For Dummies and newbies! Starship troopers!

Book-Terran Federation

movie-Citizen Federation

book -service garauntees citizenship was in place to prevent fascist leaders with the thought that those that served would be less likely to put themselves above the whole and less likely to put people through what they went through.

movie-citizenship means squat you can make a good living as a civilian and the ruling government never changes and is willing to send people to death for no reason.

book-the bugs attacked earth before any provocation from settlers. they feared us becoming the next big power in the galaxy

movie-bugs launch astroid for payback of a mormon colony settling in bug space(and the humans didn't know this was a sign of intellegence?!?)

book-bugs, have ships, technology, and laser weaponry, highly intellegent warriors make up about 30% of their numbers 60% workers 8% brains and 2% queens take live prisoners

movie-bugs no tech no ships no weapons fire plasma turds from butt semi intellegent in pack hunter way(think wolves) 90% warriors 10% others take no prisoners other than brains

book-humans pocket nukes, plasma weapons flame throwers, lasers, slug throwers, cannons grenade launchers, and power suits(walking semi-flying tanks) intellegent usefull psychics that can draw maps of bug tunnels.

movie- no weapons besides machine guns hand grenades and rocket launchers no power armor dumb psychics that can barely find a single person.

book- Rodger young is a small fast corvette holding about a company of MI's that launch in drop pods. It is never destroyed. No Carmen on board. No Barcalow either.

movie- Rodger Young large slow fighter carrier/troop ship holding regiments of so called MI that deploy in drop ships.

book- mobile infantry are called that because of the ships they ride in and the power suits give them high mobility

movie- mobile infantry are called that for no other reason than it was in the book

book- Juan Rico- young man who joined the service for two reasons Carmen was joining navy and he had a crush on her (no relationship yet) and all his friends were leaving him behind. Failed every other entrance exam but MI. Also he is not from Buenos Aires though his mother did die during the assault while visting a relative there.

movie- Johnny Rico- young man who joined the service to follow his girlfriend into the navy. failed on math scores and was sent to MI. From Buenos Aires loses both parents in the astroid attack

book- Razcak a caring LT. that watches over all his troops and is well respected leader. Gave his life saving two troopers before an evac shuttle lifted off. Is not Rico's ex HS teacher.(Mr. Dubois)

movie- Razcak a uncaring LT. that cares less about his troopers and often puts them out of their misery Dies leading his company into an ambush.

book- Sgt. Zim a gruff soft spoken drill instructor who frowns on using force on trainees asked to be removed from training duties after being assaulted by a trainee. blames himself.

movie- Sgt Zim a loud obnoxious DI that takes a perverse pleasure in injuring trainees. wants to be put into a combat unit to make things simpler for him (just kill kill kill)

book- Rico's father thought dead along with mother in the BA attack but lived. Hated himself for letting her die and not doing something with his life. Joins the MI and lands with Razcaks roughnecks just as Rico leaves to go to officer school.

movie- Rico's father D-E-A-D!

book- General Dienes commander of first attack on klendathu. Disaster wan't his fault asked for more men but coucil refused holding back reserves for earth defense. Dies buying time for evac shuttles to get wounded and stragglers.

movie- Sky Marshal Dienes mastermind behind Big K attack gets a lot of people killed and gets a simple demotion still in active duty in citizen federation

book- Dizzy Flores a guy no sexual relationship to Rico dies in the first chapter is never quoted as saying anything.

movie Dizzy Flores a woman sexual relationship with Rico. Says a lot but still dead.

book-based on world war II america

movie- based on vietnam and world war II nazi germany

book- genius writer

movie- idiot writers and a retarded kill crazy perv of a director

Wow. Thanks for the side by side comparison. Have you seen Starship Troopers 2?  :p

you mean the crap fest that lifts half of Hienliens other book "the puppet masters"?

EDIT: theres only one good thing I can say about the movies ship models and props were cool.

Edited by renegadeleader1

pretty good breakdown, cept, I was never under the impression life was crappy if you were not a citizen in the book. You could still run a business, own a home, just not run for public office.

I never said not being a citizen in the book was bad, just that in the movie they gave the impression citizenship means squat

holy god i would love to see the difference's written down side buy side in detail of Battlefield earth (that is what it is called right?) I could not sit through the whole movie, and after seeing half the movie i had no no intrest or desire to read the book.

chris

The movie was weak, but one of the comparison points is wrong.

