Ace Combat 5

yea me and david can be labeled the hardcoresd with that pc stuff too but we both still enjoy ac4.

Its fun. dont expect some realistic all out dogfiughting experience that makes you scared to actually dogfight an Su27 in real life. if you want that stick with falcon 4.0 Ace combat is a arcade game. if its so pitiful than games like afterburner should have never been made and flight combat fans like me would have thought arcades just freaking sucked. uf theres fun non realistic games like street fighter and semirealistic stuff lke gran turismo, it aint fair that us combat fans get left out. im glad namco makes ace combart and they are damn good at it. fun is their emphasis not realism. if you want realism the closest thing is PC.

BTW i hope to god there is WILD WEASEL missions in ac5 guys. growler shows something with antiradar.........

• 2 weeks later...
I wish you could turn off the sound of the background without turning off the sound in the trailer.

Me Too

Since it looks as if most of the aircraft are naval, I hope the Carrier landings are a little bit more complicated than in AC4, maybe add in a Fresnal Lense.

Watched trailer. Overall, loved it. Nitpicks:

1. Well at least they got rid of the F-14's ailerons, but still forgot the tailerons. Surprising, considering how heavily they featured and showed the Hornet's tailerons. (Namco seems to alternate every other game in if they "remember" that the Hornet has tailerons) But nobody ever gets the F-14's, despite the whole "if it doesn't have ailerons, and the spoilers can't be used when the wing's swept--how do you expect it to roll when the wings are swept?" Also, the nice long head-on shot in the beginning of The Final Countdown clearly shows the stabs moving differentially like crazy throughout the approach. :)

2. Going off of the above one---finally got tailerons on the Hornet again, but they're used too much. You can clearly see it during the "vertical climb, than a modified hammerhead" the Hornet does about midway through the trailer. The h.stabs go like 90 degrees apart from each other! When used differentially, they move a lot less than when together. This applies to all planes, not just Hornets. (I think it's a stability issue, you'd start inducing kind of a barrel roll, rather than a pure roll)

Just waiting to see what "high-end" planes we get. :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

• 4 weeks later...

Got this off the tech tv site:

"Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War" (PS2) is the latest in Namco's combat-flight sim series. It features 30 new levels of combat, 50 licensed real-world planes, and some of the best-looking combat flights we've seen on a console system. New for this release is the ability to control your wingman, giving you additional midair combat support.

Looks like you do get control your wingmen.

There's a new trailer up at the US site as well, and for all of you YF-13 lovers it's in the trailer.

And just for once, it would be nice if the A-10's 30mm Avenger cannon had more power, range and a different firing noise to all the other guns. I'm so glad AFDS got that correct.

Graham

AMEN. I was so disappointed when I used the A-10 for the first time, and the cannon had no difference from the onboard cannons on the other fighters in AC4.

A Harrier would be SWEET as well!!

But, ultimately, it would be even better if they had an unlockable VF-1 in there somewhere. :lol:

That rocked. YF-23!

Anyone else notice these F-14's had a different scheme than the previous ones? These are in Jolly Rogers 60th Ann. colors. Everything but the skull. The older ones were in NSAWC colors. These should have been B's, really hard to see the differences in like 240x resolution! :) Thankfully, we also see F-15 and F-16's, so "the big four" are all represented. And I only saw one Flanker. :)

A couple of the weekly HK gaming mags have articles on AC5 'Unsung War' and they show pics of some of the characters. Gone are the cell animed style of previous games. Instead in AC5 they are replaced with more photo-real looking CG characters that look like real people rather than anime characters.

Graham

That kinda sucks, that's one of my favorite things about AC4 is that it totally reminds me of Anime, Gundam 0080 to be specific.

On an anime related note, it's not listed on IMDB yet, but one of the guys talking in the beginning is Steven Jay Blum - AKA Spike Spiegel, I would bet money on it.

• 3 weeks later...

::looks at pics:: I'm impressed, the F-14 B's and D's ARE different. Need better pics of the D's to make the really nitpicky checks, but they got the basic differences right. (Though I am thinking the B has a D's seats, can't tell without more pics--can't wait to check out the in-game cockpit views for the two) Really impressed, considering that the "D" in the last game was 100% an A...

Hey David, I don't recall there being an F-14D in AC4... I only had an A model... am I missing something? AC4 kicked a serious amount of ass... my only complaint is that it was short! I always loved watching the replay mode.

