Macross Zero Vol. 5 Info

Adventure

Why did the Protoculture leave Myan island with so many artifacts?

What does this all mean for the SDF-Macross? (so far there is ZERO connection)

That's directly tied into the mysteries of the bird man, which "should" be solved by the end of the next episode.

Hey, maybe thats why its called Macross "ZERO"... It has ZERO to do with any other Macross story. LOL

I hope it doesn't suck.

Stop being so skeptical, complain after you've seen it :)

Well the 'bird man' mystery ending better be a good one.. I mean if they say "well, its just old and mysterous" I am going to fly to Japan and hurt some people.

It does seem like I am being skeptical, but I am not a skeptical person. This is the first thread where I have been questioning MZero at all.

Shin and Edgar WERE using a VF-0D.

Yes, I know. The VF-0D appeared in episode 2, in both Shin's blue/white version and the standard gray/white version. Shin's was destroyed in episode 3.

I'm referring to a 1/72 VF-0D from Hasegawa.

OK, never mind then :p

As for the D model hasegawa, it's just a matter of time before that baby comes out.

i like the jive translation.it's like having "huggy-bear" from starsky & hutch narrate macross."damn straight,DD is about to have his ass handed to him...dig?"

now picture "boomhaur"(sp?) from king of the hill narrating that

valkyrietestpilot

Duane, your killing be bro!!! :lol:

All Macross Zero has done for me was leave me with a bunch of questions...

Someone mentioned it might have been the "Bird-man" that drew Britai to Earth. If that was the case wouldn't he have known that had something to do with race he served?

Are there other "Bird-men" on other worlds?

What was the purpose for altering the native life? Did they want a race to subjegate when the decided to return? Was it a little insurance so if some catastrophy happend the Protoculture wouldn't be completly extinct?

Did the Macross intentionaly go to Earth? On that thought was the Macross built by the Supervision Army, or just used by them?

Finnaly, why did the UN classify all this later on even after Space War I?

Just a quickie theory, one that I proposed over at the MRG regarding the comments in Episode 4 about the bird-man's song of destruction and head being severed.

It seems that the head will become reattached to the body, and we have no idea of what this song of destruction is. My theory is that its simply an attempt by the bird-man to communicate with the Protoculture, (primitive cultures may consider the communications noises to be a song, and these cultures generally have dire views of most things.) So Vrlitwhai's Fleet would not have in fact been attracted to Earth by the SDF-1, but in fact by the communique from the Bird-Man.

More likely, it's going to be the opposite of the song Sara has sung thus far. The song she was singing helped nuture nature & life. The song the Bird Man sings may do the exact opposite, especially since it's apparently going to be tearing all ass. From the implication of Shin having to save Sara, it would be pretty safe to assume that she somehow meld's with the Bird Man. It's doubtful that it has anything to do with accidentally contacting the Zentradi, but you never know.

Just a wild guess, but could make sense. Otherwise Vrlitwhai got lost on the way after picking up the signal from the SDF-1 10 years after it crashed. A year or 9 months gap seems more plausable. So Im thinking it will be a cameo from Vrlitwhai and Exedol.

That was already explained in the TV series (for the most part). It wasn't that he got lost after 10 years, it was just a simple clean up mission considering the number of Supervision Army fleet's around the galaxy were greatly dissapearing. Without anyone to fight, what choice was there left but to try & track down an old downed ship, that hopefully had survivors to knock around.

I think a few people are missing some key questions here.

-What is the AFOS, and why does the anti-UN want it so badly, seemingly more than the UN forces?

AFOS is the Bird Man. The Anti-U.N., just like the U.N. want it so badly because it's a hot piece of alien technology to be backwards engineered.

-How does Mayan Island's creation legend tie in with the Protoculture, if it's even a Protoculture reference at all? (After all, the details are vastly different, and how did the islanders' genes spread to all of humanity if it's the only instance of Protoculture messing with human DNA?)

