"Stealth" aboard USS Abraham Lincoln

Saw that last night on the Navy's site. My thoughts:

WTF is that. I've seen LEGO planes that are more aerodynamic. That is such pure utter crap it's not even funny. Who'd they let design it, the director's 5-year-old son? I can't wait for the "we hired "experts" to help us design the plane" press release comments.

"Hey, stealth planes are easy--just make them black with angles, and curvy upper surfaces"

The X-32 is now the SECOND-ugliest stealth. And a heck of a lot more aerodynamic.

And I'd love to see the gear on this thing, it already looks very unsuited for carriers based on its control surfaces. (A carrier plane needs much more than strong gear)

I will give them points from one thing: it looks like it can swing its wings forward from YF-19 style + canards, to have the wings meet the canard and create a canardless delta-wing design. Of course that wouldn't work even if you had YF-21-style morph-wings, but it'll look neat on screen.

Edited by David Hingtgen

kind of true, clint eastwoods firefox looked better than this. BY no means was that plane ugly, in fact hopefully hasbro makes the firefox design in their gijoe line. Sorry but i say that movie ruled. this one is in question. hmmmmmmmmmi i wonder what rob cohen has made in the past with military aviatiuon.

Somehow i think a topgun 2 would be better. (even though decidedly maverick really wouldnt have anything else to do but blow up something in an international crisis and instruct at topgun)

also. It looks moe like a klingon bird f prey dumbed down to scout ship. Wings shouldnt be angled down like that. and as before rearward visibility is even worse then the JSF F-35B's!!!!

hmm didnt even notice it had canards. I ned more views but i still think it is ugly. Any out of proportion(almost all are) gijoe plane would suffice than this.

No, that's high-end hush-hush military technology--the stealth "gnarly" helmet. :)

looks a lot like delta team helmet in air force delta strike. god man why dont movie companies use the old school vietnam era helmets? i mean come on even knighthawk and raptor pilots use that helmet albeit new variations and such but much cooler looking than tony hawk stealth mode.

Sh*t, I could design a better plane than that. Are the guys who do the designs for Star Wars the only American movie people who can do kick ass designs.

By the way, that flight suit (at least the helmet anyway) looks like the EDAF suits in AF Delta Strike. Ah, didn't notice Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0's post...

Edited by Druna Skass

I was part of my squadrons' CQ training detachment on the USS Lincoln (June 13-21).

Yes, Hollywood was there big time on the boat. The jet/movie prop was really big, it ate up pretty much nearly 1/2 of Hangar Bay 2. I'm not a fan of the design, but oh well.

Jamie Foxx was there too along with Jessica Biel. As you can imagine in a ship filled with thousands of male Sailors & Marines, Ms.Biel was the hot ticket. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing her in their version of the flightsuit... kind of tight-fitting B)) Actually, during one early morning she came up near the Cats 1 & 2 in her Pajamas B))

What was kind of bad for us, especially at night crew, was when they were using the flight deck for filming. We couldn't do squat up there, even aft of the island. And they were up there for hours.

Speaking of their jet, it was sitting aft of the island on the flight deck when we were loading up for the det. One of my Marines I was walking with saw it and said, "Ooh, is that the new Navy Stealth Fighter?" <_< I had to hold back from backhanding him for that.

PS- In the original poster's picture, you can see a camouflaged F/A-18C. That's Aircraft 22 from our squadron. It kind of has a funny camouflage scheme. The pattern is jagged, reminding me of some Russian style camos. Also, the choice of colors is weird: The same used by many of the USMC CH-46's & Super Cobras: Grey & Dark Green. To make it even more weird, the modex is gloss red with yellow trim... along with the Soviet red star on the vertical stabs. I tell you, we have some weird schemes in our command.

I just got a digital camera, maybe I can put some up one of these days of our weird gallery.

Edited by Warmaker

In the film, Navy officials decide to use an unmanned version of the “Talon,” but when one of the planes begins attacking friendly forces, Navy pilots are called in to save the planet from artificial intelligence.

If the AI also sings, we will have the "Macross Minus" movie right here! :lol:

The plane looks similar to that "Switchblade" concept that Pop-Sci reported on a few years back. Hard to tell really, but if that thing could actually fly it would unstable as SHeol and no way would it be a fighter, maybe a bomber. THe helmet is pure hollywood sci-fi crap, it's just so you can see the pilot's face better. THought I have to agree that Jessica Biel in any flight suit would be just yummy. I would like to see more of plane from these few shots it looks terrible, too bulky not veyr aerodynamic, a nice planform view would help greatly. If it based on the switchblade concept those wings will fold back into an FSW shape. The design just really doesn't look aerodynamically clean to me, too many protrusions, more like some kind of space fighter really.

