my first macross toy in my life

柿崎速雄

hey, that was my first Macross toy too, but I got the skull 1 version and it still look ok in battloid form. But Sucks in everything else. I hated it so much after opening the box and finding out it can't transform for shitzzz, I jumped over to transformers for years before ever coming by to Macross because of this toy. :angry::angry::angry: If only I reach a little bit more to the right it would have been a Joke machine. :angry::angry::(

Is it that serious?

"From Battroid..to giant Moth"?

"Giant Moth" because "Gerwalk" in Japanese is ガウオーク "GAUOKU".

"Ga" is the pronunciation of the word for "moth". (Look here.)

I don't know if the rest of the word contains a pun on a word for "giant" or "enormous", etc.

Anyway, the Gerwalk mode does look kind of like a Sphinx moth (hummingbird moth, hawk moth) at rest, and those moths are known for their ability to hover. Here's an especially big one from http://pacificislands.fws.gov/wesa/sphinxmoth.html

post-4-1080940215.gif

hey, that was my first Macross toy too, but I got the skull 1 version and it still look ok in battloid form.  But Sucks in everything else.  I hated it so much after opening the box and finding out it can't transform for shitzzz, I jumped over to transformers for years before ever coming by to Macross because of this toy. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  If only I reach a little bit more to the right it would have been a Joke machine. :angry:  :angry:  :(

Is it that serious?

yeah..at that time I was small and transformer was getting pretty popular.

The Convertors were apparently legal (or semi-legal) versions of the Macross designs. A company called "Mark" apparently partnered with Takatoku in making the cheapo Macross toys (as well as other cheapo versions of Takatoku's toys like Orguss and Beetras). Mark later sold them to a company named "Select" which marketed them as Convertors in the US.

As if the name "Convertors" wasn't enough of a ripoff of "Transformers", the stickers are reminiscent of the Decepticon logo--at least to my untrained eye, since I'm not into TF.

These links are the best info I could find--most of it comes from Ginrai of Masterforce, who is also a member here if I'm not mistaken.

http://pub32.ezboard.com/fmasterforce94688...opicID=22.topic

http://www.pimbrecords.com/mfo/3.0/robotlife1987.html

http://www.toyboxdx.com/data/takatoku2/beetras.html

The Macres stuff though is pretty clearly an effort at bootlegging Macross.

Edited by ewilen

wow the "covertors", I had these as well ,some of the earliest verison of any sort of Macross toy I owned, they also had some of Orguss, Dorvack, Ovelon and a few others in this series. I used to get them at the Christmas Tree Shops that are all over Massachusetts, the only place I knew that sold them, every time my family and I went up there they would let me and my little brother buy some. At the time I thought they were very cool but then again I was probally about 6 or 7 and any sort of robot was cool back then :) .

this brings back memories

Chris

BTW "GIANT MOTH" what the hell were they thinking? I guess it could be worse, how about "Flying Cockroach" mode :)

figures... I sold the two I had in box not long back for a song and after I am gioving my remaining one away for the cost of shipping people start asking for them!!!

anybody want the small transforming cyclones before they go to ebay?

I don't know why... but this thread has to be the most interesting to me out of any in this whole forum.

There's nothing like a good hit of memory lane. I swear, I forgot these things existed until a couple of days ago. :)

These damn Convertors should be selling for $500 on ebay.... :D

Giant Moth... classic.

The Convertors were apparently legal (or semi-legal) versions of the Macross designs. A company called "Mark" apparently partnered with Takatoku in making the cheapo Macross toys (as well as other cheapo versions of Takatoku's toys like Orguss and Beetras). Mark later sold them to a company named "Select" which marketed them as Convertors in the US.

As if the name "Convertors" wasn't enough of a ripoff of "Transformers", the stickers are reminiscent of the Decepticon logo--at least to my untrained eye, since I'm not into TF.

These links are the best info I could find--most of it comes from Ginrai of Masterforce, who is also a member here if I'm not mistaken.

http://pub32.ezboard.com/fmasterforce94688...opicID=22.topic

http://www.pimbrecords.com/mfo/3.0/robotlife1987.html

http://www.toyboxdx.com/data/takatoku2/beetras.html

The Macres stuff though is pretty clearly an effort at bootlegging Macross.

Thanks for the info, this is good stuff.

Here's a pic of the card for my "Zark" toy. And as you pointed out, on the bottom of the card it does say "Select" as well as "Mark".

post-4-1081126171_thumb.jpg

Damn -- were they really MADE IN JAPAN?

Yep. And although they looks pretty bad, the quality is very good. My Zark looks brand new, but my bootleg Macres 1J is floppy and pretty beat up.

And I personally prefer the Henke toy over the Banprestos.

Wicked Ace,

I got my last set off of Ebay. You can normally get them real cheep. The auction I won I was the only bidder. Most know these are very cheep and will not try to jack up the price on you.

a "set" off ebay... how long ago? I might have been the seller :lol:

I knew I should have set the starting bid higher :rolleyes:

Well, I finally dug out my bootleg Macres valk (my first Macross toy).

It looks like the bootleggers did a good job approximating the Takatoku box.

It's my first time attaching a photo to a post, so I hope this works,

This one looks like the one I had, except mine was blue in the places this one has gray and vice versa.

I checked ebay for one of these with no luck; I know somebody out there has one they'd part with.

I was very little (2 1/2) when I first saw Robotech, I remember my older brother used to have several small valks similar to the actual Banpresto. I know for certain they were bootlegs, very cheap and easy to break (that is the reason he had several, imagine a 8 year old keeping his toys in one piece with a 2 year old around) :lol:

When I bought my first Yamato 1/60 he asked me if it was like those pieces of crap he had when a kid that when transformed you didn't knew were the arms went and most of the time keep falling off, are those those valks?

Even the Basic transformation Valks I used to build out with legos were based on them, had no idea where to put the arms...

Edited by RichterX

Wicked Ace,

I got my last set off of Ebay.  You can normally get them real cheep.   The auction I won I was the only bidder.   Most know these are very cheep and will not try to jack up the price on you.

a "set" off ebay... how long ago? I might have been the seller :lol:

I knew I should have set the starting bid higher :rolleyes:

It was a Converters set MOC. It was the VF-1 in Skull colors, the Orgus and a SDF-1. I had some others when I was younger but no clue on what happened to them.

post-4-1081376048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mechafan

look i found some convertors on ebay I did not realize that they made the sd macross valks as well. they do not look to bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3187060447&rd=1

• 15 years later...