How are the details vastly different? The Protoculture (bird people) come to Earth, evolve the fish people into land walking creatures, and take off. This is the same history we've had all along. As for the islander's gene's, the implication would seem to be that Mayan was the hotbed for evolved life. The timeframe that the Protoculture would have visited would have had a vastly different geographical structure on earth (continents in different places, one large continent, or any given pangea theory). Or it could just be that with Mayan being so seperate for so long, its people never lost stories of the Protoculture's visit (as oppose to anywhere else they might have seeded on Earth).

-Why the hell haven't we gotten a VF-0D model yet?

Or for that matter, a perfect transformation 1/48 Yamato!

[qoute]All Macross Zero has done for me was leave me with a bunch of questions...

Someone mentioned it might have been the "Bird-man" that drew Britai to Earth. If that was the case wouldn't he have known that had something to do with race he served?

I don't subscribe to that theory myself. Besides which, why would the Birdman call to the Protoculture, when it would be serving the purpose that it was assumedly left for.

Are there other "Bird-men" on other worlds?

Overall implication has been that the Zentradi took out any remaining Protoculture colony worlds (i.e. any others that they seeded), only Earth & Zola have been found to have life. According to Macross TV & 7, after the Protoculture/Protodevelin war, the Zentradi no longer had their directive to not harm Protoculture life (it was removed so that they could fight the Supervision army, who were comprised of captured Protoculture citizens). The surviving Protoculture tried to de-militarize the Zentradi, which they immediately saw as a threat. In essense, the Protoculture too became the Zentradi's enemy. Any worlds that the Zentradi came across they "took out," as the saw them as a threat. Bodolza makes references to coming across "culture" before as you'll recall. Looking at Dynamite, the Zolan's share some common traits with the Mayan islanders, so who know's, they may have a "Birdman" there too.

[qoute]What was the purpose for altering the native life? Did they want a race to subjegate when the decided to return? Was it a little insurance so if some catastrophy happend the Protoculture wouldn't be completly extinct?

This one I answered earlier. Once the Protoculture went to space, they found no one else around. So they decided to seed other worlds to spread out life. These other worlds were most likely part of the Stellar Republic that was taken out during the Civil war & Protodevelin war. So far, only Earth & Zola are shown to have survived.

Did the Macross intentionaly go to Earth? On that thought was the Macross built by the Supervision Army, or just used by them?

Unless Zero reveals something otherwise. it would seem to be one of those big cosmic coincidences that the Macross crashed on Earth.

Finnaly, why did the UN classify all this later on even after Space War I?

It was classified before SWI, as the Zentradi hadn't arrived yet, and they didn't want mass panic about giant alien's getting out. It's the same reason that Earth was told that all the citizens of South Atalia died during a strike by the anti-U.N., when in actuality they folded into space during an attack by the Zentradi.

The only big question I see that "should" get an answer, is just exactly "why" the Bird Man is set to destroy life on Earth should it prove aggressive. Almost everythin else posed here has been answered by other Macross series.

Edited by Keith

Why is the birdman looking to destroy life on earth ??? Kind of leads to why is it running away ?? Or is it simply running to...the AFOS. But then, couldn't it had done that a lot earlier. Perhaps Sara woke it ??

I know that the official story is that Vrlitwhai and his Fleet were doing a cleanup, but its kind of like the C3PO, and R2D2 scenario's. Why does Anakin/Darth Vader not recognise R2 and 3PO in the original films, or they recognise him ??

Fudging !!!

Its a great way of tying a story in. It also generally involves a little taking of what you have and then making the rest up and sticking your fingers in your ears and go LA LA LA LA LA when everyone points the holes. (If Lucas can do it why not anyone else ?) I just have a sneaking suspicion that this is what may happen with Vrlitwhai's Fleet. It could be written in that they pickup a signal from the Birdman, and then a little later on, the SDF-1, or the other way round. Prompting them to put Earth on their 'Investigate quick theres something wierd going on there', list.