In the movie, the asteroids are NOT launched by the bugs (for any reason). Can anyone show a scene where the bugs did so? As they were depicted in the movie, there's no way the bugs could launch an asteroid, not even with their butt cannons. :-P

The lost point that the filmmakers wanted to make was that the asteroids were a freak accident, but the fascist govt in the film story wanted to blame SOMEONE for it. The bugs were just handy scapegoats. All explaned on the DVD commentary.

Taken on its own, the movie was just plain mindless B-grade fun, grinning-wounded-Carmen and all. The problem is that the book already has such an established fan base, the filmmakers were just asking to be ripped to shreds for their "artistic license". Similar case for David Lynch's DUNE... awesome visuals, poor script that couldn't live up the source material.

I'm sure someone has something to say about this gem:

h_in_battlefield_earth_03.jpg

I've never read the book, but it HAS to be better than this crapfest.  Anyone got opinions on the matter?

I for one did like the book Battlefield Earth, and have read it once or twice in the past few years. However, I was a little wary of the movie and did not see it until it came on cable, and I was glad I did not shell out $9.00 to see this trash.

As for Starship Troopers, I loved the book. It has been one of my favorite books since I was a kid along with Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, and yes, the movie was utter blasphemy. Heinlein was probably rolling over in his grave when they started production on the film.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Don't forget Studio Nue's Starship Troopers Anime OVA. Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet. When will we see official R2 DVD's or even HK bootlegs? I wantie*! :lol::D

edit*Me Wantie!

bump*

We all want those Starship Troopers Animes, but no one can find them. As for other movies that are going to rape a great book, how about the upcoming crapfest that will be I Robot?

I'm sure someone has something to say about this gem:

h_in_battlefield_earth_03.jpg

I've never read the book, but it HAS to be better than this crapfest. Anyone got opinions on the matter?

was told it was crap.so i didnt watch it. my dad said to read the book, which i did.

loved the book enough to rent the movie and nearly cried. because it was sooo. butchered

Starship Troopers anime? is this any different from the CGI version of ST? i kind of liked that one, despite the lack of facial expressions. :lol:

You can check out the Anime Volume 2 boxart here and images of the Powered Suit with some Machschinen Krieger for good measure here.

heinleins early stuff was pretty good but his later works are just didactic rantings with sex thrown in. <_<

Oh come now....just cause you can 'grok' someone doesnt make it all that bad... ;)

Seriously though, Paul Verhoven and his cronies said that they hated the book and never intended to be faithful in any way shape or form. That is the heighth of arrogance in my opinion. Thats a rich a-hole deciding that he thinks you're small minded and he's decided he's gonna piss on your shoulder and say its raining. He's a jackass of the highest order.

heinleins early stuff was pretty good but his later works are just didactic rantings with sex thrown in.  <_<

Oh come now....just cause you can 'grok' someone doesnt make it all that bad... ;)

Seriously though, Paul Verhoven and his cronies said that they hated the book and never intended to be faithful in any way shape or form. That is the heighth of arrogance in my opinion. Thats a rich a-hole deciding that he thinks you're small minded and he's decided he's gonna piss on your shoulder and say its raining. He's a jackass of the highest order.

Nah... he's not a jackass of the highest order. He's just a director, doing what he thought would make for an entertaining film. Geeks can bitch about it all day, but in the end, Verhoven's version sold movie tickets and turned a profit. So, in essence, he wins.

Who's really the Jackass? The studio execs who basically had the property rights and said we'll pay Paul V a ton of money to make the flick, even though he doesn't really care much for the source material.

If somebody gave me a few million to direct a movie based on the Family Circus, I'd make whatever the hell I wanted and what I thought would sell movie tickets in order to keep me working. And I friggin HATE the Family Circus. That's just the movie business, kids.

Just for your knowledge, my movie version of the Family Circus would involve a violent sexual act between Billy, Granpa, and the ghost NOT-ME. ;)

The movie was weak, but one of the comparison points is wrong.

In the movie, the asteroids are NOT launched by the bugs (for any reason). Can anyone show a scene where the bugs did so? As they were depicted in the movie, there's no way the bugs could launch an asteroid, not even with their butt cannons. :-P

The lost point that the filmmakers wanted to make was that the asteroids were a freak accident, but the fascist govt in the film story wanted to blame SOMEONE for it. The bugs were just handy scapegoats. All explaned on the DVD commentary.

Taken on its own, the movie was just plain mindless B-grade fun, grinning-wounded-Carmen and all. The problem is that the book already has such an established fan base, the filmmakers were just asking to be ripped to shreds for their "artistic license". Similar case for David Lynch's DUNE... awesome visuals, poor script that couldn't live up the source material.

personally that just sounds like Verhoven covering his ass and trying to make his train wreck movie look better.

