Garfield

Oihan

i love garfield but the movie looks horrible, i hate the cg design and the voice for garfield, im sick of all these comic to liv emovie adaptations, they shudve made an animated movie, probly wudve been cheaper and funnier

I also love this fatty orange cat since I was a kid :D . It a good thing that they choose Bill Murray as the fat cat voice actor because he sounds so close to the original Garfield`s voice actor.

When I read about the movies plot it based on that 1982 episode Here Comes Garfield when Odie is taken by the pound and it`s fatty to rescue but of course with a little other plots since it`s a movie.

Anyway I don`t care I LOVE GARFIELD :)

I also love this fatty orange cat since I was a kid :D . It a good thing that they choose Bill Murray as the fat cat voice actor because he sounds so close to the original Garfield`s voice actor.

When I read about the movies plot it based on that 1982 episode Here Comes Garfield when Odie is taken by the pound and it`s fatty to rescue but of course with a little other plots since it`s a movie.

Anyway I don`t care I LOVE GARFIELD :)

I still have some of the comic books! Always liked the cartoon. :p

Hmmm, Garfield's face is not fat and big enough. And that is not what Garfield is like. Simply put: That's not Garfield. But oh well. Can't be helped. Frankly, the animated version from way back then wasn't even as funny as the comic strips were, =/

What's next for the 'comic-to-movie' lineup? Calvin & Hobbes perhaps? (Oh no, I might've given them the idea!)

Hmmm, Garfield's face is not fat and big enough. And that is not what Garfield is like. Simply put: That's not Garfield. But oh well. Can't be helped. Frankly, the animated version from way back then wasn't even as funny as the comic strips were, =/

What's next for the 'comic-to-movie' lineup? Calvin & Hobbes perhaps? (Oh no, I might've given them the idea!)

They've already made a Calvin & Hobbes movie. It was so bad they never reased it.

As for Garfield, I found it amusing as a kid but I'd prefer to leave it as an un-tainted memory in my childhood so I won't be seeing this film.

NOOOOOO!! i can't believe you said that out loud!!! Quick!! Edit your post maybe they haven't seen it yet!

I would die the day they make an adapation of calvin and hobbes (my fav comic ever) :(

~Tico

NOOOOOO!! i can't believe you said that out loud!!! Quick!! Edit your post maybe they haven't seen it yet!

I would die the day they make an adapation of calvin and hobbes (my fav comic ever) :(

~Tico

if they r making a CG cat, why not a CG tiger?

Sigh, I saw the trailer last night a the shrek 2 movie. I thought it was ok. I wish they would stick to the way garfield is in the cartoon and the comics, like when he talks, his mouth shouldn't move and his eyes needs to be bigger. And I didn't see odie, or was that real dog he was dancing with suppose to be odie? I would think they would CG odie as well as he has a long @$$ tounge. I'd still watch it as I too am a fan of garfield. Hopefully it won't suck. :p:D:lol:

I've been a Garfield fan for as long as I can remember, I always watch the show when I was a kid and the comic strip is the first thing I looks for on the Sunday paper. Needless to say, I'm checking this movie out.

Though Odie needed to be CGed, his toungue is almost as big as he is. And yeah Bill Murray was a good pick, he almost sounds like the original guy.

they wont' make a calvin and hobbes movie. the creator has NEVER merchandised his characters other than his paperback volumes.

thats right, ALL the stickers you can buy of calvin and hobbes are bootlegs. ALL OF THEM.

he simply will not treat his characters that way. i respect that profoundly.

as for this garfeild mumbo jumbo. its a horrible idea. IF they were going to make garfeild a cg cat, they needed to make ALL the pets CG, one cg cat mixed with only real life is stupid. they just wanted to crank out a fast cash cow with as little effort as possible.

personally it would have been cool if they'd either gone all CG or made a CG but real-life looking fat ass cat. what they are doing for this movie is low brow at its worst and just plain lame. i won't go.

Edited by KingNor

They've already made a Calvin & Hobbes movie. It was so bad they never reased it.