Back to the song of destruction.....would the protoculture race really want to destroy beings like themselves that they've waited millenia for them to evolve in to a like state ?? Unless of course the Birdman has a chemical/biological failsafe weapon for use against us if we develop in to a violent and aggressive race that could potentially be a threat to the protoculture race. If so, the Birdman certainly didn't get a very good impression of us when the Anti-UN attack Maya

My theory, although not comprehensive, is the Birdman is actually a Protodeviln type monster. Protodeviln are "evil" by nature and kinda sucks life force out of things. Song of destruction probably kills everything alive, and the humans can't do crap about it. (like in Mac 7, the humans would be so pwned if it weren't for sound force)

Then there's Rooy Kanu which I assume is a protoculture, micron. He would probably be the one who planted the seeds of evolution in men, and decided to stay on Mayan while waiting for his seeds to bear fruit. After a few million years, he probably decides to bonk one of the local inhabitants and thus Sara's ancestors were born. Rooy Kanu was revered as a God.

But the birdman was also revered as a God....so this is even more confusing. To accomodate this , the next theory is the birdman is some sort of medium/device used to spread the evolution seeds into humanity. But at the same time, it can also destroy what it has created or reverse the effect for some reason, which I assume maybe it went haywire or got possesed by Protodeviln or as someone else said, a fail safe in case humanity's evolution didn't go according to plan.

Rooy Kanu didn't want his hard work to go to waste and to defend humanity, he defeated the Birdman and chopped of its head and told the Mayan inhabitants of its danger and of its eventual return, but he was mortally wounded and died.

Not sure if i told this theory before this. :blink:

Why is the birdman looking to destroy life on earth ??? Kind of leads to why is it running away ?? Or is it simply running to...the AFOS. But then, couldn't it had done that a lot earlier. Perhaps Sara woke it ??

What are you talking about? The Birdman "is" the AFOS, one in the same. The reasoning behind the awakening is obviously linked with Sara, as her bloodline is the direct trigger for controlling it (as it would appear). U.N. & Anti U.N. take to fighting on Mayan, Sara see's it, Birdman wakes up & decides to tear ass.

I know that the official story is that Vrlitwhai and his Fleet were doing a cleanup, but its kind of like the C3PO, and R2D2 scenario's. Why does Anakin/Darth Vader not recognise R2 and 3PO in the original films, or they recognise him ??

Fudging !!!

Again, what are you talking about? The U.N. Spacy "did" know about the Zentradi, you'll recall when Misa & Global thought they were bringing Earth shattering revelations to the top brass, and the aforementioned brass merely scoffed at them, having already known most of the things they reported. Hell, they already had the Grand Cannon way under construction, thinking it would be able to deal with any problems the aliens would pose. Unlike Vader & R2D2, the foreshadowing "was" already there from the start in Macross.

Its a great way of tying a story in. It also generally involves a little taking of what you have and then making the rest up and sticking your fingers in your ears and go LA LA LA LA LA when everyone points the holes. (If Lucas can do it why not anyone else ?) I just have a sneaking suspicion that this is what may happen with Vrlitwhai's Fleet. It could be written in that they pickup a signal from the Birdman, and then a little later on, the SDF-1, or the other way round. Prompting them to put Earth on their 'Investigate quick theres something wierd going on there', list.

Like I said, I highly doubt the birdman will have anything to do with Britia at all. It's not even necessary to add such a plot point in, though a scene with Britai being bord & looking for someone to fight, then asking Exedor to track down the damaged SA ship that folded out 10 years earlier would be fun. There's no reason to believe that the Birdman would need to send out a signal. Its purpose looks to be one of a falesafe mechanism. If life on Earth turns out to be warlike, take them out.

Back to the song of destruction.....would the protoculture race really want to destroy beings like themselves that they've waited millenia for them to evolve in to a like state ?? Unless of course the Birdman has a chemical/biological failsafe weapon for use against us if we develop in to a violent and aggressive race that could potentially be a threat to the protoculture race. If so, the Birdman certainly didn't get a very good impression of us when the Anti-UN attack Maya

Think of it this way. The Protoculture themselves were trapped in a cycle of war that they couldn't break out of. Why would they want to spread that aspect of themselves through the universe.

Well why alter the native life as opposed to setting up a colony?

It's the same reason why you don't marry inside your own family, adding diversety helps keep things alive & evolving.

