Ace Combat 5

yea they sucked hard in part 2. The only thing cool bout them was seein actual people in the game.

I am glas they got the A-6 in. Ever sicne watching countless reruns of wings on discovery channel and flith of the intruder(yeayea i know but it was WAY btter than iron eagle) I hav liked the intruder.

I really would have liked it if the A6-F and Tomcat 21 programs were given the go ahead. BAd ass grunman heayweights, a upgraded fleet aior supereiority strike fighter, and a big ass bomber with some sidewinders in case intercepted and tomcats aint there.

way better than stupid hornets.

I too hope they modeled the F-14 right this time as well. they almsot made it TOO manueverable in AC4. I think Ac2s f-14 flight model was more accurate since the F-18E ZOe was hard to get a hold of and shoot his ass down.(took a couple minutes) rathjer than in 4 when i can annhilarte bogies with my tomcat within 2nds of entering the arena.

BTW I think the posterboy plane will still be the super flanker this time around. i mean come on when HASNT it? To me it seems namco likes it better than the F022 they render a whole lot.i hope we get Fj furioes too!

Just hope they have the Eurofighter Typhoon and Tornado as they did in AC4. Hey, I'm British, so I prefer flying British planes! :D

A Sea Harrier would be nice as well, but Namco seem to have something against Harriers :(

And just for once, it would be nice if the A-10's 30mm Avenger cannon had more power, range and a different firing noise to all the other guns. I'm so glad AFDS got that correct.

Graham

If you like fighters from the 60's, you should check out Strike Fighters: Project 1. Nothin' but vintage goodness. There's mods and add-on aircraft for just about any 50's-70's fighter (and some bombers, too) you can think of. My personal favorite is the Yak-28P. Love that bird. Game's a little old and buggy, but with the patches, it's a great sim.

post-26-1080325220.jpg

If you like fighters from the 60's, you should check out Strike Fighters: Project 1. Nothin' but vintage goodness. There's mods and add-on aircraft for just about any 50's-70's fighter (and some bombers, too) you can think of. My personal favorite is the Yak-28P. Love that bird. Game's a little old and buggy, but with the patches, it's a great sim.

Wow the Yak-28 is a rather obscure bird!

I have strike fighters somewhere but I could never get it to work quite right.

I've always loved the Tu-128/138/148s.

Vostok 7

It's exactly what we want. If we want sims, we go play sims--plenty to choose from. If we want arcade-style, we play Ace Combat. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself, David. Besides, at least Ace Combat usually has a nice selection of planes... the PC sims seem to fall into two groups- the WWII sims and the more modern ones that have something like three planes to choose from.

As far as I'm concerned, I think some vairants of the F/A-22, F-16, F/A-18, F-15, F-14, F-117, F-35, Su-37, Eurofighter, Mirage, Rafale, and the Su-43 (or whatever they're calling the plane formerly known as S-37) are basically givens. I hope they don't do too many variants of the same fighters... I'd rather see more fighters.

Somebody's working on a -25, not sure about a -31. It may be too "recent" for the community. I'll check. It'd be pretty sweet, though.

Yeah, the -25 was late '60s and I think the -31 was mid '70s.

Mike, the S-37 became the Su-47

Vostok 7

a squadron of prowlsers IS 4-8 dude.,

A prowler squadron just like a C-2 or E-2 squadron consists of a dozen-14 aircraft and detachments (usually under the command of a Lieutenant Commander) of 4-8 aircraft depending on what the CAG wants and thinks he'll need are sent to the carriers.

Nice, the US site says you can give wingmen orders this time around. Now as long as their AI is good and they show some initiative and don't just fly around in circles until ordered to do something. Now I'd like to see some more creativity on the mission design side of the game. And hopefully get a little bit more realistic withe the flight model, i.e. have the different planes perform differently and like Graham said, make the A-10's Avenger cannon more accurate instead of the same vulcan-esque gun all the planes had in AC4 (its the the little things which matter the most) :lol: .

I really want planes to stall in prolonged/tight turns. No more 1080's until you get behind the guy. There's a reason planes have both an instantaneous and a *sustained* turn rating... (as well as minimum speeds for a given bank angle--no 80 degree banks at 200kts)

Plus I want F/A-18's to have massive drag and all that entails. And I'll be checking to see if the Super Bug's pylons are all messed up, just like the real one's. :)

Acceleration characteristics would be nice, but are generally ignored (boy would it alter high-speed/high-altitude fights--F-4's would QUICKLY become a much more popular choice). (And Super Tomcats would actually be at a disadvantage) And I'd take the F-111 if the goal was speed, speed, speed. Probably outmanuever the pig that the MiG-25 is, and actually have a decent load-out.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I know it's an arcade game, but what are the physics like in this series. I have only played PC sims until I picked up Secret Weapons over Normandy, and I gotta say I was disappointed. I felt like I was flying in space, it didn't feel like flying at all.

