1/48 Blue Roses 002 Strike

Anasazi37

This was a commission from g3173. He asked that I not only recreate the Blue Roses 002 Strike in 1/48, but also give it a paint job with a "broken in" look. I started with a solid undercoat of sky grey and then applied sea blue, varying the intensity so it looks like a well-used valk. All metal and yellow colored areas and all of the decals were distressed/weathered using charcoal pastels. It's hard to see all of this in the pics because I prefer more subtle effects, but it's there.

While the Minmay Guard Strike was more challenging to create, this has to be my favorite custom. It's going to be really hard to send this one to its new home.... :(

Some of the pics are a little blurry--sorry about that. My digital camera wasn't behaving today....

Fighter

fighter_1.jpg

fighter_2.jpg

fighter_3.jpg

Edited by Anasazi37

I think you forgot to take out the pegs (in the nose cone) for the Gerwalk and Fighter Modes. :blink:

I didn't forget to take out the pegs, I forgot to paint them! I didn't notice the problem until I started taking pictures. :angry: They are drying right now and will be put back in tomorrow.

Just curious...how durable is the paint to frequent handling?

The paint job is pretty durable. I sanded down or used a Dremel on the parts that rub together to get rid of paint scrape and the clearcoat I use is tough. However, you should always be careful when transforming a custom.

Whoaaw..!

Hey Devin,

Awesome job! I'm so psych'd on finishing my BR squadron! only 2 more to go, but I already have someone working on that too :D I can't wait to get her in my hands!

Regards,

Gene

It looks like you're getting quite the nice collection; I hope you'll post the pics of them, together.

how'd you paint the box missles?

The UUM-7 box missles were a real headache to paint. After airbrushing the base coat of sky grey and the overcoat of sea blue, I had to use a very fine brush to hand paint the yellow and gunmetal sections of the missles. Talk about tight spaces.... I had to take it really slow to be as accurate as possible. I then weathered those sections and the decals with some charcoal pastel powder on a q-tip.

The UUM-7 box missles were a real headache to paint. After airbrushing the base coat of sky grey and the overcoat of sea blue, I had to use a very fine brush to hand paint the yellow and gunmetal sections of the missles. Talk about tight spaces.... I had to take it really slow to be as accurate as possible. I then weathered those sections and the decals with some charcoal pastel powder on a q-tip.

Great work! Actually you can remove the missle ends on the UUM-7. It takes a bit of beating on them, but it makes painting alot easier! I have done this to all of the customs I have done without a problem. Just glue back in when your done.

how'd you paint the box missles?

gah, I was hoping you'd have some trick other than handpainting those parts. oh well. why did yamato have to super-fuse that white part onto the grey parts?? woulda been so much easier if those parts could be separated.

That is the greatest VF-1 paint scheme EVER. Awesome work.

Great work! Actually you can remove the missle ends on the UUM-7. It takes a bit of beating on them, but it makes painting alot easier! I have done this to all of the customs I have done without a problem. Just glue back in when your done.

Good to know. I thought about taking a whack at them but you never know just how much super glue Yamato uses and it wasn't worth the risk. I'll defintitely give it a try on my next custom, though.