[qoute]So if the Zentraedi no longer follow the orders of the Republic, then what do they do after the wipe everyone else out? Wipe each other out?

They start searching for uncomfirmed kills to wipe them out :)

My theory, although not comprehensive, is the Birdman is actually a Protodeviln type monster. Protodeviln are "evil" by nature and kinda sucks life force out of things. Song of destruction probably kills everything alive, and the humans can't do crap about it. (like in Mac 7, the humans would be so pwned if it weren't for sound force)

Pretty sure it's already been comfirmed beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is in no way shape or form Protodevelin (or more accurately "EVIL."). And from Sara's dream, it quite clearly seemed to be blowing poo up, not sucking energy. There were only 7 Protodevelin, with no room for the AFOS.

Then there's Rooy Kanu which I assume is a protoculture, micron. He would probably be the one who planted the seeds of evolution in men, and decided to stay on Mayan while waiting for his seeds to bear fruit. After a few million years, he probably decides to bonk one of the local inhabitants and thus Sara's ancestors were born. Rooy Kanu was revered as a God.

I'm pretty sure that he's supposed to be the first evolved human, not Protoculture.

But the birdman was also revered as a God....so this is even more confusing. To accomodate this , the next theory is the birdman is some sort of medium/device used to spread the evolution seeds into humanity. But at the same time, it can also destroy what it has created or reverse the effect for some reason, which I assume maybe it went haywire or got possesed by Protodeviln or as someone else said, a fail safe in case humanity's evolution didn't go according to plan.

Doubt that too, pretty sure it's just a tool leftover from the Protoculture's visit.

Rooy Kanu didn't want his hard work to go to waste and to defend humanity, he defeated the Birdman and chopped of its head and told the Mayan inhabitants of its danger and of its eventual return, but he was mortally wounded and died.

Not sure if i told this theory before this.

I think of it as more as a test left over, like the monolith in 2001. If humans pass its trials, perhaps they're deemed worthy of something....like survival.

OOPS, replace the first mention of birdman with head. As in why is the head returning to the body.

As to the fudging, where did you get the idea I was referring to Misa, Global, top brass ?? I was referring to the way of linking in the new story with the material rpoduced and published over 20 years ago. With such a massive gap, and wanting to create a great story it wouldn't suprise me that Kawamori-San would throw in some stuff which would require some fudging.

The biggest fudge so far is the 'the events were kept secret, and wouldn't be revealed for 40/50 years'. Its simply a way of doing what you want within your own work or someone elses and then giving a flimsy explanation as to why it happens, and that no one else knows about it.

Why is it secret for so long ?? Could well be the survivors who knew the inside scoop were told to keep quiet. But also the fact that most of them would be dead within a year, and the few that survived would be killed within another year or two, (Roy.) That way only secret files locked away, and not discovered for 40 or 50 years, or perhaps a re-emergence of the birdman/AFOS, would result in discovery of the events of 2008.

OOPS, replace the first mention of birdman with head. As in why is the head returning to the body.

Ah. Probably because it needs its head to function?

As to the fudging, where did you get the idea I was referring to Misa, Global, top brass ?? I was referring to the way of linking in the new story with the material rpoduced and published over 20 years ago. With such a massive gap, and wanting to create a great story it wouldn't suprise me that Kawamori-San would throw in some stuff which would require some fudging.

You never specified exactly what you were talking about when you mentioned "fudging," all I could assume was that you were speaking of how these events fit in with regards to knowledge about the Protoculture during the TV series, which I explained.

The biggest fudge so far is the 'the events were kept secret, and wouldn't be revealed for 40/50 years'. Its simply a way of doing what you want within your own work or someone elses and then giving a flimsy explanation as to why it happens, and that no one else knows about it.

Perhaps it had something to do with just about everyone in the top brass involved with the event having died during Bodolza's attack on Earth. Assuming it had some top level security put on it (which it likely would have), nobody would be left to know what to look for, let alone the time required to take whatever security encyption there was on existing files about it. For that matter, why would there be a need to let the public know about it, assuming Global would follow his pre-existing chain of command instructions in keeping secret info "secret." I'm just not seeing your problem with this issue.

