Doom 3 system requirements

Anubis

Despite the good reports, I wouldn't listen to talk about the alpha. It's just that; an alpha. I'm sure Carmack has changed the renderer since then, and has also made streamlines and optimizations. If you're unsure about how your system will do, the best thing is to just wait for the demo, which will be out shortly after the game is released.

All in all, this newer computer still cost me around 500 bucks.

Hey Radd, where do you buy gear that cheap? If I can build a decent system that cheap... it looks liek it will be upgrade time! :p

http://www.pricewatch.com/

http://www.slickdeals.net/\

I know the question wasn't for me, but I was able to get mine to Radd's level a year ago for the same price. You have to be patient with slickdeals, but you can really luck out if you watch it.(got my 250 GB HD for about $100)

Add http://www.newegg.com/ to that list. Everything I have was picked up there, aside from a couple hard drives I grabbed on sale at CompUSA and Best Buy.

I was hoping my system was near the high-end but according to PCGamer, I am right in the middle (p4 2.4 and 9800 pro). I recently upgraded to 1 gig memory so that should help. I'm sure it will run good on my system but I would like to have most of the eye candy running. Far Cry looked sweet with that ATI card and Doom3 ought to look even better. I can't wait to play this game. Games like this one of the main reasons I have a pc.

Laptop gaming generally isn't great. Your video card (probably a low-end ATi card) and RAM are holding you back.

Damnit, kind of wanted this game too. This is why hardly play PC games and just stick to my PS2. I hate this whole hassel with all the diffrent system requirements.

If you have an Xbox, both Doom 3 and Half-life 2 are receiving ports to that console. If you're wondering why only the Xbox, that's because it's the only console that best resembles a PC, and thus makes for the easiest port.

But theoretically, the XBOX specs aren't anywhere near the Doom 3 minimum requirements. So I wonder how they gonnna port that over.

But theoretically, the XBOX specs aren't anywhere near the Doom 3 minimum requirements. So I wonder how they gonnna port that over.

The XBox is a dedicated gaming console, with hardware specifically optimized to run games, whereas the PC is a general purpose machine, running not only the game but an operating system, ad-wares, spy-wares, and god knows what else.

It's like the thing with an NES and an NES emulator. My TI-89 probably has a better processor than the NES, yet you may still need a computer much faster than that to run an emulator.

Compared to modern PC's, gaming hardware is generally pretty pathetic, yet most of the time, they run games more quickly and reliably than you can on a PC.

The XBox is a dedicated gaming console, with hardware specifically optimized to run games, whereas the PC is a general purpose machine, running not only the game but an operating system, ad-wares, spy-wares, and god knows what else.

It's like the thing with an NES and an NES emulator. My TI-89 probably has a better processor than the NES, yet you may still need a computer much faster than that to run an emulator.

Compared to modern PC's, gaming hardware is generally pretty pathetic, yet most of the time, they run games more quickly and reliably than you can on a PC.

Though they're usually lower resolution, with less impressive graphics. Halo looks much better on my PC than on the XBox.

In additions to consoles hardware optimized and dedicated to games, games are also in turn dedicated to the console hardware they run on. XBox and Gamecube games always look better than their PS2 equivilent, and a high end PC will beat either of those hands down as well.

I'm on an AthlonXP 2400+, 512 MB RAM, and a GeForce4MX 440 (64 MB) so I'm fine.

My dad's pc that my brother uses though is an Athlon 1.2GHz, 384 MB ram, and an old Radeon 32MB DDR, so nothing I can for that one right now, outside of Buying a new ATI for mine and handing down the GeForce 4MX.  Doesn't fix the processor problem though.  He'll live though as he's more of a console gamer so missing pc games doesn't bug him any.  He just borrows my Warcraft III and Jedi outcast discs to play.

Actually, I still need to pick up the new UT.  I'm still playing the old one when I get the itch.

Actually, you're in trouble. The GF4MX is actually on par with a GF2. My MX wouldn't play BF1942, it's never gonna play Doom III.

I'm gonna have to get my Radeon 9600XT working pretty soon...

Edited by Commander McBride

Though they're usually lower resolution, with less impressive graphics. Halo looks much better on my PC than on the XBox.

Well, of course, there are always those trade offs.

Screen resolution is limited by the TV the console is hooked up to. Game makers know this, so they optimize a console game based on that.

My system is on the ridiculous low end of the performance spectrum >_< It won't even run WarCraft III properly.

I need to update, not for Doom 3, but for the RTS Lord of the Rings game coming out in the fall, as well as for the "recently released" War of the Ring game.

Edited by Stamen0083

Well, of course, there are always those trade offs.

Screen resolution is limited by the TV the console is hooked up to. Game makers know this, so they optimize a console game based on that.

My system is on the ridiculous low end of the performance spectrum >_< It won't even run WarCraft III properly.

I need to update, not for Doom 3, but for the RTS Lord of the Rings game coming out in the fall, as well as for the "recently released" War of the Ring game.

There's another lord of the rings RTS game coming out?

Athlon 64 3200

1 Gig Ram

Radeon 9600 256 mb

Im probably ready for Doom 3, but why would I waste 50 dollars on a limited FPS with awful multiplayer, and "scary" solo level design by a company who hasn't made a great solo FPS since the DOS era. (Doom 2) If we want to be generous, Quake 3 was fair solo...