Wow, the screenshots for AC5 look absolutely amazing... there's even a picture of an S-3 viking! Looks like this, and Gran Turismo 4 are on my definate buy list this year....

whoa... late to this thread... always figured myself for a PC sim gamer (Aces over Europe, B-17, etc.. yes, I enjoy bombing runs and sitting in a ball turret, call me wierd. Now if only they could put out a B-29 sim...), but this REALLY looks good... and if it's got Dave's mark of approval, it's good as gold =)

Like the screenies, esp. this one: http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/...13021157157.jpg

mm.... you can be my wingman(er.. wingwoman) anytime :D

Is Ace Combat 4 really worth it? I'm rather leary of PS2 flight games due to the lack of a proper stick... not to mention my only other arcade flight game on the PS2 is RT: Battlecry <_<

The game is highly enjoyable and now cheap! (since I have "connections" inside hastings, a friend of mine that worked there was able to pick up a "used" copy for me for less than $10). As I said before, my only regret is that it wasn't longer.

The fighters are well detailed, sound effects are pretty decent (although, there is no distinction between different kinds of guns... as was pointed out earlier). If you're looking for a game to burn up the sky whilst annihalating anything in your path, this is your game. If you want so many different controls it isn't even funny, go find a sim. Directional control, weapons control, throttle, targeting control... that's all you get (and for this game it's all you need).

LOL, I remember the first time you encounter AA fire from "Stonehenge"... gotta stay below 2000 feet and burn through this canyon with flankers on your tail on the way home... the first time I played it it freaked me out. It rocks!

LOL, I remember the first time you encounter AA fire from "Stonehenge"... gotta stay below 2000 feet and burn through this canyon with flankers on your tail on the way home... the first time I played it it freaked me out. It rocks!

There was one time I was in the Tango Line blowing up those Harrier and Hind bases, I decided to push my luck and blow more people up when the Stonehenge alert came in. I ended up flying around those canyons there trying not to die.

If you love hauling ass down a canyon with bandits on your ass, play the Wind Valley level in AF Delta Strike.

heh im playing it right now in ace difficulty and flak and aa KILLS fast! Holy crap i used to fly into gun fire not caring but in ace mode you just cant...armored bathtub in A-10? more like armoreed TARGET.

I got killed last night using a F-15 enemy ace scheme ACTIV when someone creeped up and shot ONE yes ONE missle at me.

THe game is immensely good, the BEST air combat arcade came on console(note i did not say SIM) and very REPLAYABLE. If anything I choose free flight mode to practice doing cobras in my flankers. Also there are many repaints of planes to buy and hunting aces takes time and dedication,..well worth it thiough since you can get their paint schemes and they in general look much better than the normal ISAF planes. Like the tiger meet phantom, that is bad ass.

It is definitely worth it but if you want a sim, get aero elite academy instead. Aero elite is much more realistic and i classify it as a console sim, meaning dont expect realistic avionics but expect flight models to dramaticalyl differ than the arcade sims.

Over all ace combat 4 is an immensely fun game and the replay mode looks realistic enough to confuse you with wiungs footage on discovery channel.

BUY IT!

Hey David, I don't recall there being an F-14D in AC4... I only had an A model... am I missing something? AC4 kicked a serious amount of ass... my only complaint is that it was short! I always loved watching the replay mode.

Wow, the screenshots for AC5 look absolutely amazing... there's even a picture of an S-3 viking! Looks like this, and Gran Turismo 4 are on my definate buy list this year....

I don't recall a D in AC4 either. Only an A.

The only recent game that had a D I recall was in Airforce Delta Strike.

The only thing I don't like about the replay mode is the fadeaway overhead shot they use sometimes... that's the only mode that looks truely "fake" to me.

Nothing like being on one side of a map and being told to intercept a target clear on the other side *sigh... do a half-loop, select "zone 5" and thunder across the sky*

I would love it if they implement sonic booms in AC5.... get into a high speed persuit and watch the boom rings all over the sky.

People really dog on the wingmates in AC4, but I can recall a few times I've actually seen them shoot down an enemy plane. They're programmed to not attack "mission-specific" targets, but they'll go after any air support.

The wartime broadcasting that happens while you're liberating that city is pretty cool too (..."is that fighter with the ribbon marking up there?..." "... It's still dark, but we can hear the fighters that shot down those bombers over us now....") or other missions ("Is that Mobius 1 above us??") and so on.... makes ya feel important.

I thought the story was pretty gimpy at first.. in the american version the guy talks in a pretty monotone voice. It grew on me later though.

Edited by Skull Leader

::checks:: OK, so it is an A in AC4. Still remember my disappointment at it having ailerons though :p

AFDS is the one with the "D that's 100% an A" plus an even worse model than AC4's.

From the trailers, AC5 has a much improved F-14, but I bet it still flies totally wrong. (As in, has ailerons, or doesn't use tailerons, etc)