Why is it secret for so long ?? Could well be the survivors who knew the inside scoop were told to keep quiet. But also the fact that most of them would be dead within a year, and the few that survived would be killed within another year or two, (Roy.) That way only secret files locked away, and not discovered for 40 or 50 years, or perhaps a re-emergence of the birdman/AFOS, would result in discovery of the events of 2008.

Looks to me like you answered your own question.

So you're telling me the entire species had gone stale so to speak?

No, I'm saying why waste "going stale," when they can create more genetic diversity in the universe.

How are the details vastly different? The Protoculture (bird people) come to Earth, evolve the fish people into land walking creatures, and take off. This is the same history we've had all along. As for the islander's gene's, the implication would seem to be that Mayan was the hotbed for evolved life. The timeframe that the Protoculture would have visited would have had a vastly different geographical structure on earth (continents in different places, one large continent, or any given pangea theory). Or it could just be that with Mayan being so seperate for so long, its people never lost stories of the Protoculture's visit (as oppose to anywhere else they might have seeded on Earth).

Because Macross, and the real-life research and kook theories the story is based on, says that the aliens messed with the DNA of early humans, not early evolutionary life. This is an explanation for the "missing link" in human evolution. The idea of the aliens creating humans from fish, or even fish-people (mermaids, now?), contradicts the basic story.

Humans weren't around when Pangaea existed, so throw that out the window.

I'm sure that the Mayan Island legends refer to Protoculture, but the details just got screwed.

And I don't buy the explanation that the AFOS is the alien itself, because that then begs the question, "What the hell is that thing under the water?"

Or for that matter, a perfect transformation 1/48 Yamato!

Toys are for children. Models are for adults. Give me a 1/72 Hasegawa kit with properly-proportioned delta wings and I'll be happy.

While DYRL may or may not be considered canon, there is the underwater Protoculture city to consider. That would be the remnants of the Protoculture's visit to Earth. It wasn't explained why it sunk in the first place. If it was because of the Zentraedi, then there would be nothing left. Maybe they destroyed themselves. Or maybe they destroyed the technology so as not to be detected by the Zentraedi. It could have been a last ditch resort because there was no way to avoid or defeat the Zentraedi. Maybe the AFOS is intended to restrict human evolution, so they never develop technology, kinda like those towers do in Panzer Dragoon.

Why would the Protoculture speed up evolution of fish people when they had cloning machines?

Because Macross, and the real-life research and kook theories the story is based on, says that the aliens messed with the DNA of early humans, not early evolutionary life. This is an explanation for the "missing link" in human evolution. The idea of the aliens creating humans from fish, or even fish-people (mermaids, now?), contradicts the basic story.

It contradicts nothing. As there has never been a firm explanation on exactly "what" state life on Earth was when the Protoculture came, there's no contradiction in a more direct timeframe set in Zero. All we knew before was that the Protculture altered the DNA of pre-existing life on Earth. Now we have a specific on what that life was. Hell, I'll do you one better, let's say the Mayan islanders "weren't" from the same form of life that the rest of humans on Earth were. Perhaps the Protoculture came & evolved primates on one part of the planet, while they evolved fish people on Mayan. This would explain just why their blood is special & different from everyone elses. Considering that the Protoculture could make marsupials into very human approximate life forms (Dynamite), who's to say they would evolve both fish & primates on Earth.

Humans weren't around when Pangaea existed, so throw that out the window.

No prob, see above :).

I'm sure that the Mayan Island legends refer to Protoculture, but the details just got screwed.

Perhaps not.

And I don't buy the explanation that the AFOS is the alien itself, because that then begs the question, "What the hell is that thing under the water?"

The thing under the water is its head.

Toys are for children. Models are for adults. Give me a 1/72 Hasegawa kit with properly-proportioned delta wings and I'll be happy.

My ass. Models are just as much toys as pre-assembled toys are. Difference is, my 1/48 tranforms flawlessly, while your hasagawa is stuck in one form. I'm a busy on the go kinda guy, I don't have to to sit around waiting for paint & glue to dry.