I'm on a P4 2.8Ghz with a Radeon 9800 Pro and 1 GB of RAM.

Bring it on, id!

Same Specs as me! Well hopefully the ATI cards can handle Doom3 - - since its optimized by ID for NVIDIA cards...

HL2, on the other hand, is optimized for ATI cards :D That new/old counterstrike game looks awesome (except for the elimination of boosting).

and oddly enough same as me. Did we all buy on the same day. :)

but why would I waste 50 dollars on a limited FPS with awful multiplayer, and "scary" solo level design by a company who hasn't made a great solo FPS since the DOS era. (Doom 2) If we want to be generous, Quake 3 was fair solo...

Correction: $55 dollars! Plus tax! And Shipping! And honor of buying an Id game surcharge!

... sorry I'm still bitter over Id's grab for another five bucks on their price... you don't see that nice boy down the street HL2 trying to scam another Lincoln do you? Then again he never comes out of the house to play and just yells at us from his window.

OK I don't know sh*t about how to run PC games, would Doom 3 run on my laptop?

Toshiba A 320

Pentium 4 3.06 GHz

480 MB of RAM

I don't know what video card this thing has...

It all depends on your video card. To check, right click anywhere on your desktop and select properties. Hit the Settings tab, advanced button, and then the adapter tab to see what you got. Your laptop sounds new so it should have something decent.

I have a p4 2.0 Toshiba with a GeForce 420 Go video card (32 MB) and 512 mb ram. Since it's my work machine, I have not played many games on it but it seems to work decently with older games.

For those really worried about how it will look or run, I suggest trying out the demo or just downloading the whole game itself. I know that is wrong but not if you end up buying the game.

Correction: $55 dollars! Plus tax! And Shipping! And honor of buying an Id game surcharge!

... sorry I'm still bitter over Id's grab for another five bucks on their price... you don't see that nice boy down the street HL2 trying to scam another Lincoln do you? Then again he never comes out of the house to play and just yells at us from his window.

My theory on where the $55 price comes from: extended development plus fees for paying Chris Vrenna to do the music.

All I can say is, for $55, he'd better have put out a damn good update of the Cyberdemon's level music.

Im probably ready for Doom 3, but why would I waste 50 dollars on a limited FPS with awful multiplayer, and "scary" solo level design by a company who hasn't made a great solo FPS since the DOS era.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Glavil: "The Beauty of overpricing!"

55 bucks is steep for a game.

Honestly I'm more excited about HL2, but Doom 3 has at least caught my interest. May wait a few months for the price to drop though.

I wonder if Doom 3 suffers from gameplay.. it looks like those models have a lot of polygons.

(halflife 2.... when I look at the box cover, it looks like a nerd with glasses... like they are trying to say nerds can be heroes too :lol: )

Doom 3's rendering is actually done with fairly low-poly models. It's a testament to Carmack's ability to get an engine together and to make it look good.

As for HL2... that man is Gordon Freeman, theoretical physicist. You play as him in both games.

Doom 3's rendering is actually done with fairly low-poly models. It's a testament to Carmack's ability to get an engine together and to make it look good.

As for HL2... that man is Gordon Freeman, theoretical physicist. You play as him in both games.

Well, I played the alpha for Doom 3 and even that had higher poly counts than those pics. JC may be the human compiler, but there are certain things that must be sacrificed for consoles no matter what... with the advent of HDTVs and the direction that MS is going that will be a thing of the past...

Keep in mind also that with all of the consoles, they're made to last 3-5 years... whereas a PC is constantly evolving. Hell, my PC has remained in the high end for 5 years now... just because I'll replace a part here and there. Then you also have to factor in cost, what kind of games you like etc....

In my opinion Doom 3 and other FPS games aren't going to be as good as the PC FPS NOT just based on the graphics, but based on the control scheme. Sure there have been peripherals released, but support is limited....

I'm thinking Nintendo may have figured it out though with their purchase of certain gyroscope technology.... :) Hell, I'm stoked at the "Mario Party 6 will not be played with a controller..." but that's still GCN iirc....

Unfortunately, the Doom 3 version looks pretty crappy.

Take a look for yourself. Pay attention in particular to this and that.

Eh. At least you don't have to go out and buy a new video card that costs more than an Xbox in the first place.

It's all irrelevant anyway. The only FPS I want between now and the end of the year is Halo 2.

Unfortunately, the Doom 3 version looks pretty crappy.

Take a look for yourself. Pay attention in particular to this and that.

Eh. At least you don't have to go out and buy a new video card that costs more than an Xbox in the first place.

It's all irrelevant anyway. The only FPS I want between now and the end of the year is Halo 2.

Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout gaming, a console man got to pull Halo out their ass. That's their one, that's their one. Halo. Halo. Let me tell you something once and for all. Halo was good, but compared to Half Life, Halo ain't poo. :)

;)

Nah, I'm a gamer... I'll play games on both console and pc. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but its an undeniable truth that pcs are better for intense processing/graphics. And while you can say graphics aren't everything, they're a part.