Old school match box RT pics

Hi everyone just found some old school pics of the fugly RT toys back in the day I've never seen these before UP CLOSE so I thought i just post some pretty good up close pictures even though he states they are the proto type pictures. Some good pic of the rare but totally off sdf-1 tower. I've never seen a match box fan racer/fanliner jet. I wonder where the proto type is? :lol:

:blink: (Why do I always find the ugly pictures) don't answer that <_<

From Rich

ANIME PUNCH!!!!

COSPLAYER!!!!

ebay auction

MatchboxCatalog1a.jpg

MatchboxCatalog1c.jpg

MatchboxCatalog1d.jpg

MatchboxCatalog1e.jpg

MatchboxCatalog1f.jpg

Edited by goldenboy_forever

wow, does anybody actually have that catalogue? I'd like to have one of those, just to see what actually was released. And man, I don't think I'd pay 50 bucks for that catalogue. Not worth it. :p:D:lol:

Edited by BoBe-Patt

Notice that the SDF-1 playset has characters from all three generations. Guess continuity didn't mean anything to them.

I remember collecting these figures, was impossible to find Minmay, Lunk, Rook, Micro Millia. Going to have to go and dig these guys out of storage for a good laugh. Just remembered I have those destroids, there not bad looking, they might find a place in my display.

These toys really aren't that godawful by 1986 standards. I never had any, I was more interested in girls by 86, but I always looked at them whenever I went to a department store.

No they sucked, GI joe figures put these to shame. The joints on these matchbox figures were horrible. What really bothered me about this line of toys was the scale issue. I'm fine with somethings being out of scale, but just about everything matchbox had was out of scale. Guess I was a hard kid to make happy.

These toys really aren't that godawful by 1986 standards. I never had any, I was more interested in girls by 86, but I always looked at them whenever I went to a department store.

No they sucked, GI joe figures put these to shame. The joints on these matchbox figures were horrible. What really bothered me about this line of toys was the scale issue. I'm fine with somethings being out of scale, but just about everything matchbox had was out of scale. Guess I was a hard kid to make happy.

I DO admit to wondering as a kid what the heck I was gonna do with a zentradi that was eye-level to Rick Hunter...

They were pretty crappy by any standard, unless you include whittling your own toys out of wood with Pa on the front porch. And even then... still kinda crappy.

The saddest thing about the Matchbox toys is how unbelievably Fischer-Price they all seemed next to the toys they imported from Japan like the Gakken Cyclone and Legioss or Joke Machines. Even on the catalog it's pretty jarring to see them mixed in with the crap Matchbox created.

So sad... but very nostalgic... thanks for posting these!

There's must be another page because they don't have the ones I did like. The Glaug, Regults and the Inbit Shock Troopers. The Glaug had a pretty good sculpt and decent articulation.

The Destroids needed a little bit more articulation in the knee to be decent. The Taka Conversion Kit was superior to in that way. I was always amazed why they never imported those.

These toys stand up pretty well to todays standards... IF all you bought was the MPC Veritechs... :lol:

There's must be another page because they don't have the ones I did like. The Glaug, Regults and the Inbit Shock Troopers. The Glaug had a pretty good sculpt and decent articulation.

The Destroids needed a little bit more articulation in the knee to be decent. The Taka Conversion Kit was superior to in that way. I was always amazed why they never imported those.

These toys stand up pretty well to todays standards... IF all you bought was the MPC Veritechs... :lol:

Inbit? You fobbin out on me here? :p:D:lol: That fan racer looks pretty cool, but it also looks like it was made for the 12" figures? Weird that they would do that for the 12" figures rather than the smaller figures. :huh::p:D:lol:

Kinda off topic.....

I have some scans of old Comico Robotech ads. Would anyone like me to post them? :huh: If so, I will post them tonight.

Seeing that old cataloge reminded me...

Geez, I used to just stare at those ads on the comics wishing I had the toys.

Of course it was for the imported stuff and not this Matchbox crap. Phew! :lol:

I can't believe the SDF playset goes for like $300.

This is the first time I've ever seen the Fanliner. It's not even the Women of Robotech commercial... :lol:

I used to love those old catalogs. JCPenney and Fedco had the best toy section. They even made dioramas for the He-Man and G.I. Joes...

I dont ever remember seeing the fanliner or the hovercycle came out.

I've seen the hovercycle. Hell, at one point I think I might have thought about buying it. Oh the shame. :blink::( Anyway, I thought it was kind of cool since I never saw anything good from the Robotech Masters series.

you gotta admit. Seeing these old pics bring back childhood memories and inspire the imagination again. These toys aren't even comparable to Yamato scale models, but somehow what they lack serves as a catalyst for imagination.

There was definitely a unique degree of "fun factor" there for the kid in all of us. Makes me wanna invite all my friends over for a "great battle" in the living room. A lot more fun than just simply staring at my beautiful detailed valk safely displyed on the shelf (which has its own merit too, but I rather be playing against other kids again, being rough on the toys and such, as toys were meant to be for kids. :)

Even though a lot of this is ugly, this kind of stuff will always have a special place in my heart.

The 12"-scale fanliner was never made. Toyarchvie has the dope here and here. They were also thinking of making a "Chinese Restaurant/Bedroom Playset". :lol:

Probably the fanliner was seen as a "romantic" prop for Minmei, so it fit in the 12" line marketed to girls, along with the Macross love triangle and Dana with her hovercycle.

The small action figures all look pretty bad, but out of the 6" figures, the Armored Zentradi Warrior is pretty nice (I have one) and Dolza doesn't look too shabby, either. I also like the 7" destroids and Regult/Glaug toys, all of which are reasonably close to 1/60 scale.

I can't see well, but is that veritech the kid is playing with the JM ones on the catalogue and the one with Rick in the cockpit in the base? Looks huge , but maybe its because a kid's holding it and all.

And damn I want a cyclone/mospeada/ride-armor

Kinda off topic.....

I have some scans of old Comico Robotech ads. Would anyone like me to post them? :huh: If so, I will post them tonight.

Seeing that old cataloge reminded me...

Is it posted? Where?

:huh: i love that base so much :(

Wow that stuffs cool looking!! Reminds me so much of exosquad type stuff! Me wanty! B))

That bike is so freakn cool! How hard is it to get? Or is there some sorta reissuse? Damn! :p

Edited by Synch

Wow that stuffs cool looking!! Reminds me so much of exosquad type stuff! Me wanty! B))

That bike is so freakn cool! How hard is it to get? Or is there some sorta reissuse? Damn! :p

I don't think the bike nor the fanliner were produced. I got the jist that they were marketing prototypes that never saw the light of day.

Ah Match box Robotech Toys or what I like to call my first taste at Robo-crap.

I used to case after these things. I made special trips to collect them all. I think I had to return most what I've bought. Those pieces of crap broke the second you took out of the box or were already broken inside the box.

I don't think the bike nor the fanliner were produced. I got the jist that they were marketing prototypes that never saw the light of day.

actually if your talking about the hover cycle, then yes, it was released. I keep running into those on ebay. Don't like it. So just look on ebay now and then and it'll pop up. But the fanliner is the one that wasn't produced. :p:D:lol: