SDF-1's command tower

dedalus001

if theres one thing i learned from Return of the Jedi, its not to put a command tower portruding from the main structure of a ship. hey, the zentraedi had it right. but anyway, i don't think i'm the only one who notices the HUGE bubble of glass surrounding the main tower, and yet the only close call we see with this ulimately vulnerable structure is in DYRL with the N-Ger which miraculously gets vaporized by Hikaru. i guess i'm asking if anyone knows if the bridge was better protected than what i am assuming, and if not, laugh, laugh at the lucky survivors of humanity. i myself guess its just really thick glass, or maybe its OT glass, or maybe its not glass at all but a magical lazer barrier. correct me. please.

From what I took in the last eps. of SDF Macross is that there was an auxillary bridge - the large room where you see most of the action at the Macross taking place in the latter part of the series. The bridge crew returns to the main deck on the last eps. for the spiff finale. Reading the EU Star Wars books, especially the X-Wing books that brillantly go over about every detail of the space fights, including Star Destroyer vs. Star Destroyer warfare, they seem to have auxilary bridges as well.

In the naval ships that I've been on, there's the bridge, AKA the obvious target, and a CNC, were most of the actual combat is comanded from. I'm guessing that, in real life, the crew would have operated in that huge, probably better defended CNC instead of the cooler-looking bridge.

Take into account that that glass survived both escape from and entry into Earth's atmosphere, so it's got to be somewhat strong.

no doubt its strong- but you gotta imagine the bridge surrounded by a few q raus, or shot at by a few regults in the glass section. i mean, at least in gundam series (as much as i dislike the ships in that series) they wore spacesuits and had various countermeasures should a hull breach occur, but in macross, its sit and die, or run and die. they should at least have spacesuits on during battles. of course, because of the unexpected launch/surprise attack, maybe they were ill equipped, but still.

Hahahaha. Look at the Captain running for his life. :p I agree with dedalus001 and the bridge crew SHOULD be wearing some kind of protective spacesuits. I remember a couple of scenes in Gundam: Char's Counterattack where the bridge crew (on the Zeon ships) would transfer to a secondary bridge just before battle.

But, much like the Enterprise the bridge of the SDF-1 is vulnerable (even moreseo). :(

If I remember correctly, doesn't each level of the bridge also have it's own windows?

i think theres only that bigF*CK off window and a bunch of levels in the command tower. you think that there are a bunch of small windows from watching the scenes with cpn gloval and the bunnies from their area, but its only a "shelf" of the whole tower.

if theres one thing i learned from Return of the Jedi, its not to put a command tower portruding from the main structure of a ship. hey, the zentraedi had it right. but anyway, i don't think i'm the only one who notices the HUGE bubble of glass surrounding the main tower, and yet the only close call we see with this ulimately vulnerable structure is in DYRL with the N-Ger which miraculously gets vaporized by Hikaru.

Kamjin shot the tower once, but well below the bridge. And the pinpoint barrier absorbed a lot of the damage.

UN Spacy Posted on Mar 27 2004, 02:18 PM

Hahahaha. Look at the Captain running for his life. 

Lol. Gloval's really hauling ass out there. Its probably made out of the same material the portals are....don't we see a Super 1A blow up outside one later on in DYRL?

From what I took in the last eps. of SDF Macross is that there was an auxillary bridge - the large room where you see most of the action at the Macross taking place in the latter part of the series. The bridge crew returns to the main deck on the last eps. for the spiff finale. Reading the EU Star Wars books, especially the X-Wing books that brillantly go over about every detail of the space fights, including Star Destroyer vs. Star Destroyer warfare, they seem to have auxilary bridges as well.

In the naval ships that I've been on, there's the bridge, AKA the obvious target, and a CNC, were most of the actual combat is comanded from. I'm guessing that, in real life, the crew would have operated in that huge, probably better defended CNC instead of the cooler-looking bridge.

Take into account that that glass survived both escape from and entry into Earth's atmosphere, so it's got to be somewhat strong.

CIC not CNC- stands for Combat Information Center

in Dyrl dindt a direct hit blow up the tower areas of the SDF-1 and the bridge surrvive? ill try to find a pic.

No, the Meltrandi ship was aiming for the twin booms on the back of the SDF-1 in Storm Attacker mode (aka freaking huge mech). If you watch DYRL, there's a bit of the booms left, well above the command tower.

danger.gif

Yeah I know I stole it from yellowlightman's site, but he's not here now is he? :lol:

I'm sure Sean won't mind. And he's around more than you know. lol.

He has a great site that has a bunch of non standard pics. And also hosts the MFC for us artists.

As long as you give credit where credit is due. ;)

In DYRL it apears that the Macross's bridge is just an open area. In the TV series the bidge deck is fully enclosed, meaning that even if an attack breached the giant outer window, the bridge crew would still survive.

Well my take on it, is there is a huge peice of glass there because its a better field of vission than monitors and cameras provide, but that there is enough room between the glass and the outter edge of the supersructure that if the glass was comromized, emergency pannels would slide down and up to seal the bridge, in the same way the pannels do when a hole is put in the main hull.

Well my take on it, is there is a huge peice of glass there because its a better field of vission than monitors and cameras provide, but that there is enough room between the glass and the outter edge of the supersructure that if the glass was comromized, emergency pannels would slide down and up to seal the bridge, in the same way the pannels do when a hole is put in the main hull.

My take on it is that given the opponent's preference for particle beams, anything that blows the windshield out is also going to vaporize everything ebhind it.

Heck, they could use a good old visible light laser and slhash the crew up without even damaging the window. Assuming the glass could handle the thermal stresses, or was 100% transparent.

In the TV series, each section of the bridge was a self contained part of the hull itself. The large transparent hull simply covered another sealed hull wherein sat the bridge (which had a narrow veiwport as well).

Indeed, the DYRL version had no such interior hull sections and was all one open bridge.

Yes, command towers are all very big and vulnerable targets, but quitenecessary not just for veiwing area, but also for communication and detection equipment. I would think however, that the pin point barrier system would more than compensate for the traditional bridge vulnerability. Indeed, there was one instance in which the SDF-1 was hit by the main gun of a Zentradi cruiser and was sucessfully defended by the PPB system.

Yes, command towers are all very big and vulnerable targets, but quitenecessary not just for veiwing area, but also for communication and detection equipment. I would think however, that the pin point barrier system would more than compensate for the traditional bridge vulnerability. Indeed, there was one instance in which the SDF-1 was hit by the main gun of a Zentradi cruiser and was sucessfully defended by the PPB system.

Only partially.

There WAS severe damage to the command tower.

i suppose that theory is better than the "chewing gum" used in Gundam '79 to patch up holes.

In the TV series, each section of the bridge was a self contained part of the hull itself. The large transparent hull simply covered another sealed hull wherein sat the bridge (which had a narrow veiwport as well).

Indeed, the DYRL version had no such interior hull sections and was all one open bridge.

i'd love to agree if they used it more often in the tv series. past ep 13, i can't remember the macross using the pinpoint.

random thought - couldve conserved energy in ep 36 and wasted it on a final dedalus attack on kamjin, or maybe not. . .

random thought - couldve conserved energy in ep 36 and wasted it on a final dedalus attack on kamjin, or maybe not. . .

Don't think they had any destroid left onboard the Daedalus. And the whole point of the Daedalus Attack is not the fisting, but the ability to blow the enemy from the vulnerable inside.

On the other side, they could have AIMED BETTER :angry:

UN Spacy Posted on Mar 27 2004, 02:18 PM

Hahahaha. Look at the Captain running for his life. 

Lol. Gloval's really hauling ass out there. Its probably made out of the same material the portals are....don't we see a Super 1A blow up outside one later on in DYRL?

It looks like he just cleared his command chair like a hurdle... :lol:

Yes, command towers are all very big and vulnerable targets, but quitenecessary not just for veiwing area, but also for communication and detection equipment.  I would think however, that the pin point barrier system would more than compensate for the traditional bridge vulnerability.  Indeed, there was one instance in which the SDF-1 was hit by the main gun of a Zentradi cruiser and was sucessfully defended by the PPB system.

Only partially.

Arguing over semantics. The PPB served it's purpose and kept the bridge intact. There was a single hole in the side of the bridge and the long range radar was knocked out. Every other critical system on the bridge was fully functional, including short range radar.

Had the PPB not been there, the bridge likely would've been destroyed. Hence, the PPB compensates for the traditional bridge vulnerability on the Macross. Point stands.

In the TV series, each section of the bridge was a self contained part of the hull itself.  The large transparent hull simply covered another sealed hull wherein sat the bridge (which had a narrow veiwport as well).

Yes, command towers are all very big and vulnerable targets, but quitenecessary not just for veiwing area, but also for communication and detection equipment.  I would think however, that the pin point barrier system would more than compensate for the traditional bridge vulnerability.  Indeed, there was one instance in which the SDF-1 was hit by the main gun of a Zentradi cruiser and was sucessfully defended by the PPB system.

i'd love to agree if they used it more often in the tv series. past ep 13, i can't remember the macross using the pinpoint.

The pin point barrier system was shown in other instances, including the final battle with Bodolzaa's fleet in Episode 27 "Love Drifts Away" (specifically during the SDF-1's penetration of Boldolzaa's mothership). Also, earlier episodes established the PPB as a viable system onboard the Macross and thus it's unnecessary for the creators of the show to feature the PPB in use as an annoying repetitive sequence every single episode of the series.

Edited by Mr March

On another note

Hikaru was scoffed at since his attempt to save the bridge was "unneccesary"

Maybe Misa knew something we don't

that it may take more than a few direct flies to crack that windshield

My gues would be indeed that that Big piece of glass isn't up to your usual "Mil-Spec"

but a helluvalot more

In the TV series, each section of the bridge was a self contained part of the hull itself.  The large transparent hull simply covered another sealed hull wherein sat the bridge (which had a narrow veiwport as well).

The pin point barrier system was shown in other instances, including the final battle with Bodolzaa's fleet in Episode 27 "Love Drifts Away" (specifically during the SDF-1's penetration of Boldolzaa's mothership). Also, earlier episodes established the PPB as a viable system onboard the Macross and thus it's unnecessary for the creators of the show to feature the PPB in use as an annoying repetitive sequence every single episode of the series.

lol that's a good point. has anyone here seen/remember the cartoon The Centurions, where these guys have these suits that connect to airplane parts, boat parts, etc. you have, good, you get my point with half of every episode taking up the transformation time.

POWER EXTREME.

k im done reminiscing, back to my insane amount of late spring break homework/

Only partially.

Arguing over semantics. The PPB served it's purpose and kept the bridge intact. There was a single hole in the side of the bridge and the long range radar was knocked out. Every other critical system on the bridge was fully functional, including short range radar.

Had the PPB not been there, the bridge likely would've been destroyed. Hence, the PPB compensates for the traditional bridge vulnerability on the Macross. Point stands.

There was still a large gaping hole in the command tower.

Had Kamjin aimed higher, it would've ventillated the bridge, barrier or not.