Joking? I'd have to see pretty solid evidence of this to believe it considering how strongly C&H's creator protected it from just about every licensing attempt imaginable no matter how much money they offered him.

I was doubtful when I went to the first Scooby Doo movie and I discovered that CG animals don't ruin my comedic experience. I mean, both Garfield and Scooby look reasonably good, and they can do things that a real dog and cat couldn't do.

Besides; aren't we supposed to suspend disbelief for a bit? I'll check Garfield out, but if it sucks I'll totally tell everyone.But I've been burned by every summer movie so far, especially Helsing.

Garfield looks pretty good, but IMHO they are ruining the thing by not doing the other animal characters in CG.

Nermal is supposed to look the same way Garfield does, just thinner etc. And if they ever brought Odie into the picture, he just wouldn't look right if he didn't look like he did in the comic strip.

IMO, without staying true to the character designs across the board, it's just another talking dog movie, and those are always LAME.

Am I the only one asking "why now?".

Garfield hit his peak of popularity in the mid to late '80s. That was back when I remember going into bookstores in the mall and seeing "Garfield 48: His Most Recent Book!" on the shelves of one of those big cardboard standees. That was also back in the day when CBS (or was it NBC?) kept putting up those Garfield animated holiday specials like no tomorrow... Thanksgiving, Christmas, Holloween... Garfield's popularity to me seems to have nose dived after that with the occasional appearance in a TV commercial (ala ALF). Now suddenly he is reborn in crappy CG form in a summer movie? Does this mean ALF the Movie will be close behind? :unsure:

Am I the only one asking "why now?".

Garfield hit his peak of popularity in the mid to late '80s. That was back when I remember going into bookstores in the mall and seeing "Garfield 48: His Most Recent Book!" on the shelves of one of those big cardboard standees. That was also back in the day when CBS (or was it NBC?) kept putting up those Garfield animated holiday specials like no tomorrow... Thanksgiving, Christmas, Holloween... Garfield's popularity to me seems to have nose dived after that with the occasional appearance in a TV commercial (ala ALF). Now suddenly he is reborn in crappy CG form in a summer movie? Does this mean ALF the Movie will be close behind? :unsure:

I'm sure some maketing genius without an original thought in his body figures he has the next Scooby Doo in Garfield. :rolleyes:

As much as I like Garfield and Bill Murray, I'm expecting this movie to suck big time as most comic/animation to live-action movies do.

Some freeky irony at work here:

Lorenzo Music who voiced Garfield also voiced the animated Peter Venkman on The REAL Ghostbusters.

Bill Murray who played Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters is voicing Garfield.

As much as I like Garfield and Bill Murray, I'm expecting this movie to suck big time as most comic/animation to live-action movies do.

Some freeky irony at work here:

Lorenzo Music who voiced Garfield also voiced the animated Peter Venkman on The REAL Ghostbusters.

Bill Murray who played Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters is voicing Garfield.

I wanted to say earlier that but I forgot. Yes indeed it`s strange.

Calvin and Hobbes was great stuff. Garfield can only be funny once, after that, it's all repetition.

Achewood is currently my favorite comic strip. It's not in the papers, check out www.achewood.com.

Here's what Ray Smuckles thinks about Garfield:

achewood

and if you go back one day in the archive, he makes fun of Marmaduke. Hehehe...

Edited by JKeats

I saw the trailer and was most unimpressed. The CG Garfield looked like it was designed by committee - they couldn't decide whether to stick true to the original design from the comics or to make it look more photo real so they compromised, and you've got this FUBAR looking thing, not making it fat enough in fear of being sued by fat people.

But hey, the Scooby Doo movie made money with that fine looking CG dog (FOR ME TO POOP ON!) so kids will eat this one up too.

Well, I for one will not see Garfield. My friend wants to but that's his problem. I will not waste money to watch that. As I said before, is Hollywood running out of ideas where they have to steal them from comic books and video games? Geeze, why dont the make Myst the Movie. :shudder: Oh wait... live action G.I. JOE... better yet: live action, CG animated Transformers. WTF! Come on... what happened to the orginal ideas? They need to stop raping our childhood here. :gets off of soap box:.