I am not expecting MS flight simulator, but how about something that at least feels as real as Aces of the Pacific/Europe, or Red Baron 2?

If this game has that, and somewhat realistic weapon's loads I might be interested.

Ace Combat has always been arcade like, with a more "realstic sim feel" if that makes any sense. Hard to descibe. I'd suggest picking up AC4 since it's only $20 now...one of the best PS2 games out there overall...

yea you know this game an ae combat in general is GOOD. Lets face it man to say all console sims are crap is overlooking everythiung./ Ace combat AFD strike, and aerowings never set out to give you a freaking real total life todeath flying experience. if you want that you WILL not get it on the console market. ZThats obvious. what console is a ram whore with more ram than a high end PC, a joystick, a keyboard, uyses gigs for a sim, and MASS markets a sim? NONE. iuf you want realistic sims dont even bother with consoles. consoles are stictly bout instantaneous FUN.

if you want killer real life stuff get falcon 4. actually makes ui AFRAID to go one on one against an SU-27. you get the real FEEL with falcon 4 more so than any other PC sims. yes i said simes I uysed to play a bunch of them and have a bunch too,.

Acer combat is all about fun and it IS. FOr the hardcore flight junkie who wants to go right in thactoin without reading a damn novel than ace combat is perfet., us hardcore junkies appreciate anything with planes. ace combat aint no exception buddy.

the CLOSEST you will get with realistic sims on console is the aerowings series. It has blackouts, redouts, stalls, and most of the planes function REALISTICALLY. no granted the F-14 and any other plane wojnt flat spin on you but in GENERAL each plane has ideal characteristics respectable to their aircraft.

for example

F-4 vs F-16=GOOD LUCK. A hard level F-16 Ai opponent will annhilate you if you dont knwo how to maste rthe phantom which is more of an energy climb and zoomb fighter. Dont even TRY out turning a falcon in that thing.

F-14=for some reason this thing cant max out at 7.5 gs;;;only at 6.5. No blacking out and when landing on carrier you DEFOINITELY feel like its heavy and u realize why its a damn turkey low and slow.

F-16-nowe this bastard is a damn turning figher. for you ace combat junkies who have no idea what realism in a sim is like at all this is THEE plane to use to kill anything alive

F-15=raw power and speed and good turning for a big ass plane.

Did i mention the F-4 likes to wobble like hell if u pull the stick back too hard?

also when too slow in vertical the tomcat likes to hang floating negatively.

The F-4 is no turning fighter so ythose of u used to ace combats F-4...THINK AGAIN.

anyways the versus mode is WAY more fun than ac4s 1 v 1....your opponent cant outturn you by throttling up and pullin stick.

NOOOOOO

this game in versus mode truly seperates the men from the boys.

this game is semirealistric and out fo all the games demonstrates it best on console. dogfights are heaven sent to me when versindg myt friends.

The F-18 can even pitch up its nose high alpha pretty instantaneous;ly at low speed.

ace combat has some realism but not much. no fighter can possibly carry 68sidewinders! and the flight mdoel is WAY exaggerated...unlike aeriowings 2 s goofd model.

again dont expect a pc sim out of aerowings. just expect a console sim WITH respectably realistic flight qualities.

i got aerowings 2 whih is its predecessor in the states for dreamcast

-WAY more realism....learn why the phantom ...sucks when fighting against the teen fighters

-learn why the MIg 15 could outturn the phantom in nam....the F-86 in the game can tear the phantom to shreds(again both dependinfg on pilot if u know what ur doing a phantom is easy to kill witha saber aka outturn)

-F-18 has good instantaneous high alpha pitchup

-F0-14 cant max out over 6.5g

-landings are MUCH more difficult. ace4s carrir landings aint nothin compared to aero elite.

-Aeowings/elite is all about realistic dogfighting nad fighter pilot training. LOT of training. limit to 4 missles per plane. well in the one i got.

-versus mode is MUCH btter than ac4. ac4 consists of holding r1 and pulling stick all the way. in aerowings if ur a newbie and ur opponent a veteran dont know..he WILL kno the minute u startr playting...none of the planes are FORGIVING. pull back on f16 too hard =black out

pull too hard on f4-spiral and wobbly fgeel. it just wont go.

-helps u realize why duke cunninhgham was bad ass...he made the phantom haul ass and from what i see in that game...thats HARD to do.

F-104 is NOT ideal for dogfighting.

