Macross Zero Vol. 5 Info

Adventure

Given the limited number of SV-51s produced (an estimated 32 units according to the Macross Compendium), I find it strange that Nora has a spare identically painted replacement SV-51 all lined up ready for her immediate use in ep # 5. At least that's what the pics I scanned seem to imply.

That's not a simple paint job that Nora has (I have the Hasegawa kit,so I know :D ). It would take time to repaint a standard tan color cannon fodder SV-51 to Nora colors, so there must have already been a replacement ready for her, which seems a bit unusual even for an ace pilot.

I also notice that the pics seem to show both Nora and DD are carrying 4 (2 per wing) of the micro-missile launcher/auxillary tank composite pods instead of the normal 2 (1 per wing-tip) as in the previous episodes.

Graham

i still think it's very ingenius how they used the ghost fighter as a fastpack unit...i guess UN Spacy guys were trying to finally find a good way to keep up with the speeds of the SV-51...it makes more sense since i doubt the VF-0 is going out into space anytime soon :p

According to the Macross Compendium, the top speed of the SV-51 is not that much greater than the VF-0.

• SV-51 Max Speed at 11000M = Mach 2.81.
  • VF-0A/S Max Speed at 11000M = Mach 2.74.
  • VF-0D Max Speed at 11000M = Mach 2.62.

Anyway, max speed is most irrelevant in jet fighters that use conventional fuel burning engines like the SV-51 and VF-0. It takes quite a while to reach max speed and by the time you get there you can't sustain it for long, otherwise you run out of fuel. I would imagine this is especially true of both the SV-51 and VF-0 as the specs list both of them as having short cruising ranges.

• SV-51 Cruising Range = 1910Km.
  • VF-0A/S Cruising Range = 2075Km.
  • VF-0D Cruising range = 2400Km.

I would think that Instantaneous thust/acceleration is more important than max top speed. Perhaps David or some of the other aviation experts can chime in?

Graham

wasn't it said that the SV-51 was also more manuverable than the VF-0?

i mean the SV-51 was made for fighting from the get-go...right? :blink:

i shoud've mentioned manuverablity instead of speed...you're right though max speeds are usless in real combat...it's not like you'll be going that fast at all times...and i'd assume pilots would be more worried about their fuel consumpion than anything else

Given the limited number of SV-51s produced (an estimated 32 units according to the Macross Compendium), I find it strange that Nora has a spare identically painted replacement SV-51 all lined up ready for her immediate use in ep # 5. At least that's what the pics I scanned seem to imply.

That's not a simple paint job that Nora has (I have the Hasegawa kit,so I know  :D ). It would take time to repaint a standard tan color cannon fodder SV-51 to Nora colors, so there must have already been a replacement ready for her, which seems a bit unusual even for an ace pilot.

I also notice that the pics seem to show both Nora and DD are carrying 4 (2 per wing) of the micro-missile launcher/auxillary tank composite pods instead of the normal 2 (1 per wing-tip) as in the previous episodes.

Graham

I remember in eps 2 Nora hassling one of the techs that, when he commented upon "having so many more units than necessary" when she wanted alterations done. I know this was off a fansub, but it could be that the Anti-UN put many eggs in one basket, or...

Edited by Wes