Megas XLR

so i was watching the above mentioned show (i kinda like it to tell the truth, who in their right mind wouldnt mount a '70 Cuda Convertible to be a giant robot's head?) and i was wondering what do the masses of MW think of the show?

I love it, personally.... but not everyone thought the same.

I think it's great, myself... great mix of goof and action, with a bit of in-joke on the side.

It was fun in a childish way. I think my friend and I got a kick out of it because the two main charactors were a pretty good mirror of what we were like in our youths. :p

Edited by GobotFool

• 3 months later...

YOU - Dig - Giant Robots!

I - Dig - Giant Robots!

WE - Dig - Giant Robots!

CHICKS - Dig - Giant Robots!

NICE!

Personally, I think Megas XLR is a great cartoon series. Maybe the animation's a bit shoddy, but don't really expect much from cartoons like this. I've only seen three episodes, but I'm eager to get it on DVD once it's available.

My favorite had to be the slushy-machine one.

But really, it's just a joke. I can't stand how some people on the internet think it's cool to talk crap about it because it's america made(or designed, anyway.) The show's a comedy, a very funny one at that. :)

I think it is awesome! How can you not like a show that has so many hilarious nods to such classics as Starblazers, G-force and Voltron. Is it on the goofy side? Sure, but so is most Anime...and at least Megas XLR is intentionally goofy. The whole show is meant as a homage/satire of Japanese Giant Robot shows, and in that regard it shines...and it takes place in Jersey, now how funny is that? :lol:

The show is hilarious when I went to visit my family in July they had in a block party on CN and I watched it with my dad and nephew. My Dad was actually almost in tears at one point he was laughing so hard. My Nephew didn't get that particular joke and I barely got it, there are so many pop culture references in it too, mostly 80's but some older, that even adults can enjoy it. So here were three generations in one family liking the show, and all for different reasons and getting different subtle little jokes throughout it. Of course since my Dad is going deaf he could have just heard something wrong that started him laughing, lol, but he still thought it was "neat" show.

I wonder how many of you caught the Macross paradies in two different episodes? :p

In the episode where Jamie takes the car for the drive, Coop and Keeva are playing a video game with something that looks suspiciously like a Super Valk. In the bounty hunter episode a store manequin gets smashed that's an exact dublicate of the robotic one from DYRL?.

Edited by McKlown

how can you not like the show? its hilarious, anyone see this weeks when megas was in a no pakring zone and got towed?

That is my favorite episode so far. You got Coop and the other guy trying to get Megas back and then the girl fighting that alien chick with Predator dreads. I laughed my ass off.

I like it... it was not bad... the only time when the show did get serious is when they are fighting the Glorf at the same time having Coop (I should say the writers), always finding a way for the bad guys to be humiliated in every episode through it's battles... though I did miss the bounty hunter episode.

I love it!!!!

Sure it has some kiddie humor (like the pop rocks and soda bit :D )

But it is like one of the last few shows I can find on tv today that's not trying to be a public service message. . .

Just blatant ass kicking from start to finish!!!

I also love Coop's cocky attitude about all situations no matter what!!!!

He has that thing wired for whatever but then the unthinkable happens :lol::D:p !!!!!!

Man, I love this show. It has nods to old anime, nods to fan favorites like the Blues Brothers, and all sorts of other in-jokes. Love it....

I just hope they keep making it. With Coop's victory over the Glorft in the last episode, I'm not sure where they will go with it...

I've caught the occasional episode and while I can see it's appeal to a few people for me it does nothing. I neither like it nor dislike it. It's just another kid's show with bright colors, things that happen and big explosions. This show is definately not aimed at adults but at the same time it is not aimed at 6 and 7 year olds. It seems to me to be another one of those shows that CN is famous for like Samurai Jack... shows that are smart enough to risk being "over kid's heads" but usually land square in the laps of pre-teens. The show is just edgy enough to be something a parent who normally turns off the Simpsons would let their kid watch.

The show is proactive... and edgy-cute... to the max. Like Courage, Samurai Jack and all the other shows CN makes. It's downside may be that the show is not too marketable as the audience it has is probably made up of pre-teens who would not buy toys anymore and crazy sick old people like us who would demand "collector grade all diecast 1/10th scale super articulation" versions of the items in the show. I think it will last about two or three seasons then get replaced in benefit of something else... like all CN shows.

My favorite episode thus far is hands down the S-Force episode.

Yeah... well.... I kinda like it sometimes. It doesn't really grab me... but it doesn't repel me either. I think the robot is kinda stupid looking too and that's my whole deal.. but then again, I used to think the Big O looked stupid too... so maybe Megas will grow on me.

Overall I'd give it a Meh+

I think it is awesome! How can you not like a show that has so many hilarious nods to such classics as Starblazers, G-force and Voltron. Is it on the goofy side? Sure, but so is most Anime...and at least Megas XLR is intentionally goofy. The whole show is meant as a homage/satire of Japanese Giant Robot shows, and in that regard it shines...and it takes place in Jersey, now how funny is that? :lol:

I've only been able to sit through two episodes of the show, The Regis 5 ep. and the Gatchaman parody. It's an okay show, but not anything I could watch religiously.