-Ai is MUCH better than Ac4.

-but overall the game depending on who u are aint as fun.

me i like it. IM used to pc sims and i LOVE dogfhting. i can assure u if ur a perfect ac4 killer u WILL gwert shot down in aero eluite. the ai when hard IS hard.

makes u a better ac4 pilot though. oh yea phantom in 1st level ac4 is NOTHING compared to aero elite.

A little off topic but how does Aero Elite: Combat Academy stack up against ace combat series, Delta strike or any other flight sim/game?

Ed

Comparing Aero Elite vs. Ace Combat is like comparing apples and oranges. Aero Elite is the closest you'll get to a flight sim on any console. While not as meticulous as any top grade PC flight sim, it features a lot more realism than in all the Ace Combat games combined. Training missions in AE may seem mundane, like performing a successful barrel roll, loop, etc., but it does pay off after playing a lot of AC (where flight physics just go out the window). Graphics-wise, Sega's AM2 division did a bang up job with the plane models (I think they were even assisted by the JSDF), but Namco's renditions are just a tad better. However, AE does allow you to pilot helicopters and Harriers, something the AC series has yet to feature.

AC, on the other hand, gives you really pretty planes with a truckload of missles and bombs to blow crap up. You can't go wrong with that (ignore Lethal Skies, Top Gun, etc.).

Anyhoo, they're both fun games, just on different levels.

It's exactly what we want.  If we want sims, we go play sims--plenty to choose from.  If we want arcade-style, we play Ace Combat.  :)

I couldn't have said it better myself, David. Besides, at least Ace Combat usually has a nice selection of planes... the PC sims seem to fall into two groups- the WWII sims and the more modern ones that have something like three planes to choose from.

As far as I'm concerned, I think some vairants of the F/A-22, F-16, F/A-18, F-15, F-14, F-117, F-35, Su-37, Eurofighter, Mirage, Rafale, and the Su-43 (or whatever they're calling the plane formerly known as S-37) are basically givens. I hope they don't do too many variants of the same fighters... I'd rather see more fighters.

Yeah? do all these wonderful fighters you can choose from have the same flight characteristics and payload? the same range and limitations?

No true combat aircraft fan would ever buy an Arcade sissy game over a realistic sim(use your PC other than posting on forums) if he can help it.

Personally, I could never play an arcade sim game after experiencing PC sims. Don't give a crap how the game looks or plays.

BTW, Janes Fighter Sims allowed you to choose from dozens of Aircrafts. Janes combat sims may be less sophisticated than it's contemporaries, but it's still a whole lot better than ....lol...ps2 console games.

Ace Combat 5 = "Battlecry"

i got aerowings 2 whih is its predecessor in the states for dreamcast

-WAY more realism....learn why the phantom ...sucks when fighting against the teen fighters

-learn why the MIg 15 could outturn the phantom in nam....the F-86 in the game can tear the phantom to shreds(again both dependinfg on pilot if u know what ur doing a phantom is easy to kill witha saber aka outturn)

-F-18 has good instantaneous high alpha pitchup

-F0-14 cant max out over 6.5g

-landings are MUCH more difficult. ace4s carrir landings aint nothin compared to aero elite.

-Aeowings/elite is all about realistic dogfighting nad fighter pilot training. LOT of training. limit to 4 missles per plane. well in the one i got.

-versus mode is MUCH btter than ac4. ac4 consists of holding r1 and pulling stick all the way. in aerowings if ur a newbie and ur opponent a veteran dont know..he WILL kno the minute u startr playting...none of the planes are FORGIVING. pull back on f16 too hard =black out

pull too hard on f4-spiral and wobbly fgeel. it just wont go.

-helps u realize why duke cunninhgham was bad ass...he made the phantom haul ass and from what i see in that game...thats HARD to do.

F-104 is NOT ideal for dogfighting.

-Ai is MUCH better than Ac4.

-but overall the game depending on who u are aint as fun.

me i like it. IM used to pc sims and i LOVE dogfhting. i can assure u if ur a perfect ac4 killer u WILL gwert shot down in aero eluite. the ai when hard IS hard.

makes u a better ac4 pilot though. oh yea phantom in 1st level ac4 is NOTHING compared to aero elite.

Damn straight! Playing DID's flight sims made me a virtual fighter ace. I could probably outfly 3 quarters of the clowns on this topic B))

Here's a scenario a console sim player might use...ummmm..ooooO the "Topgun" I'm gonna let him get close then pull the brakes and shoot him with an AIM-54C Phoenix while he passes by crap. Sheee...I'd pump his canopy full of 25mm bullets before his sorry ass even knows i'm on his 6.