posts.

Thread like this, put it in the title, then it's nice and easy.

i dunno, but the most horrible one i have ever seen is the death of the Little girl (i forget her name) in Grave of the Fireflies. damn, that was a depressing ass movie. the way thier mom dies is horrible and the ending is not great either. made me wanna shoot myself while sobbing like a 3 year old with a scraped knee.

i can also appreciate the way Norris (i think was his name) in 08th team goes out, fighting Shiro.

as far as stupid, the way dumb ass Goku dies and comes back every damn time. that is pretty damn lame.

i can't think of a funny one.

In my opinion, the worst "sucks to be you death" had to be that poor general in Gundam Wing that got dropped out of an airplane at 30,000 and THEN was shot in the head on his way down by Lady Unne....

you literally have to stop and ask yourself "damn woman, what the hell is WRONG with you???"

Guld's death may be heroic, but Spike's on Cowboy Bebop was the most surprising and sad.

Yeah... but you saw it coming. Especially after Julia dies.... I think that is one of the stupidest(her death- "Oh... there's no cover and people are shooting at me... I'd better run out in the open.").

However.. for cool factor... nothing beats Zabusa for me. Both arms made useless by Kakashi's kunai... he takes a kunai from Naruto, puts it in his mouth and kills a bunch of mercs ... finally slicing through them to kill his ex-employer that abandoned him.

"When we're both in Hell, I'll show you what kind of devil I can be!"

Anyone that can have Kakashi at a standstill = badass.

Oh and Gendo's was appropriate... but I have to wonder... I think he ended up happy in the end. He was with Yui... for quite possibly eternity which was his goal all along. Plus he realized the error of his ways... I think he gained redemption in a crunchy way. :)

I'd say that Hayato's death in ZZ Gundam was pretty damn pointless. He returns for all of one episode, then crashes his Dodai Kai. Meanwhile, not a single one of the annoying "main" characters gets so much as a scratch for the entire run of the series. Thanks a lot, Tomino. You've raped my childhood.

Best - Scirocco in Zeta Gundam. Is it an impaling or a crushing? Either way he didn't go without leaving a mark.

Worst - Misato in Evangelion. So sad to see such a babe go.

Funniest - Kenny from South Park, without a doubt.

Stupidest - Garma Zabi from Mobile Suit Gundam. Ever heard of ejection seat or escape pod?

Gotto go with Max for best death, since Zabusa absolutely rules.

And for Max (and other Naruto fans) here's a Zabusa tribute vid i'm pretty sure you'll appreciate which completely reaffirms the AWESOMENESS of his death:

Zabusa Tribute Video

It should be under the Music Vid section and it's the one at the bottom on the right.

Edited by wakobi

In my opinion, the worst "sucks to be you death" had to be that poor general in Gundam Wing that got dropped out of an airplane at 30,000 and THEN was shot in the head on his way down by Lady Unne....

you literally have to stop and ask yourself "damn woman, what the hell is WRONG with you???"

It was a mercy killin' The woman didn't want the guy to suffer too much on the way down. :D

By the way, these images are under the "In the wrong place at the wrong time" and "I got myself killed because my stupid sidekick is easily possessed" categories.

1.) AD Police officer, episode 3 of Original Bubblegum Crisis

2.) Yohko Mano, episode 5 of Mamono Hunter Yohko

animedeaths.gif

Edited by Noriko Takaya

It was a mercy killin' The woman didn't want the guy to suffer too much on the way down. :D

suffer? Its not the fall that kills you but the impact!

Gotto go with Max for best death, since Zabusa absolutely rules.

And for Max (and other Naruto fans) here's a Zabusa tribute vid i'm pretty sure you'll appreciate which completely reaffirms the AWESOMENESS of his death:

Zabusa Tribute Video

It should be under the Music Vid section and it's the one at the bottom on the right.

Awesome... everyone shoul check that vid out!

Zabusa is a badass in the GC game too! The only character that has defeated me, and my two room-mates was our friend with Zabusa. I came close with Sharingan Sasuke (one round won... ALMOST winning another).

We're looking into importing the PS2 game so I can play as Itachi(MANGEKYOU SHARINGAN!)... but nobody can touch me with Sharingan Sasuke.... Sharingan Kakashi is fun too though(the ability to copy non-bloodline super moves is awesome...and humorous especially when he copies Sakura's [inner Kakashi owns]).

Best Death : Akane's death in Saikano....how heart wrenching was it?

Worst Death: Dio in Last Exile. WTF??! One of the main antagonists and he dies with a gust of wind. :angry:

well worst deaths macross wise would have to be Fokker and guild, funniest macross death without a doubt is Kakizaki in DYRL "omoshiro... *Dead*"

Non macross stupidest death for me would have to be Gai Daigoji from Kidou Senkan Nadesico. I understand that with him around Nadesico would have turned out much diffrently .but damn he was like the best charicter in the show, and he had to go so early,in such a pointless death ;.;. I know nadesico is a parody,but still give the man, one last fight to do some ass kicking.