Actually just had a revelation. (Please wait whilst Dan picks himself off the floor after the blinding flash slaps him on the forehead =)

Why would the UN 'NEED' to know or disclose the details of Maya. Sara's abilities as witnessed would certainly be considered as extraordinary, (enough for her o be carried off kicking and screaming to some secret lab to be tested on for the rest of her life,) but they have no mass value. Of course 40-50 years after Macross Zero is what event ??

Hint: Think Fire Bomber, Think Protodeviln, think.......ANIMA SPIRITIA !!!

I'll calmly wait whilst everyone goes DOH :D

Sound Force and their 'emergence' as Anima Spiritia would certainly throw light on Sara and the events of 2008. The top brass and/or scientists would be slapping themselves going... "So THAT was what that was all about !!"

It would show to people in 2045/46 looking back on the events of 2008 that there ability has always been there. Plus that the Protocultures messed with us goooooood :)

Toys are for children. Models are for adults.

Rattles and big Tonka trucks, and anything to do with those irritating Telly Tubbies, (please forgive us, we didn't mean to unleash them on the world,) are for kids. Fully transformable Macross Mecha, non-transformable models of Queadlunn-Rau, are for the big boys and girls. :)

I think the majority of Macrossworld forum members would disagree with you there.

Graham

Really... My Father is 70 and he collects Macross toys. He is a mechanical engineer so he loves the VF-1. Is he a child?

Personally, I felt that Egan should have modified his statement right from the begining to say "Next non-Macross series in the works". I mean the Compendium is the only official English language Macross website, so when a statement appears saying 'next series in the works', it's only natural for most people to assume that as the statement is on a website devoted exclusively to Macross it refers to a new Macross series.  :angry:

Actually, I think the same words were even in Escaflowne Compendium.

So anyway, Kawmori is probably very busy on the new series ''Sousei no Aquerion", which is a half year long series due to start this fall and IIRC features an environmental theme and combining (super?) robots.

By the way, it seems Aquarian Age series are already out. They are taken from a card game, like Magic but with girls as "creatures". Some of these girls is drawn by Mikimoto, and in the anime works Satelight, so Kawamori is just helping buddies. I don't know how he is going to insert mecha, but if this is one of his ideas then it could be great.

FV

I think the majority of Macrossworld forum members would disagree with you there.

Graham

Really... My Father is 70 and he collects Macross toys. He is a mechanical engineer so he loves the VF-1. Is he a child?

Tell your father he is a really cool guy. I hope I'm stil collecting Macross toys at 70!

Graham

cm-spring-2004-page-5.jpgDidn't someone post line art a while ago with the VF-0 & Ghost combo like that? I distinctly recall seeing it, and a minor debate about what it all meant. Very interesting. What's also interesting is that it can't be a VF-0D (no delta wing), which means Shin gets one of the remaining VF-0S's? Aha, looks like Azrael remembered too, & just posted the pic in another topic:

Sound Force and their 'emergence' as Anima Spiritia would certainly throw light on Sara and the events of 2008. The top brass and/or scientists would be slapping themselves going... "So THAT was what that was all about !!"

It would show to people in 2045/46 looking back on the events of 2008 that there ability has always been there. Plus that the Protocultures messed with us goooooood

That is an awesome theory, I like it.

What I also find interesting looking at things in retrospect is Roy yelling at Hikaru for flying recklessly, while D.D. was yelling at Roy for the very same thing :)

Edited by Keith

And here's a bigger version of the same picture.

Graham

Are we really sure that´s a VF-0 ? look closely at the tailfins , remember the Zero´s are a bit bended.

And why does the Ghost appear right now after stupidly dissapearing in Ep.3 anyway ?

And here's a bigger version of the same picture.

Graham

Are we really sure that´s a VF-0 ? look closely at the tailfins , remember the Zero´s are a bit bended.

And why does the Ghost appear right now after stupidly dissapearing in Ep.3 anyway ?

I do believe that is a VF-0. Although, I don't think that is a Ghost on top of it. The QF-2001 in M0 looks about the length of a VF-1.