As for in the movie it is possible for the bugs to launch astroids considering enough plasma force could knock an astroid into motion from where it was. they also must have some way of interplanetary trvel for them to colonize other planets.

Similar case for David Lynch's DUNE... awesome visuals, poor script that couldn't live up the source material.

LoL... one of the books I was hoping would show up in this thread. I mean... I like the old movie too, but it makes Paul out to be more poweful than he really was(like making it rain right then and there, where in the books the change on Arrakis took centuries, even after the death of Muad'Dib). The only thing that I really dislike about the Lynch film is the use of the sound weapons. The new miniseries was so much better.

Geeks can bitch about it all day, but in the end, Verhoven's version sold movie tickets and turned a profit. So, in essence, he wins.

I do believe that Starship Troopers is considered a financial disaster. It only grossed about 50 million and cost over 100 million to produce. It didn't turn a profit, otherwise Starship Troopers II would have come out years ago...and with a much higher budget.

Geeks can bitch about it all day, but in the end, Verhoven's version sold movie tickets and turned a profit.  So, in essence, he wins.

I do believe that Starship Troopers is considered a financial disaster. It only grossed about 50 million and cost over 100 million to produce. It didn't turn a profit, otherwise Starship Troopers II would have come out years ago...and with a much higher budget.

Ah well, anyway... B))

Similar case for David Lynch's DUNE... awesome visuals, poor script that couldn't live up the source material.

LoL... one of the books I was hoping would show up in this thread. I mean... I like the old movie too, but it makes Paul out to be more poweful than he really was(like making it rain right then and there, where in the books the change on Arrakis took centuries, even after the death of Muad'Dib). The only thing that I really dislike about the Lynch film is the use of the sound weapons. The new miniseries was so much better.

Amen. preach on!!! did you ever finish the books? i remember you were reading them, and last you posted, you were on Heretics....Lynch's movie was an abortion of what the source material was. Although Herbert liked the movie, i think he would be blown away by what SciFi did with the material, even as far as Dune Messiah and Children of Dune are concerned. i hope Scifi decides to go all the way to Chapterhouse with their series. and yeah, Paul was powerful, but not enough to make it rain. even after Leto II, God Emperor's Reign, Arrakis is still not completely green. Leto has his own Bleed to go and run about. and as fast as that happened, in Heretics, Arrakis is completely Arrid again, with the Worms even more savage, since Leto is contained in each one.... :ph34r:

SST make more sense if its a Warhammer 40k movie and the imperial guards are fighting Tyranids. but yeah, the book blows it away.

Edited by Isamu Atreides 86

It only grossed about 50 million and cost over 100 million to produce.

That movie cost HOW MUCH to produce? Seriously, the visuals were cool, and honestly, I loved the way they looked, but a hundred mil? That's crazy; they must have been paying the teen-movie actors way more than a regular movie...

Technically there is only one starship troopers book written by Heinlein. There are at least two other books I have seen written by other authors that are "in the world of starship troopers." One is a side story or possibly a sequel and the other is a pick a path book. I have not read either one and heard that they are both pretty forgetable.

I'm sure the book is MUCH better than the movie. I always RUN LIKE HELL from anything Paul Verhoeven directs! Although, I am curious about the direct to DVD sequel.

Amen. preach on!!! did you ever finish the books? i remember you were reading them, and last you posted, you were on Heretics....Lynch's movie was an abortion of what the source material was. Although Herbert liked the movie, i think he would be blown away by what SciFi did with the material, even as far as Dune Messiah and Children of Dune are concerned. i hope Scifi decides to go all the way to Chapterhouse with their series. and yeah, Paul was powerful, but not enough to make it rain. even after Leto II, God Emperor's Reign, Arrakis is still not completely green. Leto has his own Bleed to go and run about. and as fast as that happened, in Heretics, Arrakis is completely Arrid again, with the Worms even more savage, since Leto is contained in each one.... :ph34r:

SST make more sense if its a Warhammer 40k movie and the imperial guards are fighting Tyranids. but yeah, the book blows it away.

Yeah, I finished em. I can't wait for Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune...

Always glad to know there's fans of Dune around... but after giving the first 2 'prequels' a go, I'd have to say Brian Herbert is simply riding on his dad's fame. For me, the Dune Chronicles ended with the late great Frank Herbert.