As for Gundam, in alot of cases i have to say one word: ejection seat. especally in 0083, South Burning(i think thats the name of the commander of Kou's Unit) had plenty of time to get the hell out of that GM before it blew if memory serves me right.

Alright Roy Focker(fokker) aside what are your picks for best, worst, stupidest, and funniest deaths in anime?

Best

Bodolza sitting there helpless in DYRL while Hikaru just totaly unloaded on him.

Worst

Wolfwood's, totally killed Trigun for me.

Funniest

Everyone who blew-up in Fist of the North Star.

Well, the suit was damaged partially(not to the point whare he knew it was going to blow,true) if memory serves me right, but in that case,you would think he would do a full syestems check or something. But of cource this being anime,that kinda logic doesnt occur, and there had to be covienient plot point,whare he just happeend to be reading teh big plans,then boom.

I can understand some folks being pissed that some character dies in a really crappy way but that happens a lot in real life. So my picks are my three all time "you have to be SH!TING me" deaths anime, by that I mean characters that died and you just went ballistic and almost broke the disc:

1. Wolfwood in Trigun. He was the only reason I watched that stupid show and when they killed him off I turned off the disc and sold it it pissed me off so much. I loathe Trigun to this day thanks to that ham-fisted bumfuggle of writing. :angry:

2. The Wife of the main character in Windaria. When that movie ended the way it did I should not have been suprised that she was dead... everyone else on the freaking planet was! But for some reason that movie just loved to twist the knife on you and make you feel generally upbeat and positive. <_<

3. Yamagata in Akira. Totally cliche, very predictable and to be honest not all that unexpected when it happens but the fact that you never see him die and it is Tetsuo that kills him really pisses you off just as much as it did Kaneda and Kai. Yes Yama was an arrogant asswipe punk but he was funny as hell.

Non macross stupidest death for me would have to be Gai Daigoji from Kidou Senkan Nadesico. I understand that with him around Nadesico would have turned out much diffrently .but damn he was like the best charicter in the show, and he had to go so early,in such a pointless death ;.;. I know nadesico is a parody,but still give the man, one last fight to do some ass kicking.

The fact that his death was un-heroic and pointless is the whole point. If it had been otherwise, then it wouldn't have made sense. Also, Nadesico isn't really a parody; it's a satire.

Sigfrieg Kircheis's death is particulary tragic and terrible. You don't see it coming at all (although the episode before is about how kircheis moderated Reignhart Von Musel's tyrannic tendencies), but the way it was portrayed you thought it was going to end up as a political duel between him and Oberstein for Reighnhart's ear, not his sudden death in stopping an assassination attempt.

The catch phrase for the rest of the series is "If only Kircheis were alive." I agree his death is tragic and in many ways defines much of the story.

And since we're spoiling Galactic Heroes, Yang's death is the one that really got me choked up. He was such a great character and how they did that episode made it incredibly heart breaking. Lohengram's death was almost anti-climatic and the emotinal impact it should have had gets kind of lost in the show's ending. Reuentahl's, on the other hand, is very well done as he is probably the true tragic hero (in the classical sense) of the series.

For other shows, I'll second Giant Robo (No, not Genrei!!).

Spike's, in Cowboy Bebop, was dramatically appropriate; it was foreshadowed from the very beginning and was the only way for things to end.

I'll also give a seond to Fushigi Yuugi's death scenes.

And who could forget Smith Torren (now if only the real Torren Smith would meet up with some space monsters...).

And who could forget Smith Torren (now if only the real Torren Smith would meet up with some space monsters...).

Smith Torren? Yes, his death was tragic because Noriko at the time was too insecure to be in combat. What about Jung-Freud's poor wingman, Linda Yamamoto? Out of all of Gunbuster, hers was the only death you actually got to see. You can classify her death as, "If I only had my own mecha, this wouldn't have happened to me".

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Best death: tie between tassadar in starcraft and that drunk fighter pilot in independence day

Dumbest death: Asuka in EOE, any smart person wudve known when to call it quits and eject their damn entry plug, the MP EVA's probly wudve been too busy with 02 to even notice the entry plug.

Funniest death: animewise wud be Team Rocket in pokemon, everytime they are "blasting off again" there is no way they would survive the fall, so i like to imagine that they die every episode. but they still cant compare to kenny

By the way, these images are under the "In the wrong place at the wrong time" and "I got myself killed because my stupid sidekick is easily possessed" categories.

1.) AD Police officer, episode 3 of Original Bubblegum Crisis

2.) Yohko Mano, episode 5 of Mamono Hunter Yohko

animedeaths.gif

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

Devil Hunter Yohko dies in the anime? At the end? For real? For good?

Please let me know.

Anyway The end of Chrno Crusade. The most sad death I saw.