A few more comments from looking at the cockpit design, poorly designed cockpits are a pet peeve of mine. FIrst off the flight suit: THat helmet is crap there is no kind of visible forced air system in it, how the Sheol is the pilot suppossed to breath in that thing, especially if they make any kind of high-G manuevers? The flag on her shoulder is on the wrong shoulder, the flag goes on the left shoulder, except in rare cases where it can be found on the right. Even then the flag is facing the wrong direction, the star should be at the front.

Now onto the cockpit: Fair to good forward visibility from what I can see here, complete lack of rearward visibility, common in sci-fi designs, but if this is to be a near future aircraf then it is a bomber. There is not even enough rear canopy to allow for an over shoulder upper rear quarter view, very bad, very sci-fi, not very real. The cockpit must be a podded ejection, should be interesting to see if anyone ejects. I say this because for one thing, that seat would never clear the aircraft if it were to eject, and second the seat is imbedded into the rear wall of the cockpit. Whoever designed this POS must have no experience with fighters. It almost looks like it was intended as a two seater, the hump behind gives that impression to me. Also, maybe it's just the angle but that instrument panel looks way too high to me, the top looks to be eye level with MS Biel, hmm maybe forward visibility isn't that good then.

Man this movie looks like it will suck.

Edited by Knight26

Oh here is the Switchblade I was referring to earlier, definitely looks like they took the basic concept of the design and crappified it.

PS_Fighter_cover.gif

Having Flashbacks of the B-3 in Broken Arrow.

difference being northrop knows what the hell they are doing with switchblade. I agree the stealth in the movie SUCKS balls. Even gijoe planes lke the storm eagle seem a lot more functional. Also I guessn there is a window HUD. When I saw the cast list I knew this movie would be a potential disaster. Rob cohen has only directed action flicks, nothing with airplanes. The story is suspect as well. Who hasnt thought of an AI running amuck?

With that in mind I was excited till I saw the above and now remain to the thought that flight of intruder and topgun are the onyl good military aviation movies(yea i know flight wasnt that truthful to the book but dafoe was bad ass in there and anything antiSAM is alwyas cool to me).

Me thinks only one guy and girl will remain alive in that squadron and I wouldnt be surprised if theyn put the jhoystick on the left or if in fact the controls are a yoke. Yoke as in airliner controls.

You know, they could have just built a YF-23 mock-up and used that. That looks "next-gen stealth". It'll still look next-gen, 2 generations from now. The only people who'd recognize it would be people like us, and we'd appreciate it. Everyone else would think it's just a really cool looking fake plane. :)

You know, they could have just built a YF-23 mock-up and used that.  That looks "next-gen stealth".  It'll still look next-gen, 2 generations from now.  The only people who'd recognize it would be people like us, and we'd appreciate it. Everyone else would think it's just a really cool looking fake plane.  :)

AMEN to that!!!

They're still down with NASA aren't they?

Moment of silence please....

post-26-1088131150_thumb.jpg

actually no; last prototypes never did any tests for nasa and now reside in storage I believe 1 is in a museum. Sad. Northrop has some awesome planes but I suppose their politics doesnt win them over. Imagine if the planes they made,(Yf-23, F-20, YF-17) made it into service. If not our own then a foreign country. Cheap, economical, and GREAT capability and manueverability all for a low price sans YF-23.

Irritates me how my homeland's military never bought the F-20s./

Actually both YF-23's are in museums last I heard, one down near LA, the Northrup museum and I think the other is at the Air Force Museum. DH you're the YF-23 expert is that the location of the second one?

The Northrop museum one is the 2nd one (which I will visit someday). The first is at Edwards AFB. Hasn't been visible since 2000 or so, AFAIK. They have it, but it's not on display. The engines are spread around, nobody has a complete set. I'm pretty sure that one of the F120's is at the Air Force Museum in Dayton. AFAIK, there are only the 4 engines ever built for the initial tests, 2 120's and 2 119's.

Edited by David Hingtgen

The first is at Edwards AFB.  Hasn't been visible since 2000 or so, AFAIK.  They have it, but it's not on display.

I wonder what they're doing with it there...

Probably in one of the "Black Hangars".